• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You can play the best version of every third party console only game on the X, often in 4K. Having all of them is the best of all worlds. Can your PC play current gen games at the same graphical level as an XB1X? If not then it's the best place to play all multiplatform and Xbox exclusive games. Keep the PS4 for its exclusives, everything else on XB1X.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Main advantage I've found with my Xbox One X is backwards compatibility (Seriously ORTA, and VF5FS look great on it) and the fact that most XB1 games are dirt cheap since the console's relatively unpopular making scooping the exclusives relatively painless.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a pretty good gaming PC who recently bought an X, for me it's because I prefer the console ecosystem. Being on a console has a social and immersive feel that I don't get on a PC. I work on a PC all day, sitting down at a desk again makes it hard for me to detach and fully focus on the game. I feel the need to have something on my other monitor. It's hard for me to be at a PC and get fully in gaming mode -- if that makes sense?

Whereas with a console I can sit down on the couch, grab my controller and i'm fully focused on the game. I see my friends, my games, i'm in the ecosystem and it feels more immersive. I find I can detach and unwind from a day a lot easier with a console than with a computer. The fact that a game will run better on my PC isn't really enough to dissuade me.
Thank you for this...also most of my friends can afford or don't have the inclination to play on PC....so we play on xbox

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm pretty sure the correct answer is "yes." Multiplatform games always look, run and in many cases, control better on PC (shooters, strategy, RPG, etc). When a game looks nicer, runs at double the frame rate and has quicker and more precise controls, that's an objectively better experience.

Yea I agree with this however some don't care about none of that. Is it the SAME game though? If so, then some don't care about the extra perks that PC gaming comes with.

PC gaming can't beat a console eco system currently. Hell even Steam borrows from the console experience by bring it to Big Picture Mode.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's really not worth it
Why not?

I have a 1080 Ti and my PC is attached to my OLED in my living room.

I also have a PS4 Pro along with and Xbox One X. Out of all of them, I play my One X more. I play it more than my PC because I like to turn it on and it goes. I also play with my friends back home. There are not a lot of cheaters on console like there is on PC and that another reason why I gravitate towards my Xbox. I play all my multiplayer games on my X - no compromise. PC is loaded with cheaters

There is a time when I play my PC and PS4, but for the most part, I play my X.

Last edited:

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'm a big fan of the X and console gaming but if you have a PC there is no need unless you care about BC or have friends on the console.

Do you have a Pro?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP, if you're still here, an X1X is useless if you have a beefy PC.

XBL on PC is free and cross platform with Xbox on exclusive MP titles, all future exclusives will be available on PC, and if you want the controller experience just buy the Elite and hook it up to your PC when you're gaming.

I just don't see the value in an X1X if you meet the criteria of owning a beefy PC.

Dec 15, 2017
Seems fairly redundant in your scenario, especially with the gen nearing its end, but if money isnt an object then why not, it does have its benefits.

360 BC, ease of use, cheaters are the pluses over PC.

Whisper Quiet and some more power are the pluses over PS4 Pro. If you're on OG or slim PS4, its an easier decision.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

XBL on PC is free and cross platform with Xbox on exclusive MP titles, all future exclusives will be available on PC, and if you want the controller experience just buy the Elite and hook it up to your PC when you're gaming.

I just don't see the value in an X1X if you meet the criteria of owning a beefy PC.
Better HDR support.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this...also most of my friends can afford or don't have the inclination to play on PC....so we play on xbox

My friends are split across pc and console, but on PC I find the social aspect diminished. I know this definitely isn't the case for everyone, but when i'm on my PC it's not immediately social in the way a console is. On console (be it my xbox or ps4) I can tab over to my friends list and see everyone and what they're playing. I can hop into their game with a press of a button or toss them a party invite to chat. On PC i'll need to check Steam, Blizzard and Discord to see who all is currently playing, and there's more barriers for me engaging with them. I personally find Steam to be bad as a social platform. It all leads to playing on PC feeling relatively lonely for me. I see other people playing on my friends lists, but it feels less connected.

I definitely get where people come from with finding a console useless when they have a PC, but for me a console offers a lot more than just the games, I find it so nice to have everything in one place and one ecosystem. It's the comprehensive package and 'experience' of being on a console that I find appealing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Most people don't have their PC set up in the living room where their big TV is - this is the thing people keep forgetting when they say the 1X is useless when you have a high end PC already. If you want a convenient box to use in the living room then there's no reason the 1X isn't a decent buy, especially if you're interested in the BC stuff.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna get piled on this, but after spending about two years on the PC side of things (1070/6600k/16 GB), I'll be returning to consoles

There is a simplicity factor in not having to spend an hour messing about with graphic settings in order to get a somewhat stable 60 FPS (looking at you AC: Origins), or having strange hardware related issues where anything can be an issue (like GTAV cut-scenes stuttering for no reason and I can't find a fix)

Of course, I've had experiences with games like Far Cry 5 and Destiny 2 that look incredible and run smooth, and it has been great to revisit my favorite 360 era games with maxed out graphics (like Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne 3), but for AAA releases going forward, I'd rather take the console route, pop the disc in and just play the damn thing.

