• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Does anyone know how I can set launch options for Windows Store games (GamePass to be specific)? This UWP shit is a nightmare. I need to apply a launch option to Hellbalde because the FPS tankes for AMD cards after a specific location and you need to apply an argument to fix it. The Steam version seems to have a fix for that problem but it still happens for me with the GamePass version. I can't even make a shortcut to the .exe file to add that start argument there.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Are we expecting EA titles on Steam this month? I kinda hope we'll get The Saboteur at least since I never had the chance to play it.

Oct 26, 2017
Are we expecting EA titles on Steam this month? I kinda hope we'll get The Saboteur at least since I never had the chance to play it.

They will start with the big title first, BF V, Apex, FIFA and The Sims are coming first and then i expect other games to slowly follow as well, but they won't make a big deal about them compared to BF V, FIFA and Apex.

they will start releasing games on Steam from 2020
In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt they're even gonna bother with something as old as The Saboteur.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's been a few years since I've been really into PC gaming.

I know the obvious advantage to Borderless Windowed mode being that I can switch apps with less risk of my game encountering an error, but my perception is generally that it results in a slight (but noticeable) performance penalty in many games, particularly in more graphically intense ones.

If I'm looking to maximize game performance, is it still general rule of thumb that I should always play in dedicated Fullscreen mode? Are there any other considerations besides easier app swapping I should consider about using Borderless Windowed?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few years since I've been really into PC gaming.

I know the obvious advantage to Borderless Windowed mode being that I can switch apps with less risk of my game encountering an error, but my perception is generally that it results in a slight (but noticeable) performance penalty in many games, particularly in more graphically intense ones.

If I'm looking to maximize game performance, is it still general rule of thumb that I should always play in dedicated Fullscreen mode? Are there any other considerations besides easier app swapping I should consider about using Borderless Windowed?

Borderless windowed will typically automatically apply vsync and triple buffering, so there's an extra input delay cost there on top of other performance considerations. For max performance, fullscreen tends to be the way to go indeed. I assume it's because of resource allocation differences.

In terms of consistent frame times, however, sometimes one of the other display modes work better. Inconsistency in this is when it seems like you're hitting a stable 60, for example, but you notice judder or micro-stutter. If you use the RTSS performance overlay, you can have it show a frame time graph. This can be useful for identifying which display mode works best. Generally, fullscreen does the trick, I've found.

Borderless Gaming is an app that can turn a regular windowed mode into fullscreen borderless. Useful for games that don't have it or if the native implementation is borked for some reason.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Borderless windowed will typically automatically apply vsync and triple buffering, so there's an extra input delay cost there. For max performance, fullscreen tends to be the way to go indeed. I assume it's because of resource allocation differences.

In terms of consistent frame times, however, sometimes one of the other display modes work better. Inconsistency in this is when it seems like you're hitting a stable 60, for example, but you notice judder or micro-stutter. If you use the RTSS performance overlay, you can have it show a frame time graph. This can be useful for identifying which display mode works best in this case.

Borderless Gaming is an app that can turn a regular windowed mode into fullscreen borderless. Useful for games that don't have it or if the native implementation is borked for some reason.

Ah, thank you! I'm playing on a 1080p 240Hz monitor that came with my gaming laptop, so I tend to avoid applying vsync at all. Despite lacking variable refresh rate of any kind, 240Hz appears to sort of brute force away screen tearing issues -- I'm actually certain tearing is still occurring but the monitor is trying to refresh the image so much more frequently that it becomes practically invisible to my eye.

If going Borderless Windowed is an automatic application of vsync then I think I'll probably just avoid it entirely, as I've grown accustomed to just letting the framerate go as fast as the CPU and GPU can push it, since its seldom ever hitting the full 240fps to match the refresh -- only game I've gotten to do that is Half-Life 2 so far, for obvious reasons.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thank you! I'm playing on a 1080p 240Hz monitor that came with my gaming laptop, so I tend to avoid applying vsync at all. Despite lacking variable refresh rate of any kind, 240Hz appears to sort of brute force away screen tearing issues -- I'm actually certain tearing is still occurring but the monitor is trying to refresh the image so much more frequently that it becomes practically invisible to my eye.

If going Borderless Windowed is an automatic application of vsync then I think I'll probably just avoid it entirely, as I've grown accustomed to just letting the framerate go as fast as the CPU and GPU can push it, since its seldom ever hitting the full 240fps to match the refresh -- only game I've gotten to do that is Half-Life 2 so far, for obvious reasons.

