• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's reasonable to expect us to just watch 90% of the more active posters in this thread get banned and pretend as if nothing happened. The PC community here on Era has been methodically and systematically dismantled. Shouldn't we, as a community, have an official answer as to why this happened? What went wrong and the community that has consistently maintained an extremely high level of civility and discourse in every single PC-focused thread ended up with so many people banned and its main thread in disarray? Many of us are here since the beginning of the site and we have offered a lot to this community. I feel like we deserve something more than "move along, nothing to see here".

I've been a member of Era since the site was created and the only warning I've ever received was for not reading the OP in a forum theme changelog thread. I think I've proven over time that I can contribute to the discussions happening here while respecting the rules of the community, but it is important that I speak up now because I believe you still might not be sure as to what exactly happened. I accept whatever action you feel is appropriate if you think that my post is out of line.

The current situation is a result of two things. The administration's mistake in not properly defining the PC platform and the moderation's significantly late response in addressing the situation in Epic Game Store threads.

Back when Era was still newly formed, the administration made the call to define the PC platform based on hardware, essentially using a console-like approach. The decision back then was that the moderation's protection of the platform from platform wars would only cover the hardware part and not Steam. That decision failed to recognize that Steam is an integral part of the PC platform. That decision, based on a console-based understanding of what a platform is, was catastrophic because it gave trolls free reign to disrupt, derail and shut down Steam-related threads with no fear of disciplinary action, since the moderators were instructed to treat Steam and Valve as a neutral third party instead of the de facto "face" of PC gaming.

This initial decision directly led to the clusterfuck that were the Epic Game Store threads. For a very long time, for several months in fact, platform warriors and trolls wreaked havoc in those threads with zero action from the moderation team. I said it back then and I'm saying I again now, it's not the moderation team's fault. They operated based on the policy set by the administration and their hands were pretty much tied. Eventually the moderators took action and the situation improved drastically but the damage was already done.

It was that initial mistake and months of continued inaction by the moderation that led many people of this community to their breaking point. We've been under constant pressure for many months and the administration and moderation failed to act in time. These are the results.

My recommendation as a part of this community is to find some more moderators that closely follow PC gaming so that they can get ahead of situations such as this and extend the platform protection to Steam until such a time that another service takes its place. The entirety of the PC community in Ear did not turn into assholes overnight. You're doing something wrong.

Well said.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Thinking about the situation, in order to not lose more members and not brake the rules, can we, maybe, make PC thread private? I know that it doesn't sound good, but I can't think about any other way to keep the thread healthy.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I don't know if it's reasonable to expect us to just watch 90% of the more active posters in this thread get banned and pretend as if nothing happened. The PC community here on Era has been methodically and systematically dismantled. Shouldn't we, as a community, have an official answer as to why this happened? What went wrong and the community that has consistently maintained an extremely high level of civility and discourse in every single PC-focused thread ended up with so many people banned and its main thread in disarray? Many of us are here since the beginning of the site and we have offered a lot to this community. I feel like we deserve something more than "move along, nothing to see here".

I've been a member of Era since the site was created and the only warning I've ever received was for not reading the OP in a forum theme changelog thread. I think I've proven over time that I can contribute to the discussions happening here while respecting the rules of the community, but it is important that I speak up now because I believe you still might not be sure as to what exactly happened. I accept whatever action you feel is appropriate if you think that my post is out of line.

The current situation is a result of two things. The administration's mistake in not properly defining the PC platform and the moderation's significantly late response in addressing the situation in Epic Game Store threads.

Back when Era was still newly formed, the administration made the call to define the PC platform based on hardware, essentially using a console-like approach. The decision back then was that the moderation's protection of the platform from platform wars would only cover the hardware part and not Steam. That decision failed to recognize that Steam is an integral part of the PC platform. That decision, based on a console-based understanding of what a platform is, was catastrophic because it gave trolls free reign to disrupt, derail and shut down Steam-related threads with no fear of disciplinary action, since the moderators were instructed to treat Steam and Valve as a neutral third party instead of the de facto "face" of PC gaming.

This initial decision directly led to the clusterfuck that were the Epic Game Store threads. For a very long time, for several months in fact, platform warriors and trolls wreaked havoc in those threads with zero action from the moderation team. I said it back then and I'm saying I again now, it's not the moderation team's fault. They operated based on the policy set by the administration and their hands were pretty much tied. Eventually the moderators took action and the situation improved drastically but the damage was already done.

It was that initial mistake and months of continued inaction by the moderation that led many people of this community to their breaking point. We've been under constant pressure for many months and the administration and moderation failed to act in time. These are the results.

My recommendation as a part of this community is to find some more moderators that closely follow PC gaming so that they can get ahead of situations such as this and extend the platform protection to Steam until such a time that another service takes its place. The entirety of the PC community on Era did not turn into assholes overnight. You're doing something wrong.

