• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your have no idea what your talking about, If that's all your seeing than you are just seeing what you want to see. This has never been about just wanting the steam store, this whole thing is how the epic store is basically screwing customers and people not being okay with it.

There are four main platforms that I've read discussions on, a lot of the comments I've seen echo a sentiment of disdain for using another launcher and complaining that Steam should be the only launcher to be used. These arguements have been made every time a major publisher has started their own launcher and have taken their first party games out of Steams launcher.

I never said that the protests weren't about just wanting steam to be the only store, I simply said that I had seen more comments in line with that thinking than I had on actual discussion about business practices. See further down as well.

"They want only Steam to exist" is wrong on so many levels.
As someone with a "Journalist" tag you should actually be extra careful to not sell your personal anecdotes as facts (while they aren't facts at all).

The whole "EPIC vs PC GAMING" discussion is such a huge and broad topic that "they want only Steam to exist" is such an arrogant and stupid statement. You shouldn't try to hottake such a complex situation.

I don't really understand your point about selling my anecdotes as fact. I quite specifically said in the comment that started all of this that "I see" more of one sentiment, one arguement, one reasoning, than the other. No where in that post did I ever say that this is fact and here is my source, because I don't have the source. It's anecdotal. It's my personal experience.

It's okay to disagree with me on that and counter it, it is what discussion is all about, but don't put words in my mouth or assume there is implication in my posts.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I think review bombing a game not based on it's content is silly, but it's fair and people are allowed to do that, I guess. Me personally, I'm extremely supportive of Epic.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just do what I do and now phase out of the actual meat in these discussions. It is clear Era has a tendency to flip flop on captialism while also defending social rights in the same sentence, with many of those posters just straight up ignoring the comments made before on these very topics of Epic and going straight for the tired old "but it is just a launcher/still on the same platform/defenders only want Steam as a monopoly!"

There honestly is no point bothering to respond to those coming in with drive by comments that have been repeated ad infinitum because they really don't care. They don't care about their consumer rights, they don't care about how Epic is essentially trying to own the PC platform as theirs, they don't care that the hypocrisy of Epic in claiming Steam is a monopoly then doing just that through scum exclusitivity or purchasing a dev then removing their game from Steam. No one who comments in the mindset as the one you quoted actually care about proper discussion, because everytime it is given to them on exactly why such issues are being raised against Epic they simply baulk at such issues and say it doesn't bother them and such concerns are childish.

Even with Jim Sterling finally realising the sheer toxicity that Epic is producing now with their platform it still doesn't sway opinion. People still see it as simply an .exe war when it is so far beyond that. To the point where Epic's claim of better developer revenue means in reality HIGHER price tags on games. Higher. Like $10 higher for US or here in Australia, now $100AUD for certain games.

But review bombing is childish, it is just an .exe and we should all grow up because Steam needs competition because it is a monopoly. Oh and think of the devs who are handpicked by Epic's selective curation and any off-the-street dev would actually be unable to appear on Epic's store and would actually be better off on Steam's curation system despite the constant barrage that it is broken because it lets shitty games come through that very quickly get pulled off or die in a corner (unless you look for them specifically).

Good post right here. These EGS threads sure are frustrating with all these dismissive people who more often than not have zero investment in PC gaming and constantly pop in with one-liners and insults.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to disagree with me on that and counter it, it is what discussion is all about, but don't put words in my mouth or assume there is implication in my posts.
Are you sure that you aren't implying anything? With posts like these? Because it sure sounds like you do.
[...] I said the most common one I see is that they want only Steam to exist, which is true from what I've seen. It's my anecdotal experience.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a life outside of these threads and of Era in general. Please don't confuse me living it with packing up and AFKing because I was "called out" for stating an opinion of mine.

In terms of being called out on my BS, I'm not sure I follow. I said the most common thing I see is people only wanting Steam to exist, which is true. ResetEra is not the only place that this conversation is happening and I most commonly see a sentiment of "I don't want to download another game launcher" and "why do they need another market place when steam exists?"

I think you are lying, quite honestly. Either that or you are selectively interpreting people's words to fit some idea you have in your head. For example, someone saying they do not want to download another game launcher is absolutely not them saying they think only Steam should exist. That's ridiculous.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
There are four main platforms that I've read discussions on, a lot of the comments I've seen echo a sentiment of disdain for using another launcher and complaining that Steam should be the only launcher to be used. These arguements have been made every time a major publisher has started their own launcher and have taken their first party games out of Steams launcher.

I never said that the protests weren't about just wanting steam to be the only store, I simply said that I had seen more comments in line with that thinking than I had on actual discussion about business practices. See further down as well.

I don't really understand your point about selling my anecdotes as fact. I quite specifically said in the comment that started all of this that "I see" more of one sentiment, one arguement, one reasoning, than the other. No where in that post did I ever say that this is fact and here is my source, because I don't have the source. It's anecdotal. It's my personal experience.

