• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your next component upgrade?

• CPU

Votes: 67 13.9%
  • GPU

Votes: 173 35.9%
  • SSD

Votes: 57 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • None for now - waiting a year or two

Votes: 172 35.7%
  • None at all - getting a next-gen console instead

Votes: 39 8.1%
  • Upgrading entire PC

Votes: 86 17.8%

• Total voters

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That's how weak the jaquar cpus were in Xbox On and PS4, but both the the XSX and PS5 are basically going to have Ryzen 3700x cpus in them this time around so the baseline is going to be much higher. Going to be interesting to see how year 1 games perform.
while I hope you are right the way i see it is that games that launch in year and and most of year 2 will probable be still releasing in older versions of the hardware. I doubt that when the next gen starts all new games are just for the new hardware.
I think you could be right in 3-4 years but in a year or 2 is till think that a 4 core CPU can still run the game.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Combined with my 1440p gsync monitor, my 1070 is still doing great. Holding off until it starts to struggle.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I m using a 1080ti with 16giga of ram and a ryzen 1600x. Since i m playing on a samsung TV with 1440p 120hz in mind, it's going to be the cpu next year with a ryzen 4XXX, and i still don't have a good nvme ssd ( but i got three normal ssd). I think for the gpu i m going to wait to see if the 1080ti can last a little with this resolution with a next gen "quality" ( therefore i m going to change it haha)

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I'm worried that even a 9900K isn't going to cut it for 100fps+ with next gen games. Thing is, I expect it will be a few years before something gets made that can do that, and will be needed for that, and I could do with an upgrade now.

So it's a tossup between waiting a year or two in the hope of a revolutionary CPU, or getting some med-high range AMD CPU now as a stop-gap.

Everything needs an upgrade, systems from 2014 (980Ti - after a few RMAs, 4770 at 4.2). It's been absolutely fine for the games I play (high fps multiplayer titles at 1080p) but this year it's starting to not be enough for me.

I also really want something that will perform well in RPCS3 so I can run Wipeout HD at 144fps+.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm worried that even a 9900K isn't going to cut it for 100fps+ with next gen games. Thing is, I expect it will be a few years before something gets made that can do that, and will be needed for that, and I could do with an upgrade now.

So it's a tossup between waiting a year or two in the hope of a revolutionary CPU, or getting some med-high range AMD CPU now as a stop-gap.

Everything needs an upgrade, systems from 2014 (980Ti - after a few RMAs, 4770 at 4.2). It's been absolutely fine for the games I play (high fps multiplayer titles at 1080p) but this year it's starting to not be enough for me.

I also really want something that will perform well in RPCS3 so I can run Wipeout HD at 144fps+.
A 9900k should be more than fine for the next couple years. Especially if you game at higher resolutions since they are GPU bound anyways. Overclock that sucker to 5ghz if you game at 1080p

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think devs are just going to develop with console hardware in mind? There is a big range of gaming PC's and I'd imagine devs will try to optimize their games to work well across all hardware. I don't get the fuss. Good developers will do a good job. I was watching a video earlier of DOOM Eternal playing on a $250 PC. 1080p 60 fps.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for that 4900x and a 3080ti, I'll get a decent mobo with some new RAM, so aside from the SSD (I bought an NVMe drive recently) I guess I'm building a new PC.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Currently have overclocked 6600K @ 4.5Ghz, overclocked 1070, 16GB of DDR4 at 3200Mhz and NVMe SSD.

I think I will get PS5 first and wait maybe a year or more and then get new MB, CPU and GPU.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on an i7 4th gen processor and DDR3 RAM, so i'll need a new motherboard anyway for new stuff. Probably just getting a new pre-built.

