• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
DMCA takedowns on Steam and GOG for Star Control Origin by the series creators:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1742229167221237036/
Seems weird that nobody has tried this before. Anyone can issue DMCA notices, and all stores will take stuff down, regardless of how little merit a case has (like, the two devs here don't own the IP, and they have nothing to do with the creation of this newest game. Unless they have a software patent on making strategy games, yeah, tough luck)

I keep forgetting Twitch Prime free games is a thing. Decided to check it out.

*reads claim instructions*

jJmiG2h.gif
Exactly my reaction as well.
Thanks. But no thanks. :O

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird that nobody has tried this before. Anyone can issue DMCA notices, and all stores will take stuff down, regardless of how little merit a case has (like, the two devs here don't own the IP, and they have nothing to do with the creation of this newest game. Unless they have a software patent on making strategy games, yeah, tough luck)

It's simply not true. Tens of games have been taken down with DCMA claims on Steam alone. Orion (by Activision), River City, many asset flips on past year alone.

Even this game with DLC was taken down with DCMA once already (before release, game was restored, DLC not) and now again after court ruled they're entitled to use DCMA (Stardock tried to get court to block further DCMA claims).

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, look at this cute game Steam has recommended for me. Is this like Dora the Explorer? Maybe good for my little niece?

treasure0kft2.jpg

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

It's simply not true. Tens of games have been taken down with DCMA claims on Steam alone. Orion (by Activision), River City, many asset flips on past year alone.

Even this game with DLC was taken down with DCMA once already (before release, game was restored, DLC not) and now again after court ruled they're entitled to use DCMA (Stardock tried to get court to block further DCMA claims).
Got it. So that Steam Community post is pretty one-sided to say the least.
Well, as long as the people that bought it aren't affected ( and I know Steam doesn't remove valid keys if a game gets pulled), this shouldn't be a big problem. Stardock should pay them what they are due relative to their rights, or stop using the IP. Call it Galaxy Control or something.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as long as the people that bought it aren't affected ( and I know Steam doesn't remove valid keys if a game gets pulled), this shouldn't be a big problem. Stardock should pay them what they are due relative to their rights, or stop using the IP. Call it Galaxy Control or something.

For DCMA, keys may be disabled until it's solved.

If you want less one sided story, see court dockets:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6239751/102/stardock-systems-inc-v-paul-reiche-iii/

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
There's a thread on the whole ugly saga.

You can make your own judgments, but I'd say the action here was warranted and Stardock has nobody but themselves to blame.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, look at this cute game Steam has recommended for me. Is this like Dora the Explorer? Maybe good for my little niece?

treasure0kft2.jpg

Is the "More Highlights" section customized per user aside from filtering tags? Doesn't appear so.... that means Valve is choosing to promote this game for everyone. That's an interesting choice....

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Twitch Prime has given me like 400 dollars worth of games this year because I already had Amazon Prime

As a stand-alone service it'd be eh but with Prime it's an Ez value

If you hate the launcher just delete it after you get the games

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year, stay safe and never tolerate the intolerable, my friends. Hope all your dreams and memes come true.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Happy new years everyone!

Steamera died this year so that PCgamingera could live.

Hopefully everyone plays nice as we welcome EpicGamesStoreEra to the family in 2019.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Well looking back at the year the only games I completed where the 2 Picross games on the switch. In fact the last game I completed must have been Steam World Dig 2 or Nier Automata.

So played:-

God of War - got bored of it. Enjoyed the story side of it but not so much the gameplay.
Spiderman - Was enjoying it, until I kind of got bored of it. Think I burnt myself out by doing all of the tower quests in one go. Will go back to that one at some point.
Zelda Breath of The Wild - like God of War, just got bored.
Assassins Creed Syndicate - got bored of it about 10 hours in, but will probably go back as I enjoyed playing as Evie, brother was a bore though.
Recore - grabbed this in the recent sale and been enjoying it.
Sundered - Really enjoying this, except for the insistance of no fast travel. It's the only thing stopping me going back to it more often.
Celeste - played it for a couple of hours today. Really enjoying it but also ready to tear my controller apart, mainly down to my aging reflexes.

Still to play from the sales/recent purchases

Gris - Just not got around to playing this one yet. Will have a go either tomorrow or at the weekend.
Heroine Anthem Zero - Somebody recommended this as an OK metroid/castlevania game so thought I would give it a shot.

Only game I can see myself grabbing in the near future is RE2 remake. Unfortunately money is going to be tight for these next few months.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Year, SteamEra
There's a thread on the whole ugly saga.

You can make your own judgments, but I'd say the action here was warranted and Stardock has nobody but themselves to blame.
Thanks for the link. I had totally missed this story. Stardock comes across incredibly dumb and arrogant here. It's good see the old devs are being heard by the courts (shame they needed a GoFundMe campaign to receive some basic justice).

Last edited:

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Well the day I dreaded seems to be coming. The scroll wheel seems to be crapping out on my Logitech G9 mouse. I can't even remember how long I have been using it because I couldn't bear to part with it. I don't want to break the bank (< $80) but do you folks have any mouse recommendations that are similar size and form factor?

Take a look at the Logitech G403, it has a great sensor, is lightweight and I like the shape, only issue was actually a rattling mousewheel but if you get one that was made recently it shouldn't be a problem. Different than the G9 which I used for a long time too but you'll have trouble finding something similar. Maybe the Razer Basilisk.

Last edited:
Happy New Year - Frohes Neues!
Man, I had to work today and got up early, I'm ready to go to bed already, but they are partying quite hard next me. :O

The first game I want to play this year is FAR Lone Sails, hopefully this weekend. I'd like to finish it in one session.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Take a look at the Logitech G403, it has a great sensor, is lightweight and I like the shape, only issue was actually a rattling mousewheel but if you get one that was made recently it shouldn't be a problem. Different than the G9 which I used for a long time too but you'll have trouble finding something similar. Maybe the Razer Basilisk.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Oct 25, 2017
I "finished" 26 games this year, though about five of them were beaten on 3DS or Switch.

Between trying to explore the medium of film, getting acquainted with Street Fighter, and a couple of longer games keeping my attention (looking at you, Okami, and I haven't even beaten you yet), I played significantly fewer games than last year.

My first priorities for games to start or finish next year are:

• Okami HD
  • Sonic Mania
  • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
  • Crash N. Sane Trilogy
  • Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors, and Battle Circuit
  • Disneyland Adventures
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Assorted Switch games I've picked up over the last month or so (Tropical Freeze, Arms, Bayonetta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.