• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Man, all that love for Bungie when I would consider them the one most at fault for all Destiny issues.
Bungie hasn't been good since the 90s.

I'm surprised Bungie got out, I honestly expected them to fold somewhere in the middle of this year and became a call of duty map factory.
They're an independent studio. The only thing that would keep them tied to Activision would have been some weird contract or a complete lack of capital.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1703951108822305086

Steam Client Beta Update - January 16
16 JANUARY - TAYLOR SHERMAN
General
  • Support using ipv6 for connections to download servers
  • Fixed multiple issues in tracking Steam window and chat window position and size when adjusted by the user or automatically through DPI and screen size changes
Overlay
  • Added "Force Quit" button to the desktop client overlay, matching existing Big Picture functionality. Force-quitting a game can result in loss of unsaved data
Vulkan Shader Pre-Caching
  • Added preliminary support for collecting source pipelines from Vulkan applications
  • Added support for the AMD Windows Vulkan driver for binary cache entries collection
SteamInput
  • Added support for PDP Wired Fight Pad Pro
  • Added support for PDP Faceoff Wired Pro Controller
  • Allow the On-screen Keyboard to spawn on secondary monitors
  • Fixed a bug that could require you to hit the "Summon On-screen Keyboard" button twice before it launched
  • Fixed Mouse region bindings in windowed games running without the Big Picture Overlay
  • Fixed an issue where frequent rumble commands from games could cause input stuttering for PS4 controllers
Big Picture
  • Fixed Control-A/Control-B sending enter and backspace respectively on Windows when in web browser and chat panels
Linux
  • Fixed 0-byte downloads getting queued on startup for all Steam Play titles
  • Fixed incorrect mouse wheel scrolling offsets
  • Fixed an issue where some games wouldn't be properly detected as still running despite some of their processes still lingering in the background
  • Fixed system tray including menu sometimes including too many recent game entries
  • Fixed settings dialog incorrectly always prompting for a client restart
  • Added gnutls 3 to the Steam Runtime, fixing network connectivity issues in many Steam Play titles
  • Fixed an issue with host libssl on newer distributions breaking some titles
  • Fixed a bug that could result in being unable to create shortcuts for certain games. To unblock previously affected titles, delete all *.ico and *.zip files from ~/.steam/root/steam/games and "Verify Game Files" to re-download the icons with the right format
  • Fixed a crash with in-game purchases in Big Picture

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
  • Fixed an issue where frequent rumble commands from games could cause input stuttering for PS4 controllers
I hope this solves the problems I've been having with Rocket League.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Damn even the little poster is freaky lol.

header.jpg

Think I'll make myself a cup of tea and watch a Lets Play...

*one Lets Play later*

LOOOOOL, I'm never playing this game ever. You have my respect fantomena.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Uh, if Steam is just gonna be a cut-down version of Chrome now can I please get some options for Zoom/Scale separate from Windows DPI/Scale?

Like I don't use Chrome, but Firefox let's me set a zoom level on a per-page basis. I'm not even asking for something that fancy...

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad saying this but some of your points are wrong:

• There will be "discovery" but it will be done by:
    • Social feed recomendations, similar to the community tab in Steam.
    • Curated lists created by them, similar to iOS AppStore.
    • Following the developers, similar to following the curators/developers in Steam.
    • Through influencers that will get a cut.
  • Correct.
  • They havent really talked about them directly, but considering that they could be used to "harass the developer" yeah I think they wont be there.
  • Their review policy is a mess. They still have no idea, they want to implement it but in an obfuscated way to prevent complains from the looks of it.
  • They havent really talked about anything like a workshop. I guess they will add it? It shouldnt be too hard (except for extra structural costs).
  • Wrong, they backpedalled and they offer a similar system to Steam.
  • There will be analytics for developers but "coming later". About an official sales tracking, they cannot legally do something similar to SteamSpy themselves because sales are a trade secret and cant be disclosed without permision of the developer. Supposedly they will create an API that will allow something like it.
  • Yeah.
  • Supposedly, they will have tighter standards, as their initial goal was 1 goal per day, which would mean that only 1/5 of the minimum "real games" approximation Galy gave yesterday would come into the store.
A bit late now, but still relevant.

I hadn't heard about the refund change, that's good for consumers at least, it's still telling that they didn't have a real system when the store went live but doesn't make much difference after the fact.

What you describe isn't "discovery" compared to Steam at all, which was my comparison point because they've literally cited Steams terrible discovery as one of their reasons devs might use Epic.

