• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Some really great posts by Teeth regarding FPS development and the issues from design standpoint from the HL2 physics topic. I quite like them (hope he is OK with me posting them here).

It's interesting that you bring up wants like enemy reactivity to hit location and greater diversity in weapon properties because they often come in conflict with each other from a design standpoint.

For diversity in weapon properties, the biggest hurdle is enemies having (or at least the audience wanting the enemies to have) low health. AKA - people don't want "bullet sponges". Generally what this manifests as is - the number of individual shots needed to kill an enemy needs to be low to have weapons feel "satisfying". What this also means is that, the absolute gamut of diversity in weapons become razor thin. Think about it: if the maximum number of bullets needed to kill an enemy, regardless of gun, should be less than say...4 bullets, how much diversity can you make in guns? If you have an enemy die in 3 bullets (or one to the head) from a machine gun, or 1 bullet from a shotgun, but you need to be close for that shotgun to kill at all, why would you ever use the shotgun when just holding down the shoot button from an SMG kills in less time, and from any distance? How do you make an SMG feel different from a LMG from an AR? They all have to kill in less than 4 bullets no matter the distance. I guess you can increase the spread, but then any weapon with low spread automatically becomes better than one with wide spread but more power because everything dies instantly anyway. Might as well use the pistol at that point. I won't even get into making esoteric weapons like bouncing fireball guns or 3 way crossbow shots, because why would anyone use something interesting when the base guns have to be so powerful with just point and shoot.

This would only be exacerbated by hit reactions. If you have enemies react properly to hits, it basically makes every enemy a one-hit kill. For instance, if you hit an enemy in the leg, they fall to the ground and clutch their leg...now they've stopped moving and you can plug them with 3 more bullets with any weapon to kill them. You've basically made every weapon a one-hit kill/incapacitate regardless of where you hit them. Hit them in the crotch - downed. Hit them in the hand, drop gun. Hit them in the head, dead. Hit them in the shoulder, recoil backwards. It looks great, but does two things: makes every individual bullet equally strong, so high fire rates trumps all and makes all enemies extremely weak. To counter this, you'd have to litter the play field with tons of enemies, or make enemies perfect marksmen who line up shots instantly, or have them play peekaboo in the most irritating ways. It limits encounter design heavily.

This is why games with high enemy health generally have the largest differences in weapons (Halo, Gears, Dead Space, and to some extent FEAR). You can make this much wider sandbox of gun design because you have more time to work with. The enemies can still be threatening after taking a couple of hits, so they can show off a wider set of abilities. It also means they don't react much to getting shot, but you can actually have a hierarchy of damage (charge shots, rapid fire but weak, slow to reload, bolt action shots, bouncing shots with high power, low bullet counts, etc).

I mean, to be honest with you, I agree with your overall sentiment: I want that stuff too. Basically I just want a Half Life 2-like FPS game that just goes further with the environmental interaction...kinda be like the Divinity Original Sin of FPS games.

Even the hit reaction stuff can be nice to have on the the lowest level grunts (or have armored grunts where you blast off their armor then get hit reactions after that), but it's a lot of production for some fun ragdoll spins.

And yeah, the TTK trick that's often employed is to have general grunts go down real quick, then mix in higher health enemies and most people recognize the design diversity without complaining too much. Gears is good at this (and it also does double duty of creating a really identifiable threat hierarchy that mixes and matches well with player choice on gun loadout).

Just thinking out loud here, I usually roll my eyes at forum comments that point out how things like enemy reactions like crawling behind cover when near death or AI units rushing out to pull wounded comrades into cover are taken out of subsequent sequels and how cheap that is....mainly because...who ever sees this stuff? But really, when I think about it, it could be the type of thing that could open up more interesting design situations in a macro sense; creating some kind of interlocking system that incentivizes incapacitating enemies but not killing them unless absolutely necessary (MGS5 did this well, but made incapacitation too easy, so there wasn't a lot of incentive to use lethal force nonlethally) could lead to interesting encounters where seeing those types of AI interactions would both be visually and gameplay interesting. But i digress...

Oct 27, 2018
Don't sleep out on Horizon Chase Turbo, it has 4 player split screen, a free Easy Mode campaign for some relaxing driving as you also get to learn the stages and an outstanding soundtrack.

CDF0A09CF96BB9F545B431BE05A9958A07F87508
163D71E3BA46097F4059C3B0E0A919577679C740

06CF9D998492C3EFF25FDE67919D8744A7151077
DD67DB36FA059D58D800D4E01C9967ADBE686153

D12341B0DD4591419D1218A5DA4ECE1F0CB02927
4A5C1A1930CE4E6DB018484670191A318544DA36

Did I mention it has beautiful scenery
This looks brilliant.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Some really great posts by Teeth regarding FPS development and the issues from design standpoint from the HL2 physics topic. I quite like them (hope he is OK with me posting them here).
I'm going to have to go back to Soldier of Fortune to remember how spongy the enemies were, because the GHOUL reaction system was amazing for Qauke2 based fps, amd I didn't really mind them taking tons of bullets to down

Oct 25, 2017
20,4% of all players got the achievement for completing basically the first mission in Red Dead 2, two days after it's release.
I'm really curious if that means people play more RDR Online or if a lot of people bought the game but didn't play it yet.

