• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, I don't think the idea wasn't without merit (We are popular among gamers + implementing a store = people will buy games from us isn't a fundamentally flawed equation), but as someone who used Discord solely for a particular purpose, I doubt I was the only person to see a game on the store, think "That looks interesting, except I'm just here to chat or whatever" and throw the game onto the "I'll get it when it's on a platform I actually use for gaming" pile.

Discord Store would be a thing for sure if Epic didn't star buying exclusives left and right. Discord didn't have that kind of money to follow them. So they dropped cut but as we know that was not the main reason why devs went to Epic Store.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a discord store should have focused on specific features rather than retailing out games. Most ppl who join a discord community are joining because they already play the game after all. Stuff like overlay skins, voice mods, etc.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I don't think the idea wasn't without merit (We are popular among gamers + implementing a store = people will buy games from us isn't a fundamentally flawed equation), but as someone who used Discord solely for a particular purpose, I doubt I was the only person to see a game on the store, think "That looks interesting, except I'm just here to chat or whatever" and throw the game onto the "I'll get it when it's on a platform I actually use for gaming" pile.
I think my main problem with that idea is that they announced it 1 month after Twitch closed its store. Not the best moment pal.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Discord Store would be a thing for sure if Epic didn't star buying exclusives left and right. Discord didn't have that kind of money to follow them. So they dropped cut but as we know that was not the main reason why devs went to Epic Store.

Well, the store, as a concept, still exists; it's just tied to official game channels nowadays, but I'm not sure things would've played out differently even if Epic hadn't entered the ring. Epic has largely if not exclusively targeted high-profile games and indie titles of particular significance, which leaves a lot of uncovered ground -- ground that Discord was covering initially, with titles like Sinner. I'd say the sales of these launch window deals painted a dull long-term picture and the idea of relegating the store to something more akin to itch.io was the wiser move. Discord is popular, but not Fortnite popular; it can't justify spending hundred of millions of dollars on a gambit that probably won't pan out.

Holy fuck, is that only if you're playing in 4K?

I don't think so:

The in-game description says it "enhances graphics for objects at all zoom levels". I haven't mucked around with the campaign preview yet, but I presume this means the higher the zoom level, the greater the level of detail. That'd certainly explain the 137% bump in install size.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
But you can do that with Steam for years!

Yeah but what if you use Discord and some pals don't use Steam? Discord is the lynchpin between all the other clients out there since almost everycunt uses it. Its just a nice feature to have, though having it be paid (from the looks of it) sucks. Guess its all down to server load though.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the store, as a concept, still exists; it's just tied to official game channels nowadays, but I'm not sure things would've played out differently even if Epic hadn't entered the ring. Epic has largely if not exclusively targeted high-profile games and indie titles of particular significance, which leaves a lot of uncovered ground -- ground that Discord was covering initially, with titles like Sinner. I'd say the sales of these launch window deals painted a dull long-term picture and the idea of relegating the store to something more akin to itch.io was the wiser move. Discord is popular, but not Fortnite popular; it can't justify spending hundred of millions of dollars on a gambit that probably won't pan out.

I still beleive that they would be trying something still if Epic wasn't there.

To me, it is the ancestor of Cuphead. If I manage to beat DuckTales, I will consider purchasing Cuphead.

Cuphead is much, much, much harder game, especially bosses (and that is like more than a half of game XD).

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yeah but what if you use Discord and some pals don't use Steam? Discord is the lynchpin between all the other clients out there since almost everycunt uses it. Its just a nice feature to have, though having it be paid (from the looks of it) sucks. Guess its all down to server load though.

?

https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198026695312

you can share your broadcast with anyone, no login required, just set to any one.

not my broadcast by the way.

Oct 28, 2017
?

https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198026695312

you can share your broadcast with anyone, no login required, just set to any one.

not my broadcast by the way.

