• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
So having invested in a brand new Nvidia 3090 card recently (although tbh it was the same for the 2xxx and 1xxx series cards before that) we still cannot output one of the most common encoded audio formats in existence via HDMI: Dolby Digital 5.1

As far as I can tell the only options for comfy couch PC users wanting DD 5.1 surround sound are to either buy a separate sound card (but seriously, who even does that in this age) and use optical out... or jump through crazy hoops and guides that may or may not work properly to download modded Nvidia drivers and lots of other bespoke software configuration just to output DD 5.1 over HDMI.

I don't need to do this on my PS4, my Apple TV, my SkyQ box, or any other device I can think of in recent memory... they all encode and output Dolby Digital 5.1 as standard.

Why does a top of the range GPU that has a HDMI out connection not offer this basic functionality in this day and age? It's insane. Essentially it means PC gamers with the most powerful graphics hardware on the planet are gimped into using Stereo PCM audio when playing games.

FYI my audio plays through a Sonos Beam (with 2 Play:1 rear speakers for surround sound). Dolby Digital 5.1 works beautifully for all my other connected devices mentioned above but not for my PC, which only outputs Stereo PCM via the Nvidia card.

If anyone has any insight into this issue, or even a simple solution I'm all ears.

EDIT - to replies suggesting using Dolby Atmos, thanks for the idea but this is unfortunately not an option for me as the Sonos Beam only supports DD 5.1 for surround sound, not Atmos. I would need to replace it with a Sonos Arc (£799) or equivalent for Atmos support.

EDIT 2 - found this blog post on the topic which seems quite helpful: https://killerpixel.me/2020/07/21/s...le-using-a-direct-hdmi-connection-to-your-tv/

EDIT 3 - to replies along the lines of "no idea what OP is talking about mine works fine etc." This is probably because your receiver/soundbar/system supports LPCM (which most PC games output) for surround sound. Mine does not, it only supports DD 5.1, hence why this is an issue for me and others.

SOLVED - the method posted by Dusker worked great, I now have proper DD 5.1 from my Nvidia GPU HDMI out to my Sonos Beam with minimal fuss involved, many thanks! Thanks also to everyone else who put forward suggestions, everything was useful in helping to clarify the issue and the options available.

I eventually probably will replace the Sonos Beam with a Sonos Arc, at which point I can drop DD 5.1 and use LPCM or Atmos for surround over HDMI, but until then this method is completely fine and cost nothing.

Last edited:

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused, is this for only certain games that only support DD 5.1 or for bypassing the need for using an AV receiver?

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Op, it doesn't seem to work via ARC is your problem. You need an HDMI in port and only then can you get 5.1. At least that was the only way I was able to get it to work with my sound bar.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I don't think this is a gpu issue rather than Windows one. I have a 1070 connected to my TV via hdmi and return audio to my old amplifier via optical cable. Netflix app on my pc pushes DD 5.1 audio, but nothing else does.

With PS5 everything is 5.1. Also old PC setup where I had hdmi through the amplifier to TV provided surround normally.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Also confused here. My gtx1070 has hdmi surround sound. It's in an office plugged through hdmi to the AV receiver in the living room. Doesn't the rtx3090 do the same ?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I used to send one hdmi cable to the tv for video and another to the receiver for audio and it worked fine for 5.1. Now I use eARC and I get full 7.1 Dolby Atmos from my PC.

Edit: yeah. It's an arc issue. Windows sees your TV as a stereo device, so it will only allow stereo to be output, it doesn't see the soundbar in the chain. You need to run through a receiver, or a soundbar with an hdmi in.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Will Atmos do? You can download the Dolby Access app and then choose Atmos from the Windows sound settings.

I prefer 7.1 LPCM though...no problems outputting that from my 1060 to my tv/receiver through eArc.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to do DD5.1 over uncompressed audio? It's useful for HDCP protected content, where it's required to get audio play, but don't think it should be used otherwise.
If you miss some channels, do you have correct channel setup in audio options? (which defaults to stereo)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about games? It's because games don't encode their audio into a Dolby Digital 5.1 format and your PC will output it in multi channel LPCM. You can get more than 2.0 out of LPCM though.

Last edited:

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Essentially it means PC gamers with the most powerful graphics hardware on the planet are gimped into using Stereo PCM audio when playing games.
It means using somewhat (I guess there are bandwidth limited scenarios with wireless stuff still?) obsolete compressed surround format is not easy on PC. Surround LPCM over HDMI works just fine without extra hassle.

