• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
after that dragon age announcement i kind of really want to play dragon age inquisition now

like people told me it was bad a while ago and i kind of believed them but i duno....
I beat it at release and would call it horrible. And yet... I have a dark impulse to replay it, this time with the Trespasser DLC. I heard some stuff on Waypoint's most recent Friday pod that convinced me it's worth doing. Bioware's games have a strange, intoxicating effect on me, it seems.

But yeah, having spoiled myself, I don't think it'd be worth playing without that Trespasser DLC; that's where the payoff is.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
after that dragon age announcement i kind of really want to play dragon age inquisition now

like people told me it was bad a while ago and i kind of believed them but i duno....

I'm playing it right now, about to conclude the last DLC

If i have to sum it up it's like a nice wine that has been splattered on a big table and you have to drink it with your tongue

Try to find a spoilerless chronological walkthrough if you want to play it

UI and inventory management is atrocious imo and there's no mod for it (playing M&K)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the notion of gamer entitlement in these situations. In my mind it's a straightforward relationship between developer and customer. The developer makes a game, decides on which platforms to release it on based on customer metrics and available funds, does marketing to let customers know about the game and tries to convince customers to buy it. The customer learns about the game and decides whether or not to buy it based on a variety of factors including interest in the game, available platforms, pricing and timing.

So once upon a time Dark Souls was only available on consoles. I let Namco Bandai know through the means available to me that a) I was interested in the game and b) that I wanted to play it on PC because that is the gaming platform that I prefer. Was that entitlement on my part? The developer isn't entitled to my business any more than I am entitled to their product.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

I wanted to do a thread titled "Why PC Launcher fractionization is hell for developers."

basically: the more PC Launchers there are, the more it will cost developers to "port" their games to all these launchers. (if the Launcher War really gets us more competition without launcher exclusives)
If you are a dev that relies on launcher specific API's or functionality, if you have a Multiplayer game, it will be hell to give your customers the same experience or even cross-play functionality over all these launchers.

Remember No Man's sky and their several weeks long delay of Multiplayer in the GoG Version? Expect to see more of it.

Even Mod-Support could be going downhill if there is no universal modding functionality.
*This mod will only work with Steam, GoG, and Itch.io Versions
* Epic and Discord user are currently not supported.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to do a thread titled "Why PC Launcher fractionization is hell for developers."

basically: the more PC Launchers there are, the more it will cost developers to "port" their games to all these launchers. (if the Launcher War really gets us more competition without launcher exclusives)
If you are a dev that relies on launcher specific API's or functionality, if you have a Multiplayer game, it will be hell to give your customers the same experience or even cross-play functionality over all these launchers.

Remember No Man's sky and their several weeks long delay of Multiplayer in the GoG Version? Expect to see more of it.

Even Mod-Support could be going downhill if there is no universal modding functionality.
*This mod will only work with Steam, GoG, and Itch.io Versions
* Epic and Discord user are currently not supported.

Yep, that's another issue I highlighted, and one that is often overlooked. It's crazy that PC games, which were supposed to run on everything, now needs multiple SKUs.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Inquisition is good if you dont fall into a completionist or min-maxing habbit . The game throws enough XP your way you will max your character long before the end, so be picky and only do the quest that sounds interesting - there is still alot of game there.
Also in my opinion, the Tresspasser DLC that book-ends the whole thing is the best That dragon age ever been .

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
It is difficult with the younglings. Ive got some small nieces and found that my little mini SNES was a good option for just a bit of old school gaming fun. They liked Mario Kart (mostly driving off track and being silly) and strangely they liked Street Fighter as i taught them some of the special moves which when they could do them they found hilarious.
yeah i thought about a mini snes but honestly i only see him like once a week so i'd rather just play whatever goof he comes up with

unless hes prone to lose stuff a lot, maybe try and find a cheap refurb handheld or something?
oh anything fragile like that won't last a week lol

I'm playing it right now, about to conclude the last DLC

If i have to sum it up it's like a nice wine that has been splattered on a big table and you have to drink it with your tongue

Try to find a spoilerless chronological walkthrough if you want to play it

UI and inventory management is atrocious imo and there's no mod for it (playing M&K)
thanks for all the responses, tho this one about licking wine off a table is my favorite

how did u know that was my fetish

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gave some kudos to Ubi GhostTricks thread:

Imo, Ubisoft deserves some kudos for their PC efforts. You would think they would just leave Steam and make their games exclusives to UPlay. Nope. They have even implemented more stuff to their recent Steam releases like achievements and cards. Optimization is getting better for each release too. You can buy their games on Steam, UPlay, Origin and key sites. They also have lots of features and their client is very good. Features like experience points, gold coins etc.