But if you actually "saw" so many posts expressing that sentiment, you'd certainly be able to link us to one of them. Just one.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Minecraft is still being sold on PS4. They allowed the Vita release to happen. They made a Switch version.

The Outer Worlds is still releasing on Steam and PS4.

Hellblade is getting a Switch version, the PS4 and Steam versions are not delisted. Microsoft has delisted 0 games following the acquisitions.

Valve acquired the Firewatch devs, is Firewatch still on GoG? Yes

Epic plans to delist this game, as evidenced by the Verge article and the wording they're using along the attitude of the SteamSpy dude.

Nobody else delists existing games following an acquisition. Only Epic. Try again.
The Outer Worlds is due to it being published by a 2K sub-division, so it would be dumb to violate that to harm a third-party partner and take more financial hits on top of it. Minecraft and Hellblade are more about not upsetting the money flow for games that already exist elsewhere, though I don't think I've seen anything about Rocket League being pulled from all platforms either. Their new games aren't exactly going to release on

I don't know what this Try Again stuff is about. I'm asking a question since I was confused as to what was so bad about this acquisition compared to any other where people actively encourage it for other publishers and platform holders. Feel free to knock that crap off.

As regards developer acquisitions, yes, this is specifically because it's Epic. We know that them acquiring the developer is just a slightly less shady - and considerably more permanent - variant of the same exclusivity crap we've been getting from them the past few months. They're not doing this to help the developer, they're doing it primarily to get another popular game as an exclusive on their store, and any help the developer may receive in the future is entirely dependent on whether this whole business brings them any extra money worth mentioning.
Thanks. Is there really no benefit to Psyonix in this? I was hoping it would lead to some better UE tech help to hopefully get them to the point where they can have a cross-platform account system for items to be available anywhere you own the game and maybe some better financial support for RLCS since that's the best of the dev-run eSports leagues that I've seen.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Outer Worlds is due to it being published by a 2K sub-division, so it would be dumb to violate that to harm a third-party partner and take more financial hits on top of it. Minecraft and Hellblade are more about not upsetting the money flow for games that already exist elsewhere, though I don't think I've seen anything about Rocket League being pulled from all platforms either. Their new games aren't exactly going to release on

I don't know what this Try Again stuff is about. I'm asking a question since I was confused as to what was so bad about this acquisition compared to any other where people actively encourage it for other publishers and platform holders. Feel free to knock that crap off.

Thanks. Is there really no benefit to Psyonix in this? I was hoping it would lead to some better UE tech help to hopefully get them to the point where they can have a cross-platform account system for items to be available anywhere you own the game and maybe some better financial support for RLCS since that's the best of the dev-run eSports leagues that I've seen.
I edited the try again out of my post.

Nobody is upset at Epic for whatever future games Psyonix makes, people are upset because they're planing to delist Rocket League from Steam. Again: No company has ever done that.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Reads like anecdote.
Dude, "anecdotal evidence" may be a valid defense when you're talking about what your cousin Pedro told you, but you're supposedly talking about a generalised sentiment in this same forum you're posting in, and if you weren't making it up, you'd be able to, again, link one post that validates what you're saying. But you keep saying that it's what you have somehow "seen" and that's it. 🤔

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you are lying, quite honestly. Either that or you are selectively interpreting people's words to fit some idea you have in your head. For example, someone saying they do not want to download another game launcher is absolutely not them saying they think only Steam should exist. That's ridiculous.
Litterally claiming people lie for having a different experience of things is pretty astounding. The quoted poster in question has added so many disclaimers about it not being a fact that it's outright disrespectful.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Litterally claiming people lie for having a different experience of things is pretty astounding. The quoted poster in question has added so many disclaimers about it not being a fact that it's outright disrespectful.

I think the "different experience" part is made up. Or, like I elaborated in my post, he's choosing to interpret comments like "I don't want to use anything other than Steam" and "I don't want to download another launcher" as meaning "only Steam should exist," which is the line he chose to open up with, sans any disclaimers about anecdotes or interpretations or whatever, in the post for which he is being called out.

This is the bullshit line in question: "The most common reasoning I see is that people don't want to use EGS and they only want Steam to exist."

Doubt.

Those opinions, although perfectly valid, are absolutely not in the majority on places like Era. If he's reading the threads here, too, then he would have to be encountering that view in an overwhelming amount for them to represent the "most common reasoning" in his world.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
But how can he have a different experience in the same forum? He claims there's a generalised sentiment in Era that only Steam should exist. Nobody else agrees, and he is unable to back this claim up in any capacity. Am I meant to believe that he lives in a pararell universe and that the version of Era that he reads is different than the one I read?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But how can he have a different experience in the same forum? He claims there's a generalised sentiment in Era that only Steam should exist. Nobody else agrees, and he is unable to back this claim up in any capacity. Am I meant to believe that he lives in a pararell universe and that the version of Era that he reads is different than the one I read?

Nah, you don't get it. He's a cool guy with a life outside of this forum (implying that you aren't, I assume) and his observations come from interactions in his super exciting social life where he apparently talks with people about Steam vs EGS, so he can't back them up, but trust him, they are the most common and thus also must apply to discussions online!