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
It means using somewhat (I guess there are bandwidth limited scenarios with wireless stuff still?) obsolete compressed surround format is not easy on PC. Surround LPCM over HDMI works just fine without extra hassle.

That's so odd that it's even an issue. I remember as far back as my 6870 (10 years) just hooking it up directly to my AV receiver and would always get surround sound. I want to say that I did the same prior to that, as I've probably had a 5.1+ set up for my PC since like 2001 or so. Granted it wasn't HDMI, but since HDMI could do audio, I've had it hooked up to my AV receiver for surround sound.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the Dolby app is bugged for a ton of receivers right now and people can't get any sound.
I haven't really messed with it since I can play back LPCM just fine so there was never a need to set that up and I'm not familiar with its shortcomings. Sucks that it doesn't work.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Will Atmos do? You can download the Dolby Access app and then choose Atmos from the Windows sound settings.

I prefer 7.1 LPCM though...no problems outputting that from my 1060 to my tv/receiver through eArc.

Yeah, this will real time encode games as well, so seems like a good solution for the op. I couldn't use it because LG OLEDs introduce audio lag from HDMI Dolby Digital sources which makes games unplayable. If you're using another TV this should work well but it's of no help if you're using an LG OLED.

eARC is obviously the ideal solution but if you haven't upgraded both your TV and receiver in the last year then it's unlikely to be an option.

I personally use patched realtek drivers to enable real time encoding to DTS over the optical connection on my motherboard. Not ideal but the only other alternative I have is using a separate HDMI cable from the GPU direct to the receiver but this requires setting up a 2nd display device that I can't see, which is just too much ongoing hassle. At least with this solution it is set and forget.

Consoles do all of this so much better though it has to be said. You even get big PC releases like Halo 2: Anniversary that don't support surround sound at all.

I also like to bring attention to the fact that Microsoft broke Xaudio2 at some point and never fixed it which means if you're using any sort of real time audio encoding (including their new spatial audio support), a bunch of games will be locked to stereo. You need to patch DLL files to fix this, link below but use at your own risk:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, Atmos isn't built into Windows. You have to download and install the Dolby app in order to get those settings.

Correct, and there is a small fee but it seems like it's the solution the op is looking for. You're getting access to Dolby Atmos for Headphones with that purchase as well though, which I'd argue is worth the price alone.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Correct, and there is a small fee but it seems like it's the solution the op is looking for. You're getting access to Dolby Atmos for Headphones with that purchase as well though, which I'd argue is worth the price alone.

You also don't have to pay a fee, that's only for headphones.

But yes, OP, download the Dolby Access app from the Windows Store and you're set. Working fine here as long as it's not Atmos, which is an issue with my TV and not the GPU.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Surround sound for PC has typically been:
  • LPCM via analog outputs to PC surround sound kits or analog AVRs.
  • LPCM via HDMI to an AVR/sound bar.
While some sound cards do include a Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect license, that's rare since it's a lower quality option, and can add latency.
Note that Nintendo also choose not to license Dolby Digital for their consoles.

The real issue here is that Sonos are still selling products which only support Dolby Digital via Optical/HDMI ARC.
If you really want to stay in the Sonos ecosystem, perhaps the best option is to replace the 3090 with a 3080 and upgrade from the Beam to the Arc, which supports 5.1 LPCM or Atmos; for the same price as the 3090. Your display is required to support eARC for this to work though.

If you set windows to output Atmos, it'll compress game audio into Atmos/Dolby and bitstream that.
Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Atmos are different things.
As I understood it, Atmos support on PC should be using Dolby MAT (essentially LPCM + Atmos) rather than a compressed format.

There is only a fee to use it with your own (unlicensed) headphones.
Atmos for speakers is free, as the hardware includes the license.

You even get big PC releases like Halo 2: Anniversary that don't support surround sound at all.
I've not tested this myself, but PC Gaming Wiki reports that the original release supported 5.1 and Anniversary supports 7.1.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this will real time encode games as well, so seems like a good solution for the op. I couldn't use it because LG OLEDs introduce audio lag from HDMI Dolby Digital sources which makes games unplayable. If you're using another TV this should work well but it's of no help if you're using an LG OLED.