Guessing i will spend around 2000$ total not counting monitor some time during the next year or two.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Il get a whole new PC in 2021. Parts of my current PC are 10yrs old! I think it is time.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe ssd nmve, the soonest. Since 860 Evo might not cut it. 2080ti and i9 9900k should last me a bit until 3080ti maybe

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Will eventually get a whole new pc, as I can't upgrade cpu without needing a new mobo and ram, and if I'm going to get those new, i might as well replace my 970 as well and just keep the drives and other peripherals

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i7 4790k, 16 gigs of ram, and a 2070 Super. I'm going to wait until some good processor improvements, as I'm still getting great framerates on pretty much everything.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite anxious to get a new GPU and upgrade from my current GTX 1070 as it's not giving me the performance I want in games.
Since I'm stuck indoors at the moment I've been eyeing up RTX cards (and VR headsets), but am trying to hold off until the 30-series is here.
(related: the prices those Cyberpunk 2077 RTX 2080 Tis are going for on eBay is ridiculous)

I'm quite torn over what to do about hardware for next gen. I did a new system build about three years ago with:
  • Ryzen 1700X
  • 32GB 2933MT/s ECC RAM
  • 8GB GTX 1070
  • 1TB 960 Evo NVMe
This has been great for non-game performance; video editing etc. A clear upgrade over my i5-2500K system.
And it's been a solid performer in some games. The 1700X nearly doubled my frame rate in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. In the most stressful area of the game it was dropping to 50 FPS on the 2500K and is at 92 FPS with the 1700X.
But most games have not benefited nearly that much - including some of the games I specifically built this system for, like Dishonored 2, and some games have performed badly; e.g. Vampyr which was heavily bottlenecked by the CPU.
I'm thinking I could probably have held out with my 2500K a bit longer if I had only upgraded the GPU. Only 3-4 years before a completely new build is a lot shorter than usual for me.

I'm not sure whether I want to keep the existing hardware and upgrade the CPU to Zen 3 later this year, or wait to do a new build on a new platform and consider a switch back to Intel.
If it were not for AMD chasing higher prices with their new CPUs, upgrading would have been the clear option.
But instead of offering twice as many cores as the competition for the same price, as was the case with my 1700X (8c16t for the price of 4c4t from Intel), they've gone down the path of charging more for more cores now that they're more competitive.
I probably will end up upgrading the CPU this year, to hold me over until DDR5 and PCIe 5 are here.

I'm really wanting something faster than an NVMe SSD for next-gen.
The 960 Evo is honestly a very minor upgrade over SATA SSDs except for large sequential file reads/writes (mainly copying files between SSDs).
I'm hoping that Optane prices will come down significantly with second generation drives, because those seem like the real upgrade path from SATA SSDs - especially Optane DIMMs.

I'm also curious to see how things shake out with file compression. It's possible that AMD will have something on-chip for file compression with the new Zen 3 platform.
It's unlikely, but if Microsoft were to do something like release a PCIe card with their decompression hardware and an M.2 slot, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. No matter how fast your SSD is, compression can make it faster.

There's a lot of extra hardware in next-gen consoles that make me wonder how things will compare to high-end PCs once it's actually being used by games. Brute-force with faster hardware is not always the best approach.

My system pauses at boot for Ram training for 20-30 seconds (based on my research to this point) which wasn't the case in the first year or so I had it. Other than that, I've been pretty happy with my system.
Memory training is not something that should be happening every time you boot the system.
That sounds more like it's an unstable memory overclock which is having to retry several times before it POSTs.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
I've had the following new parts arrive this week:

Fractal Design Define 7 case
AMD Ryzen 3700X (switching from a 6700K)
16GB Corsair 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
MSI X570 motherboard
MSI RTX 2070 Super
Noctua Chromax NH-D15

Will be using my 1000W PSU, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO and the rest of my hard drive storage from my current build.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
GPU. Seems like what's coming next will be a decent bump.

My 9900K and 32 GB of RAM feel like more than enough for a few more years.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
None for a while. I have a i7 7700k, 2070 super, and 32 GB ram, my games are installed on a spinning disk drive. It will be good enough for a while, and if I have to turn down settings a bit I don't care.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to the tail end of 2021 / beginning of 2022 to upgrade. That's when I feel next gen will actually start. You'll have NVDA with their Hopper Multi Chip Module GPUs (final nail in the coffin for consumer SLI/NVLINK), DDR5 will be consumer ready, PCIe 5.0 could already be a thing (not really counting on this), new SSD controllers with insane speeds (Q32020 will have SSDs capable of 7.2GBps read/5.3GBps write).

