• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I've using the Hako Violets from Input Club and they're the perfect level of tactility for me. I tried the Hako Clears and Hako Trues in a tester and they both felt too heavy.
But I'm still kinda pissed at Input Club from how shoddily the Kickstarter for the Kira keyboard was run, but at least I have it now.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon all,
Recently jumped into gaming on the PC and looking for a bit of information.

What if any services would you recommend? Such as EA Origin? Is it worth it?

And where is the best place to buy games?
My friends have mentioned GoG, HumbleBundle and Greenman Gaming in the past?

Thanks, any information would be brilliant.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Good Afternoon all,

Welcome!

Origin is probably worth it if you're interested in any of their games. They also offer a pretty nice deal with their subscription service so you could consider that as well, but outside of that there's not really any reason to use Origin over Steam at this moment.

I'd recommend having a look at isthereanydeal.com to check for the best deals on games you're looking into purchasing.

GOG is great for DRM-free games if you're into that. Humble is great for Steam-keys and DRM-free games as well, but they're dealing with Steam-keys for the most part, and it's definitely worth checking their bundles once in a while.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my EGS account was in the wrong country, I sendt mail to support to change it back to Norway, fast reply is good, but it asked me for pic of passport, mortage documents or pic of cc.

giphy.gif

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Good Afternoon all,

Welcome to the thread and PC gaming in general.

Steam would be the ubiquitous gaming client/service out there - it's where most of the games are hosted. Regular sales within the client too, especially during summer/christmas.

In terms of sheer bang for your buck, Humble Bundle would be worth looking at.
Green Man Gaming and Fanatical are great for game pre-order prices.
(As Questionable Giraffe pointed out, isthereanydeal.com is an excellent place to look at game prices in a glance.)

GOG is an alternate gaming client/service with a focus on DRM-free games - any game bought from its storefront can be downloaded, backed up and played indefinitely offline on any machine.

Some PC titles will be tied exclusively to their respective publisher storefronts/clients -
Battle.Net (Blizzard) - Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo franchises
Origin (EA) - mainly EA titles but they do carry third party games
Bethesda - Fallout, TSO (but they aren't shy on putting their games on Steam either)
uPlay (ubisoft) - Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Division, Rainbox 6 (games can be on Steam, uPlay or even the Epic Game Store... more on that shortly)
Epic Game Store (Epic) - current home to timed exclusives such as Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus (highly controversial in the way they brute forced into the PC market, etc, etc.... feel free to ask more if you really want the scoop).

Once again, welcome and hope you enjoy your stay.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Good Afternoon all,

gg.deals is a great resource for finding the best price for a game you'd be interested in.
CDKeys and Instant-gaming are 2 websites that often sell PC games for cheap. SOME games on there are region locked to EU so make sure to check a game's store page before buying.

Also get Augmented Steam extension as it really helps in showing you the cheapest price of a game+extra useful features for selling cards.

GOG sells games yes but also offers the user an installer for each game they bought. They do NOT sell steam keys btw.
Humblebundle is a legal key seller with an instore credit system (anything you buy that isn't a bundle would earn you in store credit)
GMG are key sellers thought not authorized IIRC, they're still reputable among consumers so no worries there

Humblebundle.com have Monthly bundle where you get at least 6 games for $12. You can resub and unsub from the Monthly bundle service at any time, though it does offer a few neat extra features such as the Humble Trove
https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/trove
This month's Monthly features at least AC Origin if you'd like to get it.

Uplay has AC Unity offered for free, so sign up for an account there and get it if you'd like
https://store.ubi.com/ie/assassin-s-creed--unity/56c4947a88a7e300458b45d6.html#start=1

Generally Steam and GOG are good services, with Uplay and Origin being under them. The latter 2 are fine and focus mainly on their own games being sold on PC.

Other than that, welcome aboard!
Make sure to update your graphic card drivers and be in the latest windows (and windows store!) update as possible to overcome any bizarre issues with games.