Are you talking specifically from the GPU, or HDMI in general? Because I had my PS5 hooked up to my C8 and used the optical out of the TV for the audio, and there wasn't any perceivable audio lag, or additional input lag. Currently for PC games I just use a dedicated sound card that has a good headphone amp, or I just use the optical out.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Surround sound for PC has typically been:
  • LPCM via analog outputs to PC surround sound kits or analog AVRs.
  • LPCM via HDMI to an AVR/sound bar.
While some sound cards do include a Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect license, that's rare since it's a lower quality option, and can add latency.
Note that Nintendo also choose not to license Dolby Digital for their consoles.

The real issue here is that Somos are still selling products which only support Dolby Digital via Optical/HDMI ARC.
If you really want to stay in the Sonos ecosystem, perhaps the best option is to replace the 3090 with a 3080 and upgrade from the Beam to the Arc, which supports 5.1 LPCM or Atmos; for the same price as the 3090. Your display is required to support eARC for this to work though.

Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Atmos are different things.
As I understood it, Atmos support on PC should be using Dolby MAT (essentially LPCM + Atmos) rather than a compressed format.

There is only a fee to use it with your own (unlicensed) headphones.
Atmos for speakers is free, as the hardware includes the license.

I've not tested this myself, but PC Gaming Wiki reports that the original release supported 5.1 and Anniversary supports 7.1.
Yeah they're different but I'm just sticking to the marketing terms since it gets confusing. I didn't know about MAT though, that's interesting. I thought it was being compressed to DD with some Atmos metadata slapped on.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
You also don't have to pay a fee, that's only for headphones.

But yes, OP, download the Dolby Access app from the Windows Store and you're set. Working fine here as long as it's not Atmos, which is an issue with my TV and not the GPU.

Never realised that, I paid for the license during the trial and always assumed that was part of it. This is the obvious solution for the OP then so long as he doesn't have an LG OLED.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I have no idea what OP is talking about. Been playing PC games in the living room with 5.1 surround sound for years. Why do you care if the mix is Dolby or LPCM? It's still 5.1 surround sound, and probably wont be able to tell the difference anyway.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Are you talking specifically from the GPU, or HDMI in general? Because I had my PS5 hooked up to my C8 and used the optical out of the TV for the audio, and there wasn't any perceivable audio lag, or additional input lag. Currently for PC games I just use a dedicated sound card that has a good headphone amp, or I just use the optical out.

Any external Dolby Digital source introduces undefeatable audio lag when used with an LG OLED. It goes back as far back as at least the 6 series and is still present in the X series. Its specifically Dolby Digital, DTS is fine.

Once you notice it, games become unplayable, it's impossible to ignore and LG have left it broken for half a decade. It's even worse on the X series as the inexplicably removed DTS support. So unless you have a receiver with eARC, you're going to have to buy something like a shARC or run the audio directly to your receiver which is no longer an option with PS5 and Series X as they've dropped optical out.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea what OP is talking about. Been playing PC games in the living room with 5.1 surround sound for years. Why do you care if the mix is Dolby or LPCM? It's still 5.1 surround sound, and probably wont be able to tell the difference anyway.

Unless both your TV and receiver support eARC then you're limited to stereo when using LPCM. The only other way around it is to create a second "ghost" display from the 2nd HDMI port to your receiver and that can introduce all sorts of issues such as Windows getting "stuck" on a 2nd display that you can't actually view. It's far from an elegant solution.

Not everybody has upgraded both their TV and receiver in the last year. I've got a LG B8 which is only a couple years old and it doesn't support eARC. Most consumers aren't buying a new $2000 TV and $500 receiver every year.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Any external Dolby Digital source introduces undefeatable audio lag when used with an LG OLED. It goes back as far back as at least the 6 series and is still present in the X series. Its specifically Dolby Digital, DTS is fine.

Once you notice it, games become unplayable, it's impossible to ignore and LG have left it broken for half a decade. It's even worse on the X series as the inexplicably removed DTS support. So unless you have a receiver with eARC, you're going to have to buy something like a shARC or run the audio directly to your receiver which is no longer an option with PS5 and Series X as they've dropped optical out.

