• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting 'cause while I was initially interested in Exodus around launch, I told myself that I'd just wait for it to drop on Steam.

But now that some months have passed I've found that my interest has completely dried up. It feels like the ship has sailed and I no longer feel like playing the game at all.

Wonder how many other EGS timed-exclusives will suffer the same fate.
As somebody who has played the game, you are not missing much
It's sadly not the Stalker x Metro i was hoping for and is much rather Metro X Far Cry

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
It's interesting 'cause while I was initially interested in Exodus around launch, I told myself that I'd just wait for it to drop on Steam.

But now that some months have passed I've found that my interest has completely dried up. It feels like the ship has sailed and I no longer feel like playing the game at all.

My dude, all shop politics to the side, you should play it. It is so good. It has so much heart. The shooting is so fun. There are various vehicles. The environments look incredible. I fell for this game hard. It can be janky and some of the design feels like a throwback but that just made me love it more. Just my 2cents.

Edit: Laughing because I just saw the response above. There is no accounting for taste!

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I felt like the open world design was extremly pointless in Exodus. You just go from checkpoint to checkpoint on the map. You can't really discover anything while exploring the map and some parts are even blocked off until you complete a certain mission. Frustrating until you realize how to play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I felt like the open world design was extremly pointless in Exodus. You just go from checkpoint to checkpoint on the map. You can't really discover anything while exploring the map and some parts are even blocked off until you complete a certain mission. Frustrating until you realize how to play the game.

This is dead on. I'm playing through it right now and I'm not enjoying it like I thought I would. It does seem so far like I'm just running from where I am to wherever the next giant X is on the map. I don't think I've discovered anything that I wasn't expecting or wasn't marked on the map.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
My dude, all shop politics to the side, you should play it. It is so good. It has so much heart. The shooting is so fun. There are various vehicles. The environments look incredible. I fell for this game hard. It can be janky and some of the design feels like a throwback but that just made me love it more. Just my 2cents.

Edit: Laughing because I just saw the response above. There is no accounting for taste!

Well with a NOLF avatar I'll certainly take your vote of confidence into consideration. :p

But I think my larger point is I'm left wondering where the 12-month holdout crowd shakes out in regards to launch hype and impulse buying.

Like I know I'll be there for Outer Wilds & Outer Worlds when they eventually make it to Steam. But there's second-tier releases that I had a middling interest in...things like Anno 1800 and Phoenix Point...that just aren't even on my radar anymore. I may have bit at one point, but these are simply lost sales to me.

Launch-window hype is a real thing and it drives a lot of on-the-fence sales. Maybe EGS moneybags make up for that demographic. But I'm genuinely curious what the actual user numbers look like for titles that may be forgotten in the public mind-share 12 months post EGS launch.

I can't imagine it would feel good for a random developer who got upfront insurance money from EGS, only to see poor sales on the platform* followed by being completely forgotten when the exclusivity window expires. I'm sure it's nice to have that moneybag, but it's gotta sting if it's at the expense of people actually touching your game.

* factoring in the Never-EGS crowd which I honestly can't even guess at.

Oct 28, 2017
I think devs will rotate to doing big updates to titles before their non-EGS releases. This way, they can get PR from news sites, double the "usual" amount they'd get just for a launch on that new store.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017

This is the main reason I am struggling to get any benefit from Game Pass, so I can understand your reason concerning Exodus (great game by the way). Having just bought Rebel Galaxy Outlaws as my second bought EGS game, as I do not have any real backlog at the moment, apart from plowing through PS4 exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
I think devs will rotate to doing big updates to titles before their non-EGS releases. This way, they can get PR from news sites, double the "usual" amount they'd get just for a launch on that new store.
It would be dumb not to do it, really. Even if it's technically not a port in this case, adding extra content/revamping something for a new port is videogame marketing 101.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's basically the early access and late port problem. You usually only have one big launch, so how do you make the second one make a difference and reach the other audience.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I was well up for Metro but am no longer that bothered. Ill pick it up at some point but like all the eggs games it will be once they get super cheap (or not at all if that never happens).

