• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Because I still have the Christmas voucher I could get The Outer Wilds on EGS for £5.99.

Pretty tempted as even when it comes to Steam it will take a while for it to hit anything near that price.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That does look pretty damn good.

Thanks! I swear the Witcher Eye Mod is one of the best ones to have. It seems subtle but the level of uncanny yellow it gives to Geralt makes him look so much more like a mutant in a way that makes the fear and worry people have around witchers seem more understandable.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Champion Edition is out, sweet. Only half of those costumes are Chun-Li's sadly, but we take what we can.

If the netcode improvements actually drop next week I'll be looking to host a lobby for the thread, if people are interested. Been too long since we had game days.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have somehow gotten to 20 hrs of play time in FF12, and not only do I still have no idea what I'm doing in combat, but I haven't even left Rabanastre yet. Probably left the game running in the background while I was looking up stuff about the job board. Talk about a game with many impactful early-game choices. How am I supposed to know which jobs I should assign to characters already? D:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I have somehow gotten to 20 hrs of play time in FF12, and not only do I still have no idea what I'm doing in combat, but I haven't even left Rabanastre yet. Probably left the game running in the background while I was looking up stuff about the job board. Talk about a game with many impactful early-game choices. How am I supposed to know which jobs I should assign to characters already? D:
Have you unlock Gambit system yet? The real gameplay doesn't really start until you get that.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
You can reset the board as many times as you want.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's barely anything to do with the gambit system or general battle system of 12 for like, a huge chunk of the game, since you'll just mow shit down with autoattacks like crazy (and MP gets spent rather quick if you do much spell casting).

Only

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed the windows issue by doing clean install. I'm too impatient and nervous to do backup so I just told my brother to nuke everything.

Steam have cloud saving right ? If I never manually upload my save I assume I already lose all my save ? Not really bothered tho (only really need to restart Two Point Hospital) and probably a good reason to start games I haven't touched yet (looking at Stardew Valley now).

This makes me think, can you actually backup the files for Steam games to External HDD ? Or is it not possible (maybe for piracy reason) ?

Darkflight

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed the windows issue by doing clean install. I'm too impatient and nervous to do backup so I just told my brother to nuke everything.

Steam have cloud saving right ? If I never manually upload my save I assume I already lose all my save ? Not really bothered tho (only really need to restart Two Point Hospital) and probably a good reason to start games I haven't touched yet (looking at Stardew Valley now).

This makes me think, can you actually backup the files for Steam games to External HDD ? Or is it not possible (maybe for piracy reason) ?
Devs have to enable Cloud Saves so there is always the chance a game doesn't have them - you can back a lot of saves up with https://www.gamesave-manager.com/

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Interesting stuff. Even if no real answers are found at the end. I do like the idea of a prologue though, a small free stand alone part of the game that gives people the vibe of the game, but isn't the actual game itself.

Also noteworthy, the game 'Yes, Your Grace' is out next month.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Was the Supraland demo released before or after release? Iirc it was in Early Access.

I think a demo can help but the time at which the demo releases and if the game is already released factors into it.

Game was first in Early Access but very low key one. Then demo was released and people started downloading and play ing it and after that buying game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think demo impact really depends. For some cheaper games that might look meh (like Supraland) having a demo can be a deciding factor to realize that the game is much more than it looks. For other games, it might show that the game is different from your expectations.
I was in the demo of "Yes, Your Grace" and it was much more different than what I imagined, being more story focused than what I thought when I first heard of it. I will still get the game, but I can imagine some people being a bit surprised how the first 10-20 minutes do not have that much of gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Two Point has steam cloud. Which mind you, devs have to be the ones to use it.

Besides manually doing it or doing a symbolic link to a cloud service you got Game Save Manager.

Oct 25, 2017
I would think if your game is good or serves a niche well and has value beyond the demo then it will help sales, otherwise not so much.

Edit: Also, isn't releasing a demo 3 months before release a little early? Any buzz the demo generates will likely be gone by then, won't it?

