• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
EA may as well try to salvage Anthem. In the right hands, they could pull a No Mans Sky V2 maybe. I'm not sure the original hands are the best hands for that though. They had no shortage of time, resources and money, and should have done better.

I wonder if EA will ever learn that shipping something before it's ready just because they're so laser focused on the current years earnings number is a terrible idea. I've no doubt many of the dev team knew it was mediocre and not ready, and the execs preferred blind optimism over reality. They've had big issues with Battlefield launches in the past too, so there's no excuse for this. That's why they get paid the big bucks, to avoid catastrophic strategic blunders like this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
EA may as well try to salvage Anthem. In the right hands, they could pull a No Mans Sky V2 maybe. I'm not sure the original hands are the best hands for that though. They had no shortage of time, resources and money, and should have done better.

I wonder if EA will ever learn that shipping something before it's ready just because they're so laser focused on the current years earnings number is a terrible idea. I've no doubt many of the dev team knew it was mediocre and not ready, and the execs preferred blind optimism over reality. They've had big issues with Battlefield launches in the past too, so there's no excuse for this. That's why they get paid the big bucks, to avoid catastrophic strategic blunders like this.
I dont think EA has all the fault in this case for hurrying game development, they gave quite a bit of time for Bioware to make the game and the game was indeed delayed for a bit of time to the end release date after it was already set. This is more due to the bad management on Bioware that were lost and had no idea what the objective was up until the fire was in their asses and had to finish the game. It is the same situation as Andromeda, just amplified because it was a new IP, so they had to figure out the core ideas of what Anthem was.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
It should automatically add the game to wishlist if a user grabs the demo. After all, adding to wishlist means, "I've seen enough to be interested in this, and I'll give it another look when I get alerted that it's on sale." That's the same thing as a demo download.

Counterpoint: No, it shouldn't, because no, those actions do not mean the same thing.

Demos are double-edged swords. Rose doesn't publicly voice the real lesson because even though it's true, it's ugly and anticonsumer and would incur backlash: that a percentage of people who might have otherwise (impulse) bought your thing might not do so if given the opportunity to try it first, so...maybe don't give them that opportunity.

For a market as crowded as videogames, I imagine that bounce percentage is significant (and alarming, to an indie) unless your game really hits on something, or you've aimed narrowly at a specific audience and landed mostly on target.

Guessing he's internalized all this now, though.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just opened YT and was surprised to be hit with an Epic ad for Metro Exodus (and new DLC). I don't recall seeing any Epic or Metro ads before on YT.

eonden You misunderstood me. I wasn't blaming EA execs for the state of Anthem at launch, although that's definitely a topic for discussion, as I said Bioware had no shortage of money and time, and EA delayed it too. Rather I'm holding them accountable for ultimately choosing to release it in that state anyway. Either they didn't know what state it was in, in which case why are they execs, or they did and they chose the current fiscal years numbers (their FY ended just after Anthem's launch) over the long term success of the game, which is stupid and a mistake they keep on making. They could have brought in a fire team of fixers and given it another 6-7 months, and released in September instead.

Last edited:

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah that's not how I use wishlists at all.
I would just get irritated if I had to go in and remove any game I tried a demo off.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I just opened YT and was surprised to be hit with an Epic ad for Metro Exodus (and new DLC). I don't recall seeing any Epic or Metro ads before on YT.

eonden You misunderstood me. I wasn't blaming EA execs for the state of Anthem at launch, although that's definitely a topic for discussion, as I said Bioware had no shortage of money and time, and EA delayed it too. Rather I'm holding them accountable for ultimately choosing to release it in that state anyway. Either they didn't know what state it was in, in which case why are they execs, or they did and they chose the current fiscal years numbers (their FY ended just after Anthem's launch) over the long term success of the game. They could have brought in a fire team of fixers and given it another 6-7 months, and released in September instead.
I think there is a combination, at some point you already have all the PR campaign planned and that is a fuckton of money and the game was already delayed with the promise of making it better, what goes to say that another delay will actually fix the game? The team of firefighters was already there from even before the first delay with a horrible crunch.

You are right on EA still putting the game in their financial year for budget reasons (shares related), but I doubt any delay would have substantially improved the game as the main problems were in mismanagement and a core problem of "what is this game about".

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing Bioshock Infinite DLCs I am really wondering what is Ken Levine working on for years. I mean Take 2 is paying him for how long like 6-7 years now and no announcement in sight.

And they thought that Bioshock Infinite development was long.