The UPlay overlay is also really great. It includes weekly challenges in lots of games, like Siege where the challenges have made me try other weapons, classes and completing them gives me more XP and credits for stuff.

UPlay is imo the 2nd best client after Steam and I really like it and the fact that Ubi is very supportive of the open PC ecosystem is great.

A pic I found of the UPlay overlay. It actaully gives meaning to the games you play and if Ubi gave me the option to not use Uplay which meant no UPlay overlay if I own the game on Steam, I would have it turned on.

Simply put, Uplay is great, it is supportive of the openess of the PC plattform and the UPlay overlay is fantastic and actually has tons of cool stuff that gives the games more stuff.

xsjt40cvauey.png

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not ever going to forget Ubisoft's foray into always-online PC games, and y'all shouldn't either.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HkJgpA5.png

zjfd1Ye.png

welp

Also shit fighter with in game ads lmao.
'You'll be begging us to bring that rootkit back'

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hi gaf Era, long time lurker, posting here just to say hello.
It's a slow day, so why not start somewhere, eh? I've only been hanging around since... I don't remember, but E3 Konami 2010 at the very least, that sure is one thing I remember. No I'm not indecisive at all.

I like gaming and PCs because it keeps me warm during winter. I've heard that I can find Epic Animes around here, so I'll participate a bit, I guess.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland

Hell yeah, the FFXV DLSS demo already looked amazing and boosted performance considerably. Will try this asap.

Inquisition is good if you dont fall into a completionist or min-maxing habbit . The game throws enough XP your way you will max your character long before the end, so be picky and only do the quest that sounds interesting - there is still alot of game there.
Also in my opinion, the Tresspasser DLC that book-ends the whole thing is the best That dragon age ever been .

I had quite some fun with Inquisition. Just don't expect a fully fledged out CRPG. It's more like a lesser Mass Effect in a fantasy setting.

Despite playing like 50 hours of it, I don't really remember much of the story. Is it still worth it reinstalling just to play the Tresspasser DLC? I got all the DLC with my Origin premier subscription.

Great summary of all the recent madness that went down. Thanks for posting!

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I know they are trying something different in the Front Mission universe but man this is not what people wanted or asked for. Game looks like a cheap knock off of MGS which they are clearly going for. From what I've heard of people who got to preview it as well at TGS, it really is as under baked as it looks sadly. All the delays don't seem to have done much for it maybe.

I guess that's true yeah. The sad part is the gameplay could never hope to match MGSV in fluidity or anything like that, but personally I am hoping it will have a likeable story to carry me through!

It's a slow day, so why not start somewhere, eh? I've only been hanging around since... I don't remember, but E3 Konami 2010 at the very least, that sure is one thing I remember. No I'm not indecisive at all.

I like gaming and PCs because it keeps me warm during winter. I've heard that I can find Epic Animes around here, so I'll participate a bit, I guess.

Welcome to PC Era, grats on your first post.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Hello!

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Another day, Artifact bleeds more users and gets worse reviews on steam, feels amazing man :)

Think of the monetization and game content what you will but the card game itself is quite excellent. The problem is that there are no hooks or progression so you gotta make your own fun right now.

A new patch is already announced for tomorrow so I'm confident they'll keep improving on it.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Despite playing like 50 hours of it, I don't really remember much of the story. Is it still worth it reinstalling just to play the Tresspasser DLC? I got all the DLC with my Origin premier subscription.
Its short and sweet but i wouldn't play all dozens hours of the main game again . if you have a post game save though, sure .
It will pump you out for a sequal that will only come years in the future though .

