• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Whew. Yeah, lots of people who seemingly only follow the headlines on Valve instead of using Steam posting heated opinions about this. Should update that Paper Mario meme but replace "games" with PC services. There are plenty of issues with Steam, but it's not the anti-developer hellscape some of these threads make it seem like.

Epic's strategy is certainly clever. They talk about features that they don't have and then try to explain why they're supposedly bad. 🤔

Except they're mostly negatives for consumers. Once the games are there, they will come is the idea, I guess.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wouldn't this just cause people to quickly spam the forum with some bullshit post, to nab codes? It seems to set a strange incentive. I liked the rule with old modbot where it was "five posts in this thread or the one before".
Maybe by the time Era 3.0 rolls win, we will have the necessary forum technology for that ( together with flying cars and miniaturized jetpacks).

Maybe. I'm sure Orange won't mind more people complimenting him on his "nice threads", though. :p

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Targeting teenagers or even worse younger population than that, that has no disposable income or personal credit cards is wrong. Not to mention that it will be hard to sell 12 year old 5h long indie game for 20$ when all it previously played was free 1000h game.
Clearly with the financial success Fortnite has seen there are a lot of paying customers with enough income to spend. Just because the kids are the most vocal crowd doesn't mean there are no adults playing the game.

The problem with trying to capitalize on the Fortnite audience is that if you are heavily invested into any GaaS game, you don't usually play many other games. But if they do play other stuff is very likely that they already have a Steam account.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly with the financial success Fortnite has seen there are a lot of paying customers with enough income to spend. Just because the kids are the most vocal crowd doesn't mean there are no adults playing the game.

The problem with trying to capitalize on the Fortnite audience is that if you are heavily invested into any GaaS game, you don't usually play many other games. But if they do play other stuff is very likely that they already have a Steam account.
Yeah the issue I see with the Fortnite community is that people are there to play fortnite, not other games. Other big gaming communities tried to do the store thing and failed hard, with both Twitch (and now Discord I guess) trying and failing.

If you are in them, you are not there to buy games or play other games, you are there to watch / play some Fortnite.

Still, some of the views on the shop really make me wonder who they are really targeting as customer. They pretty much have announced 0 features for the customers and if the UI is the same as the UE4 store we are in for some shit UI. I guess they really believe they have the audience (as the comment from Sergey a month or so above about the number of unique players using fortnite launcher being above steam) but I dont think they realized that you need to have people transform from fortnite to epic store.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I don't know. Millions of people only joined Steam to play TF2/DOTA2, but I'm sure a lot of them continue to be regular Steam customers.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Even $18 it too much for THAT (and no regional price of course)

ss_65ef6d076445a76e5a4c4cf688991636afb193ea.jpg

is out (with demo)

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Freja and the False Prophecy looks like it could be a decent title. It's a locally made game, so I gotta do my part. Only a handful get made here, hopefully it'll be a more of a Broforce in terms of success, instead of a Vicious Attack Lama Apocalypse, which admittedly is a decent game, it just sold nothing.

I am skeptical that they'll reach their funding goal however. Also the release date is 2022, and they only want 22K U$D. I don't know, I feel like they haven't thought this through.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Freja and the False Prophecy looks like it good be a decent title. It's a locally made game, so I gotta do my part. Only a handful get made here, hopefully it'll be a more of a Broforce in terms of success, instead of a Vicious Attack Lama Apocalypse, which admittedly is a decent game, it just sold nothing.

I am skeptical that they'll reach their funding goal however. Also the release date is 2022, and they only want 22K U$D. I don't know, I feel like they haven't thought this through.

You can embedd KS links via the Media button now ;)

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
And here I thought December was going to be a quite month release-wise. Silly me. A lot of stuff I want (Battle Princess Madelyn, Desert Child, Gris, Ashen, Below, Bladed Fury, Aeon of Sands just to name a few) but I also want to save some money for the winter sale.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
OK, so it's old and looks ugly, but is it good?

Could you elaborate? Is this good for a DW noob?
It's simple yet challenging just like any Musou by Omega Force. Just don't start on Normal difficulty though.

I just read online that Dynatsy Warriors 7 has a more coherent story compared to 8.

According to the Steam page, this version has all the additional scenarios plus weapons and outfits, plus songs from previous Dynasty Warriors games.

The game also has dual audio (English and Japanese).

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Big The Crew 2 update.

Can't blame Ubi for ever giving up on their bombas.

But seriously, some great and needed improvements, will boot it up again.

---

I'll be there day one but it looks reallllyyy dark. And I feel a bit bad for dev dude, he sounds kinda down and defeated, obviously knows this thing took waaaay too long and is just happy to be finally finished. Hope it turned out alright, not sure what to think of it even after the video.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Big The Crew 2 update.

Can't blame Ubi for ever giving up on even their bombas.

Hmm. The floaty/rubbery physics and collision system were my least favorite parts of The Crew 2. Only played during alpha & beta though. Not too psyched about a mode that puts it front and center, but it looks like these systems got an overhaul in this update. Good on Ubi for doing their usual thing. I liked the first a lot, so I'll give this one a shot too eventually.