To be fair to the guy, it is difficult to remain objective when it comes to self evaluation. I think he makes illogical leaps in logic in the thread. Such as assuming demos had any impact at all on wishlisting. That said, maybe wishlist per view count does influence the algorithm. I am not sure that means putting up a demo is a bad thing though. If you do not get views, you will never get wishlists anyway. You may convert fewer views into sales. Too many confounders to make any real conclusions I suspect.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Getting back into AC Odyssey after a year long break... it's a lot to take in and a lot to remember.
I keep holding the back button instead of just pressing it to go to the map, but holding actually does the time of day switch.
Going to do DLC at least, maybe something more. I have a bunch of quests that I'll still have left from the main game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

That ship sailed long ago.

It's not only that. There is a huge opportunity cost on these big GAAS games. They are not budgeted to be a hit in one year but rather to prop up the budget for a long time. Accepting the dead of Anthem for the long term (even if it was profitable only with day 1 sales), would have a knock down effect with the following years budgets.
There is also the problem of Anthem probably being budgeted to last for a long time so most of Bioware was continuing working on new Anthem content and there not being any easy way to transition most of the workforce without creating big redundancies or overcost.

Oct 25, 2017
It is probably cheaper, with less risk, for bioware to make anthem work than to try a whole new game. I think their decision is smart and I think can work. After all, FF14 was a shitshow originally and I hear mostly great things about it after they relaunched it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's not only that. There is a huge opportunity cost on these big GAAS games. They are not budgeted to be a hit in one year but rather to prop up the budget for a long time. Accepting the dead of Anthem for the long term (even if it was profitable only with day 1 sales), would have a knock down effect with the following years budgets.
There is also the problem of Anthem probably being budgeted to last for a long time so most of Bioware was continuing working on new Anthem content and there not being any easy way to transition most of the workforce without creating big redundancies or overcost.

From what we know Anthem development was transferred to Austin studio and Edmonton one is working on DA4 and next ME. And apparently lots of people left Austin in past year. So they are investing even more money in Anthem without any certainty in its success.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017

Champion Edition is out, sweet. Only half of those costumes are Chun-Li's sadly, but we take what we can.

If the netcode improvements actually drop next week I'll be looking to host a lobby for the thread, if people are interested. Been too long since we had game days.

I will be there.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What a huge difference...I should have upgraded sooner 😂

Rendering videos at 1080p and 60 frames per second

10 min video of a PS4 recorded footage
Old PC: 2 hours
New PC: 30 min

15 min video of a Nintendo DS recorded footage
Old PC: 6 hours
New PC: 2 hours

Damn son...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

That was very interesting.

So there's two things going on there. First, the act of demo downloading leads to no wishlist leads to worse results for the dev. The second thing is whether the demo leads to more sales and word of mouth. The former could be easily fixed by Steam. It should automatically add the game to wishlist if a user grabs the demo. After all, adding to wishlist means, "I've seen enough to be interested in this, and I'll give it another look when I get alerted that it's on sale." That's the same thing as a demo download. It also sounds like the developer doesn't know if someone who downloaded the demo later bought the game or not, which would be a helpful metric for them.

As for whether a demo leads to sales, I think there have been articles about that in years past, and obviously publishers have come to the conclusion that for their big AAA games a pre-release demo is usually a bad idea. They probably need to package a separate build so it's not 100GB, tweak the pacing, that's hard to do near the end of the games development because everyone is so busy finishing the game, which means it may be an older build and therefore less polished. Marketing also wants to control the message and the hype.

For indies, I loved what Live Arcade did on the 360. Every game had a demo, and that demo was the full game, though running it in demo mode probably meant you only got the first level, or a time limit. If you click buy, any progress you've made and achievements you would have already unlocked, are seamlessly carried over. I bought so many indie games on there compared to on PS3.

Devs: wolcen leaves early access today.
Wolcen: I'm not leaving.
tumblr_pd8nbweSn31s9y3qio3_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.