I know the PS5 doesn't have an optical out...I have one, which is why I had to use my TV's out this time. Previously I always just used the optical out of the consoles that had them. But anyway, I checked my settings again and I actually did have it set to DTS. Going to change it to Dolby Digital just to see how bad it is. Also, didn't they remove DTS for the CX? If so, that doesn't bode well for future LG TVs.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Unless both your TV and receiver support eARC then you're limited to stereo when using LPCM. The only other way around it is to create a second "ghost" display from the 2nd HDMI port to your receiver and that can introduce all sorts of issues such as Windows getting "stuck" on a 2nd display that you can't actually view. It's far from an elegant solution.

Not everybody has upgraded both their TV and receiver in the last year. I've got a LG B8 which is only a couple years old and it doesn't support eARC. Most consumers aren't buying a new $2000 TV and $500 receiver every year.
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Am I missing something?
From the GPU's HDMI to the AV/receiver's In, then Out to the TV. Voila, you have 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio on your PC.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I know the PS5 doesn't have an optical out...I have one, which is why I had to use my TV's out this time. Previously I always just used the optical out of the consoles that had them. But anyway, I checked my settings again and I actually did have it set to DTS. Going to change it to Dolby Digital just to see how bad it is. Also, didn't they remove DTS for the CX? If so, that doesn't bode well for future LG TVs.

Yeah, DTS is the fix, I use that with an Xbox One X just fine. Yep, they removed DTS from the CX/BX so unless you have a receiver with eARC you're not going to be able to get surround sound without either a new receiver or something like a shARC.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Am I missing something?
From the GPU's HDMI to the AV/receiver's In, then Out to the TV. Voila, you have 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio on your PC.

That breaks down as soon as you want support for:

4K60
4K120
All HDR formats
All VRR formats

Even if you have a receiver that supports all of that (and I'm not even sure one even exists), you've then got to cross your fingers and hope that your receiver doesn't introduce any additional input lag.

The old model of running all video devices to a receiver and then running one cable from a receiver to the display is dead in the world of constantly updating video standards unless you want to upgrade your receiver every year.

I only have an old low end receiver and speaker setup, where I really can't tell the difference between DTS and LPCM in games, but the difference between HDR/SDR is night and day.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That breaks down as soon as you want support for:

4K60
4K120
All HDR formats
All VRR formats

Even if you have a receiver that supports all of that (and I'm not even sure one even exists), you've then got to cross your fingers and hope that your receiver doesn't introduce any additional input lag.

The old model of running all video devices to a receiver and then running one cable from a receiver to the display is dead in the world of constantly updating video standards unless you want to upgrade your receiver every year.

I only have an old low end receiver and speaker setup, where I really can't tell the difference between DTS and LPCM in games, but the difference between HDR/SDR is night and day.
Another option is using two HDMI cables. Most GPUs have more than one HDMI output, certainly all those that are going to give you HDMI 2.1 for the formats you've listed.

You have one HDMI going to your receiver carrying the audio only and make this the default audio channel in Windows, and then the other HDMI going directly to your TV which will be your default display.

Not ideal but a potential solution if you don't have a HDMI 2.1 AV receiver and want support for 4k120. Otherwise the ShARC is another potential option, but obviously is an additional purchase.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Another option is using two HDMI cables. Most GPUs have more than one HDMI output, certainly all those that are going to give you HDMI 2.1 for the formats you've listed.

You have one HDMI going to your receiver carrying the audio only and make this the default audio channel in Windows, and then the other HDMI going directly to your TV which will be your default display.

Not ideal but a potential solution if you don't have a HDMI 2.1 AV receiver and want support for 4k120.

The problem with that is that there isn't such a thing as an audio only HDMI device in Windows, so you have to set it up the second cable as a display which is just messy, especially if errant programs decide to open up on the 2nd display which you can't actually view. It can work but it's not an elegant solution.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You can output DD 5.1 through third party software if you look for it. Though if you paid 1500 for a GPU, maybe invest in your audio chain also.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with that is that there isn't such a thing as an audio only HDMI device in Windows, so you have to set it up the second cable as a display which is just messy, especially if errant programs decide to open up on the 2nd display which you can't actually view. It can work but it's not an elegant solution.

It can be a bit of a hassle, but the 'SHIFT+WIN+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW' shortcut can bring things back to your main display without needing to see the second screen.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
That's weird, my old 980 Ti connected to my receiver via HDMI outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 when I'm watching Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird, my old 980 Ti connected to my receiver outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 when I'm watching Netflix.

Because that's just sending a pre-encoded audio stream. People want the encoding to happen in real-time for games and such.