Thank you.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

My recommendation as a part of this community is to find some more moderators that closely follow PC gaming so that they can get ahead of situations such as this and extend the platform protection to Steam until such a time that another service takes its place. The entirety of the PC community on Era did not turn into assholes overnight. You're doing something wrong.

Excellent response.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Thinking about the situation, in order to not lose more members and not brake the rules, can we, maybe, make PC thread private? I know that it doesn't sound good, but I can't think about any other way to keep the thread healthy.
If I'm getting this right, the problem is not with the PC thread, like this one, as the conversation is always pretty civil and most users know each other. The issue is when a discussion related to Steam / EGS or whatever else related to PC happens out of here, then folks here are feeling targeted.

To be honest, I have seen people going pretty aggressive in EGS related threads when talking against Steam, especially when they are pointed to be wrong, but get a free pass, a thing that people here wouldn't get.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm juggling way too many games at the moment.

-Borderlands 2 (meh.)
-Destiny 2 (nice.)
-Assassins Creed Odyssey (trying to at least knock out the main story in time for Fate of Atlantis.)
-Diablo 3 (Just finished a playthrough. The game feels way too streamlined, almost like an auto-runner.)

Just finished up a review for YumeCore. Considering that the site I write for publishes one of my reviews a week, I doubt I'll see the Yumecore write-up posted until sometime next month.

Still have six more reviews to cover, and I expect that number to grow in the next few weeks.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting this many crossed names when I opened this thread. And JaseC is gone too...

By the time the EGS exclusivity is over there will be no one to talk to lol.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This feels like a fanboy whine from Randy. "Why don't Valve invest in the store? I don't use the Steam Controller API, Proton, Cards or Cloud Saves, I just buy shit from their store! Where's my UI update Volvo?"

It also reads like a Trump tweet. :/

Protip, by invest Randy means 'invest in me', not 'invest in the store'.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well stated.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, has anyone gotten get a pop-up in the Steam client asking about verifying your email? That was odd. Been on the same email address for well over a decade.

Damn, just realised that with JaseC gone, everyone left is going to have to pick-up the slack of being the really friendly helpful know-it-all. :/

To answer your question, yeah, my wife had it about a month ago. It happens. Just Valve making sure their database is up-to-date, I guess. :)

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
If I'm getting this right, the problem is not with the PC thread, like this one, as the conversation is always pretty civil and most users know each other. The issue is when a discussion related to Steam / EGS or whatever else related to PC happens out of here, then folks here are feeling targeted.

To be honest, I have seen people going pretty aggressive in EGS related threads when talking against Steam, especially when they are pointed to be wrong, but get a free pass, a thing that people here wouldn't get.
I think administration post was directly talking about PC thread and how some Era members feel uncomfortable here because we can be a bit aggressive. This is why I think making this thread private might be the best way to retain the same level of discourse and avoid people getting offended at the same time.

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
So! What games have we been playing lately?

I went back to Dark Souls Remastered recently, and I was surprised at how well I remembered where everything was. That giant interconnected world is still impressive to this day.

I was also surprised at how trivial much of the challenge was once you learn the patterns and keep your patience. Later games were well served by forcing you to get into the face of enemies.

Baba Is You outside of the multiplayer mess I'm always sucked back into. It's rare I've been stumped in a puzzle game, especially environment based ones, but they've combined movement + logic so stupidly well that I'm lost.

Kind soul threw me a copy of The Turing Test, so that's next for me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, just realised that with JaseC gone, everyone left is going to have to pick-up the slack of being the really friendly helpful know-it-all. :/

To answer your question, yeah, my wife had it about a month ago. It happens. Just Valve making sure their database is up-to-date, I guess. :)

Thanks for that. Was wracking my brain trying to think of a reason I got that message and couldn't come up with anything.

And yeah, it's a damn shame about JaseC. Hope they get some well-deserved peace and quiet.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Time to discover how a quad core from 13 years ago fairs nowadays. One thing that I never missed was low-end gaming, urgh.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I was never really on-board with some of the tone here, and I definitely get Jawmuncher's post. I never posted much, but I became more disencourajed to post here after all that because of those reasons. That is just to say I'm not a very present, vocal or active part of here and I have been a little disappointed.

That said, all those bans seems like just throwing up their hands up and giving up on actually solving this. What will those permabans actually accomplish? It's not helping, it's killing the community and I don't think the moderation team realize you also have some responsability in making things better and that there was a reason for all that. All of that just makes me sad, really, as someone that lurks more than posts and is just watching it all unfold.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
More of a lurker than anything, but it's sad to see so many PC regular posters banned or left. Really makes me wonder if I should just abandon gaming side on here. I feel like it's been a shitshow ever since EGS anyway.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
While I've been only a lurker, I think I'm done with the PC OT and PC related threads in this forum (not because of the PC community), I'm probably only gonna follow the PC related stuff on MC from now on.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just heard about JaseC and just wanted to say that I'll miss him, Saoirse won't be the same.

