• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody know how the reaction time and APM are handled? Did they put a limit on it or could they just get inhumanly fast with more training?
From the website:

Differences versus humans
OpenAI Five is given access to the same information as humans, but instantly sees data like positions, healths, and item inventories that humans have to check manually. Our method isn't fundamentally tied to observing state, but just rendering pixels from the game would require thousands of GPUs.

OpenAI Five averages around 150-170 actions per minute (and has a theoretical maximum of 450 due to observing every 4th frame). Frame-perfect timing, while possible for skilled players, is trivial for OpenAI Five. OpenAI Five has an average reaction time of 80ms, which is faster than humans.

These differences matter most in 1v1 (where our bot had a reaction time of 67ms), but the playing field is relatively equitable as we've seen humans learn from and adapt to the bot. Dozens of professionals used our 1v1 bot for trainingin the months after last year's TI. According to Blitz, the 1v1 bot has changed the way people think about 1v1s (the bot adopted a fast-paced playstyle, and everyone has now adapted to keep up).

Edit: the article is old, but i think the caps and averages havent been changed.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I have tried to play coop' (me with 4 AI) vs 5. Let us say Witch Doctor did not like my Slark plays.

ZnD90tD.png

As for the rest of the game, it is very similar to a normal public game against a high-level team, except nobody abandons: I have seen SF use his Shadow Blade to solo-push one lane deep in the opponent's territory, when we were losing, even force a tp by the enemy Axe or he would take one barrack ; the support lets me last-hit but if it notices that I will miss one, he gets it for him, which makes it look like he steals my last-hits. Overall, it is much more enjoyable than the traditional solo-queue, and not much is lost.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

Tom Giardino
@tomgvalve

Elsewhere on the public stats page is cool stuff like Hardware Survey and download stats. I only check this every few weeks but it always blows my mind. EX: we shipped *3TB* of content and updates to users in Madagascar the past 7 days. Whoa. (link: https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

3tb to Madagascar in just 7 days. Just... It's weird how there's so many places around the world that are still untapped because, well, no-one thinks of them in the slightest.

This is an average of 5.2MB/s. If individual users download an average of 1GB per week (a very conservative amount), it would only require ~3000 to reach this amount, out of a country of ~25 million people.

What exactly is there to be surprised about here?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is an average of 5.2MB/s. If individual users download an average of 1GB per week (a very conservative amount), it would only require ~3000 to reach this amount, out of a country of ~25 million people.

What exactly is there to be surprised about here?

Madagascar is sadly one of the poorest countries in the world:
https://qz.com/africa/1328407/madagascars-internet-beats-uk-and-france/

But despite what seems a technological advantage, Madagascar's high speed internet barely serves its population. Just 13% of its 25 million population has access to electricity and only 2.1% of the population has access to the internet. There are only 2.75 IP addresses per 1,000 people compared to a global average of 558 per person.

Oct 30, 2017

The point is that the traffic is in reality extremely low and you only need a tiny portion of the population to use Steam at a low download rate to account for it. Those who have internet having really good speeds makes it even less of a surprise, because it is still <1% of them using Steam at a low download rate and even less at higher rates.

If you knew nothing about Madagascar, then you wouldn't be surprised just by looking at its size. If you knew about it its economy and infrastructure, then you wouldn't be surprised.

So, why are people surprised?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
That data is really useful to gauge the size of individual. For instance now I know that for my region: 1) Indonesia is smaller than Philippines and Vietnam 2) Thailand is the biggest market by the metric of download alone. Number 2 is particularly interesting because my friend have said it before this how Thailand is an emerging market. I wonder if we'll ever see more Thai localization once more devs caught more of this.

I can absolutely see the growing acceptance of the importance of Chinese localisation broadening to other countries, like Thailand. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen for another year or so, since for all Valve's hard-work, Chinese localisation is still oft-ignored (see the EGS exclusive games which totally ignore the Chinese market).

I mean, I'm surprised because gaming continues to be a Western and Japanese industry in a lot of ways. Latin America and Southeast Asian countries are growth areas, but how often does anyone here think of the Middle East and North Africa counties, let-alone countries outside of that designation, like Madagascar?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that the traffic is in reality extremely low and you only need a tiny portion of the population to use Steam at a low download rate to account for it. Those who have internet having really good speeds makes it even less of a surprise, because it is still <1% of them using Steam at a low download rate and even less at higher rates.

If you knew nothing about Madagascar, then you wouldn't be surprised just by looking at its size. If you knew about it its economy and infrastructure, then you wouldn't be surprised.

