• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hi PC Era, has anyone played Northgard? It's
Question of the Day: How do you feel about shadows?

Do you turn them off? Keep them low? Max them up? Are they the primary contributor to performance in games? Is there a lot of difference between medium and low?

Lately I've been feeling like I should turn them to their lowest setting, to see how much they improve my games, and if they're less taxing on my laptop's GPU. I usually keep them on medium. But if turning them low doesn't make much of a visual difference and improves performance I'll have to go that route. I just haven't experimented much since I got back into PC gaming last year. Don't think I can turn them off though, that will probably make every game look ugly?
Off unless
A. They are not impacting fps and performance
B. They are not shitty looking shadows (darksiders 2)

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly interesting
U1htXEw.png

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Do you turn them off? Keep them low? Max them up? Are they the primary contributor to performance in games? Is there a lot of difference between medium and low?

Lately I've been feeling like I should turn them to their lowest setting, to see how much they improve my games, and if they're less taxing on my laptop's GPU. I usually keep them on medium. But if turning them low doesn't make much of a visual difference and improves performance I'll have to go that route. I just haven't experimented much since I got back into PC gaming last year. Don't think I can turn them off though, that will probably make every game look ugly?
Depends on the game but never off. Framerate is king for me, if I need extra frames I just lower them until before they start looking too pixelated and attention grabbing. I'm ok with them not being perfect if that means smoother framerate, but the second they start getting too blocky or jumpy is a hell no. I love it when games do a good job of lowering shadow quality and performance impact while making then still look decent, and I hate it when lowering from Ultra means PS2 shadows.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Can you share this email? Does it explicitly say the user isn't a friend? Or maybe its someone who changed their handle?
Sure. How do I restrict the post to only visible for those who post in this thread?

Steam doesn't refer the user as my friend, only "user". I've checked their profile and I''m sure that they aren't my friend. Steam itself only tells me to ignore the request if I don't want to share my Library, so I guess it isn't really important security-wise for Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Germany we have a very cool tradition regarding videogames, did you know?
When a kid reaches its 6th birhtday, its parents and extended family will take it to the videogame isle of their local electronic store, then they will all put on blindfolds, lift the kid and throw it into the isle itself.

The simulator game that the kids nose lands on will be what the kid is destined to do for a living.

What happens if you hit the box set?

KypqEBy.jpg

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
sorry if this question belongs somewhere else. it's more of a technical question.

the new GPU scaling setting doesn't work for me in the latest nvidia drivers. under the 3d global settings i had image sharpening set to on with x0.50 sharpening and the GPU scaling box ticked. i was playing games at 2176x1224 on a 2560x1440 monitor. it works fine in games but enabling it globally messes up some applications so i disabled it and enabled image sharpening on a per game basis.

however, if you do it on a per game basis you can't select GPU scaling. only sharpening. What I've done is set a custom resolution of 2176x1224. under "adjust desktop size and position" i have gpu/aspect ratio scaling enabled (with override ticked). if i play games at 2176x1224 is it scaling just the same as it was with GPU scaling enabled globally under 3D settings?

also, is it worth trying out integer scaling? would that work better? i read that it would make playing 1080p look better on my 1440p screen but not sure about resolutions like 1224p.

thanks.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
sorry if this question belongs somewhere else. it's more of a technical question.

the new GPU scaling setting doesn't work for me in the latest nvidia drivers. under the 3d global settings i had image sharpening set to on with x0.50 sharpening and the GPU scaling box ticked. i was playing games at 2176x1224 on a 2560x1440 monitor. it works fine in games but enabling it globally messes up some applications so i disabled it and enabled image sharpening on a per game basis.

however, if you do it on a per game basis you can't select GPU scaling. only sharpening. What I've done is set a custom resolution of 2176x1224. under "adjust desktop size and position" i have gpu/aspect ratio scaling enabled (with override ticked). if i play games at 2176x1224 is it scaling just the same as it was with GPU scaling enabled globally under 3D settings?

also, is it worth trying out integer scaling? would that work better? i read that it would make playing 1080p look better on my 1440p screen but not sure about resolutions like 1224p.

thanks.
Integer scaling is only for 2d / pixel style games if i remember correctly. It should not affect other types of games.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Hi PC Era, has anyone played Northgard? It's currently on sale on Steam and thinking of getting it.
I enjoyed my time with it, and I've been meaning to go back since it's been updated since I played it. It's been a few years since I played it, but I remember it being a really enjoyable RTS.

Just checked the sale and I may pick up the rest of the DLC. For that price I'd definitely recommend it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Shadow mapping was great in the 360 days, as we finally got outdoor shadows that looked about right, but today they're fucking horrid. Biggest visual detriment to RDR2. The penumbra do not vary a fraction of what is needed. At best the sunlight simulate a movie set where the "sun" is 20 feet above the trees.

That's nothing to say of the artifacting, which basically destroys self-shadowing quality. This needs to always be augmented with something like Nvidia's precision shadows (forget the name) as we see in FF15 PC (can you believe iOS autocorrected 'FF15 PC max settings' to 'game'.)

You have games like Jedi Order whose visual quality might have gone from great to absolutely top tier with better shadows.

needless to say I max them, and we NEED a MUCH higher max. RT shadows in every game, NOW.