I rarely post in these threads but I like to lurk.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

Very well said.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn, didnt know the exact details on whats going on , still reading some of the pages of what happened last few hours.

Such a shame, this is the only community thread I vist....guess that will be the end of that....

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
As prominent members of the community leave or get banned (some of them permanently), it's just not the same.
Plus I'm tired of EGS related discussions (and EGS itself), and I can't help but feel that some members of the staff (not the ones that post here) resent the PC community (not only because of recent events, but ever since the whole Steam is not a platform thing).

Still gonna lurk these forums I guess, but mostly only game specific topics.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As prominent members of the community leave or get banned (some of them permanently), it's just not the same.
Plus I'm tired of EGS related discussions (and EGS itself), and I can't help but feel that some members of the staff (not the ones that post here) resent the PC community (not only because of recent events, but ever since the whole Steam is not a platform thing).

Still gonna lurk these forums I guess, but mostly only game specific topics.
I've been lurking a while and the bans seem warranted, but it is what it is. I hope our new community all gets along <3

DocDeltree

Jan 4, 2018
I'm definitely more of a lurker than an active poster, but I wish you all the best JaseC. I have always enjoyed your factual, helpful and pointed answers.

That being said, I really hope this community pulls through. Despite the commotion in recent times, it still feels to me like one of the few sane places on Era.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
What a depressing read this thread is this morning.

Sorry to hear JaseC is gone, his PC performance threads and general knowledge was always much appreciated. Hope you are happier off the net. I must admit I stopped reading anything Brexit/Trump related and do feel better for it.

People coping bans in here is disappointing, Bernardo being permanent is a bit much isn't it?

Back on topic - Played 20ish mins of Anno 1800 last night, I think it will be a great city/trading sim game. Looking forward to this weekend where i can put some proper time into it. Im also playing Dark Souls 3 which is fantastic.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Been waiting for Imperator:Rome. The fact that in Sweden this weekend is a long one (Friday and Monday are holidays!) but it launches next week fucks everything up.
Otherwise, I have played some shorter narrative games and watched kitty videos. Damn kitty videos are too cute.

Nice long weekend for me too, I'll probably try and finish at least one of the EU4 WC's I've got on the go, but late game EU4 is such a drag at times.

Been playing Dragon Quest XI again and it's cozy.

Also trying to squeeze in a run of Risk of Rain 2 but it's a bit hard because I didn't see a pause run function and runs take at least 40 minutes. But it's probably my favorite Roguelikelitelikelitelikelitelikelite together with Slay the Spire.

Also tried Supraland but I paused that for now.

Slowly going thru Supraland myself.

Supraland is getting a lot of positive buzz I've seen. Looks fantastic! I should try it out already.

I've been playing through Sniper Elite 4 in co-op with a friend and that has been wonderful. It's almost like a Hitman-lite set during WWII. As for something I have been playing on my own, I just picked Horizon: Zero Dawn up again after stopping just before the end of the game. I'm planning on getting through that and trying out the Frozen Wilds expansion.

Shooting Nazis will never get old. Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic, I loved the story and Aloy, I was really surprised at how good the story turned out to be, one of the best recent Sci-Fi stories tbh.

Baba Is You outside of the multiplayer mess I'm always sucked back into. It's rare I've been stumped in a puzzle game, especially environment based ones, but they've combined movement + logic so stupidly well that I'm lost.

Kind soul threw me a copy of The Turing Test, so that's next for me.

Unfortunately I wasn't that impressed by The Turing Test. The puzzles were nice but not too complex, but I guess I expected a lot more from the potentially very interesting premise.

I'm playing Ace Combat: Assault Horizon now.

Literally all I know about that game is that it has the best QTE ever.

What a depressing read this thread is this morning.

Sorry to hear JaseC is gone, his PC performance threads and general knowledge was always much appreciated. Hope you are happier off the net. I must admit I stopped reading anything Brexit/Trump related and do feel better for it.

People coping bans in here is disappointing, Bernardo being permanent is a bit much isn't it?

Back on topic - Played 20ish mins of Anno 1800 last night, I think it will be a great city/trading sim game. Looking forward to this weekend where i can put some proper time into it. Im also playing Dark Souls 3 which is fantastic.

I've never played any of the Anno games, do you reckon Anno 1800 would be a good place to start? I did enjoy a good city builder back in the day.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I've never played any of the Anno games, do you reckon Anno 1800 would be a good place to start? I did enjoy a good city builder back in the day.

Yeah, it seems like a return to form for the Anno series. Or you could go for 1404 which was my previous favorite Anno game. Probably pick that one up cheap too. 1800 looks very good but as its just released will probably need a few patches to sort out issues (as all modern games seem to need).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Why is this happening?

I'm playing Ace Combat: Assault Horizon now.
I played it months ago. Thankfully there were more jet plane stages than the other types of aircrafts. Stages can be lengthy and the OST is nice. Dog fighting mode kinda got boring despite thematically being an interesting concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.