• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
We have been hearing about Intel's upcoming Comet Lake S desktop CPUs for a long time now, with numerous leaks and rumors making the rounds. Adding to the pile, a handful of official looking slides from Intel's related press deck have found their way to the web, and confirm the specs of three of Intel's top gaming chips.

Granted, nothing is ever truly official until there is an actual announcement or launch. Be that as it may, Intel has already launched Comet Lake in mobile form including Comet Lake-Y and Comet Lake-U CPUs for thin and light laptops, and Comet Lake-H processors for more powerful notebooks. The next destination is the desktop.

That is what the Comet Lake-S series will comprise. Model names and specifications have been floated around for quite some time now, but the newly leaked slides provide the strongest evidence yet of three specific SKUs.

Obtained by Videocardz, Intel's marketing materials outline high level specifications for the Core i9 10900K, Core i7-10700K, and Core i5 10600K. All three are unlocked processors (as denoted by the "K" designation), and two of them feature boost clocks in excess of 5GHz, according to the slides.

Here's a tidy breakdown:

• Core i9 10900K—10 cores / 20 threads, up to 5.3GHz
  • Core i7-10700K—8 cores / 16 threads, up to 5.1GHz
  • Core i5-10600K—6 cores / 12 threads, up to 4.8GHz
The full specifications will be more nuanced than what the slides indicate. For example, the 5.3GHz claim attached to the 10900K comes by way of Intel's Thermal Velocity Boost technology, which "opportunistically" pushes past the regular boost clock "whenever processor temperature and turbo budget allows."

Source link: https://www.pcgamer.com/here-are-the-confirmed-specs-for-intels-next-gen-gaming-cpus/

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
There's already a thread.

These things will draw over 250w easily.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
6 cores for the i5 & hyperthreading being standard is amazing, but it feels quite late, since Ryzen exists & all. We really just need 7nm from Intel & a new architecture, not Skylake ++++++++++

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The 9900k has no issue maintaining the boost clock of 5Ghz on all cores if desired as long as you have a decent cooler, hopefully the 10900k will be the same at 5.3GHz.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
How are Intel stock coolers able to hit those frequencies. 4.8ghz for a i5 seems insane

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a relatively incremental update, primarily to try to prevent AMD taking the "money no object best CPU for gaming" crown. Not sure it'll be enough. Will be interested to see how the i5 is priced, since the Ryzen 3600 is an excellent chip and the Ryzen 1600 AF basically makes all other sub-$100 CPUs look extremely unflattering in comparison.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which brand is the strongest on the CPU side for games at the moment? Thinking about upgrading next year of 2022, and not sure what to keep my eyes on, haha.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 10600k seems like an extremely small step forward from my 8600k. Am I missing something, or is that an accurate statement?

I remember that my CPU had to have a software fix for those meltdown and spectre vulnerabilites, and my performance took a 10% hit. I'm assuming the 10600k would have regained that 10% performance with proper hardware, which I guess is nothing to sneeze at. But still, the specs on paper are almost identical from the pre-meltdown/spectre 8600k.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Which brand is the strongest on the CPU side for games at the moment? Thinking about upgrading next year of 2022, and not sure what to keep my eyes on, haha.

If price doesn't matter, 9900k at the moment is the best. If price matters, best to go with AMD's 3900x, 3700x or 3600, probably.

But next year or even 2022 is far away. We should be having AMDs Zen3 CPUs by next year and those are likely going to be the undisputed kings if they're yet another good step up from zen2.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If price doesn't matter, 9900k at the moment is the best. If price matters, best to go with AMD's 3900x, 3700x or 3600, probably.

But next year or even 2022 is far away. We should be having AMDs Zen3 CPUs by next year and those are likely going to be the undisputed kings if they're yet another good step up from zen2.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going from the 6700k to whatever is the best performance-wise at the time.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Probably worth noting that if you buy one of these CPUs then you won't be able to utilize the ultra-fast PCIe 4.0 SSDs that next-gen games will be designed around. You'll still be able to use slower PCIe 3.0 SSDs, but those who want "THE BEST PERFORMANCE NO MATTER WHAT" might want to think twice.

