• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang early chest got a shirt I like a lot

p5eqer0.jpg

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
After advising someone who was looking for PC games to go try Settlers II, I reinstalled the GOLD version off GOG. I figured, " I could just do some work on my laptop, while my settlers are building up proper production chains"

I'm hooked again. It's simple, but so, so good. The military is totally rudimentary, bu that just makes the whole thing feel even more wholesome.

Apparently the Anniversary edition only has 3 races though. Wtf, Ubi? How would that be considered a good deal? I'll stick with my DOS-pixel sprites, tyvm.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Surgeon Sim 2 is self published by bossa and is timed exclusive.

www.epicgames.com

Surgeon Simulator 2 | Download and Buy Today - Epic Games Store

Download and play Surgeon Simulator 2 at the Epic Games Store. Check for platform availability and price!

Ah. I see this is reflected on the website and EGS store page, but the announcement trailer says Epic owns the game, so there must have been some sort of misunderstanding going on when it was put together.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Welp, it took me around 6 hours to ghost the entire Clockwork Mansion level (including the two city parts before the mansion) in Dishonored 2 while also non-lethally taking out every guard and destroying every clockwork robot.

It doesn't help that the clockwork soldiers are weirdly inconsistent with their awareness states. I'd drop onto a robot, carving off its head, land next to it, and half the time it'd register as seeing me and half the time it wouldn't. Same with tossing grenades at one; you'd throw one, and go around the corner before it explodes and sometimes it'd register as seeing you and sometimes it wouldn't (though it was consistent to the situation - ie - if a robot would register as 'seeing you' when hit with a grenade, it always would, whereas one that doesn't, always doesn't). It's also weird that the clockwork soldiers that would register as 'seeing you' when a grenade goes off, would not register as seeing you if you point blank shot them with the pistol (which is basically as loud). So it's not the noise that was setting them off. Lots of save scumming to ghost them all dead.

I also realize now why they did away with the marble clockwork soldiers from the announcement CG trailer - the entire premise of the level is that the clockwork soldiers are ridiculously expensive and the inventor was looking for a way to reduce the costs of making them so he could make an army of them. It sure wouldn't make sense to have them encased in marble under that lore, so it makes sense they went with wood ones, even if they don't look as cool.

Also, Dishonored 2 delivers some next level memes on the enemy barks.

"Gotta keep my mind on my duties. Forget about that kiss. Mmmmmmmmmmmm that kiss....."
"Of course I can read! What does he think I'm stupid? I know all my letters and then some..."
"H I J K... el..ement..aly"

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with Way of the Samurai? Is it like Yakuza but with an ancient setting?

1 gift from vastag

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from vastag vastag!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

vastag said:
Some leftover from this month's humble choice

These are our awesome prizes:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Way of the Samurai? Is it like Yakuza but with an ancient setting?
It's more of a chose-your-own-adventure type of game. I suppose it's closer to some CRPG?( I haven't played many of those, so I'm not sure the comparison is good). I haven't played one in over 10 years, so my memory is a bit foggy. But generally:
You arrive in a town, there's several factions, depending on your actions you either ally with one or several, make them kill each other or make peace with each other... There's often a lot of different endings depending on what you did, said or chose. The combat is generally serviceable, with many different sword moves to learn, though in the differences were not really obvious in ones I've played (1 and 3).
It's written like a lot of historical TV drama, with very cliché writing (on purpose) that make them quite entertaining. The breadth of possibilities in the scenario is often really engaging, so a game should be replayed several times to try to fuck up the situation in different ways (or discover more secrets about the town). It's generally 10h long, and you have NG+ to re-start from scratch with the combat possibilities you had (or money?).
I haven't played the new one, but it's supposed to have a sort of infinite dungeon, so I suppose the combat should be better than before?

There was also a spin-off towards the end of the PS2, Samurai Western, which was the same kind of thing, with a wandering samurai arriving in a gold-rush town and going through western movie clichés instead of TV drama clichés. I've heard it was really fun.

All in all, you could call them proto-RGG in terms of combat and "it's a small open world with high density of characters and quests on PS2", except with many different outcomes. I do think RGG killed the series by being superior in terms of gameplay, even though they removed the branching narrative. Even though I enjoyed WS3, I only finished it once because the gameplay, by that time, had become quite antiquated so I went online to read about the other possible outcomes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is the browser in the Steam in-game overlay hot garbage lately or is it just on my end? Tabs just keep freezing constantly :I

Last edited:

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm still having problems with the new library. The performance is just not good. When I search a game, by typing it's name in the search field, the characters appear one by one with a heavy lag.
Is it just not build for libraries with 2000 games? Does anybody else experience these kings of problems?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm still having problems with the new library. The performance is just not good. When I search a game, by typing it's name in the search field, the characters appear one by one with a heavy lag.
Is it just not build for libraries with 2000 games? Does anybody else experience these kings of problems?

I have 3600 games and I do not experience that. Everythings as fast as it should be.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feelsbadman, bought some games and now having to travel and not having access to my desktop anymore.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have 3600 games and I do not experience that. Everythings as fast as it should be.

I also have the issue that it takes around 3-5 minutes until a game starts, when I freshly booted my system.
When I started one game, they all start really quickly afterwards, but the first start takes really long.
Maybe I have to do a clean install or can I clean up my Steam install somehow?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I also have the issue that it takes around 3-5 minutes until a game starts, when I freshly booted my system.
When I started one game, they all start really quickly afterwards, but the first start takes really long.
Maybe I have to do a clean install or can I clean up my Steam install somehow?
Five minutes? That's pretty wild. Are you running games off of an external backup drive or something?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to get the Daemon game cause we sure as heck have been starving for a mech action game on PC but I wasn't too sure about the gameplay and the pricing was a tad high for something that I was not 100% on. Decided to get the State of Decay update instaed.

Good to see it doing well though, game didn't seem like it had any real press before release.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Wolcen is at 14k reviews on Steam (Mixed), 1 critic at Metacritic, and doesn't even exist at Opencritic.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They could have sell a lot more copies at 60$ year ago.
They probably did on PS4 and Xbox. I wonder how many of the complainers a year ago never had any intention of buying it anyway, so you can't count all of those as lost $60 sales. I'm sure they weighed up all of their sales forecasts and guaranteed revenue and made the best decision for their business at the time.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
They probably did on PS4 and Xbox. I wonder how many of the complainers a year ago never had any intention of buying it anyway, so you can't count all of those as lost $60 sales. I'm sure they weighed up all of their sales forecasts and guaranteed revenue and made the best decision for their business at the time.

Console sales are less profitable than Steam sales though.

And clearly there has been tons of people who did wait and are now buying game,
surely not all might have bought at $60 but they might have bought at $50,40 or 30 instead of $24.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Console sales are less profitable than Steam sales though.

And clearly there has been tons of people who did wait and are now buying game,
surely not all might have bought at $60 but they might have bought at $50,40 or 30 instead of $24.
They might have bought on console too at full price rather than wait. Margins on console digital are almost the same as Steam. All I'm saying is, the publisher had more information than us and probably made the best decision for themselves at the time, and we don't have enough information even with hindsight to say they made the wrong choice for their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.