Equirah

Oct 25, 2017
The thing from Mike and Yes, Your garce is so non-sensical because he forgets that people might just not like the demo (also because it's a singular game in a genre that's already a hardsell for a lot of people.
I can tell you I observed the exact opposite, when steam had that weekend where a selection of inde titles in production had a demo for a few days I saw a lot of people wishlisting a couple of them. Did every wishlist every single game? No, hell not even I did that but from what I think were 8 games half made it to my wishlist, some that I never would have added if not for the demo.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
While we are at Yakuza 0 i really want to start it but that is like 30h game and i don't think that i am ready for another long game XD

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still skipping because of DLC. Ubisoft stuff is much cheaper to buy packaged with DLC than DLC alone.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
While we are at Yakuza 0 i really want to start it but that is like 30h game and i don't think that i am ready for another long game XD

30hours for Yakuza 0? What is that madness? Any playthrough under 70 hours that doesn't include completing the real estate and cabaret club minigames is no playthrough of Yakuza 0

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Division sale has been fun in Sweden
The currency conversion has worked out so the base game was €1 instead of €10 for a while
I might have bought the ultimate edition with the expansion for €5.9 instead of €59

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone have thoughts/experience with the Steelseries Arctis 3? Specifically the Bluetooth model. I want a decent wireless headset with a good battery life without adding another dingle dangle dongle to my PC. Also don't want that atrocious looking gamery aesthetic that so many headsets in the price range have.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Division 2 is £7 on sale on PS4, but £2.50 on PC... quite the price difference.. is base game any good? I won't get suckered into the buy the base game cheap, and then hook me onto the new DLC. Just a new shooter to kill some time.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I'm watching KingGothalion play (or try to play) Bleeding Edge Beta and to my dismay found out that it's a Third-person game. Not sure I want to play it anymore… who even makes games that are not First-person in 2020!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

eonden You misunderstood me. I wasn't blaming EA execs for the state of Anthem at launch, although that's definitely a topic for discussion, as I said Bioware had no shortage of money and time, and EA delayed it too. Rather I'm holding them accountable for ultimately choosing to release it in that state anyway. Either they didn't know what state it was in, in which case why are they execs, or they did and they chose the current fiscal years numbers (their FY ended just after Anthem's launch) over the long term success of the game, which is stupid and a mistake they keep on making. They could have brought in a fire team of fixers and given it another 6-7 months, and released in September instead.
I got some ads for epic games store on Facebook (when I checked it for the one time every 6 months). So they exist.

I clicked why am I seeing this ad and it said it was targeting people who were fans of steam.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I know, if sales were going fine at 10 euro price they wouldn't lover it.

30hours for Yakuza 0? What is that madness? Any playthrough under 70 hours that doesn't include completing the real estate and cabaret club minigames is no playthrough of Yakuza 0

giphy.gif

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Has anyone managed to buy Code Vein from the IndieGala store during this sale? It says 48%off on the game's page but when I try to checkout it reverts to full price.

EDIT: Guess the promo was already over when I tried to checkout.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Today, we are thrilled to announce State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition, an expanded and improved version that takes everything you love about State of Decay 2 and adds tons of new content and improvements for veteran and new players alike. Best of all, this is a free, automatic upgrade for all existing owners of State of Decay 2, including all Xbox Game Pass members.
Launching with Xbox Game Pass as well as Steam on March 13 (Friday the 13th!), here are some highlights of the many visual and gameplay improvements included in Juggernaut Edition.

Hope the co-op has been fixed / is going to be fixed. Seems to have decent regional pricing on Steam.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Division 2 is £7 on sale on PS4, but £2.50 on PC... quite the price difference.. is base game any good? I won't get suckered into the buy the base game cheap, and then hook me onto the new DLC. Just a new shooter to kill some time.
I got it at full price at launch (with the Uplay 20% off) and thought it was worth it even though I didn't stay very long for the endgame.
Some of the mission locations (the museums for example) are just spectacular and shootouts are usually pretty engaging.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What's a good site to keep up to date with gaming news/trailers?

I use gematsu but what else is there

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States

I'm really confused as to what's going on here; Codex is a cracking group right? Is this a case of developers supporting cracking groups? Cause that's...really weird. Kinda cool? I think? I'm not sure what to make of it since cracking groups and piracy go hand in hand, but they also are responsible for helping some games that would otherwise be lost with time stay alive.
specially Meta Council for new PC releases.
Gosh I've been trying to get my account approved there for ages. Any chance you could throw in a word for me? I made an account on that site early last year but my account is still awaiting approval.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Last edited:

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I wonder if Resident Evil 3 will be GOTY worthy like RE2 was.
RE2 was my favorite game last year and if RE3 winds up being just as good, Capcom will have successfully stolen a spot in my heart two years in a row.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really confused as to what's going on here; Codex is a cracking group right? Is this a case of developers supporting cracking groups? Cause that's...really weird. Kinda cool? I think? I'm not sure what to make of it since cracking groups and piracy go hand in hand, but they also are responsible for helping some games that would otherwise be lost with time stay alive.

Gosh I've been trying to get my account approved there for ages. Any chance you could throw in a word for me? I made an account on that site early last year but my account is still awaiting approval.

i think it's a case of them doing a reverse uno card. crackers are "stealing" the games so the devs decided to steal their logo to make money off of it

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's a case of them doing a reverse uno card. crackers are "stealing" the games so the devs decided to steal their logo to make money off of it
Honestly, if someone is from an Central or Eastern Europe country, they probably grew up on piracy and have a bit of a different attitude to it - see CDP Red/GOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.