My point includes having chat capability and privacy. Near everyone uses Discord, as there's some people out there who are vehemently anti-Steam. I just think the Discord integration is better than Steam's Broadcast system, which feels like it hasn't really moved on since inception. It was neat when it first came around, though.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My point includes having chat capability and privacy. Near everyone uses Discord, as there's some people out there who are vehemently anti-Steam. I just think the Discord integration is better than Steam's Broadcast system, which feels like it hasn't really moved on since inception. It was neat when it first came around, though.
Sorry, can you elaborate how its better, sounds like the Discord version ia a more limited version of what we already got with steam.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ooh, The Surge now on GOG with a 75% launch discount!
Focus Home has been expanding their GOG catalogue. I like that.
Of course, now I'm less likely to buy The Surge 2 at launch on Steam, given Deck13's 2 prior games made their way to GOG eventually.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Discord has been getting worse for months now.

Randomly has CPU spikes and they released a blog earlier discussing memory spikes.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Lords of the Fallen on sale a couple days ago and thought to myself it would be nice to release their whole catalog there. Pretty awesome news

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, can you elaborate how its better, sounds like the Discord version ia a more limited version of what we already got with steam.

the main thing would likely just be it's integration into discord. since steam communities don't really exist the way discord communities do, it's very useful to have the option integrated within the community itself. like say for example I'm in a league of legends discord and I'm discussing a combo-concept, I can just be like ok ima boot up and show you real quick.

im actually kinda interested in how discord is maintained, it can't just be subs and they don't do ads

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
the main thing would likely just be it's integration into discord. since steam communities don't really exist the way discord communities do, it's very useful to have the option integrated within the community itself. like say for example I'm in a league of legends discord and I'm discussing a combo-concept, I can just be like ok ima boot up and show you real quick.

im actually kinda interested in how discord is maintained, it can't just be subs and they don't do ads

That's fair, if you are part of a small community with less then 10 people it could be useful.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I just recently realized that in Alpha Protocol whichever Handler liked me the most during the early parts of the game, will be my handler following KSA. I ended up with Mina and her perk is OK, but it annoys me how this game comes off as a bizarre mix of stealth and shooty bang.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that plus steam communities are pretty much non-existent and you don't really get any social interaction on the level of discord even remotely, so a community focused streaming service makes a lot more sense for something like discord than steam, which is kind of more like a subpar twitch service. so like the "demand" should be there, but iunno we'll see, like I said before I'm already surprised at how many nitro subs I run into on discord who just want to use channel specific emotes everywhere

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wanted throw this theoretical out to PC gaming Era to maybe help me plan for a DEDICATED gaming PC or laptop:

If I were to obtain a PC or laptop that I wanted to use EXCLUSIVELY for gaming (I already have a PC that would handle my productivity and media consumption needs outside of gaming), is there anything to do within Windows 10 configuration or any sort of applications that can maximize the way software and hardware communicate for performance gains?

Basically, any tips that might not be so obvious for folks that have a DEDICATED gaming PC? Like, a PC that will literally be used for no other purpose other than gaming, with gaming performance being maximized as the end goal.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm actually not too concerned with jumping into BIOS and overclocking or anything. I guess I'm strictly talking about tweaks and settings that can be managed at the OS-level -- in this specific case, at the Windows 10 level.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted throw this theoretical out to PC gaming Era to maybe help me plan for a DEDICATED gaming PC or laptop:

If I were to obtain a PC or laptop that I wanted to use EXCLUSIVELY for gaming (I already have a PC that would handle my productivity and media consumption needs outside of gaming), is there anything to do within Windows 10 configuration or any sort of applications that can maximize the way software and hardware communicate for performance gains?

Basically, any tips that might not be so obvious for folks that have a DEDICATED gaming PC? Like, a PC that will literally be used for no other purpose other than gaming, with gaming performance being maximized as the end goal.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm actually not too concerned with jumping into BIOS and overclocking or anything. I guess I'm strictly talking about tweaks and settings that can be managed at the OS-level -- in this specific case, at the Windows 10 level.
AFAIK, modern OSes don't really consume enough resources to make these kinds of OS tweaks matter, and the tips like turning off pagefile are actually harmful to your computer's performance. You'd receive dramatically larger performance gains by tweaking settings in-game (and making sure things like drivers are up to date) vs. any sort of OS lifehacks.

Windows comptuers have gotten a lot more user friendly over the last, say, 15 years.

