• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From a few days ago but couldn't find a thread on it

TL;DR
  • Update 1.5 for XboxOne and PlayStation 4 is live NOW-ish (we're waiting for the update to appear across both platforms) and is available as a free update
  • PC and consoles will unfortunately have disparity going forward
  • We would like to set the proper expectations at this time. Should we find the opportunity to revisit and solve the disparity in the future, we will do so.
Preface

I know that we have not delivered on the Consoles as we should have, or even promised at one point. Where we are right now, I know that we still can't. I want to change that for the future, but in all honesty, we won't be able to do that for PAYDAY 2. We are however making the changes needed, so we can do it right for the next one from the get go.

Consoles has always been something of an Achilles heel in our production pipeline and while we've made several efforts through the years to strengthen the team and effectivising the PC production to better align to consoles, it hasn't been enough. As of April 2019, the PAYDAY 2: Crime Wave Edition with its DLC's is almost caught up to PC, but not quite.

We've had to look at the future console updates from our situation as it looks today, with the limitations that we have, rather than looking back at what has been said and done before and make choices accordingly, even though they might not be what we wish them to. We simply have too many constraints in available manpower to be able to fix the situation in the short term. We see this as an opportunity to, at least, be as forthcoming as we can be regarding the road map ahead.
PAYDAY 2 for Nintendo Switch

We're very sad to announce that PAYDAY 2 for Nintendo Switch will be very unlikely to see further updates, despite what our initial ambitions were on the contrary. As per above, we've been forced to make many hard decisions along the road, and this is yet another. To put the Switch version separately into context, the transfer of the game over to the Switch-platform was not made in-house and would require significant further investments to happen.

We are very aware that this was undesired news, but we'd rather be clear to set the expectations now.

Conclusion

If you've made it this far, you might be present to the fact that we have chosen to word several things above as "highly unlikely", "very challenging" or similar. To reiterate: This is by design to give everyone the proper set of expectations, to be as clear as we can be in our communication going forward, without future promises or timelines. We are, however, very unwilling to close the door completely on some of these issues, and will keep our previous promises in mind as we continue working to secure our business. Should we find the opportunity to revisit these challenges, we will do so.

As someone who bought the Switch version and had fun this is a kick in the balls. The game needed a patch so badly and they promised one but then never released it.

Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is we told you so.

Overkill sucks. They said the same for PS360, then PS4 and XBONE and now Switch. They can't be trusted and I suggest everyone the same.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given everything I heard about the devs and console ports, this isn't surprising

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've made many posts in the switch announcement threads stating so, there was a group of people who didn't want to believe and fought back. These devs just aren't to be trusted.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Didn't one of their employees say to just get it on a platform where it works a while back?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
given everything I heard about the devs and console ports, this isn't surprising

They promised to be better (around the time of the Switch release) but in the end it seems these feelings never went away:
Bw3jLdaIcAECyPe.jpg

Bw3jqNXCYAA-YDF.jpg

4DCGV7J.png

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Given that the company almost collapsed entirely and PD2 is only back in production because it's their only revenue stream, I would've expected they'd be more interested in selling DLC on consoles, not less. Their finances must still be absolutely dreadful if they can't risk investing even that much.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Overkill has shafted every platform that wasn't PC, if I played on console I would never consider buying their stuff.

Wate

May 22, 2019
I love Payday 2 on pc and have almost 1000 hours in it, but there really is no defending Overkill when it comes to their history with the console versions, it's absolutely shameful. And if Payday 3 ever does get made you can bet they will do it again.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If they're not going to fix the broken Switch port then they should delist it from the eShop.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The company is on its last legs anyway, I'm not surprised they're cutting down to the bare essentials. Wonder if there's just something fundamental to the development pipeline that makes it so hard to develop parity between PC and consoles.