If you do eventually want to set a frame rate cap, RTSS is quite useful (comes with Afterburner if you have it). It'll allow you to set a global cap or manage it game by game, in addition to giving a wealth of performance metrics in its overlay.

www.guru3d.com

MSI Afterburner 4.6.6 Download

MSI Afterburner 4.6.6 download - Guru3D and MSI have been working hard on AfterBurner, we released an updated Beta revision of Afterburner; this application successfully secured the leading position on graphics card utilities in relation to monitoring and tweaking. We are the only official...

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
It's pretty clear the Origin integration was rushed in time for Jedi Fallen Order and they aren't quite ready to go all out yet especially when it comes to the monthly passes. I thought they might include NFS as well but I suppose not even Steam can save Need for Speed.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, does anyone have any thoughts on MudRunner and Elite Dangerous?

American Truck Simulator is one of the most surprising revelations I've had in gaming for years, and if I'm not mistaken both of the above have the same sort of "Point A to Point B" loops as ATS, right? (Although I appreciate outside of that they're probably very different). Both are cheap and I find tough terrain/space equally as intriguing. Elite Dangerous feels a little more daunting but I don't know if I'm just overthinking the complexity there. I think either one would make a nice final Steam sale purchase to keep me going but curious if anyone has any particular thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Hmm, does anyone have any thoughts on MudRunner and Elite Dangerous?

American Truck Simulator is one of the most surprising revelations I've had in gaming for years, and if I'm not mistaken both of the above have the same sort of "Point A to Point B" loops as ATS, right? (Although I appreciate outside of that they're probably very different). Both are cheap and I find tough terrain/space equally as intriguing. Elite Dangerous feels a little more daunting but I don't know if I'm just overthinking the complexity there. I think either one would make a nice final Steam sale purchase to keep me going but curious if anyone has any particular thoughts.

If you own spintires, it also got DLC. I find MR to be easier. Then there is the whole "scandal" thing.

ED is probably a better choice as you got choices.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I just realized that this means there's a good chance that we'll get Titanfall 2 on Steam. Woo!

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They will start with the big title first, BF V, Apex, FIFA and The Sims are coming first and then i expect other games to slowly follow as well, but they won't make a big deal about them compared to BF V, FIFA and Apex.

they will start releasing games on Steam from 2020

Here's hoping Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda is among them.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd boot up Battletech (haven't played in over a year) to see if I want to buy the season pass while it's on sale, and the first mission I load, my pilot gets sniped for lethal head damage. 😆 😭

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I liked ME3 - havent played ME:A though.
The hate for ME:A was overblown imo. Yes, the story is terrible, and at launch the faces looked wrong, and yes it's the weakest ME. OTOH, the gameplay is good, and you have the flexibility to completely change your skills mid-game, and there's plenty to do. If you enter with lower expectations and for a good price you can have a good time with it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get around playing Episode 1/2. They released during a time where I completely stopped gaming.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The hate for ME:A was overblown imo. Yes, the story is terrible, and at launch the faces looked wrong, and yes it's the weakest ME. OTOH, the gameplay is good, and you have the flexibility to completely change your skills mid-game, and there's plenty to do. If you enter with lower expectations and for a good price you can have a good time with it.

I have the origin version - digital deluxe for $5 lol

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017

Reviews were way too kind for the game but obviously much of the media concentrated on players complaining about few silly animations instead of the actual issues of the game. I don't really care about technical issues like animations though they were hilarious but the storytelling was simply average and that won't do, not in a game where it's supposed to be a strength / the thing to carry you forward. The writing was nowhere near good enough and most of the characters were equally average. Maybe the gameplay was overall better than previously but it still wasn't a reason to play the game, the story should have been that and the game was utterly mediocre on that department.

Same issue with Dragon Age Inquisition and Anthem. Gameplay might be decent enough but that's not nearly enough in this day and age with these AAA-products. Either get your gameplay up there with the best, or succeed in other ways (but don't attempt the gameplay-only thing with established franchises that used to do story well). Otherwise you won't stand up to the competition and marketing can only carry you until your game launches.

Few technical issues aside ME:A is just utterly average. So that's about 5/10.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Andromeda was my most-anticipated game for years and in the end I didn't even finish it. I certainly don't hate the game or anything, but that says something.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I should play Tera

ef95f174-d65a-47c3-brlj3j.jpeg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Steam controller arrived today. Feels weird! I've been a PS owner since PS1, so not holding a Sony controller in my hands is gonna take some getting used to. ABXY buttons.... and there's more triggers on this thing too, that's going to be handy.

No right stick.....yeah, this is gonna take some getting used to...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Steam controller arrived today. Feels weird! I've been a PS owner since PS1, so not holding a Sony controller in my hands is gonna take some getting used to. ABXY buttons.... and there's more triggers on this thing too, that's going to be handy.

No right stick.....yeah, this is gonna take some getting used to...
it does take getting used to

but youll get as much out of it as you put in

its worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.