It's all licensing, and Nvidia don't want to pay Dolby royalties for every card they sell for the relatively few people who have old/cheap receivers that don't accept uncompressed audio.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
The HDMI out on my receiver recently stopped working, so now I've got one HDMI from PC going to the TV for video, and another HDMI from PC going to the receiver for audio. You have to set your screen display to extended, but I haven't had any problems yet. As long as your GPU has two outputs you should be fine.

OP
OP
Tankshell

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the input everyone. Using optical out is not an option for me due to the layout and distances involved, sound must go through the existing HDMI cable. Using an additional HDMI out is also not an option as I currently have all ports in use (multi monitor setup).

So it sounds like my remaining options are:
  • Upgrade my sound bar to something that supports Atmos or LPCM for surround sound input. My current Sonos Beam + Play:1 surround speakers (only a year old and wasn't exactly a cheap option to begin with) only supports DD 5.1 for surround sound. I really should have considered this before but meh, too late now. This is an expensive option but would solve the issue completely.

• Install some software on my PC to do the Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding in real-time in software, and then pass that through the Nvidia HDMI out to the Sonos Beam. This will probably introduce some latency though so I'm not sure that is viable option for gaming. I do have a 9900K so CPU should be up to the task. What software should I use to try the latter option, to encode LPCM (which most PC games output) to Dolby Digital 5.1 (not Atmos) on the fly?

I have it working for my 2080Ti. Check this out Windows 10 Dolby Surround for All Games (bramantya.org) and follow the instructions in the video but skip the first step (no need to install the modded nvidia driver).

Edit: forgot to mention you will have to run this setup every time you install a new nvidia driver update but it takes just a minute.

Dusker does this actually work well for you? Do you get any audio latency whilst gaming?

Thanks for your response all, they have been very useful so far and helped to clarify the issue.

Last edited:

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the input everyone, so it sounds like my options are:
  • Upgrade my sound bar to something that supports Atmos or LPCM for surround sound input. My current Sonos Beam + Play:1 surround speakers (only a year old and wasn't exactly a cheap option to begin with) only supports DD 5.1 for surround sound, so this is an expensive option but would solve the issue completely.

• Install some software on my PC to do the Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding in real-time in software, and then pass that through the Nvidia HDMI out to the Sonos Beam. This will probably introduce some latency though so I'm not sure that is viable option for gaming. I do have a 9900K so CPU should be up to the task. What software should I use to try the latter option, to encode LPCM (which most PC games output) to Dolby Digital 5.1 (not Atmos) on the fly?

• Using optical out is not an option for me due to the layout and distances involved, sound must go through the existing HDMI cable. Using an additional HDMI out is also not an options as I currently have all ports in use (multi monitor setup).

Thanks for your response all, they have been very useful so far.
Just seen this thread but it sounds like you have a very similar setup to me.

I believe Atmos is backwards compatible so you might be ok. I'm using an old 5.1 system and its how I'm able to get surround on my windows pc. I think that you can do a free trial of it to find out if it'll work rather than buying a new sound bar.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Too bad the Dolby app is bugged for a ton of receivers right now and people can't get any sound.

They fixed that in the last update, as long as you have the newest Windows 10 version. I think about a week ago.

I've also been using an nVidia GPU for years and never had issues with DD 5.1 through my receiver so i'm confused by the OP.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They fixed that in the last update, as long as you have the newest Windows 10 version. I think about a week ago.

I've also been using an nVidia GPU for years and never had issues with DD 5.1 through my receiver so i'm confused by the OP.
Okay, I'll update my windows. If this doesn't work I'll be very sad, indeed.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I'll update my windows. If this doesn't work I'll be very sad, indeed.

Its a weird update to the Dolby app as well. If it detects you're not on the latest version of Windows it looks like its updating the app, but it actually isnt and stays on the current version. When you go to "downloads and updates" on the Windows store, check the Dolby app is at the top of the list by date. If it isn't, your Windows still needs an update. I had to do it over two days, because Windows I guess.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Its a weird update to the Dolby app as well. If it detects you're not on the latest version of Windows it looks like its updating the app, but it actually isnt and stays on the current version. When you go to "downloads and updates" on the Windows store, check the Dolby app is at the top of the list by date. If it isn't, your Windows still needs an update. I had to do it over two days, because Windows I guess.
My Dolby app updated last week to 3.7. Still no sounds for the home theater mode. Now that I'm updating windows we'll see what happens.