• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Please show me a European packaging if it was officially released there? I can show you a Mattel NES:

s-l1600.jpg
429a24d9cc6cccba4b449388825f40ae.jpg

(not really european since it was released only in France and Benelux).

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
429a24d9cc6cccba4b449388825f40ae.jpg

(not really european since it was released only in France and Benelux).
edit : dammit toasted by Celine, good job ;)

Source: http://pc-engine.co.uk/?section=systems#thumb
This is the french box:

Huh, fair enough never seen that before. Getting somewhat closer to something resembling real regional release.

Still not the same as an actual official sub-distribution like the NES (Nintendo literally produced NES units printed with the Mattel branding) and remains a grey import, they're still units produced for Japanese retail repurposed by hand, not actually produced for the region. But looks more professional. I presume there is the original Japanese packaging inside, and all games were Japanese too?

Edit: Yep, from the same website looks like that's just an external box added locally for the fully grey imported machines. Looks like it even has the full original Japanese packaging inside too under the poly, so it's more like just an 'import kit' outer box. So yeah, that ain't it.
ac9638ff001fc1b14480d8f09e1d4b80.jpg

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Huh, fair enough never seen that before. Getting somewhat closer to something resembling real regional release.

Still not the same as an actual official sub-distribution like the NES (Nintendo literally produced NES units printed with the Mattel branding) and remains a grey import, they're still units produced for Japanese retail repurposed by hand, not actually produced for the region. But looks more professional. I presume there is the original Japanese packaging inside, and all games were Japanese too?

Edit: Yep, from the same website looks like that's just an external box added locally for the fully grey imported machines. Looks like it even has the full original Japanese packaging inside too under the poly, so it's more like just an 'import kit' outer box. So yeah, that ain't it.
ac9638ff001fc1b14480d8f09e1d4b80.jpg
That's so funny. They had the nerve to call it the "Sodipad". šŸ˜‚

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh god, the TurboGrafx-16 is so ugly compared to the PC Engine. I wish they would've released the PC Engine body for all regions.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
That's so funny. They had the nerve to call it the "Sodipad". šŸ˜‚
Weirdly, looking into it that item does appear to be actually branded, so maybe they did get something actually produced for the region...

pad_ne10.jpg

I mean it's likely a cheap Chinese knock-off pad, the buttons are mislabelled and wouldn't match anything in the games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, looking into it that item does appear to be actually branded, so maybe they did get something actually produced for the region...

pad_ne10.jpg

I mean it's likely a cheap Chinese knock-off pad, the buttons are mislabelled and wouldn't match anything in the games.
They were rebranded for Europe due to the prevalent B A labeling on the Nes/MS/MD systems at the time. The french manuals refer to B as beeing II and A as beeing I for both the system and the games

I don't remember ever seeing chinese knockoffs of the core/pce pads back in 1989/1990.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They were rebranded for Europe due to the prevalent B A labeling on the Nes/MS/MD systems at the time. The french manuals refer to B as beeing II and A as beeing I for both the system and the games

I don't remember ever seeing chinese knockoffs of the core/pce pads back in 1989/1990.
Makes little sense when in-game references will be to I, II and Run buttons. Almost every game says 'Push Run button' right on the title screen. And heck the other controller right there in that bundle has the original button labels so those local manuals would be wrong for that one haha.

Even official PCE pads were half made in Taiwan by 91/92 so something off-brand was unlikely to be Japanese made.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a total joke that it's the middle of the day on the day this is supposed to go live for pre-orders and it's not available yet (US)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This will be the first Mini console I don't have nostalgia for so almost all of the games will be new to me

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, same for me as I never played on that console as well.
This will be the first Mini console I don't have nostalgia for so almost all of the games will be new to me
Greatness await thou.
There are some great ones in the game selection.
Just considering the US titles I think the following are notable games for that era (and some among the best of their kind):
Alien Crush (too bad Devil Crash is nowhere to be seen), Bomberman '93, Bonk's Revenge, Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, Lords Of Thunder, Military Madness, Neutopia, Neutopia II, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, R-Type, Soldier Blade, Ys Book I & II.

And then there are the JP exclusives like Castlevania Rondo of blood.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Boooooo. The US only has the TG16 version up.

Anyone know if there's a way to get the Core Grafx mini version off Amazon.jp without me having to buy amazon prime all over again?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i want to see some good threads of people discovering games on this system for the first time.

i had a turbografx when i was really young, like 5/6 years old-- but not many games for it. i borrowed games for it time to time from my uncle. when i was a teenager, about 15/16, my buddy got a turbo duo set for cheap off of yahoo auctions-- it had the bonk collection, lords of thunder, book of ys i +ii. we spent a weekend playing that thing and it was the first time i felt like i REALLY discovered something i missed out on.

i went to japan at 17 and the first thing i did was buy a pc-engine and CD (the briefcase system) with Dracula X, Snatcher and Ys IV. goddamn it was another huge discovery.

anyways, sorry for the tangentially related personal history. i just get really psyched out knowing people are discovering these games for the first time.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Greatness await thou.
There are some great ones in the game selection.
Just considering the US titles I think the following are notable games for that era (and some among the best of their kind):
Alien Crush (too bad Devil Crash is nowhere to be seen), Bomberman '93, Bonk's Revenge, Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, Lords Of Thunder, Military Madness, Neutopia, Neutopia II, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, R-Type, Soldier Blade, Ys Book I & II.

And then there are the JP exclusives like Castlevania Rondo of blood.

So you've never played Ninja Spirit? Boy oh boy are you in for a treat!

Nope never, pretty excited to get to play these

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought the Japanese one and just now I got the message that my European order on amazon.co.uk has been sent...if only I cancelled sooner, now I have two. Oh well I think you can easily return items and get a refund right?

/edit: oh wait, old thread, sorry