I would not bank on that. I fully expect them to do a 30xx Super series next year just to give them a year more on the same architecture and node. At this rate 3080 Ti is not released this year either but pushed to start of next year. The other stuff might happen but PCIe 5 will most likely be pretty useless for gamers and the same for DDR5.

I want to go small form factor for my next build. Just don't see any point in having a big midtower anymore when I don't have much in it that requires a ton of space. Wish I had gotten into this before I bought my current one.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have a GTX 1080, I am thinking of upgrading to a 3000 series card. My goal is to always get as close to 144fps as possible, but I may be running into a CPU bottleneck (8600k @ 4.8GHz) as CPU plays a big part in 144Hz gaming from what I've read.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not bank on that. I fully expect them to do a 30xx Super series next year just to give them a year more on the same architecture and node. At this rate 3080 Ti is not released this year either but pushed to start of next year. The other stuff might happen but PCIe 5 will most likely be pretty useless for gamers and the same for DDR5.

I want to go small form factor for my next build. Just don't see any point in having a big midtower anymore when I don't have much in it that requires a ton of space. Wish I had gotten into this before I bought my current one.

I think we should have Hopper/4000 series by 2022

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might look into replacing my RTX 2080 if an RTX 3000 series is unveiled, but for now I believe I'm all set.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This generation, after a lifetime of building my own desktop PCs, I finally decided to delve into gaming laptops and so far it's been an incredibly pleasing experience. It's just like the PCs I used to build, except a little bit weaker but I can take them anywhere. It's almost like magic to be honest. For now, I'm using an RTX 2070 laptop I had to buy last summer as my original GTX 1070 laptop unfortunately bit the dust. I intended to hold out with the GTX 1070 laptop until new gen consoles hit and then buy a new PC almost immediately after they hit.

Since I just got new hardware recently though, I'm waiting until at least late 2021 to buy something new, about 1 year after next gen hits. And since I'm currently using laptops, it's gonna be an entire new computer no matter what.

The question is, will it be another laptop or will I finally build another desktop after 6 freaking years? I domiss the extreme GPU/CPU clocks, the much better handling of thermals, the modularity... But the portability is SO good too!

TL;DR, waiting at least a year, and getting a whole new machine.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Technically I ought to be fine for another one more video card generation, but playing games at 5440x1440 @ 120hz is still hard for a 2080TI. Otherwise I already have an 8700k OC'ed to 5 GHz, 3 TB of SSD storage, and 32 gigs of RAM, so no rush on those.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I still enjoy my i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz, 16GB ddr3 and R9 280X.
Playing on PS4 slim too and a 1080p/144Hz monitor.

I could get next gen console for maybe 200€, so I don't know if I will upgrade the GPU or just buying a new console. I want to keep my CPU as long as possible, maybe a RTX 3050/3060 should be enough but too expensive compared to next gen console

In fact I need a 4K TV, an Oled not to name it. So 1000€...

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
3700x/2070s here. Pretty much all of it. The gpu, cpu, ram. If it's significantly faster than what I've gonna I'm gonna get. I did not get into pc gaming just to be at parity with consoles.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just the GPU, even if it's a 2080Ti.

Already have multiple SSDs including a nvme drive. 32GB RAM. 4K HDR monitor. 9900k. GPU is really the only thing to upgrade, and even that isn't necessary, but an addiction.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I could get next gen console for maybe 200€
They definitely aren't going to be 200€.

I don't know if I will upgrade the GPU or just buying a new console. I want to keep my CPU as long as possible, maybe a RTX 3050/3060 should be enough but too expensive compared to next gen console
A 4c4t i5-2500K is not going to hold up in next-gen games once they start pushing that 8c16t Zen 2 CPU, especially if your goal is high frame rates (you mentioned a 144hz monitor).