Nov 3, 2017
Joffa
Check out "Is there any deal" for any bargains on a PC game you're interested in, i believe any reseller listed there is legit: Is There Any Deal?

My regular PC games Bundle Sites are:
GOG: https://www.gog.com/
Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/
Fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/
Groupees: https://groupees.com/
Story Bundle: https://storybundle.com/
Indie Gala: https://www.indiegala.com/
Itch: https://itch.io/

EA Origin seems to be worth it if you are interested in EA Games from what i've heard people saying about it.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
After all that negativity going on recently, I'm getting good vibes from everybody hopping in to help Joffa get a more well-informed look into PC as a gaming platform.

All this in literally minutes after his post went up.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Good Afternoon all,

Welcome!

EA Origin is definitely worth it for Titanfall 2.

I use greenman gaming and GOG and Steam mostly for purchases, all offer discounts at some point on games so its worth checking around.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized you can't buy AC 3 anymore on Steam. Ubisoft wants us to buy the remastered version. Just saw a friend somehow bought this on my activity feed. I'm guessing someone had it in their inventory and he got gifted it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday my PC randomly blue-screened out of nowhere. I shrugged it off and restarted it and everything seemed fine.
Today I turn it on and my monitors kept flickering. All the icons on my desktop disappeared, it basically looked like I switched my main monitor.
When I opened the task manager the monitors kept flickering but the task manager itself didn't (also the lockscreen didn't flicker).
It took some restarts for that to stop, any idea what's going on? I didn't install any new drivers in the last couple of days unless they installed automatically.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
o0CkaAm.png

That is a weird choice. From Sigma Theory.

I can understand it (a bit) when torture is used in a game like GTA V, to shock and criticize. It is weird when it is used in a serious game.

All the icons on my desktop disappeared

This could be due to a crash of explorer.exe.

Apart from that, the flickering sounds like an issue with the RAM or the graphics card, but I don't know much about hardware.

Unrelated:

f30guti.png

Last edited:

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, on the topic of mechs.

I own 2, one with MX Reds, and one with Blue switches.

I've noticed that while I type much faster on my red board, I enjoy the experience of typing on my blue board so much more. Anyone with good knowledge of different switches here that could recommend an ideal best of both?

I know the obvious would be Browns, but I was thinking more in line with the Ergo Clears or any of the non-cherry switches that might offer something different.

Anyone here have any fast, clicky switches like those made by Kailh? Are they good? The Kailh Gold looks particularly interesting.
Kailh switches is good....at least from the keyboard youtuber I followed. It really depends on what you expect from a keyboard, really.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Yesterday my PC randomly blue-screened out of nowhere. I shrugged it off and restarted it and everything seemed fine.
Today I turn it on and my monitors kept flickering. All the icons on my desktop disappeared, it basically looked like I switched my main monitor.
When I opened the task manager the monitors kept flickering but the task manager itself didn't (also the lockscreen didn't flicker).
It took some restarts for that to stop, any idea what's going on? I didn't install any new drivers in the last couple of days unless they installed automatically.
Sounds like something's up with your GPU. Do you have an integrated GPU in your CPU, by any chance? If so you could try taking out your GPU and just booting up with your integrated GPU instead and see how things go.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That MK11 trailer was hype as fuck

Can't remember the last game trailer I enjoyed as much as that

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Good Afternoon all,

I think EA Origin Access premier is a good value if you can swing 100 dollars for a yearly sub. You get the digital deluxe version of every new and current ea release on Pc and there is a vault over 100 EA and non EA games to play. You get 10 percent off purchases too if you want to add a title permanently to your account.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have a general PC question (for daily PC users) --

has it ever been proven whether it's best to completely turn off each night (Shut Down), or use Sleep, or just keep it completely on the whole time?

what do yall do and for what reasons?

sometimes I hear that powering your PC on every day (from Shut Down) uses a bunch more power and is bad for your components, but that seems like bullshit to me but i'm no electric engineer

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

has it ever been proven whether it's best to completely turn off each night (Shut Down), or use Sleep, or just keep it completely on the whole time?

sometimes I hear that powering your PC on every day (from Shut Down) uses a bunch more power and is bad for your components, but that seems like bullshit to me but i'm no electric engineer
Most electric devices nowadays are made to be in sleep mode and are pretty much super efficient in that mode.