PC and consoles will unfortunately have disparity going forward

Making it sound like there wasn't a gigantic disparity before.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
PD1 on PS3 was tons more fun than PD2. I never got it on consoles cause of the Twitter comment linked above, but when I did get it on pc they had the big loot box fiasco and honestly way too much ancillary DLC. Then the whole company changed management or something but honestly we needed a Payday 3 like 4 years ago.

i wonder how different people would feel if the tekken guy said this and not a woman dev
I mean he kinda already does but the FGC is a special flavour of bootlicking for that to be relevant here. I saw that tweet when it was 20 minutes old and I never knew it was a woman until you pointed it out.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
i wonder how different people would feel if the tekken guy said this and not a woman dev
I've seen this image like 6 times and I didn't know she was a woman as this is the first time I've paid any attention to the name of the account, because of your post. It's a dumb statement regardless of who said it. Come on.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with the Switch port?

It was released with a ton of missing contents, really bad FPS, and tons of bugs. They promised a patch shortly after launch but then went radio silent and then just never did anything. Still selling for full price too.

Edit: Pretty sure this blog post is the first they've talked about the Switch version in any meaningful way since it launched well over a year ago.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember years ago that they somehow convinced their fanboys that the PS4 and Xbox One needed funds to allow them to put the patch up cause Sony and MS had this policy. Even though at the start of the gen they got rid of it.

They have been pulling scummy shit years ago. Even back in the Payday The Heist days when they got people to advertise the dlc by vandalizing the internet (like Wikipedia)

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Have these developers ever actually delivered on their promises?

I understand development can be difficult, and when the whole company has financial trouble, even more so, but don't make promises you can't follow through on, and don't sell shoddy, broken products on the back of those promises.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It was released with a ton of missing contents, really bad FPS, and tons of bugs. They promised a patch shortly after launch but then went radio silent and then just never did anything. Still selling for full price too.

Edit: Pretty sure this blog post is the first they've talked about the Switch version in any meaningful way since it launched well over a year ago.
Oh dear

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have these developers ever actually delivered on their promises?

I understand development can be difficult, and when the whole company has financial trouble, even more so, but don't make promises you can't follow through on, and don't sell shoddy, broken products on the back of those promises.

They released the Ultimate Edition that was promised to give all DLC for the game for free until Payday 3 released.

Very recently they broke this promise and started selling the new DLC and not including it as part of the Ultimate Edition.

I get that there's some financial stuff but it's not a great look at all.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is the second time they straight up abandoned console versions, honestly platform makers shouldn't let them do this

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
When they shitted on last gen machines with that "Get a PC" line on Twitter, I was done with them.

Loved the gameplay, though. Shame.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm totally comfortable calling this shitty and labeling them frauds seeing as they were pulling this shit with the console versions long before Starbreeze tanked.

Done with this team and their games, best of luck selling that sequel, especially on console.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the switch release thread. Don't buy from them they are shady and will drop support at any moment.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

They released the Ultimate Edition that was promised to give all DLC for the game for free until Payday 3 released.

Very recently they broke this promise and started selling the new DLC and not including it as part of the Ultimate Edition.

I get that there's some financial stuff but it's not a great look at all.
Lol, is this really that surprising though? This is just one note in the enormous amount of shitty things they've done to community over the years. And MOST of it was before they were financially in the shitter

I'll just quote myself from the old thread when I told people not to buy the switch version
Well, let's go over what Overkill is a garbage ass company. Strap in because this shit list is huge.
Starting in 2015
At one point, Overkill added stat boosting microtransactions in the form of weapon skins after promising they would never add MT at all and insisting players should feel shameful if they thought otherwise.

Soon after that they
added stat boosting weapons skins now there are skins that boost experience and money earned that stack for every other player who has the same type of skin.
Team Boost is our new feature that has a chance to apply to a weapon skin with an experience and money bonus. The Team Boost benefits the whole crew when completing a heist and it stacks if other players also has a skin with Team Boost.

