• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Dude I love Brutal Legend. If you have any place in your heart for classic metal, try out this game. Just give it half an hour and see how it sits with you. This is a real oddball but I think it's worth playing.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Never played it but the world and characters always seemed fun.

Saatchquatch

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I always meant to grab this on 360 but for some reason never got round to it... Had no idea it even came out on PC tbh.

Thanks! :D

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I hate this game.

That demo on the PS3 was such a bait-and-switch.

Would never have bought it if I had gotten to the whole RTS mechanic.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
If you can get over the game not being the hack-n-slash EA tried to tell you it was, the "RTS" parts are actually good.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this is weird, I was just thinking about Brutal Legend today.

But why now? Does Humble Bundle do this kind of free game deal often? Is there something going on with Double Fine / Brutal Legend?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
One of my favorite games of all time. If you've got any love in your heart for games that dare to do things differently, you need to try it. And now you've got no excuse not to.

Such a great game, destroyed by the RTS sections.

The stage battles are what make Brutal Legend. They were the idea that the entire game sprang from, and they're what makes it so unique.

Zetaero

Oct 28, 2017
Dude I love Brutal Legend. If you have any place in your heart for classic metal, try out this game. Just give it half an hour and see how it sits with you. This is a real oddball but I think it's worth playing.
But 30 mins isn't enough time to get to the weird rts sections.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The stage battles are what make Brutal Legend. They were the idea that the entire game sprang from, and they're what makes it so unique.

This.

They're so awesome. Start with battling alongside your units in hack&slash mode, fly up and command them. Make a flaming led zeppelin appear with a guitar rif, and then jump on a carriage and drive into battle once more.

Tek233

Oct 25, 2017
sad this never made it to backwards compatibility as I still have the 360 disc. I can imagine the licenses for all the music being the main reason why it hasn't

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I also enjoyed the strategy battles. Seems like they got a lot of flack tho. I suppose mostly because people just expected a platformer or adventure game. But it's not just a platform or adventure game.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
My one regret was leveling up Call of the Wild and losing access to the Laser Panther.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Great setting, great ost, great characters, nice story, great overworld. Stage battles.. Ouch.

Oct 28, 2017
Played this when it came out with a friend on his x-box. He did all the RTS sections, because I really sucked at them. Something about playing an RTS with a controller just didn't click with me. But sometimes I still have a song from the soundtrack stuck in my head. Good times.

Might need to get it on PC, if only for the nostalgia

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Played this when it came out with a friend on his x-box. He did all the RTS sections, because I really sucked at them. Something about playing an RTS with a controller just didn't click with me. But sometimes I still have a song from the soundtrack stuck in my head. Good times.

Might need to get it on PC, if only for the nostalgia

I think a lot of people struggled with the stage battles. It helps to not think of them as RTS segments; in the campaign at least, managing your troops rarely gets deeper than recruiting new units, followed by "go there", "stay here" or "attack that". Most of your time should be spent on the ground with any given group of units helping them kill or defend whatever you've pointed them at. Use lots of solos and team attacks and you'll be on easy street.

It plays well on PC too, especially with the bump to 60fps.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overlooked gem right here imo.

But i have to say that it's at least 1/3 to short. The story ends to soon and you feel that they had to end there because of money/time reasons.

And EA didn't market it honest enough. So many people were pissed when it was more of a strategy hybrid and not a God of War/Viking: Battle for Asgard hybrid.

I liked it.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Knew about the RTS stuff going in, still did not like it. Really would've preferred hack and slash, instead of... unit management.
But, free. Too bad I have it already.