• The social feed is already in Steam, and has been for ages
  • The curated lists exist on Steam and outside of Steam already and "app stores" are not a model to copy for quality discovery
  • Following developers / curators already exists in Steam
  • Influencers already exist and already have an impact on game sales, Epic is offering to eat the "influencer" cut at first but later on devs will be expected to from the sounds of it. Also, it's essentially just paid advertising which devs could already do
Considering, again, one of the single biggest and reoccuring complaints from devs (and consumers) against Steam is discovery, it's incredible that actual discovery tools even comparable to Steam are not on their project list.

The "tighter standards" is still a nebulous concept, they want to allow devs to self publish but require their games to be tested... which Steam already does. Maybe they're more aggressive, or maybe a ton of low-effort devs just don't bother with Epic for various reasons, and maybe it works out, but again their whole argument is that they're trying to compete with Steam and be pro-developer and they really, really aren't. The literal 1 thing they've done better is the cut devs get and if they aren't doing anything actually good to get help sell those games, what's the point? Otherwise every "good" thing (free games, getting Journey on PC, etc.) has been them throwing money at something to try and generate returns.

I still haven't seen anything from them that they actually care, at the end of the day, about developers or consumers. Rather, they care about turning their Fortnite money into a bigger wedge of that digital storefront economy. Which yes, most companies ultimately care about profit, but they at least offer basic reasons to use them.

The nonsense game companies are trying to pull over the more recent years would get so much pushback in a traditional market. It's so frustrating.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A bit late now, but still relevant.

I hadn't heard about the refund change, that's good for consumers at least, it's still telling that they didn't have a real system when the store went live but doesn't make much difference after the fact.

What you describe isn't "discovery" compared to Steam at all, which was my comparison point because they've literally cited Steams terrible discovery as one of their reasons devs might use Epic.

• The social feed is already in Steam, and has been for ages
  • The curated lists exist on Steam and outside of Steam already and "app stores" are not a model to copy for quality discovery
  • Following developers / curators already exists in Steam
  • Influencers already exist and already have an impact on game sales, Epic is offering to eat the "influencer" cut at first but later on devs will be expected to from the sounds of it. Also, it's essentially just paid advertising which devs could already do
Considering, again, one of the single biggest and reoccuring complaints from devs (and consumers) against Steam is discovery, it's incredible that actual discovery tools even comparable to Steam are not on their project list.

The "tighter standards" is still a nebulous concept, they want to allow devs to self publish but require their games to be tested... which Steam already does. Maybe they're more aggressive, or maybe a ton of low-effort devs just don't bother with Epic for various reasons, and maybe it works out, but again their whole argument is that they're trying to compete with Steam and be pro-developer and they really, really aren't. The literal 1 thing they've done better is the cut devs get and if they aren't doing anything actually good to get help sell those games, what's the point? Otherwise every "good" thing (free games, getting Journey on PC, etc.) has been them throwing money at something to try and generate returns.

I still haven't seen anything from them that they actually care, at the end of the day, about developers or consumers. Rather, they care about turning their Fortnite money into a bigger wedge of that digital storefront economy. Which yes, most companies ultimately care about profit, but they at least offer basic reasons to use them.

The nonsense game companies are trying to pull over the more recent years would get so much pushback in a traditional market. It's so frustrating.

I mean, I know the whole discovery things are already on Steam, I added that information to drive the point that Steam already has those things and the really only new thing was the influencers part. And even then, Steam allows for streaming into the store page and actually promotes games that are doing that. I also didnt say anything abot the influencer cost because I had mentioned it before.

On the "tighter standards" part. Yeah, I have no idea but the information they gave is that. I thought I had already used a tone that clearly gave away my position on the "dont think they will really be able to actually be anything useful".

I just want to point out my first sentence. I do not really like Epic Store and I dont think they are really bringing anything new to the table (except the 12% cut). I just wanted to more or less explain their "solutions" to some of the points (and how they fare against Steam), as well as explain that they did talk about some of the points you hadnt gotten the more updated information about.

Edit: some extra information about discoverability- Galy seems against the whoel concept of automating most of the busywork for it so "Discovery Queues" is probably not something they will work with. Also, they will not have "Wishlist"s as he believes that just encourages a "wait for the sale" culture.
I think both of those things are mistakes.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Godfuckingdammit Paranormal Activity: Lost Soul is scary. I usually never have any problem with horror games, even RE7 on PS VR isn't much scary, mostly because I already played it, but damn, Lost Soul is creeping me out. Just as I entered the house and seeing a creepy painting I noped out.
I heard the same about Penumbra but that just kept putting me to sleep, maybe this one is legit.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The house in Paranormal Activity is fucking creepy aaaah I can't do this, but I want to do this.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Do Achievements unlock in offline mode? I'm going to be offline for a couple of months cause of financial issues and I still want play in offline mode. I hope offline mode works this time, It didn't work when I was forced offline back in 2012-13 :(

Depends on the game. I remember Final Fantasy 13 skipping some achievements when I played it in offline mode.