WALL-RIDING & WALL-BOUNCING IMPROVEMENTS

With the introduction of the Live Battle PVP mode, it was important for us - in addition to our current efforts on the leaderboards cleaning - to develop a fair competitive experience to all players. To do so, the dev team has been working on an update of the vehicle collision model (see below for more information), which includes an important focus on the impact of obstacles to your vehicle speed and behavior. Indeed, where it was sometimes more effective to bounce head-on off a wall or slide along it thanks to limited friction, the game will now encourage players to use the best trajectories to get the best results. We will continue to improve this model through further updates.

COLLISIONS & DAMAGE MODELS

With this improved collision model, we also reworked the behavior of vehicles when bumping into static elements or traffic. Our objective is to offer a more realistic behavior that would offer a coherent reaction based on the impact source and strength. For instance, traffic cars' behavior following a hit will be more predictable and should no longer overlap the player's vehicle. We also improved the deformation model to better reflect player's driving style and reduced dramatically the crash cam occurrences, along with a reduction of the Back-on-Track time. Vehicles will automatically repair over time when not being hit or whenever you join an event.

Sounds promising.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
edit: nvm you saw it already

Also new illumination system, you couldn't see fuck all in some races because your lights had a range of about 1 meter.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
edit: nvm you saw it already

Also new illumination system, you couldn't see fuck all in some races because your lights had a range of about 1 meter.

Ahah, yeah updated my post after I scrolled down the patch notes some more :p Reminds me a bit of what they did with the first game and the Wild Run update.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
About Store Traffic to Games in October

We wanted to address some concerns we've heard from a few developers about store traffic to their games in October. Back then, after some developers let us know about the issue, we did some investigation, found a bug in one widget, and pushed out a fix a few days later (along with making some tweaks to the algorithm for that widget).

Here's the history of what happened:

On October 5th, we deployed some code to Steam that changed the defaults for our search queries to factor in sales and wishlist activity more than before. This change was meant to fix an issue where customers would search for a game, but that game would be much lower in the search results than other less relevant games.

This change had the unintended side-effect of de-boosting tags in the "More Like This" section on a game's store page. What that meant was that instead of seeing products similar to the game, you saw games that shared just one tag in common, but were effectively the most popular games on Steam. This isn't how we wanted that feature to work.

On October 9th, to fix the issue, we changed the algorithm for the "More Like This" section to increase the boost on tag similarity. However, we still kept a part of the change that factored in sales and wishlist popularity. On October 30th, we increased the weighting of tag-similarity again based on the results we were seeing.

To compound matters, from October 10-17, we were also running an experiment in the same "More Like This" section to test out a new algorithm which we hoped would be more effective in showing customers games that we think they would be interested in. This experiment ended up showing fewer products to a subset of customers, which led to a decrease in overall impressions in that area.

As a result, overall impressions and views for the "More Like This" section did show a substantial decrease for about two weeks after the initial bug. But traffic recovered around October 19th, and has stabilized since.

In general, we're always trying to show games to customers that we think they will enjoy, no matter who made them, what the budget was, when they came out, etc. We're constantly exploring ideas and trying new things to try to figure out the best ways to do this. The fact is, traffic is going to shift whenever we do this work; it may go up or it may go down for any individual product. However, not all impressions and views are equal – in the end, what matters is that we show customers games that they find interesting.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and singed up to Fanatical to get that bundle. Even if I only wanted AoD and Shadowrun:HK it's worth it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
GMG sent me 20% off for Mutant Year Zero. Anyone played it and can tell if it's worth it?

I have many thoughts about Duck Boar Xcom. Many are rant-y.

I have 12 hours played according to steam, 4 or 5 of those were spent restarting the game several times.

That being said, when it finally clicked and I got over the initial weird slump, I think that it is indeed worth it.

I can go into detail if you want, but be warned, it will be rambly and rant-y because I dont know how else to express my frustrations with some stuff in that game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
4A3A9072923DA3994DF31D37D70D35BAC103BC2A

Played some Dynasty Warrios 7 XL and visually...yeah what you see is what you get lol. There's pop in and much of the models don't look all that impressive.
I do like the gameplay on hard though and I get to whack people with a freaking tennis racket while some nice rock music is playing in the background so it was a nice purchase for me :P Gonna aim to finish up the main game mode at least, too much Musou isn't healthy but it's good to play from time to time

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I have many thoughts about Duck Boar Xcom. Many are rant-y.

I have 12 hours played according to steam, 4 or 5 of those were spent restarting the game several times.

That being said, when it finally clicked and I got over the initial weird slump, I think that it is indeed worth it.

I can go into detail if you want, but be warned, it will be rambly and rant-y because I dont know how else to express my frustrations with some stuff in that game.

Thanks. I bought it. Sometimes you gotta take chances.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. This month I'm gonna dedicate to all things Prey. I wanna start over and get back into it and complete the singleplayer. It scares the hell out of me, and my nerves can't take it, but I'll do it. And then buy the Mooncrash expansion cause it sounds right up my alley if it's a roguelike survival mode. And this new Typhon Hunter multiplayer mode did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.