• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just use it as your main console?

It is the best one after all.

I mean, I have a decent gaming laptop and yet pretty much never use it. I wanted to give PC gaming a chance but it's just...I can't be bothered.

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is this just a case of gas ("gear acquisition syndrome") or do you really need an Xbox One X when you've got a gaming PC? What do want to play on Xbox that you don't have on PC?

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I bought an X before I built my new pc

Regret wasting $700+

Wait until next gen since MS might have more exclusives that will make it worth it

Devour

Nov 1, 2017
This late in the generation you should just stick with the PS4 for console gaming. Maybe buy a Switch instead and wait for E3 to see whats up with the PS5.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would say look at the list of BC games. BC offers an excellent library of exclusive games + the games that Microsoft didn't put on PC. If you also prefer physical 4K Blu-Ray media, it's an excellent addition as well.

Also Game Pass will easily provide you with a cheap way of enjoying a lot of games, so if you wish to catch up on exclusives, Xbox One X + Game Pass is an excellent choice.

If you know any friends/family on Xbox, game share as well. Helps save quite a bit of $$.

Yeah there is quite a few Xbox exclusives on PC, but the Xbox still has plenty of console only games available.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with an Xbone, PS4, high end PC and a Switch, I almost have zero need for the Xboner and the PS4. They are pointless and I regret buying them. I think I've turned on my Xbox One once in the last year and a half and that was to let my nephew play Minecraft.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
If you the money to waste then go for it if not stay with PC and ps4 no need to have one unless you want a 4k player

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Just use it as your main console?

It is the best one after all.

I mean, I have a decent gaming laptop and yet pretty much never use it. I wanted to give PC gaming a chance but it's just...I can't be bothered.
Same here. I can't even see myself ever bothering with PC gaming ..play anywhere is nice and all but PC gaming just isn't my thing and besides all my pals game on consoles too ..I have a few casual games on my laptop though and that is it. Also going with many of the comments in this thread it seems everyone is now ok with purchasing /downloading from the windows store.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with an Xbone, PS4, high end PC and a Switch, I almost have zero need for the Xboner and the PS4. They are pointless and I regret buying them. I think I've turned on my Xbox One once in the last year and a half and that was to let my nephew play Minecraft.
And I used to be a PC gamer main but switched to Playstation because of the games, experience and not having to worry about upgrading.

Everyone has different gaming preferences.

@OP, if you want a console experience for XB1/PC only games, then go for it. Otherwise there's not much point IMO. Unless your PC is older or is low-end.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about this because of BC, but with a computer already hooked up to my TV, I wouldn't play much on it besides BC games, possibly Halo 5, and maybe Rare Replay. I wouldn't even buy Gold. Honestly I'm fine with Microsoft's strategy of basically just incorporating Windows as part of its unified gaming platform. It needs to just go ahead and try to bring 360 and OG Xbox games to Windows.

I haven't even had trouble installing Windows Store games.

All that said, I think Xbox overall is a better platform than PlayStation right now, it just doesn't have exclusives I personally care about.

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, what's their to think about? E3 is sure to have Xbox 1 pricecuts, exclusives announced etc.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
if you have a good PC,I wouldn't buy it. If you have a bad PC,it's a good choice for multiplatforms

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be getting;

- BC - Phenomenal value here, not much more to be said on it.
- A dedicated device to play Blurays should you wish to collect any (and they look phenomenal).
- Best version of console multiplats.
- MS exclusives, if that interests you.

Ultimately its a nice compliment to a PC if you have both situated in different rooms. Extra plus if you have PS4 or Switch to go with it for exclusives. Best of both worlds.

Your money mate, shouldn't need validation from ERA to buy something you want.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox is redundant. I sold mine when I built my PC, but that's just me. A X1X is a lot of
money that in my eyes is better spent upgrading your PC or expanding your options with a Switch.

The OP, if he is serious, is an extreme minority. I am assuming that money is no object, because to make 1X his main gaming console despite being a PS4 owner means basically rebuying ALL his games. That is a lot of time and effort.

Really, i would believe him more if he was saying he wanted to play Xbox exclusives. But using it as the main console? For that kind of time and money he might as well upgrade his PC gaming rig.

But hey, some people just have the disposable income for that and I am not going to judge. I personally think it is the wrong time to buy a 1X with the Gen almost over, but that only assumes OP actually care about not wasting money. If he considers it pocket change then he can do what he wants.

Personally speaking if you have a PC it is a waste of money to pick an X

I have a PS4, PC and XB1 and my XB1 is basically a paperweight at this point. I've used it for maybe 10 hours this year to try Sea of Thieves and play a bit of Game Pass. Don't waste your money.

