• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft has teamed up with digital distribution firm Genba Digital to change its method of selling PC games through third-party stores like Fanatical and Games Republic. The new process is called 'silent key activation' and activates games on platforms like Steam and Uplay automatically rather than giving out codes to retailers and customers. From now on, Ubisoft will only sell games through sites that use SKA.

Instead of giving a retailer a massive list of keys that could theoretically be pinched or resold, no keys actually pass hands. Genba, which also won't have direct access to the keys, sets up a keybank that will distribute keys one-by-one, with each of them being recorded before the next one is sent out, and then the game will be activated on the customer's account.

"If someone goes on a website like Fanatical and buys a Ubisoft product, it will take them through the checkout process, then ask you to enter your UPlay account—if you don't have one, it asks you to set one up," Genba CEO Matt Murphy told GamesIndustry.biz. "The game is then automatically activated in UPlay. Fanatical doesn't get a key, and neither does the player. They just log into UPlay and the game is there, as if they bought it from the UPlay Store."

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-is-trying-to-wipe-out-key-reselling-with-silent-key-activation

I remember when Steam did this and how big backslash was when Humble Bundle removed keys. They then backtracked after a year i think when Valve discontinued option to do it that way.

But this also opens up question of gifting for example.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The gaming industry leading the way on anti-consumer practices. 2019 has been absolute garbage for it so far.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this process already, buying from official retailers.

You login with your Ubi account, and it activates your game automatically for you, you don't even see a key or anything.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who prefer this over having to input a key in the client? When I buy a game, just let me activate it with a press of a button.

And they still have keys for some games, I bought 3 copies of R6 Siege from GMG a few weeks ago and they gave me keys.
f9bT3PN.png

Remember everyone - with digital, you never really own anything.

What does this have to do with the issue?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Stuff like this makes me saddo, I was buying a gift for someone last night and it was a uPlay thing. I figured I'd get a key, and was met with a Login to uPlay option instead.

like WAT

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who could have imagined Ubisoft would try something like this?

I'm absolutely stunned and shocked.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see how is this a bad thing? Genuinely asking from ignorance, since all I see about key resellers on social media and devs about it is that is as bad as second hand purchases because game creators don't get any/as much money.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I fail to see how is this a bad thing? Genuinely asking from ignorance, since all I see about key resellers on social media and devs about it is that is as bad as second hand purchases because game creators don't get any/as much money.

You can't by key and send it to friend for his b-day for example.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And the second hand market on consoles with physical discs means consumers can buy off strangers? Or even just straight up borrow a disc from a friend.

I'm currently playing through my mates copy of Sekiro because I wasn't sure I'd like it. Who's mad at me? I doubt I'll give FS any money for it directly now. But guess what? I own every Souls game and spent money on the special editions. Swings and roundabouts, FS made money off my salary.

It is what it is, stop eroding things that work well for consumers.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the big problem is that CD keys cannot be bought from grey market retailers, now they have to have a deal with Ubisoft to integrate their activation service in their website.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
define game creators.

Publishers want a bigger share, that's all there is to it. Key reselling is way at the bottom when it comes to problems affecting developers today.

Oct 26, 2017
It's reckoning time people. The entire key reseller business (with the huge grey part it has) was a bit the same as everyone using Steam on the pc platform, it was something that it was never going to be forever. Welcome back to the new normal.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I recently bought the bridge crew DLC, for Oculus. Instead of activating the code on the Oculus launcher, I had to activate it in Uplay. But when launching the game the DLC wasn't there, so I looked in the library and there was a download button next to the DLC, I click on that but it gives me a error saying I'm not connected to the internet.
I e-mail Ubsoft and after 5 days! they finally get back to me linking there FAQ (all though in the e-mail I told them i'd already tried every thing in there FAQ)

I figured it out myself though, turns out I had to put the code into the Uplay launcher, then click on the "show CD key" in my Uplay library which gives you a totally different key which you then have to put into the Oculus launcher, then you have to restart the Oculus launcher to get the DLC to download.
Simples.