I guess he is surprised because most of the Sub Saharan countries have even worse download volumes. He probably just looked there on satellite view and saw some green points in Madagascar for once and was surprised lol.

On other news, first music score of the Romero x Paradox Strategy game. Anyone can play it to see if we get something from it?

Subscribe to know more here:
https://www.romeroxparadox.com/

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I'm surprised because gaming continues to be a Western and Japanese industry in a lot of ways. Latin America and Southeast Asian countries are growth areas, but how often does anyone here think of the Middle East and North Africa counties, let-alone countries outside of that designation, like Madagascar?

If I may, I think that you should take this an an opportunity to expand your horizons. We here in Sub-Saharan Africa are no less interested in and passionate about gaming. Access to resources for contemporary systems remains an obstacle to many, but you'll often find a strong trade in knock-off and older generation consoles at retail stores and flea-markets, along with bootleg games. You shouldn't see these countries as 'untapped markets', but as places with already-existing communities that are doing the same things that you are: enjoying playing and talking about games.

I know you guys don't mean to, but a lot of the time the way that regions like ours are talked about on here is very alienating, as if the people living there are lesser parts of the larger gaming community, because they don't track as significant on data or to corporations, or are not even really seen as part until they are 'discovered'.

You shouldn't be surprised to find out that people are playing games on Steam in Madagascar. You should expect it there, and just about everywhere else. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find people in Antarctica using Steam.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If I may, I think that you should take this an an opportunity to expand your horizons. We here in Sub-Saharan Africa are no less interested in and passionate about gaming. Access to resources for contemporary systems remains an obstacle to many, but you'll often find a strong trade in knock-off and older generation consoles at retail stores and flea-markets, along with bootleg games. You shouldn't see these countries as 'untapped markets', but as places with already-existing communities that are doing the same things that you are: enjoying playing and talking about games.

I know you guys don't mean to, but a lot of the time the way that regions like ours are talked about on here is very alienating, as if the people living there are lesser parts of the larger gaming community, because they don't track as significant on data or to corporations, or are not even really seen as part until they are 'discovered'.

You shouldn't be surprised to find out that people are playing games on Steam in Madagascar. You should expect it there, and just about everywhere else. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find people in Antarctica using Steam.

Absolutely no offence meant, so apologies if I came across as privileged or lacking respect. I'm currently living in Malaysia, and before that I was in Jordan, and I see here (and saw there) a tremendous amount of games playing, and a healthy market in both used and new games. My surprise is that developers and publishers - whom consumers take cues from - don't often talk about gaming outside of America, Europe, Japan, and more recently China. Much has been made of how GDC is a privileged conference simply because it takes place in the US, where even struggling European devs can't get to cheaply, let-alone possibly developers in MENA. And where MENA or SEA conferences are talked-about or promoted, I see implied elitism from some. So, absolutely, we should all expect gamers in Sub-Saharan Africa, and less prominent countries. On reading your reply, and typing this out, I think you're absolutely right that the "surprise" is wrong, so once again, apologies.

Last edited:

zon

Oct 28, 2017

Well said. When it was revealed that even people in north korea were browsing neogaf I started to understand how widespread gaming is

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely no offence meant, so apologies if I came across as privileged or lacking respect. I'm currently living in Malaysia, and before that I was in Jordan, and I see here (and saw there) a tremendous amount of games playing, and a healthy market in both used and new games. My surprise is that developers and publishers - whom consumers take cues from - don't often talk about gaming outside of America, Europe, Japan, and more recently China. Much has been made of how GDC is a privileged conference simply because it takes place in the US, where even struggling European devs can't get to cheaply, let-alone developers in MENA. And where MENA or SEA conferences are talked-about or promoted, I see implied elitism from some. So, absolutely, we should all expect gamers in Sub-Saharan Africa, and less prominent countries. On reading your reply, and typing this out, I think you're absolutely right that the "surprise" is wrong, so once again, apologies.

