• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm currently downloading MCC on the xbox app and it's 21.7 gb. with my shitty internet this is gonna take a whole day

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm relatively new to PC gaming so I now know not to use gamepass if I want to play something at launch. No need to try and clown people who would rather pay $10/month for Xbox titles instead of full price. If I pay money for something and can't access it then yes, it is a trainwreck.
sorry sorry

i just get really really riled up. the windows store makes me unreasonably angry because its such terrible garbage and every time ive ever had to use it i lose years of my life

i figure most people had heard of the nightmares that ensue from it and anyone going into it would know the (from my view) well known risks

which is clearly not the case outside of the more pc gaming centric threads (and i should know that because people still try to argue its good sometimes for some reason)

tl:dr when someone goes 'man this thing isnt working, this sucks' i go 'no shit its never worked why are you suprised' erroneously assuming they know its history instead of the better response of 'yeah sorry man that sucks'

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
sorry sorry

i just get really really riled up. the windows store makes me unreasonably angry because its such terrible garbage and every time ive ever had to use it i lose years of my life

i figure most people had heard of the nightmares that ensue from it and anyone going into it would know the (from my view) well known risks

which is clearly not the case outside of the more pc gaming centric threads (and i should know that because people still try to argue its good sometimes for some reason)

is the reason maybe that they have zero issues when they use it?

Oct 25, 2017
next-generation-unreal-yes-actual-pc-game-screenshot.jpg
Honestly for 97 that's really impressive.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
for the record i don't see any of the w10 store issues people talk about. i also have zero desire helping people solve their issues with w10 so i usually never say anything about it

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
So regarding the steam controller i read that it is very customizable but if i just want a plug a play experience will i be okay?
These days i don't feel like tinkering too much. I wonder if i should have just bought a classic controller.

It's not great for plug and play, but you can be done okay. There are a lot of games on Steam where other people have created their own custom configurations you can download in Steam Big Picture Mode to make it easier if you don't want to bother, even though I still personally recommend altering them a bit just to fit you better.

From the sounds of it though, you might be better off just saving up to get a more standard controller (Switch, Wii U, Playstation, Xbox One, etc). With them no longer in stock, you might even be able to sell the Steam Controller for a profit to afford one.

I hope Humble bundle will have also a sale , I have expiring wallet credit , valid only to the end of the year .

Even if they don't have a dedicated sale, since they usually wait until January or February, they usually have some good sales for some select titles or bundles leading into New Years.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
somebody should make a thread with a poll

-windows store has always worked for me, i have no issue with it
-windows store has had some minor issues but nothing thats kept me away
-windows store is a garbage fire, it needs to go away forever
-ive used windows store like once i dont know why anyone talks about it, positively or negatively

i would honestly love to know the results

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for the record i don't see any of the w10 store issues people talk about. i also have zero desire helping people solve their issues with w10 so i usually never say anything about it

w10 store/xbox app has a lot of stupid issues that I think even Microsoft don't know how to fix.

i got game pass ultimate for the first time the other day. i tried downloading crackdown 3, it keeps failing to start the download. i tried other games, same thing. i tried all the 'fixes' that i googled: resetting microsoft store, deleting files, reinstalling gaming services, etc, stuff like that. NONE of them worked.

how did I fix it? Settings > Storage > Choose where new content is saved > then I changed Files from HDD to SSD then back to HDD. it fucking worked lmao

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
somebody should make a thread with a poll

-windows store has always worked for me, i have no issue with it
-windows store has had some minor issues but nothing thats kept me away
-windows store is a garbage fire, it needs to go away forever
-ive used windows store like once i dont know why anyone talks about it, positively or negatively

i would honestly love to know the results

keep in mind, neither I nor most people I see saying they have no isses are saying you are lying about your issues. In fact, I usually just /shrug and go "I guess I lucked out?". But the opposite is usually not true, as your "I dont believe that is possible" proves lol.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
keep in mind, neither I nor most people I see saying they have no isses are saying you are lying about your issues. In fact, I usually just /shrug and go "I guess I lucked out?". But the opposite is usually not true, as your "I dont believe that is possible" proves lol.
yeah i mean anything i dont have a problem with i dont usually go around on message boards saying 'yep no problems here'

and yes im sure there are plenty of people that havent had issues (maybe even the majority!) regardless of my beliefs!

i also dont think you or anyone else is calling me a liar lol

i wasnt kidding about getting really riled up when talking about it!

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
It's not great for plug and play, but you can be done okay. There are a lot of games on Steam where other people have created their own custom configurations you can download in Steam Big Picture Mode to make it easier if you don't want to bother, even though I still personally recommend altering them a bit just to fit you better.

