• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I've had this in my Steam library for years, but only booted it once and then never really messed around with it after that. Look like it might be time to change that. It says it has partial controller support. Any idea how playable the game is with a controller? Is it one of those games that absolutely needs keyboard and mouse to manage everything?
I bought it when it initially was only on Desura (yeah) and ran it once some years ago on Steam and back then controller support even with the Steam stuff was atrocious. No idea if that changed.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When's Disney going to shell out for Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns: Definitive Edition?

Maybe they could save money by cutting out some of those colons.

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
With the price of SSDs these days you can probably upgrade your processor and get an SSD big enough to hold the OS and one or two games. That's probably your best bet. Then you can upgrade the gpu a year or so down the line and you'll essentially have a new rig.
OK, thanks. I can get a discount on SSD's so I'll pursue that first.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
This was an amazing year for gaming and the thing i prefer is some games that were amazing come from fucking nowhere. A plague tale, Disco Elysium and game like those, that give me what i like the most in an indie title, with a value near an aaa title, makes me smile. also gamepass and playstation now. Now i just wait for the true beginning of vr and to be able to stream well from pc to some nintendo switch kind hardware, and i can stop to have a life

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
why didn't you hacks tell me this game existed god i need FEARlike to be a genre

Rampage.gif
Bruh this looks so much like FEAR. Gonna wishlist it since there's no hope for another FEAR game anymore. I agree the title is bad though.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how many of y'all are keeping up with Project Zomboid, but its latest update--currently in beta--is bananas.

It is basically turning the survival element into a full-blown RPG, with a rich character creator and active progression system. Once this update hits full release it'll be far and away the best zombie survival RPG on the market. Highly recommend anyone interested check it out.

Even without NPCs, it's leagues ahead of something like State of Decay mechanically. It's really awesome to see how far its come.

Yeah, they completely overhauled the animations in Beta 41. Your character has a lot more weight and momentum now. It makes your movement feel a lot more deliberate in a game where quick reactions are essential to survival (when a zombie you didn't see gets the drop on you, for example).

I only just picked up Zombiod this year and the bottomless depth quite took me by surprise. It's just so unflinchingly detailed on a systems & mechanics level.

It's easily one of the best survival sims I've ever played.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this "Horizion is coming to PC" talk coming from?
I've seen it a couple of times now and always thought it was a joke?

God knows. I'm curious about this too, considering I think there's more chance of Bloodborne coming to PC than H:ZD. I mean, my wife and I would love to play it on PC, but the sequel is almost certainly a PS5 launch exclusive, and whilst I can see multi-platforming the first game to gain attention to the PS5 exclusive is sensible, it's also pretty-much unheard of. Plus, with backwards compat almost certain on PS5, why would they not just keep it as a PS exclusive and not have to bother porting it elsewhere to get sales for it?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Where is this "Horizion is coming to PC" talk coming from?
I've seen it a couple of times now and always thought it was a joke?

A YouTuber who was the first one to confirm Death Stranding on PC said that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming in Feb with an announcement soon.

I don't know who he is and I didn't follow Death Stranding much but there's arguments over the validity of his claims and whether or not he can be trusted. But that's where it started.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
did people miss the small detail that all sony published games that have come to pc so far have been from third party studios?

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
God knows. I'm curious about this too, considering I think there's more chance of Bloodborne coming to PC than H:ZD. I mean, my wife and I would love to play it on PC, but the sequel is almost certainly a PS5 launch exclusive, and whilst I can see multi-platforming the first game to gain attention to the PS5 exclusive is sensible, it's also pretty-much unheard of. Plus, with backwards compat almost certain on PS5, why would they not just keep it as a PS exclusive and not have to bother porting it elsewhere to get sales for it?

It would be great if Sony would start porting exclusives, but I find it very improbable.

Oct 25, 2017
A YouTuber who was the first one to confirm Death Stranding on PC said that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming in Feb with an announcement soon.

