• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean Splatfests ending? What does that have to do with Switch Online? The game will still be playable online just fine
I'm referring to the fact that big online games on the Switch are already limited as is, and now they're dropping support of one of their handful of good ones, which is silly to me. When you have limited draw you'd think they would do what they can to extend their support.

And it's updates in general that are ending, not just Splatfests.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
To the people saying paying for online doesn't mean it will improve the functionality or that we are paying for things like cloud save etc, why lock online play behind it then?

And regardless of whether it's paid or not, shouldn't there be an expectation of functional/relatively smooth online play in 2019?

I mean, I just got my switch with the Facebook deal and I am not sure exactly how the 8 player local multiplayer works, but shouldn't it work better than this?
https://streamable.com/nyczo

Nintendo can, and should do better.

To make money , the same reason why PSN and XBL charges you. Has nothing to do with improving the service

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Arenas is the only mode to play with friends. Your friends can join your arena by entering the specific the friends menu on battle arenas or entering the arena code.

But that all requires you communicate with your friend through other way/app/system to tell them to join. You can't use the Switch native lobby system to invite friends (and them receiving a notification). Splatoon 2 is still the only game thet uses it.
That is really dumb. Yes you can use Discord and other such services to coordinate, but i've made "friends" in games like Splatoon 2 and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection with whom i don't communicate, we just play together. In that case i can't just invite them to a match... Hope this gets changed.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Arenas is the only mode to play with friends. Your friends can join your arena by entering the specific the friends menu on battle arenas or entering the arena code.

But that all requires you communicate with your friend through other way/app/system to tell them to join. You can't use the Switch native lobby system to invite friends (and them receiving a notification). Splatoon 2 is still the only game thet uses it.

What a complete crock of shit.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What was proven false?
That Nintendo "stole" ROMs. It was recently proven that it was not the case
I'm referring to the fact that big online games on the Switch are already limited as is, and now they're dropping support of one of their handful of good ones, which is silly to me. When you have limited draw you'd think they would do what they can to extend their support.

And it's updates in general that are ending, not just Splatfests.
As was said before, the game had almost two years of new (totally free) content, and regular festivals, what else did you expect?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty terrible.

I was annoyed that I'd be missing out on online features in Smash for the first time with Ultimate, but it seems like there are basically no online features to miss out on :/

Yeah, just accept it! Not like consumers getting angry about being treated poorly ever changed anything in this industry.

It's not about accept it. You won't make Nintendo invest more on online. Bu hey, I definitely want to see you be able to do it.

Sep 28, 2018
If it turns out that the online mode is bare-bones and the net code is a dumpster fire, do you think reviews will reflect that, like they would a normal game? Or will it still be all 10/10 perfect scores because of the hype...

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope we get updates to the online stuff in time, as I'm sure this game will have long legs.

That said, I'm not sure what you expected. A console level sub has no direct impact on the game's development outside of the gatekeeping mechanism.

Oct 25, 2017
Paying for a console's online has nothing to do with available modes in a game. Not sure why you're combining these two things.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like Mario Tennis online, I'll never pay for Nintendo online service. It's the worst online multiplayer experience I've had since early PS3 days.

Mexicant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If it turns out that the online mode is bare-bones and the net code is a dumpster fire, do you think reviews will reflect that, like they would a normal game? Or will it still be all 10/10 perfect scores because of the hype...
Well Smash doesn't brand itself as an online fighter, so not sure why the online portion should affect reviews....

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the reviews are already out and a online mode like that won't change the quality of the game itself
If the online is bad than it should be noted on the reviews but it won't be and it's a shame.
Of course it does, online is part of the experience and part of the game. If every other game is judged on their online modes and netcode so should this game, but I feel as though it wont.
Of course it won't be which really doesn't make sense.

Well Smash doesn't brand itself as an online fighter, so not sure why the online portion should affect reviews....
It has online? and it's not a small part of the game for people. Yes local is great but there's tons of people who don't have a local group and if online is bad that should be noted and should be called out.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
To make money , the same reason why PSN and XBL charges you. Has nothing to do with improving the service

That would hold water if the service, in PSN's case at least, didn't improve after they made it mandatory. Especially first party titles. I can't remember never having to pay for XBL, but their service has also consistently improved.

Sep 28, 2018

...lol. No fighter 'brands itself as an online fighter,' but online play is a huge part of almost any multiplayer games these days and any other game is judged upon its ability to deliver a competent online mode. Why should Smash be any different?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the online is bad than it should be noted on the reviews but it won't be and it's a shame.
Of course it won't be which really doesn't make sense.

It has online? and it's not a small part of the game for people. Yes local is great but there's tons of people who don't have a local group and if online is bad that should be noted and should be called out.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be noted but I don't agree with it being that big deal on a game sith so much content like smash.

Mexicant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
...lol. No fighter 'brands itself as an online fighter,' but online play is a huge part of almost any multiplayer games these days and any other game is judged upon its ability to deliver a competent online mode. Why should Smash be any different?
Well the game is at a 94. I'm sure those 6 missing points are from the online because the rest of the game has so much content and polish it's practically perfect.

Seem to me you just want the game to get bad reviews idk

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
So like is this game even worth buying day 1 if you have no plans of using smash as a couch 4player? Really only gonna be doing solo play and online.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it shouldn't be noted but I don't agree with it being that big deal on a game sith so much content like smash.
Again it should be talked about. yes it's a great game and has great reviews but I think it's pretty shitty when a part of the game lots of people will use doesn't work to well.
Well the game is at a 94. I'm sure those 6 missing points are from the online because the rest of the game has so much content and polish it's practically perfect.

Seem to me you just want the game to get bad reviews idk
The game was never going to get bad reviews anyway but saying that online doesn't matter beacuse the reviews are high is not only one of the stupidest things i've seen, it really makes no sense, the game has lots going for it but shitty online doesn't benefit anyone.

Mexicant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The game was never going to get bad reviews anyway but saying that online doesn't matter beacuse the reviews are high is not only one of the stupidest things i've seen, it really makes no sense, the game has lots going for it but shitty online doesn't benefit anyone.
Well it's a good thing that's not what I said.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When people pay money for a service, their expectations do rise.

It's shit paying for PS+, but the network experience on PS4 was a substantial upgrade over PS3's network features.

Where here it seems to be the opposite?

Last edited:

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Fighting games in general have been this terrible with online options over the last year. Dragonball Fighterz still has no way to invite a friend into a room and battle, Soul Calibur has no rematch with friends, it's insane how backwards the genre has become with online lately.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Paying for a console's online has nothing to do with available modes in a game. Not sure why you're combining these two things.

Sure, but this is the first major first-party multiplayer game since Nintendo began charging for the service. It's arguable the marquee multiplayer title on the Switch, so people are going to and should expect somewhat modern online features.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Some caveats:

He isn't playing on the American servers since they weren't up yet.

Also isn't playing hard wired to internet.

Pretty sure most people, even my friends, dont use the lan adapter. Especially not when the switch is a hybrid system, some people probably undock it a lot and wont bother.

How about just adding a good rollback or delay based netcode like Killer Instinct has?

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure most people, even my friends, dont use the lan adapter. Especially not when the switch is a hybrid system, some people probably undock it a lot and wont bother.

How about just adding a good rollback or delay based netcode like Killer Instinct has?
How do you know they don't have one in place now?