Don't bother with that thing
I see some salty people in this thread. OP if you want the best multi plat experience ON CONSOLE then go for it! I haven't been disappointed yet!

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a pretty good gaming PC who recently bought an X, for me it's because I prefer the console ecosystem. Being on a console has a social and immersive feel that I don't get on a PC. I work on a PC all day, sitting down at a desk again makes it hard for me to detach and fully focus on the game. I feel the need to have something on my other monitor. It's hard for me to be at a PC and get fully in gaming mode -- if that makes sense?

Whereas with a console I can sit down on the couch, grab my controller and i'm fully focused on the game. I see my friends, my games, i'm in the ecosystem and it feels more immersive. I find I can detach and unwind from a day a lot easier with a console than with a computer. The fact that a game will run better on my PC isn't really enough to dissuade me.
This.. perfect example of why I prefer console gaming

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone with a reasonably powerful gaming PC and a PS4 Pro I haven't had a reason to switch my OG xbox one on this calendar year, the X wouldn't change a thing for me so I haven't bought one. Don't waste your money unless you can see specific reasons to buy one is my take on it.

You might be better off using that money to upgrade your gaming PC or buying an Oculus Rift if you must buy something instead of saving that money.

But the OP is so sparse that it's not giving anyone enough information to go off to give you proper advice so whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
1X is fantastic. Definitely the best way to complement your PC setup. They work extremely well together. Game Pass is incredible too.

Yeah, even with a PC an Xbox One X can be worth it assuming you're going to be getting multiplatform titles on Xbox from then on. Sing up for Game Pass and you get the MS exclusive Play Anywhere games to play on your PC plus all the other Game Pass titles to play on Xbox.

Buy the odd multiplat like Red Dead or whatever else floats your boat, maybe sign up for EA Access if that's in your wheelhouse.

The one thing to take into account is if all of your friends are on PS4 only and you play online with them a lot, then that would be a good reason not to get an Xbox. Otherwise there's no reason for PC owners can't get plenty of value from an Xbox console. As with all of these threads it depends on your own situation

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
At this point of 2018, I'd sit on the money, to hold out for the next generation Xbox console.

Oct 25, 2017
Might want to wait until after E3, since Sunset Overdrive was recently rated for PC, and the Halo games are rumored to come as well. That leaves Backwards Compatibility left, and Phil Spencer has expressed interest in bringing that over to PC too. If they announce all that come E3, I'd say the reasons for a One X go from little to none. Personally, the few real exclusives left along with BC were my only reasons to pick one up in the future, and it seems like it might not even be necessary at all anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to get into this argument, but there's no way whatsoever you could build a PC that's equivalent to the 1X with only $500 (the price of the console).

Since we don't know about the OP's financial situation, it's best not to make any assumptions about that.
You definitely have a point but at the same time unless you are desperate to play Subset Overdrive or Halo MCC (Halo 5 doesn't exist), then there is no point in buying a Xbox if he already owns a pc. The only other reason is backwards compatibility but that's whatever personally.

With everything being play anywhere nowadays and the fact that if he wants to play online he has to pay for it I really don't see any point.

Even more so having owned a PS4.

Stick to PC/PS4 OP

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I see some salty people in this thread. OP if you want the best multi plat experience ON CONSOLE then go for it! I haven't been disappointed yet!

Honest opinions equal saltiness? There's nothing to be salty about.

OP already has a PC, so there's next to nothing to gain for $500. Maybe that makes you a little salty?

Last edited:

lizqoris

Oct 28, 2017
I mean why bother going for 1X? Since you already have PC, a powerful one that is, you should already have 4k/60 covered. If you're going for exclusive games, PS4/Pro has got you covered.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to the people automatically dismissing the idea OP. I have a decent computer and still use my 1X often.

List the reasons why you want a 1X and see how much of those benefits are possible on your PC. Every person has different preferences so only get it if it makes sense for you. I prefer playing MP on a console with a controller, want the best version of console only games, value HDR, and make use of BC titles. So the 1X makes sense for me but you'll need to ask yourself if it makes sense for you.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Honest opinions equal saltiness? There's nothing to be salty about.

OP already has a PC, so there's next to nothing to gain for $500. Maybe that makes you a little salty?

Let's not pretend that bias isn't influencing a number of posts in this thread. There are legit reasons for owning a 1X, even if you have a good PC.

Juxtapozed

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who's about to sell his Pro and keeping my Xbox one X it comes down to the forza horizon trilogy (and hoping for a 4th), radiant Silvergun, ninja Gaiden black and halo MCC multiplayer after it gets fixed. Backwards compatibility is the biggest feature to me .

