• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Haha again I don't need one as my specs are good enough and I will be upgrading every year. It's more a sometime I can't be bothered going up to where my pc is as couch gaming is good and its kind of the same deal as giving pc options in the graphics. I have a ps4 Pro but if I know on consoles it could look better I'll want it.

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory

With a 1080 Ti, Xbox is a backward step in performance and not worth it IMO unless there are games you have to get hold through BC or are not ported like Halo 5 and sunset overdrive. Microsoft are treating PC as parity to xbox with their games.

I have similar PC and I play games on it using controller leaning back, so the "console experience" people talk about can be had on PC without the being-online toll. I ended up getting a PS4 Pro and never replacing my original X1 which ended up giving to a friend and never felt the need to get a X1. With 1080 Ti its better looking and performing on PC, and I have my PS4 Pro for exclusive games. With ps4 and a good PC, I think switch more makes sense as a third console

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I say go for it. 1X is an amazing console.
I have a monster PC which costed me something like 4 grands, PS4 Pro and 1X.
And I still use most of my time on the console space.

bobkin

Oct 27, 2017
Spend the 500 bucks on a new gpu instead. If you didn't have a pc, I would say go for it. No point otherwise.

Edit: never mind saw you have a 1080ti. Um. Buy a couch and longer cord for your Xbox controller and go to town. Same experience. Or hook your pc up to a tv as well for when you want that experience. I did that for awhile

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
OP is the only person who can make this decision. What are his PC specs and does he prefer console gaming to PC gaming. He needs to know what he actually wants.. The guy hasnt posted one comment since starting the thread. Lol.... also it's funny seeing all those pushing him to invest in a PC suddenly supporting the windows store indirectly but when there is a thread about the same store it's filled with people talking about how crappy it is and an utter waste of time. Lol. In other words gaming using the windows store is only good when a gamer decides to opt for a PC instead of an Xbox? Lol

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BC is cool, I won't deny it, I think it's awesome that Microsoft let us play the game we already bought without putting more $/€ on it ( take notes Sony ) but I'm really too busy playing new games to come back to games I already finished and I'm not saying that Microsoft doesn't have exclusives, I'm saying Microsoft doesn't have exclusives that worth buying a console for.
Ok but then we are back to personal preference and not objectively talking about the ecosystem itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure somebody beat me to the punch on this one, as I didn't check.

- Backwards compatibility.
PC has way more backwards compatability and with more features and options.
- Halo if he is a fan or wants to play if he has never done.
This is 100% true.
- Gamepass.
Quite a few of the new releases will still give you the PC version if you subscribe even w/o an Xbox like SOT, SOD2
- The ease of using a console, pick up and play.
While more work, with a few hours this can be easily done. They also make keyboard/trackpad combos for the rare occasions you need it.
- Best versions of 3rd party if playing on console.
>if playing on console
- HDR.
Still exists on PC
- Xbox Live.
>paying for online
- The Xbox Gamepad.
Not sure how to respond to this as it works flawlessly on PC.
I say all of this while being primarily a console player. HOWEVER I can totally see why someone would not want to bother with PC because they enjoy the console experience. I personally prefer consoles, and my taste in games stray towards the console side as well. That being said some of the arguments (on both sides) in this thread are really dumb. Elitism is stupid and doesn't actually get your point across.

I personally don't see a point in a X especially with a good PC and a PS4 already, but ultimately it's not my decision.

Seems to be a guarenteedreplies.rar thread.

Edit: I can't type to save my life. Lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This, so much this. Many console players seem to ignore this fact. Yet they consider it a "megaton" when their console gets a "new" feature or genre that PC already has for years. Not saying that consoles don't have any advantages, but I prefer an open ecosystem over any locked down console.

I have dozens of old games on GoG and they all just work. And many older games can be improved with community-made HD textures, widescreen support etc, which is not possible on console. Replaying the 20yo Unreal this way is a truly amazing experience!

I don't think people ignore it, they just don't care about it as much. Not everyone wants that freedom or values that openness. Look at Android vs iPhone. A huge talking point for years (and one you still see) is how open Android is, and how Apple users celebrate getting features that Android already had -- but a lot of people with iPhones just don't care. I think that mirrors this in a lot of ways. People value different things, and that freedom and control that a PC offers is not something that everyone will want.