They also as part of the game's Spring Break Event in 2015 a limited time paid DLC pack called the Completely Overkill Pack was sold for $19.99 USD and included four masks and the promise of exclusive, secret content to be released later on that would be cosmetic only.
Q: In the Completely OVERKILL Pack, a secret item is offered. Does this item somehow increase those players advantage of the game or are they simply cosmetic items?
A: The secret item is cosmetic. It will not make you better than anyone else. This pack is for anyone who wants a way to support OVERKILL in developing the free Hype Train content for the community. Based on this, it’s up to you whether or not you want to purchase the pack. For those who support us, we’re happy to give them four cosmetic items along with an additional secret item to be revealed at a later date.

The content was released and it featured weapon skins with the experience boosts and seven packs of DLC if the player doesn't own them already. If they already have the DLC, they receive nothing in its place. There were 50,000 Completely Overkill Packs offered and were sold out.
The Completely OVERKILL Safe and the Completely OVERKILL Drill are the awaited secrets from the Completely OVERKILL Pack which was released during the Hypetrain event. The Completely OVERKILL Safe will come bundled with a Completely OVERKILL Safe Drill, that opens the safe.

The Completely OVERKILL Safe is a special safe and we will give one to each player that has bought the Completely OVERKILL Pack, regardless of activity, which means you can log into the game at any time to receive it.

A total of 50,000 of these safes will be given out to reflect the 50,000 copies of the Completely OVERKILL Pack that were sold. The Completely OVERKILL Safe contains an exclusive collection of 25 weapon skins. The Completely OVERKILL Pack-owners are guaranteed a rare, epic or legendary weapon skin upon opening, which can be used, traded or sold.

Owners of the Completely OVERKILL Pack today also receive 7 DLC for free. These are automatically added to your library. Included: Butcher's Western Pack, Gage Assault Pack, Gage Sniper Pack, Gage Historical Pack, Armoured Transport, Overkill Pack, BBQ Pack.

Overkill were doing such a shit fucking job at being decent that some of their steam moderators literally refused to do work.

After this shitstorm they issued this response
Today's AMA isn't going well

There's a shitstorm going on at the Payday Reddit today, and for good reason -- the devs have recently implemented microtransactions after they promised they wouldn't. This particular category five is based on an AMA held by Overkill producer Almir Listo, which fans are going crazy over.

For starters, Listo deflects every well-intentioned question regarding the implementation of microtransactions, and attempts to directly PR-speak the community, which is a bizarre tactic. He also outright blames the media for misrepresenting the topic in some sort of desperate straw-man maneuver, when it's clear to practically everyone that this was implemented in one of the poorest ways possible (basically in the dead of night under the guise of an event called the "Black Market Update").

Despite the blowback though, the microtransactions are here to say. Listo confirms this in the AMA, noting, "We understand that there is a lot of fury, anger and disappointment with us adding this. From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended."

The thing is, Overkill will probably stand to make a lot of money on this system, preying on whales and casual players, leaving their dedicated fanbase in the dust. While I don't have an inherent issue with microtransactions in games where they're easily ignored, the fact that they already promised that they wouldn't implement them, and proceeded to ignore their dedicated community with tone deaf, canned responses is troubling.

The real question is -- will it be worth it in the longterm if they don't budge on this.
Which is basically summed up as "Fuck you we got money"

Oh, here's even more shit they've done which i'll pick out for you
Threatening To Delete Vital Updates

Overkill specifically say on the Crimefest site that anything not reached will be deleted. That meant deleting these turret changes which people have been asking for since the thing released. "Got bored of grinding the challenge? Alrighty, keep your turret then". The same could be said about the weapon balance. Yes, it has some issues but overall we needed one. Would that have just been scrapped if we didn't make it?

Update: During my interview with Almir, he said they never would have deleted anything and just released it later. That means either the entire RTC was pointless, or that was just a quick attempt at covering "Wait, we said we would delete stuff which turned out to be critical"

Events Centered Around MT's/Skins

This shouldn't be a thing. We have a 30 day timer to find a hidden safe and crack it for bonus loot. It is not a good idea to make the only immediate incentive behind an event something that is already a hurricane of controversy. "These people seem to be angry about this. Let's make them work to get more of it!". That's not how you deal with controversy. You do not have people that are angry with something jump through hoops to get a differently colored version of that something.

