• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Really feeling FF12 now. Love the visuals and soundtrack. The combat system is growing on me as well. It holds up surprisingly well a game that came out in 2007.
The only thing kinda bugging me is the JRPG bikini armor on Fran and Ashe. Other than that, I like all the character designs. Vaan's design is not amazing, but at least it's not as bad as Tidus with his uneven pant legs and clown shoes. The Judges are real badass looking. And the names in this game? Gabranth? Basch? Amazing. Love it.

Have fun! They're some of my favorite games. Be sure not to skip the DLC for Dishonored 1. Both Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches are really cool. They also set up Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider.

FFXII is easily my favorite game in the franchise.

Ivalice is among the few JRPG setting that can stand against WRPG when it came to worldbuilding/lore.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Does anyone use Steam Link to use their PC in a "headless" fashion?

Thinking of building a PC and instead of connecting it directly to my TV I'll put it in a closet in another room and use it over my network via the Steam Link app on my AppleTV or on my Macbook Pro if I decide I want to play something with a Keyboard and Mouse.

The only real downside I can see with this is that I'm limited to Steam-only games and not other storefronts.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone use Steam Link to use their PC in a "headless" fashion?

Thinking of building a PC and instead of connecting it directly to my TV I'll put it in a closet in another room and use it over my network via the Steam Link app on my AppleTV or on my Macbook Pro if I decide I want to play something with a Keyboard and Mouse.

The only real downside I can see with this is that I'm limited to Steam-only games and not other storefronts.

I feel like you will need a small monitor or something to connect directly to the PC if / when something goes wrong with your setup. I use Steam Link on AppleTV a lot and it feels like 10-20% of the time I have to tinker with the PC somehow to get it to work properly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I feel like you will need a small monitor or something to connect directly to the PC if / when something goes wrong with your setup. I use Steam Link on AppleTV a lot and it feels like 10-20% of the time I have to tinker with the PC somehow to get it to work properly.

I figure I can use TeamViewer to play administrator via my Macbook.

This is all just kinda brainstorming anyway.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
World of Horror in 3 days! Going to be sick. And only $15.

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

Experience the quiet terror of this 1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daemon X Machina seems to be Xseed's biggest PC launch by far. 9k peak players, normally their games peak at highest around 1-1.5k. Also better than the other Switch "exclusive" Octopath Traveler which was around 6k.

Granted, most of their other games don't have multiplayer, so that was likely a big boost. But probably just hits a genre that is relatively underserved on PC.

Glad to see Xseed have a hit (relative to their size at least) given it seemed like they were getting screwed a lot and slowing down their releases (or just releasing some kinda lame stuff).

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Daemon X Machina seems to be Xseed's biggest PC launch by far. 9k peak players, normally their games peak at highest around 1-1.5k. Also better than the other Switch "exclusive" Octopath Traveler which was around 6k.

Granted, most of their other games don't have multiplayer, so that was likely a big boost. But probably just hits a genre that is relatively underserved on PC.

Glad to see Xseed have a hit (relative to their size at least) given it seemed like they were getting screwed a lot and slowing down their releases (or just releasing some kinda lame stuff).
Daemon X Machina regional pricing is great, meanwhile Octopath doesn't have any regional pricing.

And it's a mecha game. PC is severely lacking in mecha games department, heck we don't even have Armored Core.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat Life is Strange 1. It took me nearly 2 years to get around to it, asdf.
I binged the last 2 episodes this weekend. It was super intense, and I'm still a bit rattled. Maybe that's why I took these massive breaks between episodes before.
Great game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
3 Fortresses down. Level 51.

This was the stock overlord (unlike the Nemesis Slaughter bastard who took over Cirith Ungol), but just to be on the safe side, I planted 2 bodyguard agents on him. Made for a decisive showdown.

Guess it's time to see what that Balrog beastie is all about.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've played a good chunk of Wolfenstein Youngblood (lvl 31 I think) and wow it's just a weird game. You can tell they put some thought into the level design because there are shortcuts to open up and buildings to go into, but the way you interact with those areas is very haphazard. You are constantly jumping from one area to another so you're not really getting to know the areas, and the more significant missions take place in some more traditional linear levels. It seems very much like someone had a big idea for a game and it fell completely apart somewhere.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So I've played a good chunk of Wolfenstein Youngblood (lvl 31 I think) and wow it's just a weird game. You can tell they put some thought into the level design because there are shortcuts to open up and buildings to go into, but the way you interact with those areas is very haphazard. You are constantly jumping from one area to another so you're not really getting to know the areas, and the more significant missions take place in some more traditional linear levels. It seems very much like someone had a big idea for a game and it fell completely apart somewhere.

