• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back.

Steam Labs is worth it already even if that is the only major update to the base Steam platform.

Steam Labs is amazing. I've already got a lot out of the recommender alone.

EDIT:

I'm still listed as "Self-requested ban", lol. I kind of hope mods allow me to keep that.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
In OG Deus Ex Human Revolution, what're good weapons to keep in order to take down the bosses? The 3rd boss I have a tactic for, but what about the first 2? Going full stealth makes means not taking along much firepower, etc. so I want to at least take some weapons or explosives along the way to deal with them.
Before you fight the second boss in Montreal, there's a long corridor with a side-room that has a heavy rifle.

I picked that one up, and kept it for the remainder of the game, purely for the bosses.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Will try out the Steam Link app for the first time due to Dicey Dungeons. I'd rather play that game on a tablet.

It can die in a fire if they stick to vertical boxarts like in the leak.

At least both GoG Galaxy 2.0 and Playnite use those, so it might be easier to share the load to create new custom ones

They are using them, you can see them in Steam Database in information (many games still dont have them):

unknown.png

library_600x900_2x.jpg

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I want to leave my computer on to play with steam link while I'm travelling the next few days but I just know windows 10 will do some stupid shit and reset it after some dumb update.

Fuck windows 10.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I was wondering why the gem market started tanking a little yesterday. I thought it might have to do with The International and people selling gems in order to buy more compendium levels. It looks like it is the effect of these cosmetics.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they added an option to mark a game as "Played on Another Platform", which is pretty nice.

56yu67iy35qfki3.png

---

On another note; anyone noticed their wishlist count is incorrect?

thg67je5gwfgen0kr0.png

I guess it's wishlisted apps that have since been removed from the store, but I'm not sure how I can delete all those in one go.

Edit: Yeah, turns out I have 42 unlisted games on my wishlist according to https://www.steamwishlistcalculator.com

That's cool, though honestly, I'd probably rebuy any such game on Steam anyway unless I didn't like it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
WTF, fire pro wrestling just crashes instantly at launch. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting saves, unsubbing from everything on the workshop and disabling steam cloud but it does the same shit.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
WTF, fire pro wrestling just crashes instantly at launch. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting saves, unsubbing from everything on the workshop and disabling steam cloud but it does the same shit.

I had something like this happen in Binding of Isaac once. It didn't fix until I deleted my entire Steam Workshop folder for the game. Might be worth a try.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm only about 3 hours in, but I want to say that Ashen is pretty damn awesome and people shouldn't sleep on it when it comes to steam in a couple of months.

02090900373.jpg

Yeah, it's indie-Dark Souls, but it's so far really good indie-Dark Souls. I'd actually recommend it to people who are leery of Dark Souls' more esoteric parts but want to try out the series.

Stuff that's similar to Dark Souls:
- Stamina based combat that 'feels' like a souls game. It's not quite as tight, but it's a scary-close approximation for an indie team.
- Really nice level design. It's got more open fields than your average souls game, but the architecture on a micro scale is similarly circuitous and enemy placement definitely has the same 'use the environment to your advantage or have it used against you' feeling.
- Die and lose all your money but keep your items. Do a corpse run to retrieve your lost money.
- Recharge estus equivalents at bonfire equivalents
- Somewhat abstracted lore with lots of mystery (though the NPCs are definitely more yappy).
- Find an NPC to bring them back to your home base to become a vendor or whatever.

Different from Dark Souls:
- It's got a map and it's got quest markers, which gives you a clear set of goals and motivation to roam the entirety of the map. It also clearly sign posts when you need to go back to NPCs (or find them in a new area) to talk to them to continue down a side quest (which has always been a pain in the souls games). There's no mini map though, so you aren't constantly staring at the bottom corner of the screen while playing.
- There's no point allocation on level up or stats like dexterity or attunement or whatever. You can't 'build' a character 'wrong' like you can in Dark Souls, so while it's a narrower experience, it puts the focus on gear and moment-to-moment ability more than prepping.
- A jump button! It's still a stubby jump like in the souls games (and it also has the same weird property of being a fairly long jump, but almost no height), but being able to jump without running and being able to mantle short ledges gives the exploring a slightly different feel. That said, it still has the sort of janky "everything has collision and you slide down slopes" feeling that Souls games have, but that just feels like home to me.
-A really slick visual style. The whole no-faces thing and pastel drab colours is something I really really like. It suits the atmosphere and fiction perfectly and is exceptionally clear to read.
- You are often joined by an NPC partner for free and they are very aggressive. They also don't permanently die and can heal themselves, so you don't have to worry about constantly protecting them. That said, their path finding is really wonky (they'll jump at walls forever when there's a ramp right next to them to get up to you) and it seems very abstracted to when they'll actually show up (as far as i can tell, you can't instigate them to come with you...they just sort of show up when they are in the area). But it definitely eases a lot of the combat difficulty (again, i'm early on, that may change).

