• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/7yuljb/the_switch_version_is_below_update_130/

The Switch version is below update 130.
Update 130 was released over a year ago. The PC version is currently at update 172.
Update 131 was the John Wick Heists update, and it also changed the billboards in game to the new community made designs. [The Switch version has these billboards](https://youtu.be/unR5c3z08AA?t=1m10s) so I thought it was at least Update 131, but as it turns out, the John Wick Heists are missing from the game ([This thread](https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ay_2_arrived_early_will_try_the_game_for_any/) has a lot of information. Specifically the following images. Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't take them)
https://i.imgur.com/NgfJcCB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UM8vdIs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mk85VgC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ASMG2ht.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/evIw4cs.jpg
Although the images don't show it, apparently Jimmy and his heists are in the game. Sangres, Duke and H3H3 are all missing which means there's no way it's over version 144.
This means that so far, the footage Overkill has released "on the Switch" is just the PC version with Joy added in capped at 30 FPS, or for some bizarre reason, they updated the billboard textures but left the rest of the updates out... ?
Someone has pointed out that Panic Room is also missing from the heist list meaning **the Switch version could potentially be below update 118, which was nearly two years ago, and is even further behind than the PS4 and Xbox One versions.**
The John Wick Heists were released February 9th, 2017. The Switch version, on release, is already over a year outdated. No Crime Spree. No AI Henchmen. **No Desync Update.** Four characters, three perk decks, 16 guns, 8 melee weapons, 2 grenades, 9 heists, at LEAST 50 masks, countless bug fixes and optimizations just... missing.

I mean... I guess I'm not surprised by this. Overkill already did a terrible job with the other console versions.

A day one patch could fix it, but Overkill doesn't exactly have a history of doing a decent effort on consoles.

For $50 ($65 in Canada), I really expected better. Especially after the effort for titles like Rocket League and DOOM we've seen. This costs more than the PC version at full price...

UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unR5c3z08AA
It's update 147, which is from the first week of June 2017. The PC version is currently on version 172. So it's nearly 9 months out of date, rather than 12 months

Last edited:

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As you said, console versions of Payday 2 have always been a whole heap of updates behind the PC version. I have zero faith in Overkill to actually keep all versions in sync in terms of updates.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bw3jqNXCYAA-YDF

EDIT: DAMMIT.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
As you said, console versions of Payday 2 have always been a whole heap of updates behind the PC version. I have zero faith in Overkill to actually keep all versions in sync in terms of updates.
I was already weary of this version but they've managed to subvert my expectations and do an even worse job. I'm honestly impressed at this point.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
about what i expected. wouldn't trust these devs at all after how they dealt with the PS4/Xbone verison.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked. Shocked!

Where is that thread where people tried to warn switch users but got told off because they were "holding a grudge" and things would be different with overkill this time because switch magic.

JaynePea

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, the PC version ended up being a sloppy mess of DLC, so I'm not surprised they couldn't keep up on consoles. I don't even know why they bothered

Oct 27, 2017
While I could imagine them pulling that shit, I'm still waiting for official confirmation.

The link in the OP seems to be based on guesswork. The Switch build hes referencing could very well be an outdated development build.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the PC version ended up being a sloppy mess of DLC, so I'm not surprised they couldn't keep up on consoles. I don't even know why they bothered

Sloppy mess? No?
The maps were all playable for free if the host owbs the dlcs, the DLCs kept PayDay 2 alive for 4 years on PC and they were affordable, without counting the huge sales.
I really wont understand you guys. You want free support for a game with no dlcs and no mtx?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly...the most important stuff would be the Switch release performing and playing well - they can always add and update the other stuff down the line if the Switch version sells well enough.

As of now...if you want the best or latest PayDay 2 development you probably arent picking up the Switch version anyway. Im much more worried about the game running like crap than the lack of content.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Her twitter got deleted a long time ago.

It annoys me that people are crediting one level designer's opinion with the entire company's tho

Overkill complete disregard towards console versions are not credited only to that tweet but to ... well, their complete disregard towards console versions since they released them.

If it was really just the opinion of a level designer they would actually had put any effort in everything else

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly...the most important stuff would be the Switch release performing and playing well - they can always add and update the other stuff down the line if the Switch version sells well enough.

As of now...if you want the best or latest PayDay 2 development you probably arent picking up the Switch version anyway. Im much more worried about the game running like crap than the lack of content.

