• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Note: This is not System Shock 3. That was shown off last night at GDC.

The game is still a year out from release but PC Gamer got hands on with the current demo and gave their impressions of it.

I've played some of the original System Shock, but I can't speak to the minutiae of exactly how Nightdive's remake does and doesn't compare to that game. But after walking around freely in the latest build for half an hour, I can say that this feels like a Shock game in the ways that matter. I jumped straight into it, grabbing a pipe and a few supplies and exploring the spooky, mostly abandoned station with no clue where I was going. I got clues from audio logs, found security keys to access doors that were previously closed off to me, and reflexively yelped "shit" when I ran out of energy for a stun pistol I picked up along the way.

The first area's mutant enemies don't make a good first impression for combat, because their only move is "shamble forward, moan, and take a ponderous swing at you." It'd it'd be nice to see them do a little more, even if they're the game's most basic baddies. But there are around two dozen enemy types in System Shock, and one of the changes Nightdive is making from the original game is combining them in different ways to push you to change upp the weapons and abilities you're using to suit the situation.

"We love Doom 2016 and we think that's one of it's strongest aspects," Kick says of the way Bethesda's shooter mixes different enemies into single areas. "We're going to emulate that with the characters we have at our disposal."

Nightdive also released over 20 minutes of new footage of the game.

This is not final! There are missing enemies, weapons, effects, and sounds.

We've also included a few different musical themes, tell us which you like best in the comments!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018
And they did a proper source-port update for the Enhanced Edition (from the same guy behind the Turok, Blood, Doom 64, etc ports) a while back, making it play a lot nicer with modern machines and even adding integrated mod support.

There are System Shock 1 mods now.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Looks really good and better than previously + SS3 looks great too so now we only need to wait how good they endup at release.. and maybe then we can expect a similiar remake of SS2?.. please :)

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Pretty exciting to get some SS news in the last day (update on this and 3). Glad to see that this seems to be coming along well now.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This looks really cool. I bought the original System Shock on GoG but haven't checked it out yet. It's sort of intimidatingly old and I say that as someone who likes retro games a lot. idk, maybe the SuperBunnyhop video was exaggerating.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
This looks sooooo good. The music fits perfectly imo. But I wish they would work on a SS2 Remake instead :D

Phrost

Dec 8, 2018
I just wanted to mention I asked Stephen from Night Dive if he would let us keep the beta entry in our Steam libraries (I like to collect stuff like that) and he replied with "I don't see why not, we could probably keep the alpha up there as well". So I'm happy :)

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Funny how the game now looks like that demo they released a few years back, only more polished. I imagine the game would have been done by now if they just continued down that track.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I kickstarted this so I'm more than happy to see that after some missteps, progress is being made.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They've definitely done really good work since getting back on track after the project was put on hold. I wouldn't have been opposed to a total reimagining of the game/series they were working towards earlier in the project, but this looks a like a great remake none the less.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
motherfucker that's it I'm preordering on Backerkit

This looks really cool. I bought the original System Shock on GoG but haven't checked it out yet. It's sort of intimidatingly old and I say that as someone who likes retro games a lot. idk, maybe the SuperBunnyhop video was exaggerating.
Original SS1 is probably the oldest video game I've ever finished (the game's older than me), the weird and overwhelming UI is fun and manageable after a while, unless you decide to use original controls your first time around (don't). It's excellent.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
They've definitely done really good work since getting back on track after the project was put on hold. I wouldn't have been opposed to a total reimagining of the game/series they were working towards earlier in the project, but this looks a like a great remake none the less.

I was a bit disappointed as first that the level designs were going back to the original. What we saw of the reboot gave the impression of a much more "real" environment rather than a boxy 90's game. Looking at it now though I'm starting to dig it. It's more akin to running through a sci-fi server rack which is (obviously) very appropriate!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I was thinking about this again just the other day. Loved that demo/beta they put out.

The visuals are simply gorgeous.

I need System Shock 2 to get this same treatment.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched it again. This game is looking awesome.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
I'd make a new thread if I could but the System Shock pre-alpha demo is out, the whole medical level. Whilst clearly pre-alpha stuff (eg. performance is pretty bad) I REALLY enjoyed my time with the demo. It ends in 18 hours but is available longer for Kickstarter backers.

store.steampowered.com

Save 55% on System Shock on Steam

A first-person fight to the death in the depths of space!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'd make a new thread if I could but the System Shock pre-alpha demo is out, the whole medical level. Whilst clearly pre-alpha stuff (eg. performance is pretty bad) I REALLY enjoyed my time with the demo. It ends in 18 hours but is available longer for Kickstarter backers.

store.steampowered.com

Save 55% on System Shock on Steam

A first-person fight to the death in the depths of space!

They also just pushed a performance hotfix for the demo as well.