• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
sooooooooooooo... you're saying that Valve IS appeasing to china then?

There's likely more nuance to it than that. It's quite possible there's consideration of the players who, like us, have invested a ton into their library and if that goes black one day, it would genuinely suck. It's not just one game or five games; it's access to all kinds of (uncensored) games that otherwise don't make it into China -- again, to my understanding, Steam's in some kind of weird largely unregulated gray area. I also recall Chinese players not responding well to the Steam China client/service, because its selection wouldn't be as large as the worldwide version, for example. It's still up in the air if the game will be published, right? I'll be interested to see what the conclusion of this will be.

Last edited:
1 gift from C4rter

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from C4rter C4rter!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

C4rter said:
One left over from the Humble Choice

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: X-Morph: Defense - Won by Equirah Equirah (2 entries)

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
great now i have to shitpost here

anyways, i just noticed that steam loaded up an ad when i restarted it, and it showed me a notification of a friend entering a game. pretty sure i've had both of those things disabled for years...
How much shitposting is required before you can enter for the no-lurker giveaway? I'm not keen to mess things up in a new community with low-value posts.
On a related note, I just received a Steam Controller for the first time ever. 🤞

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
There's likely more nuance to it than that. It's quite possible there's consideration of the players who, like us, have invested a ton into their library and if that goes black one day, it would genuinely suck. It's not just one game or five games; it's access to all kinds of (uncensored) games that otherwise don't make it into China -- again, to my understanding, Steam's in some kind of weird largely unregulated gray area. I also recall Chinese players not responding well to the Steam China client/service, because its selection wouldn't be as large as the worldwide version, for example. It's still up in the air if the game will be published, right? I'll be interested to see what the conclusion of this will be.

Haven't looked into the issue yet but "doing everything possible to let people access the games they bought" is the PR answer they'd give. Not that that is a concern internally but the main reason would be as always "We don't want to lose the money from the Chinese market"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't looked into the issue yet but "doing everything possible to let people access the games they bought" is the PR answer they'd give. Not that that is a concern internally but the main reason would be as always "We don't want to lose the money from the Chinese market"

Yeah, it is of course a huge money maker. Valve is not a charity, so I think that will be the most significant part of their decision around this matter.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
rzh7Rtm.png

This seems high for basically idling?

EDIT: Changing from Ryzen high perf plan to Ryzen balanced in power settings helped, but will it affect my gaming performance?

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Agreed, Horizon Chase Turbo is great. I played a lot of it on PS4 when it was free with Plus a few months ago. I love the art style which blends retro 90's with modern. It gets repetitive, so it's great for short sessions.
It's a great game, especially if you liked arcade games such as Out Run or Top Gear on SNES. Trying to 100% it with all gold trophys on Switch atm :)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How much shitposting is required before you can enter for the no-lurker giveaway? I'm not keen to mess things up in a new community with low-value posts.
On a related note, I just received a Steam Controller for the first time ever. 🤞
Zero shitposting for raffles in community topics. That may be tolerated in the official GiftBot topic, but anywhere else it's ban-worthy.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The last time I updated my BIOS I killed the board

it was an out of warranty prebuilt board

I'm never updating the replacement i'll just get a new computer.
This was me watching the updating bar slowly move

7853.jpg

I've had weird experiences with mobo bios updates. The last two failed to boot the machine back up after the update was applied, but then I physically turned it back on, and it highlights the bios was updated successfully and restarts after that. Heart attack not averted though!

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I fucked up flashing a BIOS back when it was normal to put the file on a floppy disk.
Got a new chip from the manufacturer and bought these weird tongs to change it.
s-l300.gif

Current board has the USB flashback that can restore pretty much anything so IDGAF, give me those beta BIOSes.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
my Nvidia container (its some thread on task manager) is randomly spiking with high hard disk usage. everytime i kill it it comes back. i think it started when i installed the oculus rift app

senj

Nov 6, 2017
rzh7Rtm.png

This seems high for basically idling?

EDIT: Changing from Ryzen high perf plan to Ryzen balanced in power settings helped, but will it affect my gaming performance?
It'll reduce how high a frequency the CPU can boost to, particularly on all cores.

