• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Human beings actually check games for Valve. It is true.

This is the kind of novel human-driven sanity-checking service that would, perhaps, prevent clumsy developer oversights, such as deleting a bunch of required files from your release before it hits the store, y'know, those that prevent your title from launching - that sort of thing.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
It's hard for a PC community to thrive in a console-centric forum. I've seen it happen elsewhere. Most of the time is not about ill intentions from the staff, just ignorance. Consoles and PCs are fundamentally different, and I'm not talking about graphics. Things that are a common practice among one community are frown upon the other. Even people from the staff, ignoring these differences, engage in a way that is considered trolling and nothing happens, but when is the community that raises their voices, not trolling but rising the issues at hand, they are banned. In the end, the whole community is a worse place, lacking diversity and being considered extremely hostile towards a (elsewhere) huge part of the gaming community.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
DefinitiveActualCamel-size_restricted.gif

LETS FUCKING GO LARA

Game isnt that good, but this bit got me hyped lol.

It's probably the best bit of the trilogy. They actually leant into who nu-Lara is and went with it.

Also those biceps are whew mommy

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is there any way to turn off the confirmation thing or selling cards?

It makes the process take so long

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, has anyone gotten a pop-up in the Steam client asking about verifying your email? That was odd. Been on the same email address for well over a decade.
Yes, I had that happen recently. I think I alt-tabbed a game and it was there, felt weird.

I am sad that now there is no more crazy Assassin's Creed 100% people like me left here. JaseC was one of the rare ones who would suffer like me to reach that magic number.

Also I don't know how nobody noticed this Randy Pitchford Twitter thread

During the Noclip HL video I got the feeling that he has unfinished business with Valve. Maybe that's reading too much into it.
Here's the timestamp:

https://youtu.be/BQLEW1c-69c?t=2298

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been playing through bioshock infinite and I know the game gets a lot of flack post release but some of the story stuff aside the game holds up so well. It's still one of my favourite games of all time.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I had that happen recently. I think I alt-tabbed a game and it was there, felt weird.

During the Noclip HL video I got the feeling that he has unfinished business with Valve. Maybe that's reading too much into it.
Here's the timestamp: https://youtu.be/BQLEW1c-69c?t=2298

No, you're not reading too much into it. To bring up all this baggage in detail nearly 2 decades later says a lot really.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I should replay Infinite now that I have an actual rig. My first playthrough was when I first started dicking around with PC gaming on my old-ass, 8800 GT-ass rig that could barely run the game on low settings and boy was it not pretty.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Now I want to hear what Sega's bosses think about how Randy conducts business. Why this man still has any reverence is a mystery to me.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I started up Deus Ex: Human Revolution recently (I tried it back in 2011 when it first came out but never got far). I've gotten back to Jensen's home and I find this email on his computer:
20190416205704_1.jpg
Why have I never heard this discussed with regards to this game before? Screw the Human Revolution, I'm starting the dog revolution. I'm going full John Wick on everyone, no non-lethal takedowns ever. I never asked for this, and neither did poor Kubrick.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I started up Deus Ex: Human Revolution recently (I tried it back in 2011 when it first came out but never got far). I've gotten back to Jensen's home and I find this email on his computer:
20190416205704_1.jpg
Why have I never heard this discussed with regards to this game before? Screw the Human Revolution, I'm starting the dog revolution. I'm going full John Wick on everyone, no non-lethal takedowns ever. I never asked for this, and neither did poor Kubrick.

I played HR twice and I didn't remember it, seems like my mind blocked it cause it's sad :(

What's this supposed to mean?

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

I am playing mankind divided right now and its fantastic.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I've been lurking a while and the bans seem warranted, but it is what it is. I hope our new community all gets along <3

Wrong way to look at it.

The question is less about how or if the bans were justified and more along the lines of: "Why did a poster who existed for a decade or more in a Steam/PC-centric thread across multiple spaces get to that point here?"

And to see that boiling point reached by what is, to my memory, the single most rational person around who had an utterly unguarded care for his hobby and the community that surrounds it... believe me when I say that the HOW means nothing standing next to the WHY.

And, as Alexandros points out, that sorely needs addressing.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
My weird Deus Ex opinion is that Mankind Divided's main story being incomplete/insubstantial actually works in the game's favor as it shifts the focus onto the (much more interesting) side missions and city exploration stuff.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing mankind divided right now and its fantastic.