They could....but they have shown that they won't, was hoping switch would be up to date atleast on launch. Was somewhat interested if it was but this kills any interest for me.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

It annoys me that people are crediting one level designer's opinion with the entire company's tho

You're right, but the fact that 3 and a half years later the situation regarding the state and content of their console ports doesn't seem to have improved much is worrying.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
After the other console versions, I am not at all surprised. If you are in the market for a shooter on Switch, consider Splatoon 2 and/or Doom instead. I wouldn't advise supporting this given the developer's track record for console support.

EDIT:

The link in the OP seems to be based on guesswork. The Switch build hes referencing could very well be an outdated development build.

In that case, I agree. While I could see them pulling this, reacting to something without concrete evidence is premature. That said, I am fully expecting them to nickel and dime Switch players as they did with PS4 and XB1 players.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Let us not forget the last gen version of Payday 2. The support for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions was also abysmal. They claimed they'd do better with the Crimewave edition (PS4 and Xbox One), and they failed us then. It should come as absolutely no surprise that this is happening to the Switch version. Expecting otherwise is completely irrational.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the kind of person to hold grudges over past mistakes, but they bungled the last-gen version, promised to do better on the current-gen consoles and failed again, and now want people to invest on the Switch version that is extremely outdated to begin with, and chances are it'll stop being updated before it reaches the current PC version (let alone the version it'll have by the time we get there). Unless you're perfectly fine playing an inferior version (it's portable, for what it's worth), no reason to invest in this imho.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but maybe you should just buy the PC version then¨'

This was the actual argument of someone on the payday team iirc

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So Overkill dropping the ball again on a console version. They will never learn, will they?

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
ÂŁ39.99 on Switch
ÂŁ19.99 on Xbox
ÂŁ16.28 on Steam
ÂŁ24.98 on PS4

I haven't played Payday, but safe to say I wont be trying it out on Switch anytime soon.

It really is a bad meme at this point, and i am not sure how re-posting and re-posting this tweet settles, as this is just one person's opinion, but due to the constant re-posting over time, people may and will come to the conclusion this tweet is on Overkill as a whole.

In that sense, this meme, for better or worse, does not help Overkill at all and is quite damaging at this point.
That being said, i don't see Overkill actually making an effort to improve on their shoddy track record on consoles, now that the new news is out. What drove them even to the idea of ''Lets pick a point in our updates where we will branch off from the game, shall we?''?

Unfortunately you see that happen too often with studio's with questionable members. Kingdom Come had that issue, Witchfire had that issue, and there was another one that i can't remember tbh. I always try to seperate the member from the studio itself because all the other members of said studio aren't guilty at all, but because so many people are inclined to blanket labelling studio's as a whole, they end up being guilty by association. With arguments like ''Why aren't they speaking up then?''. Many people forget that its still a job we are talking about. If the questionable member happens to be your boss, as is the case in the Witchfire thread, i can see why you wouldn't want to go against that kind of thing, even though you would want to.

I feel a similar case is to be had here with Overkill. One questionable member does not speak for all of them. Sadly Overkill as a whole is not exactly motivated to deliver a competent product on the same level as the PC version, so with all updates enabled. Didn't they say that the Switch version would have all the updates?

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aren't those the same developers that swore that the game wouldn't have never gotten microtranslations and then proceeded to put microtransactions in the game?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a really stark realization going on when you realize Doom is still being updated on the Switch and is now getting an incredibly requested gyro aiming feature as recently as yesterday, while Payday 2 only bothered to port the game as it was a year ago.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, given what I've heard, but it's still a pretty disgusting way to treat both a port and the audience for said port.

What particularly bothers me is the speculated bit on the Joy footage. It makes sense to try to present your game in the best way possible, but the implication that they wanted to make the game look more up-to-date than it really is doesn't sit well.

There's a really stark realization going on when you realize Doom is still being updated on the Switch and is now getting an incredibly requested gyro aiming feature as recently as yesterday, while Payday 2 only bothered to port the game as it was a year ago.

Yeah, the look's already pretty bad, but that does make it worse.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm disgusted by the filthiness of that person's Switch in the OP images. I know it's not yours, but holy hell I could never play on that thing.

This game was destined to be a shitshow. No one should've expected any different. Overkill are not to be trusted.