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Think of the monetization and game content what you will but the card game itself is quite excellent. The problem is that there are no hooks or progression so you gotta make your own fun right now.

A new patch is already announced for tomorrow so I'm confident they'll keep improving on it.

Fuck that, I want to Artifact to get zero players and that negative red on its page. You can't make money out of people if nobody's playing it.

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017

I posted this elsewhere, but I think they would have been smart to go with the LCG design over CCG and focus more on other things surrounding the game itself rather than the market / tickets / packs. Also I think this because I've been against loot boxes for ages and card packs are clearly just gameplay-influencing loot boxes once I stepped back from my love of Magic.

But, people play Magic just for fun all the time - there's no "progression" or anything. But, Magic, being a physical CCG, lends itself to casual play very easily, which is where singleton and commander etc. all came from. Artifact is just always Artifact and you can't use proxies and the card pool isn't significant enough yet to do too many for-fun setups with people, plus doing that at a game store is easier than with randoms online.

I don't think Artifact is a bad game by any means, but I don't think it's bleeding users just because of the way it's monetized (that itself keeps the players down to those already into CCGs or spending money on other card games I imagine from the start). They added phantom draft as a last-minute thing amidst tons of feedback and they really need more freeform / fun modes if they want to stick with the CCG thing (which again, I think is a mistake, but I'm sure it's making them tons of money right now).

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think a thread about 2000-2009 era PC gaming could be great? Talk about all the nonsense of no-cd patches, shady looking websites for patches, early attempts invasive DRM, etc.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to PC Era!

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
For Science! https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/winter-mystery-bundle

Reddit have gotten a few good games like Mafia 3, A King's Bird and Civ 5 but it looks to be mostly a crap chute.
Bought five and I don't want any of them lol. So about as expected.

Charlie's Adventures, Cube Runner, Alwas Awakening, Callys Caves 4 and Layers of Fear which literally everyone owns by now. The best thing about it is that I got a 15% off coupon for my next order as well.

Help yourself, Steam PC Era

edit: that hide tag didn't work properly it seems. I'll give them away in the Discord instead. Sorry folks

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Bought five and I don't want any of them lol. So about as expected.

Charlie's Adventures, Cube Runner, Alwas Awakening, Callys Caves 4 and Layers of Fear which literally everyone owns by now. The best thing about it is that I got a 15% off coupon for my next order as well.

Help yourself, Steam PC Era

edit: that hide tag didn't work properly it seems. I'll give them away in the Discord instead. Sorry folks

The hide tag shows for people who have posted in the thread and hides for people who didn't. I think.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if I picked DA:O back up if I could figure out how to play it again. I was in the Deep Roads and it was the last major area left from all of the initial places you can go. I don't think I could get myself to play the whole game again. Perhaps with the Fade mod, but even then it's a pretty big undertaking.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

HI!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I picked DA:O back up if I could figure out how to play it again. I was in the Deep Roads and it was the last major area left from all of the initial places you can go. I don't think I could get myself to play the whole game again. Perhaps with the Fade mod, but even then it's a pretty big undertaking.
Aside from added skills, combat in DAO stays pretty similar throughout the game. You'd probably suffer a few defeats as you remember how it works, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to get back into.

And the story was never terribly coherent so don't worry about that too much; just enjoy the ride.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
What's up with Nvidia drivers these days? I had my PC in a box since September when I moved, but finally took it out and updated the drivers. Many of my games crash when I put them at 4k 60hz fullscreen. I had to try 4 different driver versions and ended up on 416.94 from early November before things started working again.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from added skills, combat in DAO stays pretty similar throughout the game. You'd probably suffer a few defeats as you remember how it works, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to get back into.

And the story was never terribly coherent so don't worry about that too much; just enjoy the ride.

Is Awakening essential? I've heard it's hard.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ever going to forget Ubisoft's foray into always-online PC games, and y'all shouldn't either.
It doesn't have to zero-sum. Uplay can be good, but we still hold Ubisoft to the fire for their past mistakes, even though they seemed to have learned from that particular one pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.