I don't know who he is and I didn't follow Death Stranding much but there's arguments over the validity of his claims and whether or not he can be trusted. But that's where it started.
Wasn't Death Stranding announced for PC years ago?
And the question was just if that was still the case?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Death Stranding announced for PC years ago?
And the question was just if that was still the case?

I don't know the details, people argued both of those sides in the thread the other day. It was definitely announced but it does seem to be that it was uncertain whether it would still be released on PC because it got swept under the rug for some time.

Edit: It seems to have been questionable enough for multiple news articles about whether it would or wouldn't be on PC. https://www.gamesradar.com/death-stranding-pc-ps4-exclusive/

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
As cool as it would be to hunt robo-dinos at my desk with M+K, I'll only believe it when I see it.

I think the speculation is based on the fact that HZD is using the same engine as Death Stranding, and thus it *can* be ported to PC, as well.
*cue wishful thinking*

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Telling you, it's just gonna be Horizon on PSnow.

Horizon doesn't match Sony's PC releases. It's a first party studio, while everything else they've either published or allowed have been third party devs (which lines up with how Microsoft used to allow of PC releases before their Play Anywhere and Game Pass stuff). There's a reason we're seeing Death Stranding and Detroit Become Human not actually published by Sony on PC, because they aren't actually pushing forward here yet.

The games that were made by third parties (and thus have an external force pushing for the idea of a PC release) like Bloodborne and Until Dawn seem more likely, and even those seem to be small chances.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Terminator: Resistance is now on GOG.

That's not something I'd have expected. Gonna wishilist it because 50 CAD feels a bit much, but definitely gonna pick it up eventually.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got a GOG Galaxy 2.0 invite. It's pretty nice having everything in one place and letting the community make plugins to connect to other accounts ( that show I added Battle.net to it). The only part im confused on is the friends list. I see where I can add GOG friends, but can I just have one friends list from all of the launchers?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got a GOG Galaxy 2.0 invite. It's pretty nice having everything in one place and letting the community make plugins to connect to other accounts ( that show I added Battle.net to it). THe only part im confused on is friends. I see where I can add GOG friends, but can I just have one friends list from all of the launchers?

not anytime soon - and it may never happen. gog 2.0 is missing most of its promised functionality. its a long road

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Art direction in Darksiders 2 is gorgeous compared to the first game but so much loot bullshit ugh
Darksiders II was the only game since Diablo II that actually had me interested in loot.

basically, halfway through you start picking up weapons with life-steal and "give life after every kill" buffs, and then you just feed these to the highest-level possessed weapons to pass on the buffs you want the most to the highest base-damage weapons (usually scythes).

Never really bothered much with the rest of the gear once sets become available.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Darksiders 2 has too much 'bloat'. Trim down certain elements of it and the game'd be much better IMO.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how many of y'all are keeping up with Project Zomboid, but its latest update--currently in beta--is bananas.

It is basically turning the survival element into a full-blown RPG, with a rich character creator and active progression system. Once this update hits full release it'll be far and away the best zombie survival RPG on the market. Highly recommend anyone interested check it out.

Even without NPCs, it's leagues ahead of something like State of Decay mechanically. It's really awesome to see how far its come.
Would love to play it but I can't get it to work on my pc. I play on a 4Ktv and everything is TINY and changing my resolution doesn't help. im probably just doing something wrong.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders II was the only game since Diablo II that actually had me interested in loot.

basically, halfway through you start picking up weapons with life-steal and "give life after every kill" buffs, and then you just feed these to the highest-level possessed weapons to pass on the buffs you want the most to the highest base-damage weapons (usually scythes).
Yeah, the loot system is simple enough that it never feels overwhelming IMO (it's no Nioh, that's for sure). And the possessed weapons is one of the first crafting systems in a game that I actually enjoyed utilizing (once you understand the mechanics, it just works so well).

Life and wrath steal are broken. If I was in charge of the remaster, I would have started by slashing their effectiveness by 90% (with additional nerfs to come based on testing).