John Wick as the Crimefest secret reward

This one was a burn that left a bad taste in the mouth of the community. An ad for another character that many people still do not like was used as the final reward for a long campaign in the Payday community. The entire point of Crimefest was to give players content for free that would have been paid had the Crimefest goals not been met. Wick was the final goal, an admittedly hard one to reach. What if we didn't unlock him? Would we have been expected to pay the $4.99 price tag character packs use for a walking advertisement?

Completely Overkill Pack

Another one people avoid talking about like the plague. This one is simply a mess. First of all, before release it was mentioned that no DLC would be over ten dollars. Here we have (or rather had) a limited-time DLC for double that price. It was called support for Overkill, but them providing something in return at the same time of the transaction means it is downloadable paid content, regardless of how you view it. People saw it as Overkill asking for donations and they had the following to say:

There is not a single word anywhere regarding donations. As always with our community, we ask for your support.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how asking for support via a monetary transfer is different from a donation in any way except name. On top of the four masks included for this, there is another cosmetic item still unreleased. It was announced that this would be a random cosemetic item from a pool of 25 different ones. This one angered several people, myself included. This meant the community essentially paid $19.99 for the default masks with added lights and an RNG roll. When people began talking of refunds, this pack was released days ahead of the explained date which made refunds near impossible. That seems very fishy in my eyes. People have since begun refunding their copies of the Completely Overkill Pack if they still own them, and Steam has reportedly oblidged based on the fact that part of it is still unreleased and a secret. At this point, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I still own my COP. I'm clinging on to hope that if the community makes enough noise, Overkill will move remove the RNG and give all the owners all of the items. I know that seems farfetched and is WILDLY unlikely, but with a price tag that was at the time two thirds of the game itself for only cosmetic items, it seems fair to request alot of the items or at the very least the choice of which item from the pool we get.

Update after it released:

COP is skins with stat buffs (making their cosmetic only line a complete lie). 1 of 25, some worse quality than the free safes from Slaughterhouse and FWB. To make it worse, their "apology" to COP owners for the wait was to give 7 DLC (one of those was the Ovk Pack which they specifically said is not included). What do you do if you own these 7 DLC already? Well ♥♥♥♥ you, here's a skin. That's right, people that bought DLC get LESS from the COP than people who bought only that

Another thing that bothers me is how the DLC was handled, and I'll touch on that. Remember the statements that said the Overkill Pack was not part of the Completely Overkill Pack? When the COP released, it actually DID have the Overkill Pack. Along with 7 other DLC. This was a problem because the vets who bought all the new DLC as they came out ended up spending more money to get the same amount of content as people that just bought the COP and called it a day.

Update 2:

If you refund the back you lose any of the 7 DLC tied to it that you bought previously. You don't get your money back for those either. I have a theory that this is to prevent refund attempts on the off-chance it works. Why would you refund something you don't like if doing so takes a pile of stuff you DO like?

It took them over 3 years to deliver a feature that was advertised at launch.

Even more false advertising
Exclusive Content

It was promised before release that players would all have a fair and equal shot at all content. Now, that isn't the case for the following:

E3 2015 masks (require you be in attendance or happen to see an Overkill member's twitter)
Humble Bundle 1/2/3/4 masks (require you purchase them during a limited time frame)
Alienware Alpha masks (require you own an entirely different gaming device)
Several masks and weapons from Hotline Miami update (require you own Hotline Miami)
Jacket Character Pack (require you own the special edition of Hotline Miami 2)
Paydaycon 2015 Mask (Same as E3)
Kawaii Dozer Mask (Require real life bobblehead purchase)
Dead by Daylight

Two of those are unavailable for all future players. Four of those require money on a product outside of Payday 2 which people might not want, but are forced to miss out on content for not supported something entirely else.