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus: Ultimate Edition
Now featuring cloud saves and achievements

60 dollars

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Well with a NOLF avatar I'll certainly take your vote of confidence into consideration. :p

But I think my larger point is I'm left wondering where the 12-month holdout crowd shakes out in regards to launch hype and impulse buying.

Like I know I'll be there for Outer Wilds & Outer Worlds when they eventually make it to Steam. But there's second-tier releases that I had a middling interest in...things like Anno 1800 and Phoenix Point...that just aren't even on my radar anymore. I may have bit at one point, but these are simply lost sales to me.

Launch-window hype is a real thing and it drives a lot of on-the-fence sales. Maybe EGS moneybags make up for that demographic. But I'm genuinely curious what the actual user numbers look like for titles that may be forgotten in the public mind-share 12 months post EGS launch.

I can't imagine it would feel good for a random developer who got upfront insurance money from EGS, only to see poor sales on the platform* followed by being completely forgotten when the exclusivity window expires. I'm sure it's nice to have that moneybag, but it's gotta sting if it's at the expense of people actually touching your game.

* factoring in the Never-EGS crowd which I honestly can't even guess at.
Anno 1800 a second-tier release? Whoa. I gotta sit down after reading that one. Really? You must live in the USA.

Launch-window hype is the opposite of a real thing. It is completely contrived and arbitrary imo, conjured by the internet refresh cycle. It is so arbitrary that I think it can be duplicated after 12 months. I am more or less agnostic but I think the numbers are there for EGS. And besides, having the money upfront is more than nice for small developers. It's make or break. But what do I know? I am just the avatar of a scientist with a bad German accent. I take developers at their positive words with regard to the new shop front in town.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I think pricing will be a bigger issue than new shiny things added to games that release after a period of exclusivity. Let's face it, if I felt I couldn't live without the game during the exclusivity period I'd have either rolled over and bought it on EGS or pirated it. If I decided I could wait until the game released on Steam then I have no issue with waiting for a sale either.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Anno 1800 a second-tier release? Whoa. I gotta sit down after reading that one. Really? You must live in the USA.

vIlvLTS.jpg

Yeah, I'm State-side, but I've still got Euro cred!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I was worried about Iron Harvest ever since they signed on with Deep Silver.

Exodus had exactly 2 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque levels- the river and the desert. Those 2 were playgrounds you could fuck around with, get attacked by random wildlife, had to constantly be on the lookout for preying critters and bandits, and you needed to juggle your inventory, because stuff was still genuinely scarce. Oh, and you could ignore plot missions for ages to explore, clear out outposts and generally mess with shit. The desert even had an underground lab that was more of a typical X-lab setup than the Metro corridors.

The rest of the game was much more typical Metro, with some faux open levels (Taiga), and some linear shot setpieces. The train and your "crew" interactions kind of built off the Call of Prypyat system in a way, and it was a neat touch to move the story, but I'm not feeling the need to buy the DLC until it goes on sale in the Steam Winter sale.

I can totally see the next EGS exclusive wave @ GamesCom, just hope THQN stick to their promise of Day 1 GOG release for Biomutant.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Just about to start the Outer Wilds.
Should be interesting.

The game has been patched recently, but I did not find any patch note. I have only started playing it recently. It is a great game so far.

Another great game on EGS is Klei's game. It is a very fresh take at the roguelike card game genre, mixed with a decent amount of RPG.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Dicey Dugeons has been heavily polished after the alpha stopped being sold. There is even (minor) voice-over for Lady Luck.

I know achievements and the French translation are planned. There were in-game achievements during the alpha in the form of quests.
The alpha was fully translated to French by the same team which translated Gremlins Inc., so it is just a matter of translating a few additional strings here and there.

If Steam trading cards were added, it would be perfect.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I imagine JaseC is happy about this! Another Greta Gerwig directed film starring Seahorse Romulan is very enticing.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Aka we don't have encryption and Gearbox doesn't want game to be datamined.
I wonder how many games support cloud saves on the Epic Store today (I don't think that there is a way to check something like that through the store), to me it seems that they're, somehow, shipping this features but they require a shit tons of work to be functional

Status
Not open for further replies.