Shadows are and will continue to be a demanding part of visual simulation, but an absolutely necessary one.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow quality is the first to go for me. I know it does a lot for the visuals, but it's usually too much to handle for my 970. I would never turn them off though. That would look super weird. i'd sooner turn off AO than shadows.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I mostly play strategy/sim/indie games, and leave AAA games to my trusty old PS4, so I should probably keep shadows at low settings. I can run something like TW: Rome II fine, but now and then the FPS drops, so hopefully low shadows will iron that out.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Hi PC Era, has anyone played Northgard? It's currently on sale on Steam and thinking of getting it.

I have played quite a bit, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a great RTS game, with an excellent art direction and amazing aesthetics. I definitely recommend, even more so if it's on sale. (Although I might not be 100% impartial either, since one of my closest friend work in that studio, and I love them lots).

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I mostly play strategy/sim/indie games, and leave AAA games to my trusty old PS4, so I should probably keep shadows at low settings. I can run something like TW: Rome II fine, but now and then the FPS drops, so hopefully low shadows will iron that out.
This isn't an informed opinion, but shadows would probably be a huge performance hog in a game like Total War with so many characters running around and casting shadows on the environment and possibly each other. In that case just drop it, unless it makes the world look too weird.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This isn't an informed opinion, but shadows would probably be a huge performance hog in a game like Total War with so many characters running around and casting shadows on the environment and possibly each other. In that case just drop it, unless it makes the world look too weird.

I get FPS drops on the campaign map when it's autumn with rain and fog, would lower shadows impact that I wonder? Or is another setting responsible for that? Particle effects? I do like having the campaign map look pretty though.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up: if are going to play the old version of Darksiders for achievements, make sure to make unique saves because some of the achievements are buggy, and might take multiple attempts to unlock.

Honestly just play the newer version.
I did notice that too. Any sane person should play the newer version but I'm in too deep a long time ago.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So i've just received my $5 steam controller and already I see a little damage on the left thumb stick... wtf?

Holding it feels nice but oh boy it doesn't even feel like a $40 controller...
I feel you. I bought one full price a few years ago and ended up selling it. It's not comfortable and the face button placement and size doesn't take actually using the controller for gaming into consideration. I'm over 6' with decently sized hands and it's not easy to transition from the right pad to the buttons fluidly. It's poorly designed. That said, I did buy another one for $5. But I will be using it as an HTPC remote.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
GreedFall is also out on GOG now. I already bought it on Steam week 1 though, and there's so many more games in my wishlist.

Never buying a Focus title Day 1 on Steam again, that's for sure.

They need to get more games onto GOG connect.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
It's included in 2 from what it sounds like.
"Description
In addition to the above goodies, the Digital Classic Edition includes: GOG.com code for Wasteland 1: The Original Classic."
The free Wasteland 2 copy comes with a code for Wasteland 1.

I can't find the code for Wasteland 1. It's not in the email I received and it doesn't see to be anywhere in my account.
Any idea where it could be?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
With thanks to someone else in the PSA add this game topic:

Games>Wasteland 2 Directors Cut>More>Serial Keys there is a link to redeem Wasteland 1

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet all this shit is automated behind your back, probably EA sending Epic the info instead of Epic snooping.
Honestly after the initial "Epic seems to look into your Steam friend list" scare of the beginning, I wouldn't be surprised if the launcher sniffed your registry to find all installed game.
That's my main reason to never install that shit on my computer. All these free games are not free, they are traded against information about you.

The Survivalists trailer really irked me with it, and I would honestly put the Fallen Order Guy on the same bag.
Ah! I thought I was the only one finding the game extremely problematic. Colonialist Fantasy: The Video Game.

1 gift from crimsonheadGCN

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from crimsonheadGCN crimsonheadGCN!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

crimsonheadGCN said:
DECEMBER 2019 HUMBLE CHOICE

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Won by Juno (59 entries)

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Honestly after the initial "Epic seems to look into your Steam friend list" scare of the beginning, I wouldn't be surprised if the launcher sniffed your registry to find all installed game.
That's my main reason to never install that shit on my computer. All these free games are not free, they are traded against information about you.

Ah! I thought I was the only one finding the game extremely problematic. Colonialist Fantasy: The Video Game.
The Chrome browser is the worst in this regard.
It will scan every drive connected to your PC and log every program installed.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Integer scaling is only for 2d / pixel style games if i remember correctly. It should not affect other types of games.
no it's not.

it's useful for playing 1080p on a 4K screen. instead of it being a blurry mess it looks closer to playing 1080p on a native 1080p screen with integer scaling. nvidia only demoed it with 2d/pixel style game.

i was just asking if it was worth using at 1224p but i doubt it.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I feel you. I bought one full price a few years ago and ended up selling it. It's not comfortable and the face button placement and size doesn't take actually using the controller for gaming into consideration. I'm over 6' with decently sized hands and it's not easy to transition from the right pad to the buttons fluidly. It's poorly designed. That said, I did buy another one for $5. But I will be using it as an HTPC remote.

It's such a "better on paper" controller. Love it in theory but holy shit does it just feel terrible in the hands

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
no it's not.

it's useful for playing 1080p on a 4K screen. instead of it being a blurry mess it looks closer to playing 1080p on a native 1080p screen with integer scaling. nvidia only demoed it with 2d/pixel style game.

i was just asking if it was worth using at 1224p but i doubt it.
ooooooooh, thats nice to know. Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.