Like, modern PC gaming is alllll about letting you multitask, I'd say. (Which is the opposite of making razor-thin OS impact, lol.)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
AFAIK, modern OSes don't really consume enough resources to make these kinds of OS tweaks matter, and the tips like turning off pagefile are actually harmful to your computer's performance. You'd receive dramatically larger performance gains by tweaking settings in-game (and making sure things like drivers are up to date) vs. any sort of OS lifehacks.

Windows comptuers have gotten a lot more user friendly over the last, say, 15 years.

Like, modern PC gaming is alllll about letting you multitask, I'd say. (Which is the opposite of making razor-thin OS impact, lol.)

Well, that works for me! I guess that explains why I haven't seen guides like that in a good long while, and I had figured I had just fallen out of touch. Thanks!

Nov 3, 2017
It's bee a few years since i used a gaming laptop so I don't know if this is still a thing or if the driver does it for you now but I'm assuming you'll get a laptop with a GTX/RTX in it so make sure to launch the game using the discrete gfx chipset rather than the cpu one. I still see it mentioned time to time so i assume it's not a stupid thing to mention... hopefully.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I discover that these games are part of the PC Game Pass.

0lIqwYE.png

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Does anyone know of a good hybrid controller + mouse solution, as an alternative to keyboard + mouse?

I suck at WASD, and using a keyboard for games just isn't comfortable, to me. I've tried the Razer Orbweaver, but that only solved part of the problem (moving with a joystick), and I still ended up with wrist pain. Also, it's wired, and I game on the couch, using a TV as a monitor. Even with a USB extension cable, that thing got in the way.

I do enjoy the quick and precise aiming of a mouse, and have a lapboard with good support, so I was looking into alternatives for my left hand, such as the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con or the PlayStation Move Navigation Controller (the PS3's "nunchuck"), both of which I already own and can be connected to the PC via Bluetooth.

If gyro controls were possible, I'd even try replacing the mouse with another Joy-Con or the actual Move "wand" controller.

Any suggestions?

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
New IP for Spiderweb:

Greetings from Spiderweb Software! So, there's a project we've been working on. We first started thinking about it five years ago. We started it for real two years ago. We've put in countless hours building it from the ground up. At last, it's almost done, and it's a ton of fun.

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, our first all-new series in years, is coming to Steam on September 11, 2019!

If you'd like to know as soon as it's out and let Steam know that there is interest, please wishlist it.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
New IP for Spiderweb:

Greetings from Spiderweb Software! So, there's a project we've been working on. We first started thinking about it five years ago. We started it for real two years ago. We've put in countless hours building it from the ground up. At last, it's almost done, and it's a ton of fun.

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, our first all-new series in years, is coming to Steam on September 11, 2019!

If you'd like to know as soon as it's out and let Steam know that there is interest, please wishlist it.

Nice
That was the one they kickstartered and got past a lot of their goals I hope it does really well for them all their games are fantastic for what they are

He's one of my favorite devs, as much as I like him I had been burned a lot on KS so didn't want to set foot around any of those shenanigans but I'll be happy to try and get it on steam/gog

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a good hybrid controller + mouse solution, as an alternative to keyboard + mouse?

I suck at WASD, and using a keyboard for games just isn't comfortable, to me. I've tried the Razer Orbweaver, but that only solved part of the problem (moving with a joystick), and I still ended up with wrist pain. Also, it's wired, and I game on the couch, using a TV as a monitor. Even with a USB extension cable, that thing got in the way.

I do enjoy the quick and precise aiming of a mouse, and have a lapboard with good support, so I was looking into alternatives for my left hand, such as the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con or the PlayStation Move Navigation Controller (the PS3's "nunchuck"), both of which I already own and can be connected to the PC via Bluetooth.

If gyro controls were possible, I'd even try replacing the mouse with another Joy-Con or the actual Move "wand" controller.

Any suggestions?

