• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
So far they've only snatched up one game I wanted day one and maybe four I would eventually check out. All that minor compared to what is still coming to Steam and the backlog I'm trying to get through so no.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lapsed PC gamer who couldn't afford to upgrade for some time, but I planned on upgrading for Cyberpunk in a few months and have been saving up for it. In the meantime, the only game I still really play on PC is Destiny, though I miss the advantages of PC gaming and would love to come back.

EGS has me seriously second-guessing that decision. I came to PC gaming in 2008 when Steam was kicking into high gear and providing the PC with many of the advantages of consoles while sacrificing almost none of the advantages of PCs. It was already irritating enough to have to keep track of which game was on which launcher and who I have added on what friends list if we want to play together, and it only got worse while I was gone with the advent of things like EGS and Bethesda.net. I also rely heavily on features like screenshot taking and cloud saves, and knowing that I could get a call from my credit card company for too many repeat charges during a sale (because they don't have a shopping cart) genuinely discourages me from participating in it.

So I don't know. Maybe I'll just wait. If EGS ever gets market share on par with Steam, I probably won't ever come back.
Honestly, this is just really, really silly. A handful of big titles have become EGS exclusive. Big deal. Worrying about your credit card company doing a fraud check is stopping you from enjoying pc gaming? Jesus christ.

Use Discord like everyone else to keep in touch with your pc gaming friends. This is blowing things out of proportion the thread™.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Already have yeah. On console at least i can buy stuff like Control and Outer Worlds used so pubs/devs who make those deals don't get a single cent from me.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No; if I want a game bad enough I just buy it on EGS.

At this point that's Borderlands 3, my most anticipated game in years.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. After i buy the game i never have to look at the launcher since i just have Start pins for my active games. I'm also in the Galaxy 2.0 beta which is my single unified launcher now.

Its not even an issue

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. If it's a game I really want, I can wait. My backlog is huge. I just completed a game I bought 2 years ago, for example.
I also have a Switch, 3DS, 360, Vita....

Last edited:

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
For me its:

Steam/GOG version > Not playing the game > Playing the game on console > Playing the game on EGS

I didnt play judgement yet for this very reason.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's free to use. Why would I go back to consoles where you have to pay several hundred bucks to get access to a specific storefront when EGS is free to use? Yes it's lacking features steam has, but its still free to use so exclusives are a whatever.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Nope, it has absolutely zero impact for me. I will always play games on PC and buy the games I want wherever they're available.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. no. i bought a PC to play games on it at 4k 60 fps with ray tracing. i dont care if i buy them from Epic or Walmart or Gabe or Jeff Bezos or Phil Spencer.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia's near-monopoly in the GPU space is more likely to push me back to consoles than anything Epic are up to. Fuck those prices.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All it's done is made a list of games to avoid, it's easy enough. I still will play on pc as well as console.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, this is just really, really silly. A handful of big titles have become EGS exclusive. Big deal. Worrying about your credit card company doing a fraud check is stopping you from enjoying pc gaming? Jesus christ.

Use Discord like everyone else to keep in touch with your pc gaming friends. This is blowing things out of proportion the thread™.
Worrying about my credit card having suspicious activity makes me not want to participate in sales, while there's another platform that makes it significantly easier. But thanks for putting words in my mouth and being toxic to a post I phrased as politely as possible!

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Personally, i have never given up on consoles. They have great exclusives and I've had a gamefly membership for as long as I can remember.

At its worst, the EGS saves me money on titles I probably do not have the time to play anyway. To each their own, but I do not jive with the way Epic is running their business. An unfortunate add-on effect of the whole mess, that will save me money in the future, is that devs/pubs who stick their foot in their mouths to defend the store and attack criticism with disingenuous arguments actively turn me away from supporting them.

For reference, I have thousands of games across all other console/digital platforms, and had been using the Epic Launcher from sometime during the Fortnite beta period.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
No, I just ignore them and focus on my backlog.

One thing this EGS debacle has done is lessen my participation in the Gaming side of ERA. The boneheaded responses from EGS trolls and the lack of action from mods has made this community less enjoyable.

Oct 28, 2017
Where's the poll?

My answer is kinda. It inspired me to give up my dream of the PC being a superconsole and now my gaming PC is basically dedicated to my VR rig.