It simply is not Wolfenstein. It is attempt from Bethesda to bank on looter shooter coop game. But they didn't want to make new IP and they shoehorned that kind of gameplay to Wolfenstein and we got what we got.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

Experience the quiet terror of this 1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

Any idea why i cant see an option to buy it? I'm not really that familiar with steam but this game greatly interests me

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

N O P E

4092064f-f276-4ed0-ap8jt9.jpeg

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I finally beat Life is Strange 1. It took me nearly 2 years to get around to it, asdf.
I binged the last 2 episodes this weekend. It was super intense, and I'm still a bit rattled. Maybe that's why I took these massive breaks between episodes before.
Great game.

Good good, now you know. Enjoy the next few years of feeling heart broken over it.

Also, which ending did you pick.

Also once you've recovered play Before the Storm.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Great game.
Play Before The Storm next. And make sure you bought the deluxe version as it's the only way to get the extra episode.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
havent been this bummed out about a game (Wolcen) in a very long time. When it works I love it, and like, im at 55 hours atm (lets shave 10 of those off which were beta) so its not like Im not getting my money's worth, but the server/online/bug issues are literally impossible to defend.

All I can say is "sigh"
It's funny how this post is basically my experience with Diablo 3 right after launch.
Maybe the devs shouldn't have emulated that part of the Diablo experience. :p

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

For sure. Seeing some figures helps to ground the conversation.

This, for instance, sounds apocalyptic.

"In 2013 median indie games made approx. $110K and top 25% made $590K. - In 2019 median indie games made $1400, and everything below that basically $0. Top 25% made $12K, which is obviously not sustainable. - You have to be in the top 5% of indie games these days to make $413K."

But then you look at the actual number of releases instead of percentages and

"25% of 499 games released in 2013 is 124. But 5% of 8384 in 2019 is 419. That's 3x more games being "hits" in 2019 than in 2013."

3 times more indie games are making it. That's a huge increase in the success rate.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. Seeing some figures helps to ground the conversation.

This, for instance, sounds apocalyptic.

"In 2013 median indie games made approx. $110K and top 25% made $590K. - In 2019 median indie games made $1400, and everything below that basically $0. Top 25% made $12K, which is obviously not sustainable. - You have to be in the top 5% of indie games these days to make $413K."

But then you look at the actual number of releases instead of percentages and

"25% of 499 games released in 2013 is 124. But 5% of 8384 in 2019 is 419. That's 3x more games being "hits" in 2019 than in 2013."

3 times more indie games are making it. That's a huge increase in the success rate.
Technically that is a huge increase in successes while a big decrease in success rate of indies in Steam. The problem would be the under representation of low success games in Steam in 2013 (due to the higher entry requirements) as well as the explosion of independent developments happening since the beginning of the 2010s leads to the lower success rate.
But in general, we get nearly as many success games as total games released in 2013, which says a lot of how the market has expanded.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Amazing deal on that Killer bundle, grabbed that asap :D Gutted I missed the Rising Star bundle, hope that one goes back in stock.

Though I'm a bit puzzled that SNK Colllection doesn't seem to have resolution options, only defaulting to 1080p, which is serviceable but not as sharp on 4k TV. Especially weird when the PS4 version supports the Pro with 4k.

EDIT: [moved Atari Vault giveaway to the bundle thread]

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't Arkane help develop Youngblood ?

Honestly not surprised with the direction after the (apparently) underwhelming sales performance of New Colossus.

In hindsight, ironic with how people celebrate Bethesda's #SaveSinglePlayer campaign and yet no one buy Dishonored 2/DoTO, Prey, The New Colossus and (afaik) Evil Within 2.

:(

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the ff15 ardyn dlc and I have never felt second hand embarrassment for a writer and voice actor this hard.

S-E please use Natsuko Ishikawa for mainline FF from now on.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

Can't wait.

Hope this delivers as the entire premise & production looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.