• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Is it abuse if it is within the rules? Doubtful. Steam rules say you cannot use it to rent games. But GOGs? Sorta sounds like I could use GOG to rent games now lol.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Is it abuse if it is within the rules? Doubtful. Steam rules say you cannot use it to rent games. But GOGs? Sorta sounds like I could use GOG to rent games now lol.
GOG explicitly says that they still have the option to ban you from refunds if you are exploiting it. If you use GOG to "rent" games, you are just basically pirating a game that is already DRM free, taking an extra step to try and not feel the guilt.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
GOG should have gone with 30 days and 3 hours played, something like that. Still very generous. And more importantly, consistent. Buyers needn't worry that their request may be denied because other others abused things. Devs would know people aren't finishing their games then getting full refunds. GOG wouldn't need to review and police requests or complaints about denied refunds. And it would still be a better return policy than most or all their competitors.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
GOG should have gone with 30 days and 3 hours played, something like that. Still very generous. And more importantly, consistent. Buyers needn't worry that their request may be denied because other others abused things. Devs would know people aren't finishing their games then getting full refunds. GOG wouldn't need to review and police requests or complaints about denied refunds. And it would still be a better return policy than most or all their competitors.
Hours played have 0 value on GOG because the important part is download. Once you download a DRM free version of the game, the hours played are meaningless (as you can just refund).
There is a reason the previous refund policy of GOG was tied to download.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hours played have 0 value on GOG because the important part is download. Once you download a DRM free version of the game, the hours played are meaningless (as you can just refund).
There is a reason the previous refund policy of GOG was tied to download.
14 days and not downloaded is the typical return policy because that's EU law, and aside from playing time maybe complicating things, many companies don't feel the need to offer more than the legal requirement.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if a refund is guaranteed. They "reserve the right to refuse refunds". If other people abuse it, that might impact the success of a refund request by someone else. There's a lack of consistency there.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
nvGAX9l.jpg

Managed to solve five mysteries, got five keys, entered the lighthouse, climbed up...my mind snapped. Fuck this game honestly. I feel it depends too much from RNG, if you get screwed from the start with the gods (like the one preventing you from healing with the bath) you should just reroll and start from scratch because there's no way you'll manage to proceed. And this happens way too often in the game, it feels like everything is out of your control.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
14 days and not downloaded is the typical return policy because that's EU law, and aside from playing time maybe complicating things, many companies don't feel the need to offer more than the legal requirement.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if a refund is guaranteed. They "reserve the right to refuse refunds". If other people abuse it, that might impact the success of a refund request by someone else. There's a lack of consistency there.
The "right to refuse refunds" is always handled on a per user basis (as that user is the one exploiting it). It means that if a user is exploiting refunds, he is the one getting the stick, not everybody else.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are such a little shit you are of the "beat games and refund" train of thought, there's no way you are not just going to pirate something and save yourself the time and money. These are GoG games, they are on torrent sites within moments. Why bother risking an account, money, and time for it if your end game is free games?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
What would the new policy allow that was not previously possible for pirates? Like, one guy will buy the game, then download it and refund it, and finally upload the build to a pirate repository so that his fellow pirates can enjoy it. This can happen, as long as there exists a refund policy. Nothing new. Even if there is no refund policy, it would also be possible for someone to buy the game, and share it nevertheless, because the build is DRM-free anyway and one does not risk anything by sharing.

So, what else? Are devs seriously afraid that people who do not pirate games would buy the game, play it to completion and ask for a refund? GOG is not like Steam: there is no trading card, you don't get anything besides the game, right? Or would it be to review-bomb a game, or to unlock achievements? Are there some people so afraid of their government that they are not going to pirate a game, but would gladly go through the hassle of abusing a store policy to "legally" borrow a DRM-free version of a game just so that they could unlock achievements? How many such people are there?

Really, it seems like a non-issue.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What would the new policy allow that was not previously possible for pirates? Like, one guy will buy the game, then download it and refund it, and finally upload the build to a pirate repository so that his fellow pirates can enjoy it. This can happen, as long as there exists a refund policy. Nothing new. Even if there is no refund policy, it would also be possible for someone to buy the game, and share it nevertheless, because the build is DRM-free anyway and one does not risk anything by sharing.

So, what else? Are devs seriously afraid that people would buy the game, play it to completion and ask for a refund? GOG is not like Steam: there is no trading card, you don't get anything besides the game, right? Why would anyone bother if they can pirate the game instead? Or would it be to review-bomb a game, or to unlock achievements?

It is a non-issue, like you say those intent on pirating will find a way to either.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
what was the name of that psychadelic looking top down action rpg that came out like 2 years ago? It has a really weird look, like some fucked up kid's drawing.

Oct 25, 2017
GOG explicitly says that they still have the option to ban you from refunds if you are exploiting it. If you use GOG to "rent" games, you are just basically pirating a game that is already DRM free, taking an extra step to try and not feel the guilt.

