• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Baldur's Gate 3 won't leave Early Access this year 'for sure'

The next update will be based on feedback from players.
It's been a while since we heard from Larian Studios regarding Baldur's Gate 3. There have been several hotfixes to the in-development RPG in the last few months, but the last substantial update was in February, when the druid class was added. Now, in a video interview with GameSpot, studio founder Swen Vincke has confirmed that Baldur's Gate 3 won't be leaving Early Access in 2021. "We are really trying to get the game done by next year," he said. "It's not gonna release this year for sure."

The studio is currently busy improving what's in Early Access and completing the rest of the game at the same time. Vincke explained that the next update, whenever it comes, will be one that changes existing elements rather than adding a lot of new ones, so don't expect another new class, for instance. "It's an update that focuses on a lot of the feedback that we've been getting," he said. "It's more focused on features than it is on new content."

Vincke mentioned that some of the feedback has been from players of melee characters who are finding they don't have as many options as they'd like. That's part of the nature of playing a fighter in Dungeons & Dragons, he explained. "[In] D&D, the fighter class is the tutorial class. At the tabletop it is used to teach you how to play, but as a result it gives you limited things at the get-go to work with."

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Add another one to the already bonkers 2022 pile.

I know BG3 won't be too hot on the mainstream GOTYs, but I hope when it comes to quality it can trade blows with the likes of Elden Ring, GoW and Zelda. I know the early access has been regarded as mostly positive but still with tons of caveats, so I hope they take their time to make it right.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
They're focusing on changing what's in the game due to feedback instead of adding new stuff, that's promising. I really hope they're willing to make the changes people are asking for.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Feel like this maybe got released to EA a bit...early? Haven't touched it in months happy to wait for the finished article.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this maybe got released to EA a bit...early? Haven't touched it in months happy to wait for the finished article.
Yeah, I mean they didn't even have all the classes in yet.

I dunno, some games it feels okay to have EA but these kinda games don't feel right being so early access.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible for Vincke to go two seconds without saying something goofy. Fighter is not a "tutorial class."

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I can wait to play this game.

For me, there are a lot of changes that absolutely need to be made for it to not only feel like a Baldur's Gate game, but to properly incorporate 5th edition rule set, and not just their own broken version of it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
And there it is, was really excited to try out Necromancy arcane tradition in a video game. Too bad but I have plenty to play in the interim.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
If they're actually addressing feedback, isn't this EA working as intended?

Yes, this is the point of Early Access. It's not just free access to the game early, it's like a premium Alpha experience. The goal is to offer feedback for the developers to action on, not just play the game before it's content complete. Unfortunately, people treat it as just another game release and cry about how unfinished the game is, but don't actually go through the proper channels to give their feedback.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
DOS 2 was one of my favorite RPGs of the last decade so take all the time you need with BG3, i'll be there day one. 🙏

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I bought in to the Early Access close to launch just on how much I enjoyed DOS 1 and especially 2, but I realized in about half an hour I couldn't put myself through the game till it's completely finished.

Sucks it's so far off, but I'll savor it when it's finished.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
as someone who is just waiting for it to come out and hasn't really been paying attention to it I always kinda assumed it would be, would have been surprised if it had released this year

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Probably 2023 for console release
FlatPhonyDodobird-size_restricted.gif

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Let it cook. Larian has earned my trust time and time again, and as someone who hasn't played 5E nor got all that into the first games in the series, I just want them to establish the games own identity distinct from DOS2.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm OK with this. Hopefully they'll use this time to optimize the game a bit. I don't exactly have a monster rig.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
No worries. The game as it is now in its unfinished state is better than the vast majority of completed retail games. The wait will be worth it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I want it later rather than sooner if that means they have a chance to make a better game.