• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have to say Phoenix Point has turned out to be quite an abysmal disappointment: from absolute lack of content in regards to map and enemies, and godawful WP skill system that makes gameplay an absolute joke, and I am only mentioning the BIG things that make the game absolute avoid.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
if you don't care about the specific sort of game Firewatch was and ITVOG looked to be than cool for you I guess
I do care for them; I loved Firewatch and really appreciate the look of In the Valley of Gods, even if I don't know much about how it actually plays, or anything at all really.

But when it comes to creative work, I think it should be the creator's prerogative to chose what to work on, in addition to when and how.

Marc Laidlaw touched on this subject back when Half-Life 3 was supposedly leaked and put it better than I could. It's well worth a read:

Marc Laidlaw said:
Maybe because my background is in books, I have a different philosophy about how gaming culture in general has put so much emphasis on leaks and updates and wanting to know what's going on behind closed doors. I am very passionate as a reader about a few ongoing literary projects... To name one in particular, William T. Vollmann has been working on his Seven American Dreams projects for years. He stated early on that he planned to write seven of them, and he has been going about it very erratically. The latest one comes out tomorrow, which is why it's on my mind, but it has been a long haul since the previous one. But I am perfectly happy to receive these books when they are ready. I have never had the slightest need to know if he was halfway through the first draft, or had even written a single word. Whether he abandons the project unfinished, or writes on it without stopping for a decade, makes no difference to me. That's partly because I know there is no blueprint for creativity, and the factors that drive people to create are unpredictable. In the meantime, Vollmann has delivered a dozen other books unrelated to this cycle, and has kept himself busy. Maybe those were all necessary to replenish his creative well, to give him some different perspective he would need when he came to the next American Dreams book. These books are research heavy as well... maybe he needed time for that. I am speculating, and without much invested in my speculation, because it's really none of my business.

As someone who was at Valve when we were broken into and an unfinished version of Half-Life 2 stolen, I didn't understand the mentality at the time and I still don't. People's creative process is highly individual, and also highly personal. It is not improved in any way by others trying to see into it. I await eagerly the next installment of Dark Souls, I have been in love with the idea of the Last Guardian for years, and I am happy any time the creators feel they have something they want to show the world... but I have absolutely no interest in seeing unfinished work, or hearing about personal issues of the developers. So from my perspective, I am not a fan of leak culture. I respect creators to know best when their work is ready, and if they think it's never ready, I respect that too.

Source.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
After playing a few levels of Blood gotta agree with the comments I've seen online.

Game's hard.

Still fun tho.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I will say same thing I said in that other thread. From what i saw on Twitter Campo Santo devs are happy at Valve, and that's only thing that matters.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Halfway through my latest upgrade (still need RAM and CPU+cooler) This will be the first time I've ever had a "current-gen" system. Got a Logitech g502 and I'm trying to decide between an Ornata Chroma and an Orion Spark to go with it.

Am I the only one who has a soft spot for pre-Dell Alienware?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say Phoenix Point has turned out to be quite an abysmal disappointment: from absolute lack of content in regards to map and enemies, and godawful WP skill system that makes gameplay an absolute joke, and I am only mentioning the BIG things that make the game absolute avoid.
If only they had taken that money hat from papa Tim to improve the game.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Gears 5 is a full price game and has bad regional pricing in Europe. Halo is a $40 game, has no Euro regional pricing issues (it's €40) and you'll still have to wait for the full collection. And the Microsoft launcher is super awful. Steam is very attractive for this one.

Gears is also a single player franchise to some. Makes sense that people used a month (or even a free trial) of game pass for Gears but not Halo.

Sure, that too. My point is just that the launch numbers surely would've been higher if people weren't constantly having issues with their progress being saved or outright being able to even play at all.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Answering that would spoil the fun. :p

giphy.gif

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Darksiders.. What was the final verdict for the third game? Is it straight out bad or just a flawed game? I skipped it when the initial impressions hit but I kinda want to play a Darksiders game now.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Xcom 2 with the Steam Controller is the shit. Radial Menu mod switch for all my abilities, track pads to select where I'm going, joystick to look around, and the face buttons are almost superfluous. Super excited to open up the possibilities of this controller now that I actually have one.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Darksiders.. What was the final verdict for the third game? Is it straight out bad or just a flawed game? I skipped it when the initial impressions hit but I kinda want to play a Darksiders game now.

people in general seem to have come around on it the last few months after the middling reviews.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the best way to figure out if I need to upgrade much more than my GPU in order to play Cyberpunk maxed out at 1444p?

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
We still don't have any recommend specs to go off of for Cyberpunk 2077. We can't even use the demos they have had at shows as those were limited and without specifics.

You can guess off what it takes to run Witcher 3 at those settings, you can guess at a 1080ti and hope for the best, but that's all it is right now, guessing.

I always forget about the blog posts. Thank you.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the best way to figure out if I need to upgrade much more than my GPU in order to play Cyberpunk maxed out at 1444p?

Post what you have is a good first step, here and /or the PC builders thread.

Though maxed out at 1440p will likely be a tall order given CDPR tends to push things.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So Xcom 2 with the Steam Controller is the shit. Radial Menu mod switch for all my abilities, track pads to select where I'm going, joystick to look around, and the face buttons are almost superfluous. Super excited to open up the possibilities of this controller now that I actually have one.

Is radial menu on the workshop or a preser for the Steam controller? I tried to play it with the Steam controller but found it easier to play with m+k

Jul 26, 2018
So i've just received my $5 steam controller and already I see a little damage on the left thumb stick... wtf?

Holding it feels nice but oh boy it doesn't even feel like a $40 controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.