But that result wasn't 100% because of the Epic Store. It's 50-50 Epic and the terrible way the PC handles HDR.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I'm considering getting Untitled Goose Game on Switch (a platform I already own), but that's the only instance where I've felt this way. Otherwise, I'm fine waiting, especially since I have a big backlog. Hell, I may ultimately decide to wait it out for Untitled Goose Game.

I'm not all that opposed to the Epic Game Store doing its thing with the exclusives-- the PC launcher space needs this sort of competition-- but the power of Steam's convenience is too strong a pull.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Er no...

I'll just ignore the store/games that go on there. Although I want to pick up a Switch at some point.

To be honest none of these games that have gone exclusive are that interesting to me anyway, and by the time they come out on Steam I would have forgotten about them anyway.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worrying about my credit card having suspicious activity makes me not want to participate in sales, while there's another platform that makes it significantly easier. But thanks for putting words in my mouth and being toxic to a post I phrased as politely as possible!
What words am I putting in your mouth? You listed factors that are making you hesitant to start pc gaming, with your CC company phoning you for suspected fraud from buying multiple games on EGS being one of them. Thats your words not mine, and its such a minor inconvenience to stop you from PC gaming.

Also completely baffled at being called toxic for saying your reasons are silly, but okay.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because it won't last forever (they're gonna run out of Fortnite money eventually, especially if they keep trying to pay last place tournament players 55k)

There's like 30 games that release every month, it's not a big deal if you have to wait a year for a handful of titles.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
No. I don't really use any storefront's features aside from clicking the play button, so it doesn't really matter to me. I understand that some feel differently, but for me, EGS is indeed "just a different button."

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yea and no, I switched back to consoles because of how fragmented pc was and how much of a hassle it can be sometimes. It was before Epic had a store though it just solidified why I did it. I still love pc gaming though and would go back if there were no consoles and the only alternative was streaming.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
100%. I am not bothering to upgrade my PC until it explodes or crumbles to dust. PC market is just a pain in the ass at the moment.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
No, why would it? If im in interested in a game and i wouldnt want to buy it on EGS, i would just wait for it on steam, is it that hard for people to do this? Its not like we dont have 124821394823 games to play until they appear on steam.

The same could be asked about Ubisoft or EA (Uplay/Origin) and their games

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Why would a store make me want to play something that likely runs 30/60 fps when i can run it on my pc for more than double/triple the framerate.... also fk paying a subscription fee for online play

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So go from a semi walled garden to a completely walled garden with inferior performance and paid online?

Lol.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
EGS is killing PC gaming the same way Steam was killing PC gaming during the Half Life 2 days: Not at all.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. There's too many games on PC anyways. I don't need to play every game and for those I will, I can wait and get it discounted later.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I have a big enough Steam backlog of games to last me until we sink below the waves anyway.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For a while now PC gaming is my "gaming archive", where I play stuff i miss at launch, picking up on sale years down the road. Like I just recently bought doom 2016 and will play it, because it'll be glorious in 144 fps with gSync and running in ultra. Doom Eternal? I'll pick it up in 2-3 years, no real rush to play it.

Borderlands 3 is really the only one I'm not sure about, I kinda do want to play it at launch but would like to play on PC over ps4/xb1. Still not really sure what I'll do, I don't have any philosophical problem with the EGS store and have like 40 free games they have given me, I just don't want to attach a credit card to yet another thing lol. I'll probably just buy it on GMG or something.

Jun 25, 2019
Nah.
Epic's strategy is not sustainable. Wait it out for a couple of years and we'll find they either met their goal of getting devs on their side, or they didn't. Either way they will stop the moneyhatting at some point.
Things like game pass will make the EGS less attractive for customers and devs.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Why would a walled garden make you want to go to a more walled garden?

Yeah, let me go run out and buy a Xbox One so that I can be frustrated when a game I want to play releases exclusively on the Switch or PS4 but not Xbox One.

Oh maybe I should just buy a PS4? Then what happens when a game I want to play is released on the Switch or Xbox One?

Maybe I get a Switch? What happens when games come out on the PS4 or Xbox One?

Oh, I get it, I get PS4, Xbox One, and a Switch. Just like I have Steam, GOG and whatever the hell other places that sell games on PC are. Then I play whatever I want and not give a crap about any drama.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017

For the record I've owned all PlayStation consoles, but the suggestion of purchasing a console to spite Epic's moves in the PC space is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face: an absolutely ridiculous reaction for anyone concerned about walled gardens becoming the norm for PC gaming.