So yeah. My opinion might change as I keep going, but I really like it so far and it seems like the EGS thing really smashed their chance to shine.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I knew that Sleeping Dogs was great (i finished it once already) but man i forgot how good it is. I can't imagine how good sequel would be with bigger budget. Damn you Square Enix.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be playing the original ver. of the game as I mentioned so we'll see if I want to fling barrels at him instead, hehe.

I remember using EMP grenades too in my previous playthroughs yeah. Will keep those around.

You don't have to shoot him (bullets or grenades) at all if you are good a throwing.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's indie-Dark Souls, but it's so far really good indie-Dark Souls. I'd actually recommend it to people who are leery of Dark Souls' more esoteric parts but want to try out the series.

I might double-dip. I played it a couple months ago and devoured it. Love the quest system. Really kept me propelled through the game.

The only thing that wore me out is the *severe* stamina usage. A single hit from an enemy while shielded in the later zones would expend my whole bar. And I was using the stamina reduction relic! That's just way too punishing. I think if they reduced the stamina usage by 40-50% the game's combat would flow a lot better.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing "Baba is you" and I love the concept, but some levels make me feel stupid.
My advice: after having spend an appropriate time on a level (understand what things you can do, what the game wants you to do, what the game specifically blocks you from doing, and maybe see what outside-the-box thinking you may do), go on Youtube, check the solution, and perform it yourself by trying to understand what you're doing and why you're doing it (instead of blindly following a formula). Then move on to the next, and spend again some time on it before looking at the solution, etc.
Baba is You's brilliance is that it's a game that you can learn. It has a logic, it has a system, and then it has tricks. It's not simply a matter of stepping 3 step left, 2 right, press A exactly 7 times, and then up: understanding is what makes the thing rewarding, and it allows the player to learn and progress, too.
I'm in the last level of the game right now, and I can only solve 1 puzzle out of 10 anymore, the rest is from Youtube. But I'm still having a lot of fun, just one or two puzzle every week or so. Once I'm done, I think I'll revisit the game in a year, after I've forgotten most of it, and try to play through it again, to see what I'd remember from its logic. I've never replayed a solved puzzle game, but Baba is that different.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I might double-dip. I played it a couple months ago and devoured it. Love the quest system. Really kept me propelled through the game.

The only thing that wore me out is the *severe* stamina usage. A single hit from an enemy while shielded in the later zones would expend my whole bar. And I was using the stamina reduction relic! That's just way too punishing. I think if they reduced the stamina usage by 40-50% the game's combat would flow a lot better.

Dang, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I guess they do the same as Souls games and just push the player towards dodging above all.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
They literally just added achievements 2 hours ago lol

about 2 hours ago · August 14, 2019 – 15:30:07 UTCChange #U:12532729

I can only imagine how well yearly cycle games sell when they come out on Steam a year late. Luckily it was WRC series, not Dirt Rally, so nothing of value was lost.

edit: I have to add that year after year I do hope that the other rally game developers finally get it right. WRC series has had some potential over the years but they have never gotten close. Maybe this is the year...

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
I'm only about 3 hours in, but I want to say that Ashen is pretty damn awesome and people shouldn't sleep on it when it comes to steam in a couple of months.

02090900373.jpg

- Stamina based combat that 'feels' like a souls game. It's not quite as tight, but it's a scary-close approximation for an indie team.
- Really nice level design. It's got more open fields than your average souls game, but the architecture on a micro scale is similarly circuitous and enemy placement definitely has the same 'use the environment to your advantage or have it used against you' feeling.
- Die and lose all your money but keep your items. Do a corpse run to retrieve your lost money.
- Somewhat abstracted lore with lots of mystery (though the NPCs are definitely more yappy).
- Find an NPC to bring them back to your home base to become a vendor or whatever.