And that is where I say the BoneX has it's value. For $350 (on eBay), I was able to snatch one up and I've been very pleased with the graphical fidelity.

If you're like me and prefer the console experience, and can find one a solid deal, I think it's worth the purchase.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
If you have a Pro and a good spec PC....
Id get a Switch over the X unless you want BC and don't have a UHDBR player.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Yea I agree with this however some don't care about none of that. Is it the SAME game though? If so, then some don't care about the extra perks that PC gaming comes with.

PC gaming can't beat a console eco system currently. Hell even Steam borrows from the console experience by bring it to Big Picture Mode.

I mean, the whole point of the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro is to improve image quality and performance so there are definitely people who care about that beyond just PC gamers. Just as there are people who don't care about improved image quality and performance, there are those who don't care about the console ecosystem benefits (whatever those are). Personally, I don't see any advantages that Xbox LIVE or PSN have over Steam. The fact that they require subscription fees make them even less appealing. Steam has a ton of features (including Big Picture Mode), a huge library of games and lots of great sales. All for free.

I'm gonna get piled on this, but after spending about two years on the PC side of things (1070/6600k/16 GB), I'll be returning to consoles

There is a simplicity factor in not having to spend an hour messing about with graphic settings in order to get a somewhat stable 60 FPS (looking at you AC: Origins), or having strange hardware related issues where anything can be an issue (like GTAV cut-scenes stuttering for no reason and I can't find a fix)

You'd rather be unable to get 60 FPS at all? Or in many cases, struggle to maintain even a solid 30 FPS? This logic is baffling to me. If you're okay with 30 FPS (and you'd have to be if you prefer consoles), getting 30 FPS in AC:O or any other PC game is incredibly simple. Hell, you could just cap your framerate to 30 in your driver settings and never need to tweak any settings ever again.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
My PC is like 8 years old with an i7 and tons of ram and now a 980gtx.... but it started getting crashy without any info or crash logs so I have used it less and less.

I tried it in the living room for a while, but the noise (even with expensive fans) is just too much so back to the office to keep me unproductive there too.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
The best way to make use of the Xbox One X is for multiplatform games, as well as the many other offerings provided by the OS.

Backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 and OG xBox titles, UWP apps that can be used on your console (myTube! and Podcasts come to mind, they are great to use on my console), and the comfort of playing your games in the living room can't be beat. The Xbox One is a great media center and game system, and ours is frequently used as a second PC since the experience is getting closer and closer to that of a Windows 10 PC.

If you go for it, make sure you know what you want to do with it. I promise you won't regret it!

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most people don't have their PC set up in the living room where their big TV is - this is the thing people keep forgetting when they say the 1X is useless when you have a high end PC already. If you want a convenient box to use in the living room then there's no reason the 1X isn't a decent buy, especially if you're interested in the BC stuff.

At this point OP hasn't given us enough info, my post was just at a base level comparing the usage between the two without assuming too much.

We don't know OPs PC specs, what their gaming setup is, etc.

Nov 30, 2017
Just buy into the ecosystem.

If you want it to be your main just buy live and probably gamepass. Start buying your multiplatform games on it.

It's that simple.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Of course, I've had experiences with games like Far Cry 5 and Destiny 2 that look incredible and run smooth, and it has been great to revisit my favorite 360 era games with maxed out graphics (like Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne 3), but for AAA releases going forward, I'd rather take the console route, pop the disc in and just play the damn thing.

And that is where I say the BoneX has it's value. For $350 (on eBay), I was able to snatch one up and I've been very pleased with the graphical fidelity.

If you're like me and prefer the console experience, and can find one a solid deal, I think it's worth the purchase.

You shouldn't get piled on since your reasoning makes perfect sense. I enjoy PC gaming and have tried really hard to convince my console playing friends to jump in but the convenience factor is huge for them.

You'd rather be unable to get 60 FPS at all? Or in many cases, struggle to maintain even a solid 30 FPS? This logic is baffling to me. If you're okay with 30 FPS (and you'd have to be if you prefer consoles), getting 30 FPS in AC:O or any other PC game is incredibly simple. Hell, you could just cap your framerate to 30 in your driver settings and never need to tweak any settings ever again.