Right, I see what you mean now. Sorry, I came on a bit strong. Part of it has been how lately that regions like ours only seem to matter for things like debates over stores, as a bullet point when it comes to regional pricing. Meanwhile, digital distribution with increasing download sizes, GAAS games that don't have regional servers, 'download code in a box' that replaces disc installs, and so on remain things we are often expected to accept as 'the reality' since they aren't that big of an issue in the first world, and also because of how there is a large contingent of people on here that view what is good for consumers through the lens of what is good for companies. So, sorry I jumped on you a bit too quick, thinking you were saying that and I can agree with what you're saying about seeing these regions as places for the market to grow as companies should care about these regions.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that old ATLUS games like Rock of Ages now has SEGA as publisher. Cool.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Right, I see what you mean now. Sorry, I came on a bit strong. Part of it has been how lately that regions like ours only seem to matter for things like debates over stores, as a bullet point when it comes to regional pricing. Meanwhile, digital distribution with increasing download sizes, GAAS games that don't have regional servers, 'download code in a box' that replaces disc installs, and so on remain things we are often expected to accept as 'the reality' since they aren't that big of an issue in the first world, and also because of how there is a large contingent of people on here that view what is good for consumers through the lens of what is good for companies. So, sorry I jumped on you a bit too quick, thinking you were saying that and I can agree with what you're saying about seeing these regions as places for the market to grow as companies should care about these regions.

Absolutely not a problem - I didn't take offence from anything you said, so no need to apologise. :) I hear you with the download sizes especially - in Jordan we were on 300gb monthly cap with about a 200k download speed average, and a personal hotspot device whose battery expanded to unsafe size due to the heat/cold of our apartment, so it genuinely disgusts me when people are like "Is streaming the way forward for the industry? Of course!". So frustrating. Even in Malaysia, we're on fibre, but it's the cheapest option (600k download) because money doesn't grow on trees man.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sorry from my side for having such a shortened-western focus version. Hope we can make gaming morecommon and popular there too by fighting those issues.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
A while back, we saw this rumor that Valve was working on their own dedicated servers that 3rd party games could be hosted on. Which would mean that cult classic MP-only games could have a relatively permanent home and could also be subject to the nostalgic glow of "replay! replay!" that single player games enjoy years after its time has came and went. (That glow, of course, works both ways and too much light makes a backlash easier.)

Is that confirmed?

It would be, to me ( a person who lives a cycle of hopelessly swooning for niche short-lived games and then sulking in their demise), the greatest update to PC gaming since whatever whatever.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A while back, we saw this rumor that Valve was working on their own dedicated servers that 3rd party games could be hosted on. Which would mean that cult classic MP-only games could have a relatively permanent home and could also be subject to the nostalgic glow of "replay! replay!" that single player games enjoy years after its time has came and went. (That glow, of course, works both ways and too much light makes a backlash easier.)

Is that confirmed?

It would be, to me ( a person who lives a cycle of hopelessly swooning for niche short-lived games and then sulking in their demise), the greatest update to PC gaming since whatever whatever.
It was not a rumor, Valve itself said it was doing that during the 2018 in review post.

https://techraptor.net/content/valv...-server-and-relay-networks-to-non-valve-games
https://scoop.market.us/steam-allows-developers-to-use-valves-network-to-increase-game-performance/
They talked about it during GDC too but I cant find more info right now.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely not a problem - I didn't take offence from anything you said, so no need to apologise. :) I hear you with the download sizes especially - in Jordan we were on 300gb monthly cap with about a 200k download speed average, and a personal hotspot device whose battery expanded to unsafe size due to the heat/cold of our apartment, so it genuinely disgusts me when people are like "Is streaming the way forward for the industry? Of course!". So frustrating. Even in Malaysia, we're on fibre, but it's the cheapest option (600k download) because money doesn't grow on trees man.

Oh man, streaming. I think I just try to forget about that debate. Yeah, I get you about pricing too. We are at 80GB cap, ~450KB/s. We could get a bigger cap or "uncapped" (you get throttled to hell after using a certain amount) for a similar price but then latency and consistency are terrible so no gaming. I'm waiting on AMD to give me my Division 2 code, and will either have to space out the download or to take my laptop to a friend's place, download, bring it back and copy it to my desktop. And this stuff is 'first world problems' compared to everything else going on here (drought, rolling blackouts probably coming back soon). I guess this is why it's nice to just play and talk about games (though I mostly just lurk, so 'read' is probably more appropriate, haha).

Yeah, sorry from my side for having such a shortened-western focus version. Hope we can make gaming morecommon and popular there too by fighting those issues.

No worries at all. I kinda agree with your explanation of what probably happened. I just think the wording in the tweet comes off more like click-bait than something like 'It shows that Steam is pretty popular in Madagascar.'