The Steam Controller sounds like it would be perfect for you. Right thumb on the trackpad for mouse aiming, Left thumb on stick tor movement gives best of both worlds, and it also has gyro (though I can't speak to how good it is as I always turn it off). Wireless, so comfy couch gaming. Only downside may be the ergonomics of the controller as a whole, though I personally find it more comfortable than the current XBox and PS controllers.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
The Steam Controller sounds like it would be perfect for you. Right thumb on the trackpad for mouse aiming, Left thumb on stick tor movement gives best of both worlds, and it also has gyro (though I can't speak to how good it is as I always turn it off). Wireless, so comfy couch gaming. Only downside may be the ergonomics of the controller as a whole, though I personally find it more comfortable than the current XBox and PS controllers.

Would you say that the Steam Controller a bit of an... acquired taste?

I'd been out of the PC gaming scene for nearly a decade when I built my current rig, in 2017. Even before that, I'd already ordered that controller, assuming that it'd be the ideal solution for someone like me, who'd gotten used to couch gaming and gamepads.

Turned on my new PC for the first time and immediately connected the controller. Used it for a couple hours, couldn't stand it. Not just the ergonomics or the tiny buttons, but the trackpad didn't really click (heh) with me - and that's its selling point.

If there's a learning curve, or if it just takes time to get used to it before you start loving it, I'd definitely consider giving it another go.

I'm still interested in the idea of using a single joystick in my left hand, though, particularly the Nav Controller, which is a tad more comfortable than the Joy-Con. Would love to hear feedback from people who've tried that (and what software they used).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Would you say that the Steam Controller a bit of an... acquired taste?

I'd been out of the PC gaming scene for nearly a decade when I built my current rig, in 2017. Even before that, I'd already ordered that controller, assuming that it'd be the ideal solution for someone like me, who'd gotten used to couch gaming and gamepads.

Turned on my new PC for the first time and immediately connected the controller. Used it for a couple hours, couldn't stand it. Not just the ergonomics or the tiny buttons, but the trackpad didn't really click (heh) with me - and that's its selling point.

If there's a learning curve, or if it just takes time to get used to it before you start loving it, I'd definitely consider giving it another go.

I'm still interested in the idea of using a single joystick in my left hand, though, particularly the Nav Controller, which is a tad more comfortable than the Joy-Con. Would love to hear feedback from people who've tried that (and what software they used).

Yeah, much as I think it's as revolutionary as any Nintendo pad, and have seriously considered stockpiling Steam Controllers for when our current pads break, it is an acquired taste. There is definitely also a learning curve, though, and having the right config for the right game really matters, so I think it comes down to how much you're willing to persevere with it vs looking for alternatives. Personally, I would recommend playing with the settings here-and-there when you can be bothered - edge spin on the trackpad, and deadzone on the stick especially - but it's totally fair to just say "Not for me" and let it gather dust.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, much as I think it's as revolutionary as any Nintendo pad, and have seriously considered stockpiling Steam Controllers for when our current pads break, it is an acquired taste. There is definitely also a learning curve, though, and having the right config for the right game really matters, so I think it comes down to how much you're willing to persevere with it vs looking for alternatives. Personally, I would recommend playing with the settings here-and-there when you can be bothered - edge spin on the trackpad, and deadzone on the stick especially - but it's totally fair to just say "Not for me" and let it gather dust.

Got it. I have literal haunting memories of trying to play the original Alone in the Dark on my uncle's ThinkPad, using the TrackPoint, so that's where my trauma of touch sensitive input devices (for games, at least) stems from. I could never secure that room in time.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
DSPPdji.png

Unrelated, there is a game with sexual content, which is so damn active with releasing DLC that it clutters the Discord bot to a point it is irritating.

VcpK9nu.png

[...]
roe3eZI.png

I thought that they would run out of ideas, but just today, they released 35 new DLC, which are modded versions of existing DLC.

6xRKw8T.png

There are 9 active players, but 102 announcements on the Steam page. This has to be the most communicative dev ever.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
This is likely old

Azure is basically the reason that PS02 is coming to the west, it seems that SEGA had wanted to do it for some time but because the US is different than Japan, that the way PS02 is set up would not be as responsive as in Japan. They were thinking of using Amazon or Google but after Microsoft approached them and pitched the idea of using Azure to release the game in the west that SEGA approved

Status
Not open for further replies.