You're completely ignoring the simplicity factor of his post. PC gaming isn't as complicated like it used to be but it's still not as simple as console gaming. His logic makes perfect sense if you put your own preferences aside.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a beefy PC I probably wouldn't buy an Xbox One X tbh. I'd go for something like a Switch instead, as that is a console that I know will always have plenty of exclusives that will never go multiplatform, just like the PS4 (which you already own, so..). For me, it's all about the exclusives, and the chances of any future Microsoft exclusives appearing on both- Xbox and PC- is always very high, and will always be better on PC depending on your specs anyway.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
My gaming rig is starting to show its age. It's a 970 and Intel 4xxx i5. I just bought a One X to compliment our 4k OLED. The 970 doesn't push 4k very well and the PC HDR support is a mixed bag. PC also sits on another floor and my Steam Link only does 1080p anyhow. Each fills a role.

Playing AC:O on the OLED is very nice.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your coming from a gaming PC that's decent you will probably regret it for most third party games and Microsoft games.

I immediately saw a downgrade in frames and graphics and had a hard time playing on my Xbox for most games now. Outside of BC or Xbox exclusives I dont touch it

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
As a PC/PS4 guy I recently bought an Xbox One X, and I don't intend to play many Xbox One games on it. X-enhanced backwards compatibility is what sold me (I also wanted a 4k Blu-Ray player). Red Dead Redemption looks incredible and it's nice to play a non-blurry version of KOTOR with a controller. There's also a handful of games that just don't come to PC and the X is the best place to play them.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

I've tried that but 30 FPS on a PC is hell. It's simply unplayable, while 30 FPS on a TV is completely fine.

So I'll take a stable 30 on console vs a fluctuating 40-60 on PC. I know, it's blasphemy.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I've tried that but 30 FPS on a PC is hell. It's simply unplayable, while 30 FPS on a TV is completely fine.

So I'll take a stable 30 on console vs a fluctuating 40-60 on PC. I know, it's blasphemy.

What's the difference between 30 FPS on PC vs console? They're the exact same framerate. Also, it's pretty common for console games to not actually run at a stable 30 FPS.

You're completely ignoring the simplicity factor of his post. PC gaming isn't as complicated like it used to be but it's still not as simple as console gaming. His logic makes perfect sense if you put your own preferences aside.

Except I didn't ignore it at all. I specifically stated that he could avoid tinkering with options entirely if he just capped his framerate at 30 in the driver settings. That's a one time change. With a 1070, 6600 and 16 gigs of RAM, he'll have no problems whatsoever getting a rock solid 30 FPS in any PC game. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Since PC Gaming is an absolute pain in the ass, especially for older games i'd take an X for BC any day of the week.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What's the difference between 30 FPS on PC vs console? They're the exact same framerate. Also, it's pretty common for console games to not actually run at a stable 30 FPS.

Except I didn't ignore it at all. I specifically stated that he could avoid tinkering with options entirely if he just capped his framerate at 30 in the driver settings. That's a one time change. With a 1070, 6600 and 16 gigs of RAM, he'll have no problems whatsoever getting a rock solid 30 FPS in any PC game. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Getting 30fps without frame pacing or input lag is nowhere hear as simple as that on PC.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I have a decent PC (1070) and recently picked up a One X. I needed a 4k Blu Ray player and was torn between the S and X. Ultimately I went with the X because it may be 2 - 3 years before the next Xbox and I don't usually buy day one which means I will have this thing a while.

My PC is in the bedroom and will always be my preferred way to game but the Xbox in the living room is what I use for co-op or gaming with other people around. I find it compliments my PC well. I have a steamlink also but never found it to be a smooth experience.

I received $130 gamestop store credit trading in my Xbox one (which I only paid $200 for) so my X came to $370. If I get $250 trade in down the line going toward my next console it makes getting a 4k player and best console hardware available today a decent value.

Having a good time with some og xbox co-op games I hadn't played in years.

It really just depends on what you're looking for.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Read the op.

He has a gaming pc and a ps4.

Then he asks how the X can become his main console.

The answer is it can't. MS Made sure of that when they implemented UWP in Xbox.

There might be a few outliers that use the X even with a gaming pc, but this is superfluous and absolutely unnecessary if you have the Ps4 already.

There are no exclusive games he can't get on his pc.

There are no games that perform better than on pc.

And he has the Ps4 for couch comfort if he so chooses.

There is no reason to spend $500 for a device in this situation.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
May I suggest to invest in a Nintendo Switch, you know, something... Less redundant...

I have and love the One X, but that's maybe because I don't have an optimised PC. So I just play third party games on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If you enjoy a hacker free experience with the best version of third party games you have come to the right place.

Make sure u pick up gamepass and origin as they are both value for money and remember that you can region swap to buy the cheapest digital version of a game easily

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can understand you. I've tried PC gaming for a long time. Bought a PC when the ATi 4870 was still a new GPU and kept it up to date uptill the Nvidia 1080.