We're talking twice the SSD speed on AMD platforms versus a negligible CPU-bound FPS difference on overclocked Intel CPUs.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Probably worth noting that if you buy one of these CPUs then you won't be able to utilize the ultra-fast PCIe 4.0 SSDs that next-gen games will be designed around. You'll still be able to use slower PCIe 3.0 SSDs, but those who want "THE BEST PERFORMANCE NO MATTER WHAT" might want to think twice.

We're talking twice the SSD speed on AMD platforms versus a negligible CPU-bound FPS difference on overclocked Intel CPUs.
Comet lake S support PCIE 4.0 boards actually. Read in a report posted by videocardz.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
9700K club represent! *respek knuckles*
I'm curious to see how it holds up with an RTX 30 series GPU against 9th-gen multiplats.

I am curious too. Built my rig last April with a 9700k and a 2070. I couldn't be happier with its performance(I have it Oced to 4.9 Ghz).

I was a bit concerned With only 8 threads when next gen consoles were announced with a 8c/16t cpu but honestly I don't see it being somewhat an issue till later in generation where the 16t will get taken advantage off but still The9700k single thread performance is amazing.

I think personally a 9700k will be fine throughout all next gen paired with a 30xx series Nvidia card.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would be fine with these if not for a lack of PCIE 4.0.
Comet lake S support PCIE 4.0 boards actually. Read in a report posted by videocardz.
I think you mean since Rocket-S might share the same socket that you could potentially use a Comet Lake S chip on a Rocket board but that is in no way a guarantee.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I would wait for zen 3 chips before bothering with Intel right now to be honest. A rumored 17% ipc increase and clock speed bump and these things might be the real deal to dethrone intel for gaming.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i7 4790k and a 2070 Super. Can someone please help me understand if these would be the professors worth upgrading to? Or should I wait? Still doing great in all my games.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have an i7 4790k and a 2070 Super. Can someone please help me understand if these would be the professors worth upgrading to? Or should I wait? Still doing great in all my games.
If you want Intel I would wait for Rocket Lake since Comet doesn't have PCIE 4.0 support yet. Otherwise look into ZEN 3 from AMD this year. AMD is running ahead of Intel right now.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Really, no one should upgrade to these unless you really want the absolute maximum framerate in games and don't care too much for high cost and power consumption. Right now, that is. Since Zen3 is poised to wreck Intel in even that one small area that Intel holds a small advantage over.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Really, no one should upgrade to these unless you really want the absolute maximum framerate in games and don't care too much for high cost and power consumption. Right now, that is. Since Zen3 is poised to wreck Intel in even that one small area that Intel holds a small advantage over.
I think I'm going to be ok for this gen with the 3900x I'm going to hold out fot Zen 4, DDR5 and PCIE 5.0

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo. AMD coming for intels booty with zen 3 methinks.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Thought for a second these were the 2021 processors. This year's lineup is just a higher clocked 9000 series with HT on everything. Shows you how desperate they are when that's the main selling point. They should lower the prices first and foremost.

Also the consumption is insane.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Thought for a second these were the 2021 processors. This year's lineup is just a higher clocked 9000 series with HT on everything. Shows you how desperate they are when that's the main selling point. They should lower the prices first and foremost.

Also the consumption is insane.

These haven't even got prices - not that I think they are suddenly going to be price competitive, but at least wait for the full details

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Also, why the socket change when there' isn't relevant upgrades like PCIE 4.0 or anything? Cuz once the fabled 7nm new architecture arrives, you can bet your ass we'll have new socket and mobos. Honestly, I'm running out of excuses for this company.

They're like AMD in 2012 and their prices should reflect that.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Also, why the socket change when there' isn't relevant upgrades like PCIE 4.0 or anything? Cuz once the fabled 7nm new architecture arrives, you can bet your ass we'll have new socket and mobos. Honestly, I'm running out of excuses for this company.

They're like AMD in 2012 and their prices should reflect that.
$$$

I think Zen 3 is really going to bite Intel in the ass if the IPC improvements are true. They will be literally zero reason to go Intel this year.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it funny? You never knew you needed something but then you see it written out

Core i9 10900K—10 cores / 20 threads, up to 5.3GHz

and you wonder how you ever lived without it.