Cool, I've heard less than flattering things about MD but I'll probably get to it at some point after I'm done with HR. I played the original Deus Ex last November for part of a RPG backlog blitz after also not finishing it when it first came out, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished The Surge. It was overall a good experience and a unique little twist on the souls-formula. The gameplay and combat was great, but some negatives in not very varied environments and how gear is handled takes it from an overall great game to a good game. Well worth the time and money i got it on sale for though.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
A buddy and I are going through the co-op of Portal 2. I never played much of the co-op when it first released (8 years ago!), so it is fun to revisit that incredible game. Also been putting time into The Division 2 when I get a chance. It's really good, but I need large chunks of time to sit down and really get into it. We've got a long weekend coming up, so I'm hoping to put a lot of time into this weekend.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's reasonable to expect us to just watch 90% of the more active posters in this thread get banned and pretend as if nothing happened. The PC community here on Era has been methodically and systematically dismantled. Shouldn't we, as a community, have an official answer as to why this happened? What went wrong and the community that has consistently maintained an extremely high level of civility and discourse in every single PC-focused thread ended up with so many people banned and its main thread in disarray? Many of us are here since the beginning of the site and we have offered a lot to this community. I feel like we deserve something more than "move along, nothing to see here".

I've been a member of Era since the site was created and the only warning I've ever received was for not reading the OP in a forum theme changelog thread. I think I've proven over time that I can contribute to the discussions happening here while respecting the rules of the community, but it is important that I speak up now because I believe you still might not be sure as to what exactly happened. I accept whatever action you feel is appropriate if you think that my post is out of line.

The current situation is a result of two things. The administration's mistake in not properly defining the PC platform and the moderation's significantly late response in addressing the situation in Epic Game Store threads.

Back when Era was still newly formed, the administration made the call to define the PC platform based on hardware, essentially using a console-like approach. The decision back then was that the moderation's protection of the platform from platform wars would only cover the hardware part and not Steam. That decision failed to recognize that Steam is an integral part of the PC platform. That decision, based on a console-based understanding of what a platform is, was catastrophic because it gave trolls free reign to disrupt, derail and shut down Steam-related threads with no fear of disciplinary action, since the moderators were instructed to treat Steam and Valve as a neutral third party instead of the de facto "face" of PC gaming.

This initial decision directly led to the clusterfuck that were the Epic Game Store threads. For a very long time, for several months in fact, platform warriors and trolls wreaked havoc in those threads with zero action from the moderation team. I said it back then and I'm saying I again now, it's not the moderation team's fault. They operated based on the policy set by the administration and their hands were pretty much tied. Eventually the moderators took action and the situation improved drastically but the damage was already done.

It was that initial mistake and months of continued inaction by the moderation that led many people of this community to their breaking point. We've been under constant pressure for many months and the administration and moderation failed to act in time. These are the results.

My recommendation as a part of this community is to find some more moderators that closely follow PC gaming so that they can get ahead of situations such as this and extend the platform protection to Steam until such a time that another service takes its place. The entirety of the PC community on Era did not turn into assholes overnight. You're doing something wrong.

Great post and very well said.

It seems to me that discussing about anything PC related on this board is a no-go for me due to the hostility towards folks here who want nothing more than to discuss the ongoings of the PC landscape even if it means the controversies surrounding EGS. Plus even with push back towards EGS, members here provide facts and information on why it is so, it's just not pulled out of their asses.

I'll be at other parts of Era but unless things change to make the PC community here a bit more welcoming compared to the "you guys should be the adults and set the better example" when pretty much we have, then I'll take my PC discussion elsewhere.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I mean, outside of game OTs, I hardly post about PC gaming outside of this thread. The amount of hostility towards PC gamers on this board is ridiculous.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna stay for Endgame and GoT discussion, but outside of that, I don't know. This community was a big part of moving over here from GAF and now most people are on MetaCouncil.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's some truly liberal stuff right here, perm, perm etc.

At this rate Uzzy won't even have to make a new thread lol.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else get the "no sound" bug in Division 2? Google tells me this has been going on since beta but there is no fix? Sound just completely stops randomly and I have to exit the game to get it back. I have tried all fixes and am running no other processes in the background.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I hope it is not all just down to the last few months on gaming side.

Really sad to see it become like this after how everyone came together to build this place from the ashes of gaf. Good luck and take care, hope you come back again when things get better.

Wrong way to look at it.

The question is less about how or if the bans were justified and more along the lines of: "Why did a poster who existed for a decade or more in a Steam/PC-centric thread across multiple spaces get to that point here?"

And to see that boiling point reached by what is, to my memory, the single most rational person around who had an utterly unguarded care for his hobby and the community that surrounds it... believe me when I say that the HOW means nothing standing next to the WHY.

And, as Alexandros points out, that sorely needs addressing.
Yup. Jase was immense to this community in his selflessness and not just about knowing about Steam like the back of his hand. How did it all come to this man.....what a sad outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.