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
20,4% of all players got the achievement for completing basically the first mission in Red Dead 2, two days after it's release.
I'm really curious if that means people play more RDR Online or if a lot of people bought the game but didn't play it yet.

I got RDR2 for the XONE and touched RDR2 Online enough to realize it wasn't nearly as good as RDR1 online, so I dropped it. Between that and the huge controversy around currencies it turned me off for awhile. I've been thinking about looking into it again but I'm hesitant given R*'s track record with the economy in GTA5

Nov 2, 2017
How was Ashen as a Souls game? I see it's releasing in two days on Steam. I remember hearing good things and bad things about it when it released on EGS.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
How was Ashen as a Souls game? I see it's releasing in two days on Steam. I remember hearing good things and bad things about it when it released on EGS.
Apparently it was quite good at launch, but seemingly the online aspects broke shortly afterwards, and nobody bothered to fix it. This is second hand information though, so it might be different.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looking at my glowing achievements on Steam is odd, sometimes I'm on the 15% that completed the tutorial in a semi popular game and other simple things like that. People like to add games to their library to play them some time in the distant future

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone recommend VNs like 428 Shibuya - for some reason I really enjoyed that story.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to set the download speed for the Windows store? Googling tells me to limit the bandwidth in Delivery optimization, but that does nothing for the Windows store downloads on my end. I'm only at a 10 mbit (at best) connection and I'd like to be able to use the internet for other stuff while downloading.
Anyone?

Googling this is useless as the results are either people complaining about low download speeds, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for, or the Delivery optimization solution that does nothing on my end. Just to be sure I set both background and foreground limit to 5% and the Windows store still maxes out my bandwidth.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone?

Googling this is useless as the results are either people complaining about low download speeds, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for, or the Delivery optimization solution that does nothing on my end. Just to be sure I set both background and foreground limit to 5% and the Windows store still maxes out my bandwidth.

If that's not working, I don't think there's any other way to do it. You could try using software like NetLimiter to do it manually, but it's only got a free trial from what I gather.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Don't sleep out on Horizon Chase Turbo, it has 4 player split screen, a free Easy Mode campaign for some relaxing driving as you also get to learn the stages and an outstanding soundtrack.

CDF0A09CF96BB9F545B431BE05A9958A07F87508
163D71E3BA46097F4059C3B0E0A919577679C740

06CF9D998492C3EFF25FDE67919D8744A7151077
DD67DB36FA059D58D800D4E01C9967ADBE686153

D12341B0DD4591419D1218A5DA4ECE1F0CB02927
4A5C1A1930CE4E6DB018484670191A318544DA36

Did I mention it has beautiful scenery?
Agreed, Horizon Chase Turbo is great. I played a lot of it on PS4 when it was free with Plus a few months ago. I love the art style which blends retro 90's with modern. It gets repetitive, so it's great for short sessions.

BorntoPlay

Banned for Abusing Giftbot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venezuela
Anyone?

you should try this...

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got a GOG Galaxy 2.0 invite. It's pretty nice having everything in one place and letting the community make plugins to connect to other accounts ( that show I added Battle.net to it). The only part im confused on is the friends list. I see where I can add GOG friends, but can I just have one friends list from all of the launchers?

not anytime soon - and it may never happen. gog 2.0 is missing most of its promised functionality. its a long road

zxKbzWF.png

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
If that's not working, I don't think there's any other way to do it. You could try using software like NetLimiter to do it manually, but it's only got a free trial from what I gather.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. You'd think Microsoft had the resources to add a standard feature to their store.

you should try this...

That's the thing that is not working for me. It literally does nothing for windows store downloads even at the lowest setting.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible Windows thinks I have a bigger bandwidth than I do since I have it pulled through USB from my phone. It's a bit of an awkward setup because I can't afford real internet.

Edit: Well that makes sense. According to the status tab for the "ethernet" connection W10 thinks my bandwidth is 453 Mbps. 5% of that, the lowest setting for delivery optimization, is more than twice my actual bandwidth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
few questions:

1) do I need a virus protection thing for my new computer (WIN10)? Or is windows 10 protected enough? Is it as protected as mac?
2) what's the best way to clean/maintain my physical tower? I want to make sure dust doesn't ruin the computer. I want to clean it every week

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
great now i have to shitpost here

anyways, i just noticed that steam loaded up an ad when i restarted it, and it showed me a notification of a friend entering a game. pretty sure i've had both of those things disabled for years...

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

It's got a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. The core combat in Ashen, weapon swings, movement feel, etc, feels very souls like. Shields are less useful as enemies striking your shield will drain your stamina by like 70%, but the overall mechanics feel decent (though less refined).