Misinformation

Overkill has a slight reputation for not always being correct in their announcements, intentionally or not. This reflects poorly for obvious reasons. Here are some examples:

The most recent update (at the time of thread creation) mentions fixes to bugs which clearly are still in the game.

When asked why police do not have hitboxes in their arms or legs, an Overkill staff member said the engine would be unable to handle it. Later in the thread, somebody posted a video of them modding those hitboxes in flawlessly in a single afternoon

Flashbangs only appearing with police to throw them

See safehouse customization

This statement: "People sometimes forget that we're a relatively small, independent developer studio. We're roughly 45 developers at OVERKILL and Starbreeze combined."Notice how they call themselves an independent developer. This statement is entirely false although they continue to hide behind it. An independent developer is one that publishes their own games. Overkill have never done this. SOE published Payday: The Heist while 505 published Payday 2.

Them being children
The Walking Dead

This was handled almost comically poorly and left a black spot on Overkill's record. They posted a one-day timer that revealed a one-week timer that revealed a one-month timer. No joke. What so many people hate about this one is Overkill used Payday's resources to build hype for something entirely different. During the month, daily audio tapes released and many referanced the events of Payday 2, furthering the implication of it being Payday-related. The biggest slap in the face when it turned out to be something else was that the wait finally ended....on the one-year anniversary of Payday 2's launch. It didn't help that when people accussed Overkill of a bait-and-switch, or even said they just didn't like it, the response was "Grow Up. It's our forum, we do what we want" on Twitter. That site is where some Overkill staff have had some outbursts or just been outright mean to fans, such as this: https://twitter.com/PergerBoy/status/508312647914500097/. Also, this gem

:

Consoles were fucked then and still fucked now lol
Consoles

Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game has been abandoned. The additional releases on Xbox One and Play Station 4 are now over 400 days without update, despite constant claims of it coming soon. As somebody who originally played on console, I feel for console players. Developers shouldn't play favorites in such a way.

Now we hope the present where

Digital Foundry says that the switch version has no dynamic resolution and runs at 1600x900. This contradicts Almir himself saying that switch version features up to a 1080p resolution in TV mode. There's also reports coming out of it being quite buggy. This is on top of the fact that the switch version is several months behind on content with it missing key features like voice chat.

Oh, did I mention the enormous amount of gouging with DLC? They released about 3 dozen DLC addons throughout the life of the game. All but a few not costing money. The DLC featured some of the best gear in the game, meaning higher difficulties were much much harder without them. Not only did some of the DLC feel necessary to have, but it was also priced absurdly high for the content offered. The majority of the DLC was $3 for weapon packs which featured a handful of weapons (i'm talking like 3). Characters were $5 and all maps were $7. The maps cost $7 EACH and sometimes were very short and small. There was DLC several times A MONTH most months, with the free content being next to nothing outside of the crimewave events. And even with the addition on microtransactions, they still fucking released about a dozen pieces of DLC which cost money.

Oh hey, they also recently increased the price of the game in a sneaky (not so) ass way. You are now forced to buy the ultimate edition with all the dlc. You can no longer purchase just the base edition of the game. So the game went from costing $20 to $45. For extra fuckery, you can no longer buy individual DLC packs. You know what that means? If you only bought some of the DLC before this, you are now forced to pay for the entire ultimate edition to get the rest! Wow, what a company lmfao
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/PAYDAY_2/

But yea, this tweet totallyyyyyyyy mis-represents them as a company ;)

TLDR which covers some of the old fuckery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lQ9g518cg

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I said it in the switch release thread. Don't buy from them they are shady and will drop support at any moment.
On top of this their games have absolutely horrendous gameplay. Who is seriously having fun playing F holding simulator or Payday 2 whatever its called

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Is there definitely no more updates? I just realised you can do 1 full infamy a heist if you have someone with a big crime spree. Went up 3 infamies in an hour. Does that not break the infamy system. Like that's too easy.