• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the PC Engine Mini is being sold exclusively through Amazon and no other retailers.

Link:

The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.
TurboGrafx-16 mini will be released in the Americas.
PC Engine Core Grafx mini will be released in select European countries.
PC Engine mini, Turbografx-16 mini, and PC Engine Core Grafx mini are only available on Amazon.

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that only Nintendo can make one of these mini consoles without screwing up?
1) Nintendo massively undershipped the NES Classic at launch and then announced they were discontinuing it. Also that thing has 3 foot controller cables.

2) The Genesis Mini seems almost too good to be true?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Well, I guess I'm never getting this, lol. It's gonna sell out in preorders before anyone has a chance to review it and never go back in stock.

How is it that only Nintendo can make one of these mini consoles without screwing up?

When it comes to (initial) shipments and scarcity, I wouldn't exactly say that Nintendo has handled their mini consoles (or Amiibo) flawlessly.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
1) Nintendo massively undershipped the NES Classic at launch and then announced they were discontinuing it. Also that thing has 3 foot controller cables.

2) The Genesis Mini seems almost too good to be true?
Yeah, supply issues are a classic Nintendo failure. But they eventually fixed it (it's not too hard to find a NES/SNES Classic at MSRP these days); and the actual product is immaculate.

I don't trust the Genesis Mini yet, lol. The reviews may prove me wrong, but SEGA have literally never gotten their emulation just right. There's always some hiccup (typically audio iirc).

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
OH COME ON.

I was going to buy a Japanese one exclusively for the looks, guess I'm out of luck.
Very, very shitty move.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Isn't Amazon Japan pretty flexible and reasonable about exporting game stuff to other countries, or is this about something else?
Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period means stock will likely be over before non-Prime members have a chance to preorder.

Since I had to make a new account to buy on Amazon JP I'm assuming that my Euro Prime subscription isn't going to work on the JP site, and I'm not keen on subscribing just for this one purchase.

I did buy a Famicom Mini on Amazon Jp, but there was no Prime pre-order exclusivity in that case.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, supply issues are a classic Nintendo failure. But they eventually fixed it (it's not too hard to find a NES/SNES Classic at MSRP these days); and the actual product is immaculate.

I don't trust the Genesis Mini yet, lol. The reviews may prove me wrong, but SEGA have literally never gotten their emulation just right. There's always some hiccup (typically audio iirc).
Well, M2 is doing the emulation for the Genesis Mini so I have some hope.

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
10,500 Yen, which is about $100 USD.

I was personally hoping for an $80 price tag, but this was the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend.

The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.

Time to set a reminder to pre-order this thing on Monday. Is there a typical time Amazon starts taking preorders? Midnight Pacific?

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period means stock will likely be over before non-Prime members have a chance to preorder.

Since I had to make a new account to buy on Amazon JP I'm assuming that my Euro Prime subscription isn't going to work on the JP site, and I'm not keen on subscribing just for this one purchase.

I did buy a Famicom Mini on Amazon Jp, but there was no Prime pre-order exclusivity in that case.

They have 8 months to adjust production based on ore order volume. I cannot imagine they will limit preorders.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that the pre-order date happens to coincide with Amazon Prime Day.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This is patently false. When Sega teamed up with M2 in the past games were flawless.

Only the Digital Eclipse garbage was, well, garbage

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And just like that, my excitement for this product is gone.

Couldn't you just sign up for prime for the pre-order and cancel prime afterwards?
Nope. You need an active Prime subscription when the product ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). And regardless, I'm not paying $12.99 for the privilege of pre-ordering something.

Last edited:

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I wanted a JP one but might not get one at all now.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
And just like that, my excitement for this product is gone.

Nope. You need an active Prime subscription when the product ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). And regardless, I'm not paying $12.99 for the privilege of pre-ordering something.
This was never true in the past. Prime advantages are applied when you place the order, not when it ships. It was true for the 20% peorder promotion on games anyway.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So I want the EU PC Engine Core Grafx mini.

I will be able to buy it from Amazon UK, right?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
This was never true in the past. Prime advantages are applied when you place the order, not when it ships. It was true for the 20% peorder promotion on games anyway.
Meaning that if you have prime when you order, and cancel the prime subscription before the order has shipped, you'll still get your order, that right?

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's zany that they are leaving the list of games to be the same between both PC-Engine Mini (JP) and Turbografx-16 Mini (US) systems. While I'm sure die-hard fans will be pleased that the PCE-CD version of Snatcher will be included, I'm not sure many will be able to actually play it. However, putting Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is very welcome. Hopefully this thing sells well, but I believe all of the games included are way too niche for anyone outside of Japan. It is not like this thing had much staying power stateside to begin with.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Since the preorder is this monday and it doesn't ship until next year, can I sign up for a free Prime Trial, preorder the TG16 Mini, and cancel the Prime trial and still get my item?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Since the preorder is this monday and it doesn't ship until next year, can I sign up for a free Prime Trial, preorder the TG16 Mini, and cancel the Prime trial and still get my item?
This is how prime worked in Canada yes.

I don't see why it would be different for Japan. Once your order is in, it's in

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is how prime worked in Canada yes.

I don't see why it would be different for Japan. Once your order is in, it's in

Cool. I'm gonna preorder, and then if anything happens, I'll cancel it.

Amazon of Japan lets you cancel, right? Because I've read other people complaining something about Amazon of Japan not letting you cancel or something like that.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have a Prime membership on amazon JP so this works out.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I'm gonna preorder, and then if anything happens, I'll cancel it.

Amazon of Japan lets you cancel, right? Because I've read other people complaining something about Amazon of Japan not letting you cancel or something like that.

Most cases you are fine, but some products have a warning on the product page that the orders cannot be canceled once made.

Oct 25, 2017
Walking into a brick and mortar store like

KXrw0RM.png

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Ooh I'm so in. Never had a turbografx 16 and always wanted one. Was there ever a Snatcher English version outside of Sega CD?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait a sec.... Konami is selling this in all regions' Amazon storefronts, correct? Not just Amazon Japan, right?

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Why are people thinking this will sale out? It is the TurboGrafx. I mean, it's a great console, but so was the PlayStation and you can easily find those mini consoles for under 30 bucks now.

Additionally, the Genesis Mini is still available to preorder. The NEOGEO Mini can still be found online. I don't think this will be as big of a deal to get a hold on one of these.