- It's got a map and it's got quest markers, which gives you a clear set of goals and motivation to roam the entirety of the map. It also clearly sign posts when you need to go back to NPCs (or find them in a new area) to talk to them to continue down a side quest (which has always been a pain in the souls games). There's no mini map though, so you aren't constantly staring at the bottom corner of the screen while playing.
- There's no point allocation on level up or stats like dexterity or attunement or whatever. You can't 'build' a character 'wrong' like you can in Dark Souls, so while it's a narrower experience, it puts the focus on gear and moment-to-moment ability more than prepping.
- A jump button! It's still a stubby jump like in the souls games (and it also has the same weird property of being a fairly long jump, but almost no height), but being able to jump without running and being able to mantle short ledges gives the exploring a slightly different feel. That said, it still has the sort of janky "everything has collision and you slide down slopes" feeling that Souls games have, but that just feels like home to me.
-A really slick visual style. The whole no-faces thing and pastel drab colours is something I really really like. It suits the atmosphere and fiction perfectly and is exceptionally clear to read.
- You are often joined by an NPC partner for free and they are very aggressive. They also don't permanently die and can heal themselves, so you don't have to worry about constantly protecting them. That said, their path finding is really wonky (they'll jump at walls forever when there's a ramp right next to them to get up to you) and it seems very abstracted to when they'll actually show up (as far as i can tell, you can't instigate them to come with you...they just sort of show up when they are in the area). But it definitely eases a lot of the combat difficulty (again, i'm early on, that may change).

So yeah. My opinion might change as I keep going, but I really like it so far and it seems like the EGS thing really smashed their chance to shine.
I played it on XB through game pass and plan on buying it on Steam. The game has some really odd design decisions and difficulty spikes, but I liked it overall. Having one power tied to a resource was really annoying and lead to me grinding a bit for each attempt at areas that required that power. Also the first proper long dungeon brutally difficult and unfair at the end.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great write-up on Ashen, Teeth. Kind of fell off my radar but I'll have to give it a shot eventually. Does it have the same air of mystery about the world and its inhabitants as Dark Souls? Despite how convoluted those games got with their lore, that's probably my favorite aspect of them.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Great write-up on Ashen, Teeth. Kind of fell off my radar but I'll have to give it a shot eventually. Does it have the same air of mystery about the world and its inhabitants as Dark Souls? Despite how convoluted those games got with their lore, that's probably my favorite aspect of them.

I haven't gotten far enough to know, really. They dump you into a unique-fiction dead world (like DS games) and you pick it up as you go along (like DS games) and all the items and stuff have flavour text (like DS games) and the NPCs all talk in semi-riddles (like DS games), but the main quest line feels a lot more direct so far.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, as I rarely get a true sense of what's happening in DS games until i watch/read a lore breakdown upon finishing.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

02090900373.jpg

After you're done

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

02090900373.jpg

Great write-up. Moved it up on my buying list a bit.

One question about the combat though. Played a few Dark Souls inspired indie-games over the years but most of them get the stamina management not quite right imo. Lots of the time after two attacks it is empty. Maybe a dodge, too, but you can hardly do anything before you need to watch it slowly getting back up. I have the Dark Souls more generous in the begining in memory. How is it in Ashen? Quick drain or can you at least do a combo?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten far enough to know, really. They dump you into a unique-fiction dead world (like DS games) and you pick it up as you go along (like DS games) and all the items and stuff have flavour text (like DS games) and the NPCs all talk in semi-riddles (like DS games), but the main quest line feels a lot more direct so far.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, as I rarely get a true sense of what's happening in DS games until i watch/read a lore breakdown upon finishing.

Oh yeah, I'm the same way. I like how weird and abstract is is at times, but I didn't really grasp the whole picture until I watched other (smarter) peoples' breakdowns of what's going on. So far, Ashen sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it out once I've cleared my backlog a little.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

02090900373.jpg

Good write-up. Although, I am not as positive as you on the game.

I appreciate it for being an indie effort take on the Souls formula but Souls games are more than about stamina mangement, slow, deliberate animations and highly damaging enemies. It really is a one-note experience with not much variety in its combat, enemies and levels. It has a few handful of axes, clubs and sticks and spears which is about it for weapon variety. They may as well have almost similar animations. Once you dedicate resources to a handful of weapons, there is no need to diversify. Not like there is much variety to begin with.

Most enemies are dull humanoids with kind of similar move sets. There are a few exceptions like those elephant creature things in the last area. Bosses don't fare much better.

Levels are larger and make more decent use of the jump mechanic to the formula than Souls but there is an almost complete lack of interesting loot due to it lacking more interesting systems. (E.g Spells, Ranged weapons, covenants, different types of consumables...etc)

That being said, I am interested in what the team can do in a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.