• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Squad mode isn't available online? Damn that sucks, it'd be pretty cool to play with a friend online using this mode :( Sakurai pls.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether I can play with a friend online vs bots? You could do it in 4 I think.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
To the people saying paying for online doesn't mean it will improve the functionality or that we are paying for things like cloud save etc, why lock online play behind it then?

And regardless of whether it's paid or not, shouldn't there be an expectation of functional/relatively smooth online play in 2019?

I mean, I just got my switch with the Facebook deal and I am not sure exactly how the 8 player local multiplayer works, but shouldn't it work better than this?
https://streamable.com/nyczo

Nintendo can, and should do better.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I don't see the correlation

The people implementing the online service & the people that made Smash Bros aren't the same people

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Squad Strike should absolutely be playable online. Fans have been asking for that exact mode for years, and to finally get it with such limited functionality is a real drag.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Online in Smash is a big joke. I like Smash a lot, but honestly they needed some kind of living service for it. Just having an ELO is unacceptable in a competitive game in 2018/2019. I'm sure I'll play it and like it, but it's a massive bummer for me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. It's why I don't see value in paying for Nintendo's online service. Is Splatoon 2's tickrate still 16 Hz?

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Squad Strike really should be playable online with anyone. That is a damn shame and a huge oversight, hopefully they can patch it in.

Special Smash and Smash down not being on there is disappointing as well.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Paying for online was never going to improve online play or give us more modes.
It's a paywall not a service.

All that needs to be said, really. I don't know what some of you guys were expecting the moment Nintendo announced they were going to start charging for online with the Switch.

Concerning design choices corresponding to the actual game itself, I wish I could feign surprise that Ultimate is also lacking in online options that Smash 4 had.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Squad Strike should absolutely be playable online. Fans have been asking for that exact mode for years, and to finally get it with such limited functionality is a real drag.
Yeah it seems super cool and not being able to play it online is a bummer. I don't have any gamer friends to play with.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys realize Nintendo isn't mandating Sakurai to add/remove online modes, right? Sora LTD is an independent contracted company with Bandai-Namco as the developers as has been the case since Brawl. Very little of the decisions in the game are "Nintendo" decisions

To the people saying paying for online doesn't mean it will improve the functionality or that we are paying for things like cloud save etc, why lock online play behind it then?

And regardless of whether it's paid or not, shouldn't there be an expectation of functional/relatively smooth online play in 2019?

I mean, I just got my switch with the Facebook deal and I am not sure exactly how the 8 player local multiplayer works, but shouldn't it work better than this?
https://streamable.com/nyczo

Nintendo can, and should do better.

Nintendo's online system has nothing whatsoever to do with the netcode algorithm chosen for Smash. Not to mention even if Nintendo provided servers as part of their paid online system, that would be a terrible idea for a fighting game as P2P is actually idea, so it wouldn't be a factor anyway.

I have no idea what you guys are even talking about anymore

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what either of these things have to do with one another. I feel like there's some fundamental misunderstanding with a lot of people on here who think paying for an online service has remotely anything to do with which modes are available in an online game that uses it

This. Gamers should have resisted it across the board. It was never going to make the games any better. Its just a hurdle.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If there was anything you were actually paying for it was infrastructure costs. You're not paying for new game modes, you're paying for servers and matchmaking.

(Speaking from a hypothetical perspective that assumes Nintendo isn't just ripping people off, before anybody jumps me.)

Oct 27, 2017
8 player smash online was never going to be viable lol
People think there's some magic netcode algorithm that will allow smooth 8-player 60fps (at whatever tick rate needed for online) play on devices that primarily use wifi. You guys complain about it not being there, but would complain if they added it and, as expected, it's laggy

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any more than 4 players online isn't worth it, even with wired connections it would be an unplayable mess with 8. Smashdown would have been nice, even as a sort of drop-in drop-out thing, but I understand why it wasn't included since it takes close to an hour to complete a single complete match.

