• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Now I know that those of you living in New York and such will balk, but I am starting work at a a major public university next week (actually my second time working there) and part of the new hire packet is that parking in the garage costs me $780 per year taken out of my paycheck.

Now this isn't mandatory thank God, but it means I have to find free street parking three or four blocks away every day. I'm cheap enough to make this hike, but it's super irritating especially in Arizona heat or flash floods. One of the perks of my current job was free parking in a garage.

Anyway I'm just venting. Fuck paying for parking for work.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how this company can afford to pay millions in salary but not cover parking for their employees. BIG SIGH. Sorry you have to do this OP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if i had to pay for parking id consider just not driving and commuting instead

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, welcome to the university struggle. The perks/hours/time off usually makes up for the parking bullshit though.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This has always been wild to me. I went to university at UH and it's one thing for schools to rob the god damn students over parking, but the gall of them to do it to the faculty was incredible.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
When I worked at a uni they had an early bird special that allowed you to get a discounted rate if you purchased your pass before the school year started, perhaps this uni does something similar?

Oct 26, 2017
Now I know that those of you living in New York and such will balk, but I am starting work at a a major public university next week (actually my second time working there) and part of the new hire packet is that parking in the garage costs me $780 per year taken out of my paycheck.

Now this isn't mandatory thank God, but it means I have to find free street parking three or four blocks away every day. I'm cheap enough to make this hike, but it's super irritating especially in Arizona heat or flash floods. One of the perks of my current job was free parking in a garage.

Anyway I'm just venting. Fuck paying for parking for work.
My wife works at a University in Illinois and has to deal with this shit too. It is mind blowing. I believe the union has tried getting it in negotiations a few times, but it never makes it through.

OP
OP
makonero

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
When I worked at a uni they had an early bird special that allowed you to get a discounted rate if you purchased your pass before the school year started, perhaps this uni does something similar?
Never heard of it in my time there. I'm too cheap to pay at all though. I can't conscience paying for parking if there are free options.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I used to work at the Optus business centre in Sydney and they outsourced their parking to Wilson (huge parking company) and charged $10 a day. It took almost half and hour to line up in the morning to get in and the same in the afternoons to get out. I ended up paying for street parking which was also $10 and could get in and out of there in seconds. Fuck any company making money off this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Do they provide you with a bus pass? If not, they should. Nobody's parking should be subsidized in a city, we should be working to kill urban car usage.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember my family in France was surprised to learn that we had to pay $18/day at the hospital my wife gave birth at in the U.S. The idea of paying parking at a hospital like it's an airport, a mall or an amusement park is kinda fucked up IMO.

My job also requires paying for parking, so I just bought an electric scooter and use that instead.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
relating

i had to park like a few blocks away where there's unrestricted parking zones then walk to the office for a year or so if i didn't want to pay for on-site office parking

it sucked

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Would you feel differently if it was presented as if parking was free, but people who opted out got a $780 bonus?

Feb 1, 2018
Idea: ask them to make you a 1099 contractor, uber to the office every day on a credit card and either invoice them for it and/or expense it on your taxes.

And then get yourself a nice laptop with all the rewards points

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See also hotels in Hawaii that charge guests forty bucks a day to park at their resort with no access to public transit.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this stuff is bullshit. I worked at places where we had to use public garages and pay for it--at a lower validated price but still. idiotic.

The worst was an internship I had at a fairly small company in west Los Angeles. No transit access from my location to them that would take under 2.5 hours. They were located in an area with only paid parking around for blocks and blocks, and it all had 2 hr limits. Meaning you had to go out multiple times a day to move your car to a different spot. And if you were busy with something--on a call, writing something for a deadline, you know working for them--and blew the time window, the meter maids in the area were ruthless. So even though they reimbursed the $12/day of parking or whatever it was, I got hit with two $80 tickets during my time there. The cherry on top? They had parking spots on-site. There were just enough for the principal and core employees, plus two or three extra for clients/etc. But we typically got there hours before the principals and left after them too, and there were days where no clients were expected in, and we still weren't allowed to use the spots.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely write that shit off on your taxes.

Tell them to note that expense in your paycheck deductions.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I work at a big university as well and we are charged for parking. It's the norm, and sucks. But it is usually a certain percentage of your salary, during the school year only.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You probably have decent health insurance and a pension, $30 every two weeks to have a parking spot isn't bad.

that's just how it is at a place like a university where parking is at a premium.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a recent change?

With the new tax law employers (for profit and not for profit) are essentially being taxed for providing parking and/or commuter benefits (like a metro card) to employees. If the employee is paying for the parking or transit then no tax

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
My employer charges for parking, but reimburses any use of public transport to get to work. I support their decision.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, on a job I had the contractors were kicked out of the company parking lot, because by the time the executives and directors arrived (like two or three hours after we were supposed to show up) there wouldnt be any parking spaces available. So we were actually punished for being good employees. Two or three people quit because of this.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh, my employer just gives out stuff like this away. Dunno if they pay extra taxes for it, but I park like 50 yards from the front door.

Oct 27, 2017
That's it? Here in Boston the parking garage attached to my building at work supposedly costs $350/mo and I don't think people working in any of the offices in the building get any discount

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
We definitely have to pay for parking, but the gig pays for bus/train up to $120/month. I have NEVER parked at work. It's a 45 to an hour commute, but fuck paying to park.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
yep same here. At least we can pay for it with pre tax money lol, how generous

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
That's fucked. My job only has 40 spots for over 100 employees so we have to park on the street that's a 2 hour limit. One of the managers called the city to come and mark/ticket the cars because he doesn't like that we park there and take possible spots for customers. He once saw me park and asked if I could move it and I said nah, he can keep calling the city but I'm going to continue to park there. Back when they used to mark the tires, one of the guys would go out there and try to clean them off or we'd move the cars around to where you couldn't see the marking.

OP
OP
makonero

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a recent change?

With the new tax law employers (for profit and not for profit) are essentially being taxed for providing parking and/or commuter benefits (like a metro card) to employees. If the employee is paying for the parking or transit then no tax
Nope, it's been a thing at this school for a long time.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Universities suck real bad for this.

I bet even if you paid you'd often have trouble finding a spot.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Truth. However, I worked a private research institute, who owned the property and the building outright, and they still made us pay for underground parking. Granted, the number of spaces were limited (*took me two years to even get a spot), and the rate was preferable to how much was charged at the neighboring uni. Plus, as has been mentioned, it was balanced by the fact that I got obscenely good health insurance. (The company paid nearly a $1000 in premiums on my behalf every month!).

Still feels like an injustice or a flat out a lack of respect, on the daily.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who works at a nonprofit research institute, and she finds a public parking space every day instead to avoid paying the pretty hefty fees they charge to use their own parking garage (though she has to move the car after a few hours).

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
See also hotels in Hawaii that charge guests forty bucks a day to park at their resort with no access to public transit.
Yeah this is some bullshit as well. I'm a Hilton grand vacations owner and self parking was fucking $49 a day at the hilton Hawaiian village when I went. Times 7 days that was $350 just to fucking park. I complained and pointed out that I'm an owner and luckily I was able to get it waived.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
780 a year to.park in the same area where you work? Lmao y'all are getting scammed.

And I say this as a New Yorker.