• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
luB1IfX.png

98tT02E.png

Darksiders Genesis
- Mentalist

The legendary creator of Darksiders, Joe Madueira and a number of ex-Vigil veterans are back at the reins of the Franchise. THQ Nordic is allowing the creative director of Darksiders 1 & 2 and the team behind Battle Chasers: Nightwar to tell the most prequel-y of all prequels yet to the story of the Four Horsemen. Join the quipy, gun-totin Fourth Horseman Strife and the Taciturn War as they kill demons on behest of the Charred Council to foil Lucifer's attempts to upset the Balance between Heaven, Hell and The Kingdom of Man. Play solo switching between the 2 characters at will, or in co-op.

Although the game is isometric, and it looks like either a Diablo-like hack&slash or a top-down twin-stick shooter, all previews suggest that it still plays like Darksiders. Sticking true to the dark gothic action-adventure formula, the developers at Airship Syndicate are delivering a game full of flashy combat interspersed with puzzles, hunting for secrets, spectacular-looking diverse roster of enemies, and even more cosmic conspiracies to add to the growing and confusing lore of the series. This isn't Darksiders 4- though with THQN reporting that the "soulslike on a budget" Darksiders III was a financial success, Strife's solo story is all but assured to come- but it's yet another fresh gameplay take on the same universe, with its metal interpretation of the angelic and demonic mythos, loads of stuff to kill, and more kick-ass art from Joe Mad to enjoy.

Detroit: Become Human
- Dan Longman

David Cage, like him or love him. His games are always very open and branching. Starting back with Fahrenheit playing multiple characters and having big decisions that can leave people alive or dead. Lot's of QTEs and doing menial work is something you can always look forward to. He tries to tackle very heavy subject matter though many would argue, myself included, he doesn't have the finesse required to do this properly. One can only give him credit for at least trying. All that said Detroit is one of my favourite games and is a visual feast, between the quality of the graphics, post processing use and great use of HDR on console the PC version should be a looker. Also both of the PC ports of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls have been really well done so I thinking technically this should be in a good place.

Detroit takes place in a future version of Detroit, robots are part of everyday life. Like the other Quantic Dreams games before you play multiple characters and any of them can die and the game will continue on without any game over. Can these androids break through their programming placed in them to keep them as servants to humans or can they Become Human?

SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions
- Iggy

Originally released on Vita, Scarlet Grace is the latest creation in avant-garde RPG designer Akitoshi Kawazu's 30 years-and-counting career at SQEX. After reducing cities to a simple menu in Unlimited Saga, Scarlet Grace cuts the RPG fat even further by entirely removing dungeons and non-boss encounters, leaving only a stylized overworld map for the characters to run on. Instead of entering a dungeon, the party will immediately be presented with the strength level of the boss that's waiting there, and the different actions you'll need to perform in order to maximize the loot you'll receive in the encounter/exploration.
Since boss battles are most of what you'll be doing, it's a good thing that combat is built over the long tradition of exciting battle systems from the Romancing Sa.Ga/SaGa Frontier series. Be prepared to face complex yet fair rules, engage with many party members, elemental weaknesses, nail-biting encounters with enemies adjusting to your level, and more!
Combat aside, you'll be treated with the charming stories of 4 heroes written by Kawazu himself, a beautiful artstyle based on Tomomi Kobayashi's striking paintings, and Itô Kenji's indisputable talent for creating banging battle themes.
Do not approach this game as another JRPG: this is a demanding game that will challenge you in its own terms, outside of the genre's comfort zone and trappings, and that might not be everyone's cup of tea. But if you manage to follow the game where he wants you to... You're in for a treat.

Halo: Reach
- bmdubya

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is finally coming to PC, although in a staggered release format. The first game up is Halo: Reach, which has you play as a member of Noble Team as you fight the Covenant on the planet Reach.

Halo Reach is known for having one of the better stories in the Halo series. It also features a co-op, wave based survival mode called Firefight, and the series famous PvP multiplayer.

The rest of the games in the collection will be released next year, but Reach is a great starting point for those new to the series, or revisiting after all these years removed. It's time to finish (or start?) the fight!

Boneworks
- eonden

The next big VR game is coming to your closest simulation December 10. The only "I cant believe this is not Half Life VR" to feature a crowbar, unlike trailers shown by Alyx. Advanced physics and story to close another great year of VR games. Perform sweet moves and matrix like reloads in Boneworks!

TanNegativeFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

Due to high mobility in the game, it is not that recommended for newer VR players and should wait / train a bit in order to avoid possible nausea.

Dragon Quest Builders 2
- eonden

Mix Minecraft, RPG progressions, and Dragon Quest designs and you will get this amazing piece of art. Move around the open world helping the people and fighting the darkness, or just play with 3 other friends online to enjoy the cute world and deadly enemies.

Life is Strange 2 - Episode 5: Wolves
- Uzzy

Developed by DONTNOD Entertainment, the finale to Sean and Daniel Diaz's road trip is here. After tragic events, heartbreak and loss, the two brothers only have one barrier left standing between them and safety in Mexico. And it's a big one.

So I finally played all of the episodes up to now last month, and I found there's quite a lot to enjoy about Life is Strange 2. It's a road trip buddy movie, focusing on the relationship between two brothers, dealing with the aftermath of a tragic event, deeply embedded in the political environment of today's America. There's a lot of heart, some excellent performances from the two main actors, and it's full of those wonderful quieter moments, that really get to the heart of the all too human characters the game is about. I'm excited for the ending, and to see where the Life is Strange franchise goes from here. Mr Diaz, tear down this wall.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
- Uzzy

From Draw Distance, Coteries of New York is a visual novel set in the World of Darkness, focusing on the bloodsucking fiends of New York City. You play as a newly embraced Kindred, a vampire, caught up in the power struggle that dominates the nights, the endless conflict between the traditional Camarilla and the rebellious Anarchs. Pick from one of three clans, and use your unique powers to gather allies, defeat enemies and maybe just survive.

Since Paradox Interactive bought the rights to the World of Darkness, it's been clear that there would be new video games made in it, and the setting's so varied you could fit in all manner of games in it. My dream of a Crusader Kings 2 style Vampire Grand Strategy game is yet to emerge, but in the meantime we have this fascinating visual novel that is hopefully going to be good. It's quality will say a lot about how Paradox are treating the setting.

Budget Cuts 2: Mission Insolvency
- Devin

Budget Cuts 2: Mission Insolvency is a stealth-action VR title, and followup to an early and popular full VR game. The teleportation in the game feels great, but it also allows you to preview an area before moving there, so you can avoid nasty surprises. Throwing knives in the first game felt great, and the sequel looks like it will add quite a few interesting new tools. Designed to be playable without playing the original, this is a great game for people just getting into VR.

gK65o0a.png

Nothing Yet! Maybe go play the Die Hard Trilogy, or get Parasite Eve working on an emulator. Some real christmas classics those!

JIfmoDo.png

Halo: Reach
- Uzzy

Where do you even start with a series as big as Halo? Turns out, the beginning.

The Halo series loomed very large in my teenage years. I still remember spending days playing the local multiplayer in Halo 1, having saved up my paper round money for one of those giant original Xbox's. But my most memorable experiences were completing each of the campaigns on the hardest difficulty, legendary. So, with the Halo games finally* making their way to PC, it feels right to go back to that challenge.

People who have obtained 'A Monument To All Your Sins' achievement
GxAoYEU.png

• Notice a poster that is obnoxious or harmful to the thread? REPORT THEM.
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your game stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • NO ANIME/J- ROCK/POP.
  • Maybe try not to drive posters away for sharing their thoughts on video games, alright? If you're not wanting to purchase a game for any reason, and someone discusses it in entirely unrelated terms, you don't necessarily have to tell them that you're not going to purchase it for that reason. I know that's something I could do better myself. That's not to say you can't discuss that reason, of course, you just don't have to everytime someone mentions a game in an unrelated context.

LfFWMTH.png

• How do I use Gift Bot? - Check here.
  • How do I recommend a game / challenge / retro to the OP? - Send Uzzy a PM
  • What are Queen Of Hunting's reshades? How do I use them? - Reshade is an open-source advanced, fully generic post-processing injector for games and video. Queen has been working on Reshade sets for a while. Most examples of Reshades she has seen have been full of Bloom and other exaggerated effects. She wanted to go for more subtle changes, like removing horrible tints in games, maxing textures better or color correcting to enhance the atmosphere of games. You can find the excellent Reshade's here.