That just seems really, really high for an idle temp. What's your cooler like? I idle in the low 30s on a 2700x

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 7 gifts from Viken Viken!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Viken said:
Bundle spares, forgot to cancel.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: SOULCALIBUR VI - Won by fspm fspm (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Yakuza Kiwami - Won by Letters Letters (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: My Time at Portia - Won by XR. XR. (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Sword Legacy Omen - Won by Equirah Equirah (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Chasm - Won by Cloudst69 Cloudst69 (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Fluffy Horde - Won by C4rter C4rter (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Regular Human Basketball - Won by Lone_Prodigy Lone_Prodigy (1 entry)

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you guys and your BIOS update horror stories. I'm about to build my soon and now I'm getting worried heh.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you guys and your BIOS update horror stories. I'm about to build my soon and now I'm getting worried heh.
Honestly, BIOS updating is one of those things that really could use some major quality of life improvements. BIOS Flashback is one good step in that direction, and really should be standard these days.

That said, motherboards have it easy compared to GPUs.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wish motherboard manufacturers gave more technical specifics about their BIOS updates...

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought Pillars Of Eternity 2 for 50% sale off.

Probably will wait for the first game to goes on sale first before jumping in.

Here's hoping it will finally scratch my Dragon Age Origins itch. (Played Divinity OS 1, while I love the combat, the world/setting/writing failed to scratch the itch).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
as I dabble in Dungeon Crawlers, I'm noticing the anime ones mostly do story outside the dungeon, western ones do story inside the dungeon. Also, from my very limited experience with them, western ones seem to be more level to level, anime ones seem to have 1 big dungeon that you keep going back to from a hub?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
as I dabble in Dungeon Crawlers, I'm noticing the anime ones mostly do story outside the dungeon, western ones do story inside the dungeon. Also, from my very limited experience with them, western ones seem to be more level to level, anime ones seem to have 1 big dungeon that you keep going back to from a hub?
Hmmm, I haven't played very many western ones, but I feel like your description of Japanese ones is pretty close. I can think of a few that have more than one dungeon location, but most of the ones I've played did most of the story in the hub area.

BTW, you should check out labyrinth of refrain. One of my favorite games last year.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, I haven't played very many western ones, but I feel like your description of Japanese ones is pretty close. I can think of a few that have more than one dungeon location, but most of the ones I've played did most of the story in the hub area.

BTW, you should check out labyrinth of refrain. One of my favorite games last year.

thats the one I'm playing now and I'm loving it lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why it took the shot on this screen when I weren't on it, but I'm finally not CPU bottlenecked! This was in Valentine too.

yyNwisK.png

3700x

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, BIOS updating is one of those things that really could use some major quality of life improvements. BIOS Flashback is one good step in that direction, and really should be standard these days.

That said, motherboards have it easy compared to GPUs.

Guess I'm gonna have to do that as soon as plug in my power supply. Luckily it supports Q-Flash. A buddy of mine is also having trouble with his motherboard since he ruled everything else out. Man, it feels like the quality of motherboards sure went down because I never recalled this about 5 years ago. Oh well.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought Pillars Of Eternity 2 for 50% sale off.

Probably will wait for the first game to goes on sale first before jumping in.

Here's hoping it will finally scratch my Dragon Age Origins itch. (Played Divinity OS 1, while I love the combat, the world/setting/writing failed to scratch the itch).

DOS2 has a much better layed out story and serious lore.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, this is all just splitting hairs. You're just giving similar reasoning that all these companies have given.
Why does my power button LED and RAM RGB (smh) stay on when I turn the PC off? They only turn off when I flick the switch off.

Checked the BIOS and put LGBs to stealth mode when off, and disabled USB power delivery in soft state but it didn't help.

Motherboard is Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Case is Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case
RAM is G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 RGB

In my BIOS (MSI) it was something under like ACPI settings. It has Power LED Blinking, I set to "dual color" and it turns it off, for whatever reason. Had it on two different MSI boards.

Kind of like the picture here:

So see if there's any setting like that in ASUS bios.

Not sure about the RAM though.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
OK so I'm super clumsy and have a habit of getting my feet caught on my controller cable causing my Xbox one controller to go flying off my desk. Result us messed up cables and probably damaged connectors on my controllers.

So I'm trying to get my wireless adapter working consistently. While the 360 one worked great, this thing has given me nothing but trouble. It will often not connect, requiring me to remove the usb connection and replace it every time I sit down to play. I also set it so that the computer can't turn it off for power saving, which is supposed to prevent it from losing connection mid-game, but Ive still had it happen.

Anyone have any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.