Squad strike and special modes definitely feel like a real bummer missing out though. Even if they were just included as a playlist option like the party crash stuff in Arms. At least they told us everything that would be featured a month ahead of launch, so it's not like it comes as a surprise. Smash online has never been more than fine and probably never will be.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said a million times that Nintendo's online offering is actually insulting. They expect us to pay for a worse alternative to virtual console, cloud saves that don't work for all games, a mobile app that nobody wants/uses and the ability to play online, all while not having basic online communication features that systems over 10 years old had. I get that it's cheap but for me, it's the fact that expect any money at all when they previously offered more on their other systems at a completely free price. It's just going too far imo and isn't a positive look for Nintendo, even worse when like has been mentioned some of their biggest games either don't offer online (nsmbu deluxe) or have absolutely shitty half hearted attempts at it (super mario party)

All in all the service is a complete joke and I wish people hadn't paid for it.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
If you need help connecting to friends just send me your Switch friend code info, name of the friend and their Switch code plus $5 service fee via PayPal and I'll hook you up for a session. Note I may not respond in a timely fashion bc I'll be doing something else.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There is no excuse as to why we cannot do 2v2 online from 4 different Switch consoles, it is inexcusable and really shows that Nintendo is still behind on a lot of shit. Playstation All-Stars did this on PS3... here you have to set up a private room for 2v2 or have 2 people one Switch to do the actual ranked mode... where is the logic in this?

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
You guys realize Nintendo isn't mandating Sakurai to add/remove online modes, right? Sora LTD is an independent contracted company with Bandai-Namco as the developers as has been the case since Brawl. Very little of the decisions in the game are "Nintendo" decisions

Nintendo's online system has nothing whatsoever to do with the netcode algorithm chosen for Smash. Not to mention even if Nintendo provided servers as part of their paid online system, that would be a terrible idea for a fighting game as P2P is actually idea, so it wouldn't be a factor anyway.

I have no idea what you guys are even talking about anymore

Maybe if it wasn't a first party title, but it is. If the platform holder is putting out one of its flagship titles and the first big title requiring their new new online service to play, they should have their developers work on making it a good showing for network play.

Again, not talking about features and extra modes (which honestly I wish it had more of online), that has nothing to do with the online being paid.

But a smooth multiplayer should be basic and expected for your flagship title and first major release requiring your online service. And it should be the same even if it wasn't paid...

Also there's no way to invite players.

Lol can you imagine...

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo still hasn't grasped that they need to provide a service like other companies. They just implemented a paywall.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's online is straight up pathetic and needs to be reflected more in review scores.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Not surprised that the online options blow in this game cause that seems to be a running trend with switch games.

In fact the service has always been an overall downgrade ever since we went from usernames on Wii U back to friend codes again on Switch.

Mexicant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's like $2 a month, chill out.

And the online is for all games, not just smash.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Gamexplain online discussion. TLDW: Has moments of lag, moments of smoothness. Still early though because the games not out.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Switch online is already pretty mediocre, so not surprising. Debatably the biggest multiplayer game on the console won't even be supported in just a few months, so doesn't surprise me that they've made other asinine decisions when it comes to online. It's like they're stuck in the mid 2000s in a lot of ways. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
You can't even change your character after an online match. You only get the option for a rematch and that's it....

Nintendo Switch Online everyone!

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Switch online is already pretty mediocre, so not surprising. Debatably the biggest multiplayer game on the console won't even be supported in just a few months, so doesn't surprise me that they've made other asinine decisions when it comes to online. It's like they're stuck in the mid 2000s in a lot of ways. But I guess you get what you pay for.
Which game are you referring to??

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
It's like $2 a month, chill out.

And the online is for all games, not just smash.

Doesn't matter if it's free...the online should work smoothly
I personally don't expect more features because it's paid, but I do expect smooth online play on wired connections. I was playing Dead or Alive Ultimate on Xbox in 2004 and it worked smoother than what I played of Smash Wii U and what I'm seeing of Smash Ultimate