From the sounds of it though, you might be better off just saving up to get a more standard controller (Switch, Wii U, Playstation, Xbox One, etc). With them no longer in stock, you might even be able to sell the Steam Controller for a profit to afford one.

I feared that stock would run out at that price and i ordered one before fully researching (even though i personally ended up paying 30 euros because of shipping fees). I have read comments about it here from time to time, while reading more about it i realized it might require more tinkering than i am willing to do. I will try it for a bit and see how it goes.
Thank you for the answer.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
w10 store/xbox app has a lot of stupid issues that I think even Microsoft don't know how to fix.

i got game pass ultimate for the first time the other day. i tried downloading crackdown 3, it keeps failing to start the download. i tried other games, same thing. i tried all the 'fixes' that i googled: resetting microsoft store, deleting files, reinstalling gaming services, etc, stuff like that. NONE of them worked.

how did I fix it? Settings > Storage > Choose where new content is saved > then I changed Files from HDD to SSD then back to HDD. it fucking worked lmao
Time to try this because I have exhausted all other options. So annoyed with MS right now.

EDIT: Doesn't work. Been waiting months to play Reach again and I'm walled out due to incompetency.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i finished recore on game pass. solid 3.5/5 game. the core gameplay loop is pretty fun. took me about 13 hours.

EXCEPT the game crashes all the time. easily crashing about every other loadscreen. i'd probably give it a negative review if i owned it on steam.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
has anyone tried slay the spire on game pass?
the game crashes instantly unless i disable my antivirus entirely, which is weird. i tried gog version off a friend's account and that one worked fine with my antivirus running.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
has anyone tried slay the spire on game pass?
the game crashes instantly unless i disable my antivirus entirely, which is weird. i tried gog version off a friend's account and that one worked fine with my antivirus running.
Add it to your list of exceptions if you can.

I had a similar problem with the Steam version of Queen's Wish - The Conquerer. It would randomly crash after I loaded a save. Sometimes immediately, sometimes a bit later. But it always crashed.

Because I was running it fullscreen, I never saw my AV popping up to ask "HEY IS THIS A LEGIT PROGRAM???" so it'd eventually kill the process automatically.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Add it to your list of exceptions if you can.

I had a similar problem with the Steam version of Queen's Wish - The Conquerer. It would randomly crash after I loaded a save. Sometimes immediately, sometimes a bit later. But it always crashed.

Because I was running it fullscreen, I never saw my AV popping up to ask "HEY IS THIS A LEGIT PROGRAM???" so it'd eventually kill the process automatically.

is there a way to add the exe to the list of exceptions?
i can't even open the folder the game is in due to windows store locked down bullshit

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
is there a way to add the exe to the list of exceptions?
i can't even open the folder the game is in due to windows store locked down bullshit
Oh... Right. I forgot about that.

If you can't access the folder, I don't think so.

If your AV flagged it already, you might be able to mark it as benign; though that depends on how the AV handles it. In my AV's case (McAfee) it never popped up as a problem, because it was always trying to ask--while the game was running-- if it should be allowed first.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
yeah, expressing (not unwarranted!) skepticism as to whether ITVOG really fit into Valve's lineup and development structure is not a conspiracy theory
you said it much better than I could
Portal didn't fit into Valve's "lineup or development structure" either back at the time. Neither did Dota.

They seem to have more possibilities and freedom than ever so I can't see how that could be seen as a bad thing. After all, they don't exist for the sole purpose of creating entertainment for anyone specific.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i finished recore on game pass. solid 3.5/5 game. the core gameplay loop is pretty fun. took me about 13 hours.

EXCEPT the game crashes all the time. easily crashing about every other loadscreen. i'd probably give it a negative review if i owned it on steam.
As soon as I had to start grinding just to progress in the story I gave up. I don't remember having the game crash on me though.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
As soon as I had to start grinding just to progress in the story I gave up. I don't remember having the game crash on me though.

i never had to grind. unless you mean the part of the story where you are required to explore and gather more of the prismatic cores before being able to get to the final boss.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i never had to grind. unless you mean the part of the story where you are required to explore and gather more of the prismatic cores before being able to get to the final boss.
I can't imagine I was near the end, but yeah I needed more cores to progress.
This is why streaming won't be dominating anything for quite awhile. Way too many area's have poor connections to support it in a playable capacity.
Your target market doesn't need to be everyone for it to be a viable business.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
How is the full MCC port so far? Last time I played it (in the last flight) mic was always on and I couldn't move and crouch at the same time.
Not sure if that was in the recent flight or not, but there's a keybind for push-to-talk at least!