I have not read that but I did read this and that is pretty powerful language. Also, pirating? Really? No.

starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I have not read that but I did read this and that is pretty powerful language. Also, pirating? Really? No.
I mean, your plan was to buy a game, play it and finish it in 30 days and then ask for a refund so that you get back the money you bought the game for. That is not renting the game, as you get back all the money.

Edit: about the exploit part:
support.gog.com

GOG Voluntary Refund Policy

How does your updated Voluntary Refund Policy work?The updated policy lets you refund a product up to 30 days after purchase, even if it was downloaded, launched, and played. Yes, you read that cor...

We're monitoring the effects of the current update to make sure no one is using this policy to hurt the developers that put their time and heart into making great games. We may refuse refunds in such individual cases. We'd also let you know about any future adjustments in the voluntary Refund Policy in advance.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when we'll get digital game rentals

Like pay $5 to rent this game for a month or whatever

Oct 25, 2017
It is a very strange user agreement that does not reflect really at all what they are claiming it is. It is arguably false or misleading advertisement to say you can refund any game up to 30 days, that's it, but according to the user agreement that is not it at all.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So, what else? Are devs seriously afraid that people who do not pirate games would buy the game, play it to completion and ask for a refund? GOG is not like Steam: there is no trading card, you don't get anything besides the game, right? Or would it be to review-bomb a game, or to unlock achievements? Are there some people so afraid of their government that they are not going to pirate a game, but would gladly go through the hassle of abusing a store policy to "legally" borrow a DRM-free version of a game just so that they could unlock achievements? How many such people are there?

Someone takes the hit on transaction fees, you could buy and refund to make pubs/gog lose money.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It is a very strange user agreement that does not reflect really at all what they are claiming it is. It is arguably false or misleading advertisement to say you can refund any game up to 30 days, that's it, but according to the user agreement that is not it at all.
As long as you are operating with good faith they accept any refund up to 30 days. You dont see a ton of asterisks in these kind of advertisements because everyone understands that these agreements are valid as long as both parts act in good faith.
And yes, playing through all your games in a month only to refund them and get 100% of the money back is not acting in good faith in GOGs (or any store) eyes.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Going through all the effort to buy then play to completeion and refund games just to sneakily avoid not having to pay for it is like piracy with extra steps lol

Why bother at that point

*Gog does infact have like GOG Dollarydoos

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you are operating with good faith they accept any refund up to 30 days. You dont see a ton of asterisks in these kind of advertisements because everyone understands that these agreements are valid as long as both parts act in good faith.
And yes, playing through all your games in a month only to refund them and get 100% of the money back is not acting in good faith in GOGs (or any store) eyes.

I would point out there is no intent examination at all since the blog post literally says that's it. Does not say anything about the game being broken or whatever reason why you might be returning it. That's it? Well, no. Not even close.

c)
Money back guarantee:
if you buy any GOG content and have significant technical issues with it (e.g. there is a major show stopper bug in a game that prevents you from finishing it), we will give you a full refund if all the following requirements are met:

• (i) You must have genuine significant technical issues with the GOG content.
  • (ii) You need to contact GOG Customer Support to request the refund within 30 days of the original purchase (if you received it from a GOG-authorised exchange for another product, then the 30 day period starts running from the date of exchange).
  • (iii) GOG Customer Support must have a reasonable time period in which to try to resolve the issue before they process the refund to you.

As you can see it has to be a significant technical issue, which is largely undefined but vaguely alluded to as major show stopper that prevents you from finishing it (whatever that really means), and you have to give them a reasonable time period (another vaguely defined factor) to resolve the issue. Just to review the news post on their site...

And it all sums up in one sentence: starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it.

I think it is clear a reasonable consumer is mislead based on that statement... easily.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Seems Amazon coming with all their games.

I would point out there is no intent examination at all since the blog post literally says that's it. Does not say anything about the game being broken or whatever reason why you might be returning it. That's it? Well, no. Not even close.

As you can see it has to be a significant technical issue, which is largely undefined but vaguely alluded to as major show stopper that prevents you from finishing it (whatever that really means), and you have to give them a reasonable time period (another vaguely defined factor) to resolve the issue. Just to review the news post on their site...

I think it is clear a reasonable consumer is mislead based on that statement... easily.
Thats the old methodology, the newest one (which I linked before!):
support.gog.com

How does your updated Voluntary Refund Policy work?The updated policy lets you refund a product up to 30 days after purchase, even if it was downloaded, launched, and played. Yes, you read that cor...

How does your updated voluntary Refund Policy work?
The updated policy lets you refund a product up to 30 days after purchase, even if it was downloaded, launched, and played. Yes, you read that correctly. :)
To apply for a refund, you should contact our Customer Support Team within 30 days of your purchase, and our team will sort it out as soon as possible.
However, if the reason you are seeking a refund is that your game is not working (yet!), please consider contacting our friendly Tech Support folk first. They will do their best to help you get the game working on your machine.
We're monitoring the effects of the current update to make sure no one is using this policy to hurt the developers that put their time and heart into making great games. We may refuse refunds in such individual cases. We'd also let you know about any future adjustments in the voluntary Refund Policy in advance.