As for offline mode, it also depends on the game. I didnt have internet for some months and a couple of games didnt start. Must be that it needed to be played online once every couple of months or something...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I'll just stay put and no biggie if they cancel my order

I bought there no issue but it wasnt on launch day it was a couple days before...

...when i linked it here for everyone to see! >_>

also here's a scorching hot take for all of you. Onimusha is doing absolutely nothing for me, its a huge bummer in fact. And yes I played it at the time, it did not age well at all imo.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
How people keep falling for these Facebook hoaxes year after year is truly fascinating. My timeline is literally everyone sharing the same post about not allowing Facebook to claim ownership of their pics and other info.
Last year it was about Facebook charging you unless you shared a specific post. How dense can people be?

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
Portia is deep! apparently there is this conflict going between church and scientists, I'll let you guess which side I chose.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
WARNING:

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again ENDING SPOILERS.
DON'T READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW.
last warning, turn back now.
The ending confirms No more Heroes 3, I wonder if that was what the killer 7 update tweet was teasing.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot the Blitzball tutorial since the last time I played FFX and I lost the first championship match 0-1. Feels bad, man.

When does this game open up? It's taking forever.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot the Blitzball tutorial since the last time I played FFX and I lost the first championship match 0-1. Feels bad, man.

When does this game open up? It's taking forever.
Uh, never? Like, you can fly around when you get the ship, but only to a few dungeons or loot spots.

This isn't FF13.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's too bad. I keep waiting for the "leaving the city" moment. Except for that one small jungle area it's been cutscenetastic so far.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
There are bigger areas once you get out of the city where you'll do more exploring and fighting.

But it's still almost entirely linear. If you ever played FF13, imagine if you just removed Gran Pulse from the game.

And if you never played FF13, you need to.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
It kinda opens up near the end if you want to complete sidequests and get the ultimate weapons, etc

Lightning dodging was cool :D

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
There are bigger areas once you get out of the city where you'll do more exploring and fighting.

But it's still almost entirely linear. If you ever played FF13, imagine if you just removed Gran Pulse from the game.

And if you never played FF13, you need to.

Just a little bit of the first one. Why would I want to dodge Lightning. She can strike me right in the heart.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Just a little bit of the first one. Why would I want to dodge Lightning. She can strike me right in the heart.
You should go back. It's a fantastic game (as long as you realize it's an action game, not a JRPG). The story is not great, but it's honestly not that bad either by FF standards.

Production values are off the chart, and the music is the best in the entire franchise.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
You should go back. It's a fantastic game (as long as you realize it's an action game, not a JRPG). The story is not great, but it's honestly not that bad either by FF standards.

Production values are off the chart, and the music is the best in the entire franchise.

I plan to. I get in these weird phases where I want to finish FF games. First I was going to play them in order. Then I got stuck on the final boss of 1 and that didn't happen. Then I was going to play forwards from 7. Got derailed quickly. Then I was going to go backward from 15. Nope. I've touched every game from 7 on at one time of the other.

The funny thing with me and video game music is I really don't care about it. There's like 3 games I can easily recall music from - both Nier games and the big sweeping theme from Kingdom Hearts. I more often remember music when it's really annoying, like Xenoblade X. I don't know why, being that I love music and have been an amateur musician for a good chunk of my life. It's just not a selling point for me in games. I'd make a thread but that would just be an invitation to get shit on by most of ERA lol.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I plan to. I get in these weird phases where I want to finish FF games. First I was going to play them in order. Then I got stuck on the final boss of 1 and that didn't happen. Then I was going to play forwards from 7. Got derailed quickly. Then I was going to go backward from 15. Nope. I've touched every game from 7 on at one time of the other.
I hear you. I have never finished a modern FF game except for 10 and 13.

My playthrough of FFX on PC is stalled when you go to the wedding. My playthrough of 12 is stalled after the Raithwall tomb. My playthrough of 13-2 is stalled just after Academia. My playthrough of 15 is stalled just after Cape Caem.

Actually, a lot of my playthroughs are stalled. It's become a thing for me, somehow. The way I play games doesn't lend itself to me actually finishing a game before needing to start another one. I probably have like 10-15 in-progress games that I will in all likelihood never finish (sometimes I really get pumped to revisit one... but then I just go start a different game instead).

Status
Not open for further replies.