I don't know what has changed with me, but as time has gone on i've started to value that openness less and less. I used to love rooting my phone and flashing new roms and etc. but now I just don't care, I want my phone to look nice and work well for the things I do with it. All the control I have on Android doesn't mean as much to me anymore and i've been even considering hopping to iPhone for my next phone. Similarly for PC vs console, that freedom has started to mean less to me over time. When I come home I want to chill on the couch, grab a beer and have everything handled. I boot up the console and everything I need for gaming is right there and curated for me. As absurd as it may sound, the lack of control is relaxing.

Yes I could go sit at my desk and get better performance, or install emulators to play old games, or download some cool mods, but 90% of my time is going to be just playing the games themselves, and I want that experience to be as hands off and easy as possible nowadays -- and a console offers that to me with an ecosystem I find more robust, social and immersive.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
I do feel the OP thread maybe disingenuous, the "what is the point in having a Xbox if you have a PC" argument has been gone over many times.

It also frustrates me that people don't seem to recognise many people would never consider a PC. The expense and awkwardness is not for everybody.

The price and simplicity of the Xbox X is great for what you get.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'm considering a One X just so I don't have to sign-in with a Microsoft account on my PC. My preference is for a local account, and I have just that, but the moment I go to sign in to any app including the Xbox one the way it's worded makes me think they'll switch my account to an online one and I don't want that on my PC. >_<

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Man, I'd personally put that dosh aside and spring for the new 1180 later this summer/early fall. GDDR6 and all the signs point to very soon. 4k/60 at beyond console settings and being able to kill Chromatic Abberation and Motion Blur are awesome to me, as well as being able to run UW and Gsync (I prefer some things at 4k, some things at 1440/144Gsync).

Ripping my GC and Wii games for Dolphin is also great, though you may already be more than set for that depending on existing PC specs.

I'd really have to know a bunch of things to make this more understandable.

Is your PC at a desk that you don't have comfortable access to? This could be a minus, but setting up for comfortable couch play is easy, I don't even use KBM for a lot of multiplats (The Crew 2 and racing games, AC and Mordor games, GTA, Mass Effects, WD series, etc. Pretty much only competitive online FPS gets me to lift the hinged coffee table to bring KBM to bear. Even for browsing the web and running around the UI I just use a little AIO KB/Touch pad.

What are your favorite games and series?

What are the specs of the PC in question?

Do you have a friends group on PS and/or PC that you play online with? Is your preference SP or MP games?

Etc etc

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I'm considering a One X just so I don't have to sign-in with a Microsoft account on my PC. My preference is for a local account, and I have just that, but the moment I go to sign in to any app including the Xbox one the way it's worded makes me think they'll switch my account to an online one and I don't want that on my PC. >_<

Thankfully that's not the case. It asks you if you want to change to that kind of account, but you can say no and just be signed into XB/Store only.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Haha again I don't need one as my specs are good enough and I will be upgrading every year. It's more a sometime I can't be bothered going up to where my pc is as couch gaming is good and its kind of the same deal as giving pc options in the graphics. I have a ps4 Pro but if I know on consoles it could look better I'll want it.

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory

Then get ready to buy a new console every 2-3 years I guess.

Get a One X now. Then a PS5 when it's out in a year or two. Then whatever the next newest most powerful console is 2-3 years from then, and etc.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
That still doesn't make PC gaming as simple as console gaming, which was one of his main points. Even after he changes the driver setting, he still has to account for issues with PC ports, possibly needing to install community made patches, GPU driver issues, navigating Windows with a M&KB from the couch, possibly introducing frame pacing or latency issues when locking to 30fps, etc. PC gaming has come a long way when it comes to convenience, but it's still not as convenient as consoles and that's the crutch of his problem.

To answer the first part of your post, 30fps on PC is not always the same as 30fps on consoles. There have been a number of times where I've read about games experiencing frame pacing issues or additional latency when locked to 30fps. Forza Horizon 3 being a good example.

Also console games actually do a good job holding to 30fps this gen overall. Sure you'll have some games here and there but it's a big improvement over last gen.

It's pretty rare that a community patch is required to make a game playable. In most cases, it just makes the game better. The original Dark Soul and Nier: Automata, for example, are perfectly playable on PC without community patches. The problem is that they're almost exactly the same as the console versions, hence the community patches to add more PC-centric features. Same goes for Bethesda's RPGs. All of them are buggy on all platforms but on PC, community patches fix most of the bugs. All the other issues you mentioned are overblown. You can easily get away with installing new drivers once a month. Hell, depending on what you play, you could get away with doing it once or twice a year. And the 30 FPS input lag for Horizon 3 was the result of V-Sync. V-Sync inherently causes input lag (in both PC and console games). If you want to completely avoid both tearing and input lag, you need a high refresh G-Sync monitor. Then you'll never need to worry about either ever again.