LwKHelT.png

The SteamERA Community was founded on Discord on October 2017, a stranded bunch of SteamGAF who united together and embraced on what we thought was the end of times. However as more people joined we found hope and soon started to formulate and plan for the future. This thread would not be possible without the community we have on Discord and I encourage all of you to join if you have not.

You can join this amazing community on Discord with this link:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
Game of the Year/Decade Poll
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
z0Yo3J7.png

As always, the Game of the Year Poll will return in January. But this year is special, as it'll be joined by something else.

ZcoNn7k.png

The proposed categories are these
  • Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019 is eligible. Remakes/Remasters are all eligible.
  • Ongoing Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform prior to 1st January 2019 that has received a content update of any kind between 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019.
  • Early Access Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019 in 'Early Access'
And

• Game of the Decade - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2010 to 31st December 2019.
Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
December will be the backlog month as usual.

But Life is Strange 2 is finally completed, huh. I guess I'll pick it up in this Winter sale.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
excited to go through the halo series for the first time. bring on Reach!

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Really excited to finish off life is strange 2, playing the episodes at release was a pain with the gaps in between but I am impatient.

Also looking forward to replaying Reach. It's been a while!

great OT Uzzy!

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
z0Yo3J7.png

As always, the Game of the Year Poll will return in January. But this year is special, as it'll be joined by something else.

ZcoNn7k.png

The proposed categories are these
  • Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019 is eligible. Remakes/Remasters are all eligible.
  • Ongoing Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform prior to 1st January 2019 that has received a content update of any kind between 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019.
  • Early Access Game of the Year - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2019 in 'Early Access'
And

• Game of the Decade - Any game released on a PC Platform 1st January 2010 to 31st December 2019.
Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Good to see this carrying on All of them see like good categories. On the plus side I am not running it so no more fuck ups lol

n5IiTVt.png

But in all seriousness Uzzy give a shout if you need any help or information with this. Having done several of these it is time consuming and thank you for doing this.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the fence on the Darksiders game... waiting for impressions. And since I'm getting Halo on Gamepass this month appears to be a little easier on the wallet, until I buy a lot games I'm not going to play on the sales... so the usual.

Huge thank you for the nice thread!

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
my top 20 games of 2019:
1 Metro Exodus
2 Control
3 Outer Worlds
4 Disco Elysium
5 A Plague Tale: Innocence
6 Observation
7 Outer Wilds
8 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
9 Deliver Us to the Moon
10 Eliza
11 Resident Evil 2
12 Days Gone
13 Neo Cab
14 Life is Strange 2
15 Night Call
16 Devil May Cry 5
17 Bloodstained: RotN
18 The Occupation
19 Heaven's Vault
20 198X

only 1 console game made the list this year.

There were a ton of games I really loved this year, this was the hardest top 10 list to make in a while!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's really frustrating that the biggest PC gaming thing to happen in a while is something I have to try to feel excited about.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
But in all seriousness Uzzy give a shout if you need any help or information with this. Having done several of these it is time consuming and thank you for doing this.

I may take you up on that!

Game of the Decade is going to be wild. There's some crazy heavyweights in there, Starcraft 2 vs Crusader Kings 2 vs Total War Shogun 2, Portal 2 vs Borderlands 2, DOTA 2 vs LoL, The Walking Dead vs Life is Strange, Dishonoured vs Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Witcher 2 vs Witcher 3 vs Dark Souls, Skyrim vs Mass Effect 2 vs Dragon Age 2 (clearly the winner)

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
forcing myself to play through Left Alive (it's so bad) slowly, There are 14 chapters, 4 more to go.
But it's funny looking at the achievement stats as to the drop off of people who stopped playing
dK83Ssm.png

curious what the percentage will be for finishing the game hah

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still curious about Coteries of NY, I have a feeling it'll be good because it's hard to screw up a VN.
Never been much of a Halo fan but since I got Gamepass I'll try Reach for a bit.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
are there actually any notable anime games coming out this month on PC
this month seems pretty dry
I know of Omega Labyrinth Life but I don't think we can talk about that one.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I'm so excited for Halo: Reach. I grew up playing all the Halo games, and Reach was one of the last games I played on Xbox 360 before I moved to being primarily a PC gamer. I'm ready to revisit all those games, especially Halo 1.

May 30, 2018
has there been any indication whether the 20% humble discount will continue with the move over to the new humble monthly system or whether it will go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.