World design is different in that it's more "open world/area". There's more open expanses for the most part, but there's enough structures laid out interestingly that it doesn't feel like a "go anywhere" open world game. Also, there's a dedicated jump button and some actually half-decent light platforming parts for secrets and shortcuts and whatnot that I felt added to the formula well. I guess think of it like splitting the difference between Dark Souls and something like Horizon.

As a souls game, it's very stripped back and newbie-friendly. Quests have waypoints, there's a map, and you constantly have a companion with you (either AI or Journey-style seamless drop in drop out). You can't specifically co-op with a friend, it's all passive online interaction. Due to the less refined combat, I will say that one or two of the encounters felt like they were designed for co-op and were brutally difficult in single player.

The biggest drawbacks to the game are entirely budgetary. You have to know going in that it's "indie souls" in both visuals and scope. There are probably 40 different weapons, but they are just very slight variations on the same 3 types (fast/small, medium/medium, heavy/strong). There are only 5 bosses in the game and probably only 10 enemies with a few being palette swaps. This lack of new fights/items/weapons has the knock-on effect of making exploration feel less rewarding and some people feel that really hurts the game. I was mostly okay with it.

That all said, aside from a really huge difficulty spike about 1/3 of the way in and a bit of a frustrating last boss, I thought it was 20ish hours very well spent, but I'm not a super discerning Souls player (ie- i think Dark Souls 2 is still really good). Your mileage may vary.

few questions:

1) do I need a virus protection thing for my new computer (WIN10)? Or is windows 10 protected enough? Is it as protected as mac?
2) what's the best way to clean/maintain my physical tower? I want to make sure dust doesn't ruin the computer. I want to clean it every week

1) I haven't used anything other than the built in Windows Defender since Windows 7. Your biggest safeguard against bad stuff happening to your PC is not doing foolish things. Don't download stuff from sites you don't trust, don't open attachments from emails you don't already know what they are or where they came from. Don't file share with people you don't trust. Don't let people who don't know what they are doing use your computer.

2) The best way to clean a physical tower is to get a can of compressed air, shut down and unplug your tower completely, and follow a tutorial on youtube to blow the dust out of your computer (not just around inside of it). Hold fans steady as you blow compressed air on them so that they don't spin as that can send voltage back into parts and maybe cause issues.

I would also say, unless your house is absolutely filthy with dust and pet hair, you are probably more likely to end up doing more harm opening up and fiddling around in your tower once a week than you'll gain by having it that consistently clean. I would say that for most normal users, cleaning out your tower doesn't need to be done more than once a month. Most people don't even clean them out once a year (i do mine about once every 8ish months or whenever i get a new part).

If you want something that will actually increase the longevity of your Windows PC: shut it down when you're done with it for the night (or when you go to work or whatever). If you have the OS running on an SSD, it becomes a 10 second inconvenience, but it will probably prevent headaches in the long run. All the weird behaviour that Windows does over the years, for me (and for people I know who do shut their computer down regularly rather than leave it on or on standby indefinitely) completely disappeared once I started shutting it down every night.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anyone?

Did you try at like 50%?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I think Blood has the steepest learning curve of all the Build engine shooters, especially since a number of your weapons can just as easily kill you, haha!

Absolutely. A lot of enemies have hit scan weapons as well that do insane damage on higher difficulties.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why does my power button LED and RAM RGB (smh) stay on when I turn the PC off? They only turn off when I flick the switch off.

Checked the BIOS and put LGBs to stealth mode when off, and disabled USB power delivery in soft state but it didn't help.

Motherboard is Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Case is Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case
RAM is G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 RGB

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why does my power button LED and RAM RGB (smh) stay on when I turn the PC off? They only turn off when I flick the switch off.

Checked the BIOS and put LGBs to stealth mode when off, and disabled USB power delivery in soft state but it didn't help.

Stupid question, but you're sure it's off and not in sleep?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

enable erp s5

In the BIOS under ADVANCED>APM there is a ErP/EuP setting.

ErP Support determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W of power in S5 (shutdown) state. When the setting is enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable: PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Scanned the video for a bit. Jim makes comparisons to other political games. Don't think it's really comparable to other political games though, as the US won't ban Steam because of a Trump meme game. Whereas it may well be that Valve doesn't want to risk having Steam disabled entirely for everyone in China, since it's already in somewhat precarious/nebulous territory and operates outside of the usual game approval process -- from what I understand anyway.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Scanned the video for a bit. Jim makes comparisons to other political games. Don't think it's really comparable to other political games though, as the US won't ban Steam because of a Trump meme game. Whereas it may well be that Valve doesn't want to risk having Steam disabled entirely for everyone in China, since it's already in somewhat precarious/nebulous territory and operates outside of the usual game approval process -- from what I understand anyway.

sooooooooooooo... you're saying that Valve IS appeasing to china then?

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really wish I could be surprised that another corporation is rolling over for Chinese influence but I am not.

It isn't entirely clear what they are doing, but then again nothing about Valve's actions is ever clear, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.