Darksiders 2 has too much 'bloat'. Trim down certain elements of it and the game'd be much better IMO.
To some people, the game is too long. To some, it's too short (everybody always complains about the last two zones being smaller). Hard to please everybody.

At least the music is divine. I could never get bored of playing when there's such an amazing soundtrack.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, the loot system is simple enough that it never feels overwhelming IMO (it's no Nioh, that's for sure). And the possessed weapons is one of the first crafting systems in a game that I actually enjoyed utilizing (once you understand the mechanics, it just works so well).

Life and wrath steal are broken. If I was in charge of the remaster, I would have started by slashing their effectiveness by 90% (with additional nerfs to come based on testing).

To some people, the game is too long. To some, it's too short (everybody always complains about the last two zones being smaller). Hard to please everybody.

At least the music is divine. I could never get bored of playing when there's such an amazing soundtrack.

They are only broken until you get to NG+, where almost anything bigger than you can one-shot you.

Life-Steal was basically the only way I survived the 3rd quarter of the Crucible on NG+ and NG+ is the only way to collect the entire Abyssal Armour set, because you can't hit the requisite levels in your first run.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
DS2 is short? Maybe if you play on easiest difficulty. Then again you got people who think RPGs have to be 50+ hour long games or some shit :V

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
They are only broken until you get to NG+, where almost anything bigger than you can one-shot you.

Life-Steal was basically the only way I survived the 3rd quarter of the Crucible on NG+ and NG+ is the only way to collect the entire Abyssal Armour set, because you can't hit the requisite levels in your first run.
Nope, they're broken. Even on the highest difficulty, you can steamroll everything in NG+ when you get life and wrath steal (they basically remove life and wrath as elements of combat).

I'm not saying parts of the game wouldn't need to be rebalanced accordingly, but two wrongs don't make a right.

DS2 is short? Maybe if you play on easiest difficulty. Then again you got people who think RPGs have to be 50+ hour long games or some shit :V
I don't think it's too short (I think Act 1 is just right, Act 2 is too long, and Act 3 and 4 do their best to wrap things up without getting bogged down like the earlier acts). But the last two acts being short is a common complaint, so obviously those people wanted the game to be longer.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
It was the first time, then the next two "stories" featured the exact same structure. It's "sneak in, blow up objective, go to next objective, repeat," with having to traverse a big open area where nothing's happening :\
mmm, i can see how that'd get old quickly, then. :|

that's a shame.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Nope, they're broken. Even on the highest difficulty, you can steamroll everything in NG+ when you get life and wrath steal (they basically remove life and wrath as elements of combat).

I'm not saying parts of the game wouldn't need to be rebalanced accordingly, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't think it's too short (I think Act 1 is just right, Act 2 is too long, and Act 3 and 4 do their best to wrap things up without getting bogged down like the earlier acts). But the last two acts being short is a common complaint, so obviously those people wanted the game to be longer.
I haven't gone back to try Apocalyptic (I'm waiting for GOG to put achievements for the first 2 games before doing my 4th (?) replay), but on Nightmare the game's pretty insane- those early giant enraged rodents can one-shot you on early levels even in the starter dungeons if you fail to dodge. Lifesteal doesn't really become a recurrent buff until towards the end of Act II- you start finding items with life-steal in the City of the Dead, iirc- the first Legendary with life-steal are a set of claws you get from killing the giant spider in the Basyleus' dungeon, but their base damage is pretty low. Before that Death has to work for his kills- which is probably I was one of the few who didn't feel vanilla Darksiders III was particularly hard- because I was going into it fresh from a DS II replay on high difficulty and enemies hitting hard wasn't anything new to me.

Regarding the length, it was just weird that Acts I and II had proper-looking open worlds with NPCs and quests, while Worlds 3 and 4 were basically just giant dungeons. That (and the trip to Earth for no good reason) made the game seem like it lost direction and was using padding to compensate.

The first 2 DLCs were really good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.