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking my upgrade will be spread across a few months. My current rig (i7-7700k + 2080ti) has done wonders, but with the (hopeful) launch of 4k/120fps with the 3000 series, I'll take the time to do a new system build that will get games as close to this benchmark without a sacrifice in quality. Obviously that'll include a new gpu, mobo, and cpu so while I'm at it I'll take the time and upgrade from ssd to m.2 for space saving. Either way I'm excited for the new products to launch so I can get started!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm honestly not a fan of upgrading on the eve of new consoles, so I'm going to wait until next year.

Definitely upgrading the CPU and GPU. The question is do I want to stay on this socket (1151 coffee lake) or just get a new motherboard and a brand new cpu? Because I'm tempted to just get a 9900k out of convenience so I won't have to upgrade my mobo for a while, but I don't know if they'll go down in price to a reasonable level.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Built a new rig back in August with a Oced 9700k, 2070, and 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro NVMe.

Only thing I will be upgrading is that 2070 to probably a 3070/3080 depending on price, but that wont be for another year...

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Probably nothing this year.

Will likely get a 3080Ti whenever that comes out, primarily because it'll likely support HDMI 2.1. CPU I'm probably just going to hold on to until a 2700x is too slow for my liking, should be some good options in 2022 or 2023.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing. I already have a 3700x CPU and a 2080 GPU with multiple TB of SSD storage, half being nvme drives. Unless the upcoming stuff from Nvidia is an impressive jump over the current stuff I have no big upgrades planned.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a Ryzen 3700x to replace my 1600, mainly because prices are still reasonably close to all-time lows and the Canadian dollar is taking a beating thanks to COVID-19 so who knows what prices will be when the next generation of CPUs come, or when that'll even be. Also made sense given that this is the last generation of CPUs my B350 motherboard is slated to support (and even then, I'm pretty sure the motherboard will be a bit of a bottleneck now). Next obvious replacement part is RAM (I'm running 16GB DDR4-3200 and would like to move up to 32GB and maybe faster clocks), and potentially motherboard if it turns out to be a major problem, but it doesn't seem like it will be. If that's the case, I might save the mobo/RAM upgrade for the next time I buy a CPU instead, though it's hard to say if 16GB will be viable for another three-year cycle.

GPU is probably the furthest down the line, despite the fact that my GTX 1080 is one of the oldest parts in my system. There just hasn't been anything that's represented a major improvement at anything close to what I bought the 1080 for, which was itself the most expensive graphics card I've ever bought by a sizable margin. Plus my monitors are only 1080p and I'm pretty happy with them. I could definitely use the extra oomph for VR games in the future, but aside from weird glitches Half-Life Alyx plays fine and looks good even at low fidelity.

Oct 30, 2017
literally everything.

i have an i5 6600K, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR3, and 7200rpm HDDs, which i put together in may 2016. i don't think any part of this system will give me a good next-gen experience even though it runs everything out there today great. with intel motherboard compatibility being what it is, i'm just going to have to start from scratch.

i could live with the 1080 i guess since i play at 1440p, but i'm going to want ray tracing and it makes more sense to time a rebuild for whenever the 3080 is here.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was going to build a 3900x machine before Doom and HL: Alyx, but between everything going on, my own indecision and other various concerns I'm not following through with that decision. I will be ready and upgrade all of my machine from a 2500k and my GTX 1070 to a Zen 3 and whatever card nvidia releases.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have a pretty update to date rig except for the GPU which is a 1080. It still works a treat even for 4k VR so at the moment not too pressured to get one.

I might pick up at 4xxx or whatever AMD cooks up in a couple of years.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to wait but I need a new GPU. Will continue to ride out the rest of my system until I need a full rebuild.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Waiting for the RTX 3000 series. Right now my system is relatively new and still real solid, but I'd love to get some more performance.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm currently on a 7700k + 1080Ti. Will upgrade the GPU when the RTX30xx series comes around, but I'm planning on doing a completely new build in December and will be going Ryzen then.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be my entire rig. It'll be a good step up from Haswell but I'm going to wait a year or so since the gpu side should improve a lot

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded late last year (9900k/2080s/32gb ddr4) so i am already set. I will get upgrade to Ampere but will wait to see what the x80/x80ti variants offer first. I game at 1440p/165hz and have no interest in going to 4k for at least 2-3 years or when the 4k/144hz monitors are affordable.