• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Left Alive's engine is either UE4 or Orochi. SE has built third-person shooters in Orochi before and still use the engine recently as in WoFF.

I guess it could also be Orochi's successor, Mizuchi, which at this moment is exclusive to PC and PS4 development which might explain Left Alive skipping other platforms...

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Okay, interesting.

I'm just somewhat weirded out that there is this game from a huge publisher that's 3 months away and that apparently a lot of people really want to play and here I am hearing about it for the first time ever.

And also it looks really generic and boring to me.

I'm pretty sure the only reason it's got hype is because Yoji Shinkawa is doing the character and mech designs (he did the character and mech designs for the MGS series). I mean, that's why i was even mildly interested.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
i really wish they just made front mission 6 instead...

Thirded.

I would love to have the entire series on PC. Along with maybe plenty of other mech games which probably won't ever be released in the west. Coincidentally, the other night I tried to play Front Mission 1 on the Switch build of RetroArch for an hour and it seems to run full speed, although I was having heaps of audio crackles.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I humbly submit Jurassic Park Evolution- a PC game you can't even remap your mouse controls for in 2018 that says its a park simulator, but the economy has no effect whatsoever. Can't even change the color of the goddamn buildings.

Fuck that worthless tie in garbage, and fuck Frontier Games and all the people who said "hey, trust them! look how good Planet Coaster has turned out after years of padding!"

Jawmuncher hold dat L

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I humbly submit Jurassic Park Evolution- a PC game you can't even remap your mouse controls for in 2018 that says its a park simulator, but the economy has no effect whatsoever. Can't even change the color of the goddamn buildings.

Fuck that worthless tie in garbage, and fuck Frontier Games and all the people who said "hey, trust them! look how good Planet Coaster has turned out after years of padding!"

What I saw of it seemed very basic for a park sim like that but it's at least a functional game, while F76 is a bad game and barely works. That's clearly going to win any worst game list easily.

When is the Steam Winter sale?

20th

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Thirded.

I would love to have the entire series on PC. Along with maybe plenty of other mech games which probably won't ever be released in the west. Coincidentally, the other night I tried to play Front Mission 1 on the Switch build of RetroArch for an hour and it seems to run full speed, although I was having heaps of audio crackles.
front mission 1 is so damn good, i want square to rerelease that ds version with the extra scenarios on some fucking platform

i pretty much have them all at this point -.-

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea what left alive was but I saw the trailer the other day and all the stealth stuff looked fun. But all the comments in the thread said it looked terrible so 🤷‍♂️

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea what left alive was but I saw the trailer the other day and all the stealth stuff looked fun. But all the comments in the thread said it looked terrible so 🤷‍♂️

It looked pretty decent, but the stealth action and the Shinkawa artwork really draws the MGS comparison and that's hard to live up to, especially with a lower budget.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It looked pretty decent, but the stealth action and the Shinkawa artwork really draws the MGS comparison and that's hard to live up to, especially with a lower budget.

I dunno. As long as the game feels complete story wise and doesn't get too repetitive, it'll be better than MGSV in my book.

And I say that as someone who put 180 hours into MGSV. Good game play, terrible unfinished story. :/

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
People who completed Mutant Year, what difficulty did you wind up going with? I need to get back to it and I'm trying to decide if I should start over on normal even though I've put a bunch of time in.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Juju is a curious little platformer.
It is easy for thr most part and i didnt find the main stages challenging tho boss fights are ok
I dont like the lengthy stages which average at 5 minutes ti beat and would prefer them being shorter
Despite that it is a good 'baby's first 2d platformer' and the visuals are nice.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who completed Mutant Year, what difficulty did you wind up going with? I need to get back to it and I'm trying to decide if I should start over on normal even though I've put a bunch of time in.

Normal. Anything higher and the game is incredibly poorly balanced and feels like it's meant for a 4 person squad but you're capped at 3 unless I really missed something. Around halfway through it becomes insanely difficult to win any battle because stealth is no longer an option when the weakest enemies have 24 HP and your 3 stealth weapons do like 16-18 damage. That's not counting the other enemies which can get into the 30-40hp range AND have 2+ armor slots too.

All normal changes that I noticed was refilling your health and power use after every battle, which admittedly makes a huge difference. For example with powers recharging you can use the hog rush move every battle which will give you an extra turn to take something out in stealth.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No one told me how well DQXI seems to run. I heard there were performance issues in the first city but that held at a pretty steady 60fps for me at 1440p/all settings turned up. A few hiccups here and there but nothing that noticeable.
Dq11 runs fine on my gtx 970m.

What draconian challenges have u turned on? Stronger enemies really change up the game.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Normal. Anything higher and the game is incredibly poorly balanced and feels like it's meant for a 4 person squad but you're capped at 3 unless I really missed something.

All normal changes that I noticed was refilling your health and power use after every battle, which admittedly makes a huge difference.

Absolutely, having to hunt down scrap for health packs is a big deal on hard. I'm currently at
the second priest guy, after the one guarding the ship
and I've cleared the area of stragglers, visited all the other optional areas to gather whatever scrap and items I can without getting into combat (because they are all level 25 and level 20 is still plenty hard) and now I have to figure out the right way to beat it. But I'm worried about what happens after that.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I was going to start playing Mutant after Ashen, does normal get challenging later on as a lot of people we're saying it was an absolute cakewalk the first few hours which is no fun at all.