I've not enjoyed many of the PS4 exclusives this gen (aside from GT Sport and God of War) and I'm only really interested in Kiwami 2 and last of us 2 in the future. I'll get a pro again at some point...

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically my 1X got my into PC gaming. Now I do my AAA games and BC on the 1X, and everything else like indies on a lower-end PC (coupled with those great steam sale prices). The 1X has crazy good value for power, and I like xbox live the best of all online services. For AAA in particular, having a lower-end PC means tweaking settings, which I don't have patience for, so the 1X is ideal. Backwards compatibility literally added several my all-time favourites (like Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Black, and SSX3). It's so good!!!!!

My PS4 is basically a Yakuza/Persona/Fighting game machine at this point.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If your PC is half decent then you don't need an Xbox. You can grab Game Pass to play MS first party games that way.

If you're looking for more power in a console then wait a year or so, next-gen is rolling around and X won't be the most powerful anymore.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
If you like the interface and the online community better because of friends or their exclusives then I would main it

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'll echo what everyone else says here. I have all the consoles and a gaming PC. The only time I turn my Xbox One on it to play PUBG with my friends.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't bother.

I turn my XO on like once a month to play one game (Forza Horizon 3), besides that all I ever used it for was other exclusives. While some of those exclusives were great it's not worth getting the XO for at all.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a worthy investment if you have a decent amount disposable income. Ultimately, it's up to you. If you like their exclusives, prefer to have the best version of multiplats, and like the idea of backwards compatibility (with enhancements, which are way cooler than I ever could have expected, it's a great console).

Plus, it's just a nifty piece of tech - small, sleek, and mostly whisper quiet. I love it.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for more power in a console then wait a year or so, next-gen is rolling around and X won't be the most powerful anymore.
Alternately, wait a year for the inevitable massive price drop. No matter how I look at it, this year is the wrong time to switch consoles.

Edit: Consider the OP not having replied to his own thread, I am inclined to think he was lying about being a PC gamer OR that he own a PS4. He probably already own a 1X. One has to wonder why such a thread get made at all.

Last edited:

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Best multiplat machine
Best value on sales, ea access and gamepass
Best customer service
Best controller
Best hd movie player
Quiet and built well
Lots of cheap backlog to catch up on
Only console that plays SoT, SoD2 gears halo and forza ( also cuphead and Ori)

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to see people tripping over each other to tell the OP he doesn't need an X1X.

I have an 1X and a gaming PC. They don't cancel each other out.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Why would you get an Xbox if you already have a PC?
The living room experience is absolutely terrible on PC. There's no escaping a keyboard and mouse (or at least something that mimics it) on PC. I have a great gaming PC, but I haven't regretted my Xbox One X purchase a bit, as it just provides a better living room experience. Sure, it'd be nice to play Forza Horizon 3 at 60 fps, but it's much more important for me to play it on a big screen and without random overscan issues (Windows' fault) and the shoddy attempt at a TV-friendly UI that Steam Big Picture Mode tries (and fails) to provide due to stability issues.

Even if Microsoft gave Windows users the Xbox UI for living room use, you'd still have to deal with launchers that require a keyboard and/or mouse to navigate, games that don't hide the mouse pointer by default (or - more obnoxiously - re-center it every single time you access the menu) and any other number of things that simply require you to have use of something that at the very least emulates a keyboard and/or mouse.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
Best way to make it your main console? You can just buy/play the majority of your games on it?? Lol Am I missing something here, OP?

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people in this thread are making assumptions and listing things that are completely irrelevant or their own opinion, which frankly matters very little to someone else.

OP has went quiet since they posted. He/she needs to list their system specs and their setup. Not every console gamer even plays in a livingroom environment. I play PS4 on a monitor with a headset, as do many console gamers... especially in the competitive scene.

With that said, PC is no issue in a livingroom. You can get a mediaboard or even just a mouse with a gamepad. This is not as big of an eye sore or inconvenience as some are making it out to be.

I also see many people saying XB1X is the best place for multiplatform games. It is, only if the OP' PC is not up to snuff. Otherwise no, it's not.

The console experience is different for sure, though... being a dedicated gaming system makes it more user-friendly. So like I said above, if OP' PC is not up to snuff and/or he/she prefers a console experience and wants the best multiplats, then go for it. Otherwise it's not worth $500 IMO.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If your PC specs aren't great, then there's absolutely room for the 1X. You simply can't beat the price to performance ratio of the 1X.