I think the real issue is that some people just can't handle choice. If they have the choice to tweak their settings, upgrade their hardware, update drivers, etc, they feel like they have to do it even if they really don't. That's where the "simplicity" of consoles appeals to them. It simply removes all choice so even if a game has issues, there's nothing you can do about it. That's why they consider 30 FPS acceptable on consoles but not on PC, where you can easily attain much higher framerates.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Wrong. There are games on the ecosystem you can get that you cannot get on PC. For example Forza Horizon 2.

This depends on his PC entirely and thus can be right or wrong.

I agree. If you start with false assumptions, you end up with a wrong conclusion.
Please don't be disingenuous. I'm merely answering his question based on the info provided. It's clear I'm basing my answer on having a decent pc, and talking about exclusives that people might buy a console for in 2018.

There's no false assumptions here. The difference is You however seem to have an agenda to push.

Also, since we now know he's rocking a 1080ti, my point stands and you seem to be eating crow.

'False assumptions' smdh

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
As someone with a pretty good gaming PC who recently bought an X, for me it's because I prefer the console ecosystem. Being on a console has a social and immersive feel that I don't get on a PC. I work on a PC all day, sitting down at a desk again makes it hard for me to detach and fully focus on the game. I feel the need to have something on my other monitor. It's hard for me to be at a PC and get fully in gaming mode -- if that makes sense?

Whereas with a console I can sit down on the couch, grab my controller and i'm fully focused on the game. I see my friends, my games, i'm in the ecosystem and it feels more immersive. I find I can detach and unwind from a day a lot easier with a console than with a computer. The fact that a game will run better on my PC isn't really enough to dissuade me.

This is a really eloquent way of putting into words why I choose console over PC gaming. I recently sold my 1070 for an XBX and haven't looked back. That and dealing with jank.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who owns all three and a gaming PC I'm going with no unless you really really really really want to play the console exclusive backwards compatible games like Red Dead.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PC Specs
1080ti
7700k i7
32gb ram
M.2 memory
Yeah...that's a big no on the x. Total waste of cash.

Just buy a steam link and a 5ghz router and save yourself about 400$ if "comfy couch" is that important to you.

Oct 30, 2017
I am an owner of every console with a powerful PC as well.

And while it's true that all recent and Microsoft games on xbox available on PC, I still prefer console gaming .

The Xbox first of all has backward compatibility with older games.
The Xbox as far as it goes is the most secure when it comes to online gaming since the console has not been hacked yet. So you will not run against aim bots and shit like that . Which by it self is a huge advantage to me . I don't play PC online gaming because of that reason alone. If I die a weird death in the game my mind will tell me it's a cheater and all the sudden I no longer enjoy the game. Can't say the same when I am playing on xbox .

Lastly . Nothing beats just being on the sofa . Turning on the console and start playing. No need to tinker with the graphics settings or keep an eye on cpuid to watch your graphics card tempreture while playing or going to the video settings every 10 minutes because you feel something is off in your game so you keep adjusting the video more than actually playing .

So my answer is PC and Xbox are very different experience . And yes the xbox one x is worth purchasing even if you have a decent PC.

However it's games where it matters. How many games you want on xbox ? I suggest to wait till E3 and see if they announce interested games to you.

But as far as multiplatform games go, then yeah Xbox beats the PlayStation without much of an effort in all multiplatform gaming and that alone is a plus . To play every multiplatform games the best way on a console .

Lastly . The Xbox one x hardware is quiter than the PS4 pro. And while I lucked out with 2 PS4 pro I have at home ( exchanged 5 consoles with jet engine loudness ) the Xbox one x is still much quiter and the OCD in me prefers that console to play on

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...that's a big no on the x. Total waste of cash.

Just buy a steam link and a 5ghz router and save yourself about 400$ if "comfy couch" is that important to you.
I have a steam link.

I have major issues with it and it sometimes disconnecting my controller etc in addition difficulty adding ea or non steam games.

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am an owner of every console with a powerful PC as well.

And while it's true that all recent and Microsoft games on xbox available on PC, I still prefer console gaming .