And as I mentioned in the other thread, you've actually never been able to move and crouch in Halo (unless you're jumping), but I do agree that it gets more noticeable when you're playing with mouse and keyboard as opposed to with a controller. The movement in general, I gotta say, feels somewhat weird with a keyboard/mouse because it's very clearly designed with a controller in mind.

Yes you also get music for CSGO (and stickers!)
Slight correction, you actually don't get any stickers. They're just part of a regular Halo-capsule that you either buy or wait for to drop in-game. ;)

If you just buy halo reach by itself how much does the collection get discounted?
No discount available at this moment, unfortunately. They haven't said whether they're going to introduce one later or not, but they might do so once the next one is on the horizon.

So regarding the steam controller i read that it is very customizable but if i just want a plug a play experience will i be okay?
These days i don't feel like tinkering too much. I wonder if i should have just bought a classic controller.
I wouldn't expect a plug and play experience, honestly. It has great functionality along with a wide range of possibilities but for me personally I always find something I want to change whenever I load an official preset or a community one. Whether it's some minor bindings or just sensitivity settings, I'll quickly change those and be done with it.

It's not much of a hassle but it's far from being plug and play in the same way an Xbox Controller is in my opinion.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if that was in the recent flight or not, but there's a keybind for push-to-talk at least!

And as I mentioned in the other thread, you've actually never been able to move and crouch in Halo (unless you're jumping), but I do agree that it gets more noticeable when you're playing with mouse and keyboard as opposed to with a controller. The movement in general, I gotta say, feels somewhat weird with a keyboard/mouse because it's very clearly designed with a controller in mind.

yea i think they didn't let you do it until halo 4. you had to stop moving then crouch and then you could walk. in halo 1 you can't crouch while walking to crouch.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I've had minor issues with the Microsoft Store. AOE2 had a popup where it said to check the store, and then the store would say reinstall. wouldn't do anything. Going to app settings and clicking reset fixed it. reset button just did something in like 5 seconds. I suspect its something to do with a license / encryption key getting messed up. Other than that, no major issues.

The Game Pass app though on PC, can be very slow for me. Very much a beta experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Portal didn't fit into Valve's "lineup or development structure" either back at the time. Neither did Dota.

They seem to have more possibilities and freedom than ever so I can't see how that could be seen as a bad thing. After all, they don't exist for the sole purpose of creating entertainment for anyone specific.
if you don't care about the specific sort of game Firewatch was and ITVOG looked to be than cool for you I guess

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Oh god MCC is so good. I just played my first match of SWAT in like 10 years, and it was just as fun as I remember it. I am playing the Game Pass version. Ran into the issue where you can't launch it from the Xbox app, and some audio glitches. Other than that it runs beautifully. Multiplayer was so silky smooth. I know this will only get better with time. I'm so happy. I grew up playing Halo; it's easily one of my favorite series of all time. And it just feels so good on PC. I'll be playing a lot of Halo the next few weeks months.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do I need to play multiplayer on Reach to get the best experience? i was just thinking of playing the single player campaign

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god MCC is so good. I just played my first match of SWAT in like 10 years, and it was just as fun as I remember it. I am playing the Game Pass version. Ran into the issue where you can't launch it from the Xbox app, and some audio glitches. Other than that it runs beautifully. Multiplayer was so silky smooth. I know this will only get better with time. I'm so happy. I grew up playing Halo; it's easily one of my favorite series of all time. And it just feels so good on PC. I'll be playing a lot of Halo the next few weeks months.
It feels so smooooooth. I've only played at the lowest graphics setting but honestly I like the clean looks lol. Sucks that there are no individual graphical settings, just three different presets.

I've noticed some bugs but nothing major. I got some rare campaign achievements without even touching the campaign. Achievement filters are not working either.

Can't tell if the sprint sound is a bug or not but it's really loud and disturbing. I don't think you hear when your opponent sprints but I could be wrong.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Played some Reach in 8K.

giphy.gif

Any way of removing the intro video files of the MS Store version of MCC?

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm remembering how much I dislike bloom in Reach, but I still managed to have some fun in multiplayer tonight. I'm just glad online works now.

Last edited:

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
do I need to play multiplayer on Reach to get the best experience? i was just thinking of playing the single player campaign
Nah the campaign is great. At least as I remember it. What I liked about it was that the levels were more open than in previous entries, so you could be more tactical and stuff. Great story too and a good entry point if you're new to Halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.