• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Squad Strike, which was the mode I was looking forward to play a lot. No Smashdown, which was also a mode I was excited about. Still no special smash and I don't understand why. And obviously, no more than 4 players.

I am mostly an online player, sure it's laggy but with a decent enough internet connection I can still get decent matches so I'm kind of disappointed that all these new modes that are basically ones of my most wanted things in Smash ever will not be played much by me since I don't play that much offline.

I expected something better after paying an online service that is so bad and still has horrendous features like the phone voice chat, I excepted Smash to at least compensate for this service but honestly I just threw up money to get something I already got a few months ago.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
8 player smash online is a no no

I agree about Squad Strike. Smash Down takes a lot of time though I dunno

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I mean technically you're paying slightly more than 1 dollar/month, Nintendo intentionally made the price so little to lower expectations.

Really the only things you're paying are cloud saves (which looks to be unlimited unlike PS4) and the retro collection.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what either of these things have to do with one another. I feel like there's some fundamental misunderstanding with a lot of people on here who think paying for an online service has remotely anything to do with which modes are available in an online game that uses it

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean technically you're paying slightly more than 1 dollar/month, Nintendo intentionally made the price so little to lower expectations.

Really the only things you're paying are cloud saves (which looks to be unlimited unlike PS4) and the retro collection.
Which don't work for games that it should work for. Everything about the Nintendo online service is shit and shouldn't get a pass like it is regardless of price.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
So it's still a laggy shit show like all the other Smash games online? If so, not unexpected but very disappointed.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I find the lack of smash down and squad strike to be huge omissions. Especially when we are paying now

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
But it still has the system from Wii-U, no? I had no problems playing lobbies with friends last time. I also never really experienced a ton of lag. Still lacks a lot which is a bummer.

Wait what you cant invite and play with friends?

Battle Arenas is the only mode to play with friends. Your friends can join your arena by entering the specific the friends menu on battle arenas or entering the arena code.

But that all requires you communicate with your friend through other way/app/system to tell them to join. You can't use the Switch native lobby system to invite friends (and them receiving a notification). Splatoon 2 is still the only game thet uses it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Which don't work for games that it should work for. Everything about the Nintendo online service is shit and shouldn't get a pass like it is regardless of price.

It doesn't work for Fortnite (but correct if i'm wrong the progression is tied to the account so you should be fine) and Splatoon 2 (and that's a bummer).

Works for all other games including multiplayer ones.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Battle Arenas is the only mode to play with friends. Your friends can join your arena by entering the specific the friends menu on battle arenas or entering the arena code.

But that all requires you communicate with your friend through other way/app/system to tell them to join. You can't use the Switch native lobby system to invite friends (and them receiving a notification). Splatoon 2 is still the only game thet uses it.
We all use Discord (used vent before) so that's fine with me. Though, i get and understand why it's stupid and a pain in the butt. It's time Nintendo evolves and joins the world with current features gave have had for about forever.

Apr 21, 2018
The online play in Smash Bros still has more options for fighters, modes, settings, and stages than perhaps any game of all time.

I think it's a bit of a hyperbole to suggest it's missing 'so many features', when it's missing a few things in a game bursting at the seams with features.

Oct 25, 2017
I expected something better after paying an online service that is so bad and still has horrendous features like the phone voice chat, I excepted Smash to at least compensate for this service but honestly I just threw up money to get something I already got a few months ago.
You don't pay for a service so smash can get more modes, you pay for a service so you can play smash.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there's no party chat is my biggest problem, it's pathetic.

I assume they want me to use that app but the whole point is to have the game audio + voice audio in the same place.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also there's no way to invite players.
Wait what you cant invite and play with friends?

Can't you do it via the Online Lounge (a.k.a. with the phone app) ?

Doesn't that use the app?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If there was ever a Smash game I had high hopes for quality online, this was it. Hopefully the matchmaking can be improved and it's just taking it's time sorting people. Splatoon is great for me about 95% of the time. With Smash you won't lose a match off of 1 drop either.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I can't create a party from the switch itself or even message my friends is infuriating. It feels like Nintendo is trying to force us to play locally

Oct 25, 2017
though alternatively, having less modes available online also avoids splitting the playerbase - so there's definitely a balance that must be kept in mind

but there are of course ways to have more modes available AND mitigate the splitting of the playerbase such as allowing someone to queue for multiple modes

are modes like squad strike and special smash available in the battle arena?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Online is a pay wall, not something that will give you more modes. That's not how it works in any system

get a pass for what? It's not like not getting a pass will change anything over how the online is.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm in a private room with just friends do I get all the options I'd get for local multiplayer?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You can invite people for Splatoon 2 matches using the app, are you sure you can't do that for Smash?

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds pretty terrible.

I was annoyed that I'd be missing out on online features in Smash for the first time with Ultimate, but it seems like there are basically no online features to miss out on :/

get a pass for what? It's not like not getting a pass will change anything over how the online is.

Yeah, just accept it! Not like consumers getting angry about being treated poorly ever changed anything in this industry.