During that time I've spend a lot of money on upgrading my PC. And each time I ended up using my consoles more. For the exact same reason as you: Simplicity.

I do miss being able to play (nearly) every game in 60fps. But overall I much prefer the "console experience".

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure what exactly OP think to hear to convince him to buy an X when it has even a PC... by the way I have one and a very old pc, I barely touch it just because I have a Pro and ps4 it's my eco system from 2013. Honestly I think to have waste my money. I'm so invested on ps4 from too much and good psn discounts are so frequent to completely avoid me to spend more money for the X version.
P.S. xbone x it's definitely worth it if you used to be an Xbox owner or a great fan of the economy system . If you weren't, hardly deserves your attention.

Last edited:

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Getting 30fps without frame pacing or input lag is nowhere hear as simple as that on PC.

If you have a G-Sync monitor, it is. Getting a constant 30 FPS on console without variable frame pacing or input lag isn't simple either. Most console games suffer from one or more of those issues.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are no exclusive games he can't get on his pc.

Wrong. There are games on the ecosystem you can get that you cannot get on PC. For example Forza Horizon 2.

There are no games that perform better than on pc.

This depends on his PC entirely and thus can be right or wrong.

There is no reason to spend $500 for a device in this situation.
I agree. If you start with false assumptions, you end up with a wrong conclusion.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Reasons to buy an Xbox One X even though you own a PC:

• Access to your Play Anywhere titles in different rooms
  • Backwards compatibility with many 360 and OG Xbox games
  • Split-screen multiplayer in Forza
  • 4K Blu-ray player and decent media player for another room
  • Halo, Forza Horizon 2, and Sunset Overdrive ... For now at least
  • You get an additional controller you can use on both systems

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I did just this thing, but for me it was also mainly about replacing my launch model Xbone, to better support 4K content for a new TV.

If the Pro had a 4K BD player, I probably wouldn't have made the purchase... Just saying, Sony... I'm still a bit upset.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing most people ignore in this kind of conversations is the fact that PCs are open systems that allow you to customise and go for whatever experience you like. There is no best way to play games, only your way matters. On PC, you choose your resolution, settings and desired FPS. Some people go for 1080p/60, for 4k/30, 4k/60, 1080p/200, 1440p/100. While on one X you are set to "2160p"/30, most of the time. You can even go for proper adaptive sync tech on PC, downsample, play with settings, back wards compatibility is there since forever, you can mod games beyond what you get on in-game platforms...

It all comes down to: PC is all about player choice, setting up the best experience for yourself and to be able to customize games to your desires. For an increased price of course.
Consoles don't give you that kind of freedom, nor is it possible for them to do so. They are what they are, but if you want the best gaming experience that is customized to your needs: PC is the way to go, if you have the pocket money.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a pretty amazing pc. I also enjoy laying on my sofa with my big hdr tv and looking at sea of thieves in 4k hdr. I think they go together very well.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
One thing most people ignore in this kind of conversations is the fact that PCs are open systems that allow you to customise and go for whatever experience you like. There is no best way to play games, only your way matters. On PC, you choose your resolution, settings and desired FPS. Some people go for 1080p/60, for 4k/30, 4k/60, 1080p/200, 1440p/100. While on one X you are set to "2160p"/30, most of the time. You can even go for proper adaptive sync tech on PC, downsample, play with settings, back wards compatibility is there since forever, you can mod games beyond what you get on in-game platforms...

It all comes down to: PC is all about player choice, setting up the best experience for yourself and to be able to customize games to your desires. For an increased price of course.
Consoles don't give you that kind of freedom, nor is it possible for them to do so. They are what they are, but if you want the best gaming experience that is customized to your needs: PC is the way to go, if you have the pocket money.

This, so much this. Many console players seem to ignore this fact. Yet they consider it a "megaton" when their console gets a "new" feature or genre that PC already has for years. Not saying that consoles don't have any advantages, but I prefer an open ecosystem over any locked down console.

Since PC Gaming is an absolute pain in the ass, especially for older games i'd take an X for BC any day of the week.

I have dozens of old games on GoG and they all just work. And many older games can be improved with community-made HD textures, widescreen support etc, which is not possible on console. Replaying the 20yo Unreal this way is a truly amazing experience!

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a PC you don't need to buy an Xbox, upgrade your PC. Just remember you won't ever actually use the W10 store though lol.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Depends on what you value.

I have all three and even with a decent pc but still use the X1X a lot due to achievments/rewards scheme and just ease of use.
My pc is currently being used for Frostpunk(not available on console)
Pro is exclusives and X1X for most other games.
The statments by a few on here saying its not needed if you own a pc really mean its not much ise if you own a high end pc and like using it a lot.