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, streaming. I think I just try to forget about that debate. Yeah, I get you about pricing too. We are at 80GB cap, ~450KB/s. We could get a bigger cap or "uncapped" (you get throttled to hell after using a certain amount) for a similar price but then latency and consistency are terrible so no gaming. I'm waiting on AMD to give me my Division 2 code, and will either have to space out the download or to take my laptop to a friend's place, download, bring it back and copy it to my desktop. And this stuff is 'first world problems' compared to everything else going on here (drought, rolling blackouts probably coming back soon). I guess this is why it's nice to just play and talk about games (though I mostly just lurk, so 'read' is probably more appropriate, haha).

No worries at all. I kinda agree with your explanation of what probably happened. I just think the wording in the tweet comes off more like click-bait than something like 'It shows that Steam is pretty popular in Madagascar.'
It is always great to have people from different regions / areas come and talk about their issues / what they think about gaming. It is very easy to end up falling in cliches and not understanding different situations, so please do not be afraid of posting :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
People crying about Unity getting positive reviews now. Proof that people will whine over anything.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are people defending the exclusive World of Goo patch.
Now you don't need to click on that thread, you're welcome
"epic funds world of goo remaster patch" just won't catch eyes in the same way, huh.

what is there to get upset by? seriously. steam has no quality standards so broken games can languish on the service indefiinitely. like, that kind of update won't happen without a reason, and epic, presumably, gave them that reason.

it's like getting upset that classic titles are on gog and not steam first. but there's never been the same hysteria and/or vitriol aimed at gog over that stuff because... gog never upset gamers by moneyhatting the big games that #gamers care about first, i guess.

the discourse around epic/egs feels deepy disingenuous at times because of doomsaying over nothing. eleventh-hour store hopping, i can understand. but this? nah

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
"epic funds world of goo remaster patch" just won't catch eyes in the same way, huh.

what is there to get upset by? seriously. steam has no quality standards so broken games can languish on the service indefiinitely. like, that kind of update won't happen without a reason, and epic, presumably, gave them that reason.

it's like getting upset that classic titles are on gog and not steam first. but there's never been the same hysteria and/or vitriol aimed at gog over that stuff because... gog never upset gamers by moneyhatting the big games that #gamers care about first, i guess.

the discourse around epic/egs feels deepy disingenuous at times because of doomsaying over nothing. eleventh-hour store hopping, i can understand. but this? nah

I think that's a bit much. You have the easy to use refund system and games of ridiculous broken quality or concepts have been removed from the store when needed.

It might not be a very high bar, but there's a bar nonetheless.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a bit much. You have the easy to use refund system and games of ridiculous broken quality or concepts have been removed from the store when needed.

It might not be a very high bar, but there's a bar nonetheless.

I would also say that some games that get broken due to OS updates but have some fixes tend to always have the solution in one of the posts in the game forum.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Spare Steam key for Deadbeat Heroes if anybody wants it...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe because GoG actually do something to make these older ports happen.

GoG provides a service, create something.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
Key point with World of Goo update- a big chunk of the update appears to just be adding existing fixes from more recent releases of the game:

"We also made a lot of improvements over the years for other platforms, like Nintendo Switch, so we brought over those improvements as well."
Those improvements include doubling the resolution of all graphics—800x600 does not look super-great on big, modern displays—with "high quality upscaling tools to start," and then tweaking by hand."

But yes, thank you Epic for paying to have them remaster the graphics.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Is that confirmed?

I assumed this was going to be a part of the Steam API. It's just one more great reason to use Steam, but if you're talking about cult classics that have already been released on Steam, I doubt it'll work without that API support built into the game. I could be wrong, but it just seems like another great value thing for devs to choose Steam.

If you could shoehorn this into any game (that didn't have the Steam API built into the game), devs could find a way to publish on Epic and just push all the hosting expenses onto Valve.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed this was going to be a part of the Steam API. It's just one more great reason to use Steam, but if you're talking about cult classics that have already been released on Steam, I doubt it'll work without that API support built into the game. I could be wrong, but it just seems like another great value thing for devs to choose Steam.

If you could shoehorn this into any game (that didn't have the Steam API built into the game), devs could find a way to publish on Epic and just push all the hosting expenses onto Valve.

I was mostly thinking about games moving forward that could become future cult classics.

But you're right on the second part. That's basically an extension of the practice of using Steam forums to promote your game that you know is already an exclusive elsewhere... super scumbag move.

That said, I would love it if it could be retrofitted to games. Had Phantom Dust released on Steam (and especially if it incorporated Steam marketplace features for buying/selling skills) the game wouldn't be dead again. And we'd have a shot at future development.

And I would be happy.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone that has played Civ VI: Gathering storm, how is the dlc? is it worth it? The base game was a bit of a let down for me and I'm not sure about the dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.