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We all browse forums differently and in smaller or higher frequencies, or a lot one day and nothing the next. It's hard for any user to comment what another user gets his anecdotal evidence from.

Personally I agree with you that Steam being the only client desireable is something that does not get brought up a lot. I'm sure many were happy with the status quo before EGS but that's another thing entirely. Thus my views of the poster's future postings will be affected and maybe I'll remember this when I am to value what he says regarding this topic. Going so far as to call him a lier is a big thing though, espescially when he's arguing in the personal observation way that he does.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all browse forums differently and in smaller or higher frequencies, or a lot one day and nothing the next. It's hard for any user to comment what another user gets his anecdotal evidence from.

Personally I agree with you that Steam being the only client desireable is something that does not get brought up a lot. I'm sure many were happy with the status quo before EGS but that's another thing entirely. Thus my views of the poster's future postings will be affected and maybe I'll remember this when I am to value what he says regarding this topic.

EGS didn't change the status quo in regards to launchers. That's just patently false. A lot of us PC gamers have GOG, Origin, Uplay, BNet, and others installed alongside Steam. It changed the status quo in regards to removing customer choice with third-party PC gamers by moneyhatting them.

Also, don't you think a guy who went out of his way to get a vERAfied tag as a "journalist" should be held to somewhat of a higher standard when throwing out factual statements (although later backtracked to the point of meaning absolutely nothing) than a random shitposter posting drive-by oneliners that mis-characterize and generalize about people's opinions?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EGS didn't change the status quo in regards to launchers. That's just patently false. A lot of us PC gamers have GOG, Origin, Uplay, BNet, and others installed alongside Steam. It changed the status quo in regards to removing customer choice with third-party PC gamers by moneyhatting them.

Also, don't you think a guy who went out of his way to get a vERAfied tag as a "journalist" should be held to somewhat of a higher standard when throwing out factual statements (although later backtracked to the point of meaning absolutely nothing) than a random shitposter posting drive-by oneliners that mis-characterize and generalize about people's opinions?
1) I mean that's what I meant with status quo, nothing else.

2) I think my whole point is he's not making a factual statement and he's been pretty clear it's just a personal observation. I agree it's not something I agree with and I doubt many here will.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
In the short term, nothing will change. The acquisition itself is not finalized until late July or something, so at best if there are any benefits that's when they can begin to appear. Long term though, nothing is certain. Generally you would expect that at least for PR purposes, Epic will not mistreat Psyonix so that they can be a frontrunner for future acquisitions or further exclusive deals. That is unless the game itself tanks hard at their store, bringing in nothing of value. Basically, if people decide that they're good with RL on Steam, and don't need whatever extras are brought exclusively to the Epic Store, then we might see Psyonix getting the short end of the stick. Which, I might say, would be entirely fair. Going with Epic was a purely business decision, and has purely business consequences.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) I mean that's what I meant with status quo, nothing else.

2) I think my whole point is he's not making a factual statement and he's been pretty clear it's just a personal observation. I agree it's not something I agree with and I doubt many here will.

But why would you post a personal observation in the face of pages and pages of counter-evidence? What could be one's goal in doing so other than to muddy the waters? If he truly came in with that nonsense without even bothering to read the posts in *his own thread,* I really don't see how that's not the same thing as a random drive-by shitpost.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
This thread is so far off-topic and has folks arguing over semantics and the value of anecdotes. Should prob be closed tbh.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

There's no such a thing as "gaming journalists" though. And if it were, there'd be really few of them. I could count maybe 6 to 10 people.
Writers or hobbyists maybe.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But why would you post a personal observation in the face of pages and pages of counter-evidence? What could be one's goal in doing so other than to muddy the waters? If he truly came in with that nonsense without even bothering to read the posts in *his own thread,* I really don't see how that's not the same thing as a random drive-by shitpost.

The comment that spawned this was a response to brand loyalty at the very beginning of a thread. I never envisioned people taking my personal observation as anything in the realm of factual, and it honestly surprises me that some people in this thread want to argue about how I presented it as fact and how I am lying (for what reason?) about my observation.

This thread needs to be locked. The discussions are going nowhere and are insanely off topic.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I have a life outside of these threads and of Era in general. Please don't confuse me living it with packing up and AFKing because I was "called out" for stating an opinion of mine.

In terms of being called out on my BS, I'm not sure I follow. I said the most common thing I see is people only wanting Steam to exist, which is true. ResetEra is not the only place that this conversation is happening and I most commonly see a sentiment of "I don't want to download another game launcher" and "why do they need another market place when steam exists?"

I never stated that people don't have conversations about the business practices, I never said that the protests don't exist, I said the most common one I see is that they want only Steam to exist, which is true from what I've seen. It's my anecdotal experience.

If these posts are so frequent on ResetEra could you direct us to some of them?

I've honestly not seen this mentality myself but I'd curious to find out.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread closed per OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.