But I am not an electric engineer lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Depends, best in terms of what? Energy consumption, hardware wear or general functionality?

I mean, I think sleep is fine overall with no major complications, but I myself tend to just shut down completely due to issues I've had with sleep/hibernation modes in the past. Takes 5 seconds to boot anyway!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I unplug mine every time I leave my apartment, but I do it because it is a very tiny apartment, so if a sink hose implodes and I'm not here to stop the leak, at least my PC wont be ruined.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most electric devices nowadays are made to be in sleep mode and are pretty much super efficient in that mode.

But I am not an electric engineer lol.
Depends, best in terms of what? Energy consumption, hardware wear or general functionality?

I mean, I think sleep is fine overall with no major complications, but I myself tend to just shut down completely due to issues I've had due to sleep/hibernation modes in the past. Takes 5 seconds to boot anyway!
thx for the replies

good question -- I meant best from two different aspects, the first two you mentioned

Energy Efficiency and Hardware Component Wear

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

For me - If i see it say 'shut down' I shut it down. If it says 'update and shut down' I just put it to sleep because im still irrationally fearful of Windows breaking something or resetting something when it updates (maybe not irrationally).

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I shut down my PC because I live in a region with constant lightning strikes and I'd rather not risk random power surges while I'm not home or awake.

Plus 5 sec boot and shit. Bless SSDs.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I always turn mine off at night unless I'm downloading something

I shut down my PC because I live in a region with constant lightning strikes and I'd rather not risk random power surges while I'm not home or awake.

Plus 5 sec boot and shit. Bless SSDs.
Also this

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I shut my desktop computer down, because if I don't, then the lights at the back of my Internet router stay up all night, and it disturbs my sleep.

Moreover, it happened a few times years ago that my computer would wake up from hibernation during the night. I could swear I made it hibernate before going to bed, and I found it on in the morning. I don't think that I was being hacked, it might have been some scheduled Windows update, or some wake-up signal sent by the Internet router. I don't know.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I hope the definitive edition of walking dead isn't EGS exclusive. The logos show PC and EGS.

Only buying it on Steam

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, you want to turn off your PC and unplug it for energy consumption and component safety. PCs will still draw some power while plugged in, even when they're off. Unplugging also helps prevent damage from power surges, which could still affect your PC when it's off, but plugged in. Surge protectors help, but most people tend to continue using them long past their effective lifespan. Turning them off without unplugging will still save a lot of electricity, and it's certainly better than leaving it on or putting it into sleep mode.

Hard drives used to have issues with powering off and back on, but modern PC components shouldn't have any issues without being powering down and back up regularly, as long as you aren't just using the power button as a toy.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
I turn off my PC when not in use either.

Doesn't take long for SSDs to boot these days. I'm also not constantly downloading stuff or mining bitcoins so I don't really need it left on/online/sleep.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Neptunia franchise sale (weekend deal)

Also my cart right now:

5iqvnPn.png
EDIT: put image inside the spoiler tag because it was huge, changed link to IFI twitter

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Good Afternoon all,

If you don't have much of a library you're looking for bang for your buck without any specific games in mind Humble Monthly and Origin Access are both great for that.

If there's a specific game you want I usually find the best prices Green Man Gaming, Voidu, or CD Keys. Humble Store can be good as well for sales if you have a monthly subscription since you get another 10% off with it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

I just keep my PC on ALL the time, I guess it's for convenience. Being on my PC is the last thing I do before sleep (I even use it from bed) and the first thing I do in the morning is to check any messages. And I don't have bouncer for IRC. Also the last time I shut down my PC for a weekend, my power supply resigned. Never again, I learned my lesson the first time. Don't let it sleep, it might not wake up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.