So I'm sure that this new method wont be confusing at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Steam still has the option to directly activate games without a key. AMD used it for their Resident Evil 2/DMCV GPU promo.

Humble likely just stopped using it.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Ubisoft are trying to push people to purchase straight from Uplay when next to nobody currently does. It's as simple as that.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Stuff like this makes me saddo, I was buying a gift for someone last night and it was a uPlay thing. I figured I'd get a key, and was met with a Login to uPlay option instead.

like WAT

This is one of the bigger issues I have with this. It makes gifting digital stuff such a pain in a lot of cases and it's not the same to go "here's a gift card please use on this game"

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so that's why Humble Bundle changed the automated method? I had no idea it was mandated by Valve and then there was backlash.

I don't think I mind it, honestly. Shouldn't affect legitimate resellers. Unless this costs more to the stores, or something like that, then it would be crap.

EDIT: Assuming it works like Humble did. I could still gift Steam games just fine by clicking the "gift" option and it would generate a link I could send a friend. That's perfectly fine.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the gifting thing will be a pretty easy fix. Wouldn't it just be a matter of, instead of sending them a key, you just input their email and the activation instructions are sent to them instead? I can't imagine gifting is now an insurmountable obstacle.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
You can't by key and send it to friend for his b-day for example.
I wonder, too. I guess it's that you can't buy a key for someone else anymore; you can't resell it, you can't give it away, which is something some people might want. I think.
So, they need to implement a working gifting system, got it.

And the second hand market on consoles with physical discs means consumers can buy off strangers? Or even just straight up borrow a disc from a friend.

I'm currently playing through my mates copy of Sekiro because I wasn't sure I'd like it. Who's mad at me? I doubt I'll give FS any money for it directly now. But guess what? I own every Souls game and spent money on the special editions. Swings and roundabouts, FS made money off my salary.

It is what it is, stop eroding things that work well for consumers.
I get that you already spent money on said publisher/devs but in this economy I don't think they mind that too much, as they want your new, actual money, but is ok, I get where you're coming from.
define game creators.

Publishers want a bigger share, that's all there is to it. Key reselling is way at the bottom when it comes to problems affecting developers today.
Makes sense. Is an issue that could affect small independent studios, but, as we know by now, big companies need all the money on the planet or it is never enough.

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Killing competition is good for competition.

Fanatical isn't G2A. What the fuck?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was this already in effect for my GMG 15%-off preorder of Anno 1800? I was wondering why I didn't just get a key I could copy/paste into Uplay - instead it was an activation link that showed an error even though it actually did work.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, so that's why Humble Bundle changed the automated method? I had no idea it was mandated by Valve and then there was backlash.

I don't think I mind it, honestly. Shouldn't affect legitimate resellers. Unless this costs more to the stores, or something like that, then it would be crap.

EDIT: Assuming it works like Humble did. I could still gift Steam games just fine by clicking the "gift" option and it would generate a link I could send a friend. That's perfectly fine.

I maybe remember things wrong but i think that there was backslash.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
So are Ubisoft getting shot of physical copies as well then, as I don't see how you can remove keys from that part of the equation? If not, I don't really see grey market sellers/resellers going anywhere.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I sort of get why they're doing this. One just needs to look at the Buy/Sell/Trade thread to see a flood of keys every time a Humble Monthly Bundle releases that likely devalues that game on other storefronts. But it will definitely have an impact on the cost competition of Ubi Soft PC games.

This combined with the move to Epic Games Store feels like Ubi Soft is trying to prevent the devaluation of their games through key reselling and use of gray market sites.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't mandated by Valve. It was something Humble Bundle wanted to do themselves (to prevent resellers).
I don't think most sites have gift ability like Humble Bundle.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Am I the only one who prefer this over having to input a key in the client? When I buy a game, just let me activate it with a press of a button.
I'd like the option yes, but I wouldn't want it to be the default for lots of reasons. It would save me a lot of time in bundle redemption, but I wouldn't want to lose the ease of giving away keys.