The Xbox first of all has backward compatibility with older games.
The Xbox as far as it goes is the most secure when it comes to online gaming since the console has not been hacked yet. So you will not run against aim bots and shit like that . Which by it self is a huge advantage to me . I don't play PC online gaming because of that reason alone. If I die a weird death in the game my mind will tell me it's a cheater and all the sudden I no longer enjoy the game. Can't say the same when I am playing on xbox .

Lastly . Nothing beats just being on the sofa . Turning on the console and start playing. No need to tinker with the graphics settings or keep an eye on cpuid to watch your graphics card tempreture while playing or going to the video settings every 10 minutes because you feel something is off in your game so you keep adjusting the video more than actually playing .

So my answer is PC and Xbox are very different experience . And yes the xbox one x is worth purchasing even if you have a decent PC.

However it's games where it matters. How many games you want on xbox ? I suggest to wait till E3 and see if they announce interested games to you.

But as far as multiplatform games go, then yeah Xbox beats the PlayStation without much of an effort in all multiplatform gaming and that alone is a plus . To play every multiplatform games the best way on a console .

Lastly . The Xbox one x hardware is quiter than the PS4 pro. And while I lucked out with 2 PS4 pro I have at home ( exchanged 5 consoles with jet engine loudness ) the Xbox one x is still much quiter and the OCD in me prefers that console to play on

Yeah thats why I am considering it. Because I know the settings can be tinkered with I will tinker and if something hitches I will wonder if its the setting or my rig and tinker some more lol

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a pretty good gaming PC who recently bought an X, for me it's because I prefer the console ecosystem. Being on a console has a social and immersive feel that I don't get on a PC. I work on a PC all day, sitting down at a desk again makes it hard for me to detach and fully focus on the game. I feel the need to have something on my other monitor. It's hard for me to be at a PC and get fully in gaming mode -- if that makes sense?

Whereas with a console I can sit down on the couch, grab my controller and i'm fully focused on the game. I see my friends, my games, i'm in the ecosystem and it feels more immersive. I find I can detach and unwind from a day a lot easier with a console than with a computer. The fact that a game will run better on my PC isn't really enough to dissuade me.

100% this. I have been playing PC games since the 8086, EGA, 640KB, DOS 3.2 era and I went through all the major CPU and later GPU generations. I also have been working in IT for 25 years.

PS4 was the first console I actually owned. Bought it for Bloodborne when it came out and never looked back. Now I have a Pro and a XBO X with a 4K OLED and I am pretty happy.

Maybe it's age, maybe I'm PC burnout, but after spending the entire day at a desk staring at computer monitors, using mouse and keyboard, I can't sit down and enjoying PC games anymore. It doesn't feel as relaxing as couch & controller for me. I still have and entry level gaming laptop for the occasional Civ, RTS and crpg, but even that doesn't happen very often.

To the OP, the X is a great little machine. If you enjoy the console experience, and have a 4K TV it's a great addition. The BC is a great plus.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best way to play console third parties, and also you can play 3 generations worth of "old" games with enhancements and such. If you have the money to get it, you probably won't regret it. It's easily the best piece of hardware out there for the price.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
buy all 3rd party on it.
get Xbox GamePass.

boom you now have more games than you own on PS4 and PC combined.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty rare that a community patch is required to make a game playable. In most cases, it just makes the game better. The original Dark Soul and Nier: Automata, for example, are perfectly playable on PC without community patches. The problem is that they're almost exactly the same as the console versions, hence the community patches to add more PC-centric features. Same goes for Bethesda's RPGs. All of them are buggy on all platforms but on PC, community patches fix most of the bugs. All the other issues you mentioned are overblown. You can easily get away with installing new drivers once a month. Hell, depending on what you play, you could get away with doing it once or twice a year. And the 30 FPS input lag for Horizon 3 was the result of V-Sync. V-Sync inherently causes input lag (in both PC and console games). If you want to completely avoid both tearing and input lag, you need a high refresh G-Sync monitor. Then you'll never need to worry about either ever again.

I think the real issue is that some people just can't handle choice. If they have the choice to tweak their settings, upgrade their hardware, update drivers, etc, they feel like they have to do it even if they really don't. That's where the "simplicity" of consoles appeals to them. It simply removes all choice so even if a game has issues, there's nothing you can do about it. That's why they consider 30 FPS acceptable on consoles but not on PC, where you can easily attain much higher framerates.

Whether or not you think the issues are overblown or not, they still could exist and are valid reasons for why someone may prefer consoles over PC gaming. I think the issue is some find it difficult to understand how some may prefer some things over other things. I don't see any issue with someone preferring console game over PC or vice versa.