How often can I refund my games? Is there some sort of limit?
We trust that you're making informed purchasing decisions and will use this updated voluntary Refund Policy only if something doesn't work as you expected.
This is why there are no limits but instead, we reserve the right to refuse refunds in individual cases.
Please respect all the time and hard work put into making the games you play and remember that refunds are not reviews. If you finished the game and didn't like it, please consider sharing your opinion instead. Also, please don't take advantage of our trust by asking for an unreasonable amount of games to be refunded. Don't be that person. No one likes that person.

Both clearly point that the game not working is only one of those things.

Oct 25, 2017

Seems Amazon coming with all their games.

Thats the old methodology, the newest one (which I linked before!):
support.gog.com

That is not the user agreement. That is just an article. Click the actual user agreement link found at the bottom of that article.

here:
support.gog.com

GOG User Agreement

Hello, GOG user! We hope you have a great time playing games and doing other cool things via GOG.COM and GOG Galaxy. We've put a lot of work into building GOG.COM and GOG Galaxy and as a result we ...

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That is not the user agreement. That is just an article. Click the actual user agreement link found at the bottom of that article.

here:
support.gog.com

GOG User Agreement

Hello, GOG user! We hope you have a great time playing games and doing other cool things via GOG.COM and GOG Galaxy. We've put a lot of work into building GOG.COM and GOG Galaxy and as a result we ...

WIld guess but, pretty sure it's out of date
SjfUcq0.png
As I said (and Mad pointed out), that was the old version.

The other thing I was refering (losing your right to refund after downloading) was:

7.4 Final sale: a sale is considered final either 30 days after purchase or when you try to download the GOG content or any additional/bonus content. Once either of those happens, you no longer will have any return, exchange or refund options unless you have technical issues covered by paragraph (c) above. Virtual items/currency not covered by section 7.3. and we cannot therefore offer voluntary refund, early exchange, money back guarantee or voluntary withdrawal rights regarding them, but still sections 7.1. and 7.2. may apply.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
And it all sums up in one sentence: starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it.

here:
support.gog.com

GOG User Agreement

Which part are you referring to? Their policy update on the site says they reserve the right to refuse refund, and their user agreement you linked says you have 30 days to request a refund.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, that was the old version.

The other thing I was refering (losing your right to refund after downloading) was:

It does not matter when it states it was last updated. It could state it was last updated in 1999 and it would still be the user agreement. It is the controlling user agreement as far as any consumer can tell. It is linked to via the news post -> and the article.

And if you take a moment and look at it for a minute... last updated... 26th of February.... 2019... likely because they simply put 2019 as an accident when they meant 2020. Not that THAT matters even a smidge. Just sloppy work lol

edit:
Forgot to address the final sale thing. So you are saying this must be the old version because it is saying you cannot refund after downloading/playing/etc.? Well, no that paragraph does not say that. Please read the second sentence in the paragraph: Once either of those happens, you no longer will have any return, exchange or refund options unless you have technical issues covered by paragraph (c) above.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It does not matter when it states it was last updated. It could state it was last updated in 1999 and it would still be the user agreement. It is the controlling user agreement as far as any consumer can tell. It is linked to via the news post -> and the article.

And if you take a moment and look at it for a minute... last updated... 26th of February.... 2019... likely because they simply put 2019 as an accident when they meant 2020. Not that THAT matters even a smidge. Just sloppy work lol

edit:
Forgot to address the final sale thing. So you are saying this must be the old version because it is saying you cannot refund after downloading/playing/etc.? Well, no that paragraph does not say that.
Or they just havent updated the User Agrement yet...

We’re updating our User Agreement and Privacy Policy - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

(Dated 26th Feb 2019)

unknown.png

As I said, that agreement is using the old rules. I know them well.

Oct 25, 2017
Or they just havent updated the User Agrement yet...

We’re updating our User Agreement and Privacy Policy - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

(Dated 26th Feb 2019)

unknown.png

As I said, that agreement is using the old rules. I know them well.

Either way, it is the document that is linked to. For all intents and purposes that is what is legally binding at the moment. You should not have to do a deep dive to figure out what the current user agreement is anyway. It really does not matter if this policy linked to is old or not, it is the current one. The one that says legally binding as well.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Games usually have library assets. This one does not. That would be a bit disappointing coming from a big company like Amazon.

Edit: Assets like these:

library_600x900.jpg
library_600x900.jpg
library_600x900.jpg
Taking into account that the game doesnt have a (EDIT: Public) store page yet its quite possible they are just adding all the stuff. They just added some headers for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.