Someone buy Lucius 3 please

Edit: nvm derrick's post goes into detail

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I only turned on the harder enemies. Everything else seemed like it would hurt enjoyment of the game.
For a first time playthru yeah they can be intimidating. The no shops option is worth it on a replay once uve gotten the hang of the forge.
If u want some tips, max out knives for erik to learn duel wielding ans get the poison attack abiliry. This makes a certain boss more.manageable. for the hero i liked going with greatswords as he learns a useful attack early on

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
It's kind of a shame we can't get Erik to dual wield different weapons. His damage output with endgame sword/dagger weapon recipes could've been phenomenal.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
kind of undecided if i'll do ng+ with bloodborne. the game's pretty good but also all the bosses suck and this game locks you pretty hard to a single weapon so i think it'd probably be better to start over, but then i'd rather just play something else i guess. it's a real shame didn't keep the ability from dark souls 2 to revive bosses, that shit was the best, wouldn't have to go through the whole game to fight maria the only good boss again.

maybe i'll actually play ladykiller in a bind to completion this time

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wait we can see Top Wihslisted games on Steam?

p96815j.png

Kinda shocked to see Bannerlord on there with all of these other huge AAA games.

Though I suppose we're all hungry for Bannerlord, no matter how long it takes.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 stripping character diversity to nearly nil all while sporting significantly more linear areas in general is a real bummer. 2 had problems with bloat and inconsistent visuals but it did so much right with character builds, dual welding, and so on.

Bloodborne is at least visually appealing and full of incredible designs whereas half of Dark Souls 3 is rehashes of the first game. Remember quite liking the bosses too tho so can't speak on that.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I actually enjoyed DS3 the most, then DS1, and DS2 was just a mess for me - only started liking it during the last 3rd.

Bloodborne the world is amazing imo, and that is important for me.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
my order would be dark 1 > demons > dark 2 > bloodborne > dark 3

i don't dislike dark 3 or bloodborne, i just find them both to be a lot less creative. the bloodborne universe is really intriguing and transforming weapons never get old but they don't do anything interesting with the npcs, or the covenants, or the beast mechanic they hint at and turns out to be nothing. you can't even be invaded in bloodborne and insight is cool in theory but also has very little importance in the end. like even if it departs quite a bit from the formula it feels like it's following some sort of script that i'm pretty tired of at this point

that's why i like dark souls 2 so much regardless of how rough it is, it just tried so many different things, had a billion different areas and bosses and while little about it really lands it just dared to try shit out and surprise you

it's also more rpg-y which i prefer compared to bloodborne's more action gameplay. i like more weapons and customization and i want magic and whatnot

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
What is everyone playing for Christmas? I'm doing a playthrough of The Long Dark right now, which sets the mood perfectly.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to skip on Below for now and got Return of the Obra Dinn instead.
I'm three hours in and it's pretty fantastic so far. The game feels really fresh and unique, has lots of surprises, some true WTF-moments and a great soundtrack. It's also beautiful in motion. The game is structured really clever with all the deductions you can make based on dialogue, nationality, name, clothing and so on.
Although at first I felt kinda overwhelmed after the first tutorial bit when it opens up. But when you stick to it and further play through the next chapters you will make progress.

The core gameplay feels a bit like a more elaborate Ghost Trick and that's one of my alltime favorites.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am still playing RDR2 slowly. And I will probably play just that for the rest of the year. I just roam around and enjoy looking at beautiful world and meeting interesting characters.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This is honestly the first time I'm seeing any material from RDR2. I guess it looks all right!

When is it releasing on PC? Can't Epic moneyhat them for a quicker release?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Hey guys, I recently slightly upgraded my pc with new CPU and DDR4, so for those who might be curious to see if there any significant difference in performance on the same GPU, here I come with some of my examples.

Before: i5-3570k, 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
After: i5-8600k, 16gb DDR4 3200mhz

Baseline - 4K resolution, no overclock and just a GTX 1080ti as GPU.

In the first example, we can see that CPU is actually making a huge difference, AC Odyssey on everything at high except volumetric clouds on medium:
5C9B4AEB271B7ADC323E5110BB078012800E001F

So yeah, it's just confirmed statement that CPU and faster RAM is really important in open-world games. But in the second example, we can see that not all games will fully utilize CPU advantage and mostly GPU bound, Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything on highest and SMAA T2x:
EC5A2457DAC9FCA9F2AD58D6C2E32012251E0ACF
0AC4FE2358AC07D04AE09DED247CEE35360A901D

So I can confirm it really depends on the game. If you are not going to play openworld games and have decent enough CPU, it might be worth to just upgrade GPU and wait as long as you could tolerate frame drops before upgrading the rest. Problem is, most of the modern AAA junk is openworld now, so if you are still rocking 2000-4000 intel gen it will be hard to ignore the upgrade for longer. I honestly wanted to wait for whatever next after 9000 series in intel pockets, but I had to get new PC ASAP so I've upgraded now instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.