• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
But even without the Epic Store, so many new policies, API changes etc. were worked on last year. The argument that "Valve is just sitting on their asses" is just false.
That's fine.

But there are also policies that were directly precipitated by the AAA publishers exiting the storefront. It's not a case that Valve simply planned everything in advance and it just happened to coincide with more of them departing the platform.

You can say things change anyway, but it's also true that more things can change as a result of this, and those changes will likely occur faster. (Change is coming either way, because the major publishers are leaving regardless.)

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
I'ma try and phrase this as non offensive as possible....in points
1- They don't know anything about PC gaming nor what they're talking about
2- Half Life 2 is about the only PC gaming anything they've ever experienced or bothered to experience
3- They still think we're living in the mid to late 2000s far as PC gaming is concerned
4- Point 1 again to summarize the previous 2 points
People are mainly complaining because of the monopoly Steam has on PC gaming. They are using Half Life 2 not being on other platforms as an example of a game being exclusive on one platform. While I did criticize EGS for making Metro Exodus an exclusive, that was only due to how close it was to the release date and how it was available for pre-orders. It would still be released on Steam, just not this year. Those whom mostly criticize EGS mainly talk about their "exclusives" or lack of features as compared to Steam or about its current limited games library rather than its security vulnerabilities or lack of a support forum for their specific games.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
https://store.steampowered.com/news/48091/

A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

General
  • Support using ipv6 for connections to download servers
  • Fixed multiple issues in tracking Steam window and chat window position and size when adjusted by the user or automatically through DPI and screen size changes
  • Fixed downloading unnecessary updates for games that self-update after initial install
  • Fixed a crash related to SteamVR

Desktop Overlay
  • Added "Force Quit" button to the desktop client overlay, matching existing Big Picture functionality. Force-quitting a game can result in loss of unsaved data
  • Added "Edit Controller Configuration", which will open the current Steam Input configuration in a new window.

Steam Input
  • Allow the On-screen Keyboard to spawn on secondary monitors
  • Fixed a bug that could require you to hit the "Summon On-screen Keyboard" button twice before it launched
  • Fixed Mouse region bindings in windowed games running without the Big Picture Overlay
  • Fixed an issue where frequent rumble commands from games could cause input stuttering for PS4 controllers
  • Fixed some cases where Steam Controller rumble emulation could get stuck on
  • Added support for HORI Battle Pad
  • Added support for HORI Wireless Switch Pad
  • Added support for PDP Wired Fight Pad Pro
  • Added support for PDP Faceoff Wired Pro Controller

Big Picture Mode
  • Fixed race condition in Big Picture chat panel that would intermittently cause some controller actions to not respond
  • Fixed issue in Big Picture overlay that was causing it to fail to render screen updates in a timely manner
  • Fixed Control-A/Control-B sending enter and backspace respectively on Windows when in web browser and chat panels

Linux
  • Fixed 0-byte downloads getting queued on startup for all Steam Play titles
  • Fixed incorrect mouse wheel scrolling offsets
  • Fixed an issue where some games wouldn't be properly detected as still running despite some of their processes still lingering in the background
  • Fixed system tray including menu sometimes including too many recent game entries
  • Fixed settings dialog incorrectly always prompting for a client restart
  • Added gnutls 3 to the Steam Runtime, fixing network connectivity issues in many Steam Play titles
  • Fixed an issue with host libssl on newer distributions breaking some titles
  • Fixed a bug that could result in being unable to create shortcuts for certain games. To unblock previously affected titles, delete all *.ico and *.zip files from ~/.steam/root/steam/games and "Verify Game Files" to re-download the icons with the right format
  • Fixed a crash with in-game purchases in Big Picture
  • Fixed a case where drop-down menus or notifications would become stuck on screen
  • Added the ability to force Steam Play compatibility tools for non-Steam game shortcuts

macOS
  • Added the ability to quit games from the Steam overlay

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
That's fine.

But there are also policies that were directly precipitated by the AAA publishers exiting the storefront. It's not a case that Valve simply planned everything in advance and it just happened to coincide with more of them departing the platform.

You can say things change anyway, but it's also true that more things can change as a result of this, and those changes will likely occur faster. (Change is coming either way, because the major publishers are leaving regardless.)

Sure. And thats why I think it kinda is a good thing for devs. It might not be a good thing for consumers though.

When even Sweeney is saying 12% is too low so they cant pay the payment fees and gives it to the consumers. It totally seems like the real cut for having such a business should be around 18-20% and that is where Valve is now with succesful devs and I am sure they will lower the requirements of sales even more in the future.

This whole "console war" on PC though is not good for consumers right now and that is why I dont get why all the articles or opinion pieces are black and white. No one actually mentions what storefronts are doing well and what they are doing bad.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect Epic to increase its cut soon after the well earmarked for exclusivity deals does run dry and it stops courting developers/publishers. That customers are being asked to cover payment processing fees makes it abundantly clear that 12% isn't sustainable long-term.
Dat Fortnite cash flow tho.
Its hard to see ever dropping the 12% . Is the one sole thing they have going for it. It's a shitty, terrible store with no features, and giving up their only thing they have would get massive amounts of backlash.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
That's fine.

Sure. And thats why I think it kinda is a good thing for devs. It might not be a good thing for consumers though.

When even Sweeney is saying 12% is too low so they cant pay the payment fees and gives it to the consumers. It totally seems like the real cut for having such a business should be around 18-20% and that is where Valve is now with succesful devs and I am sure they will lower the requirements of sales even more in the future.

This whole "console war" on PC though is not good for consumers right now and that is why I dont get why all the articles or opinion pieces are black and white. No one actually mentions what storefronts are doing well and what they are doing bad.

Those whom mostly criticize EGS mainly talk about their "exclusives" or lack of features as compared to Steam or about its current limited games library rather than its security vulnerabilities or lack of a support forum for their specific games.

The lack of forums and support is mentioned a lot on Era imo. Besides that I mention that piracy of those exclusive games will rise and might lead to less sales after the timed exclusivity runs out.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Anyone do the Steam survey today? GTX 1060 is the most popular GFX card. My 1050 in third place.

you_tried_gold_star_stickers-r47a56c9e281e4143b7df9b7b49c5b712_v9w09_8byvr_400.jpg

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
The biggest thing about the Epic store for me right now is that it has nothing that's actually going to make me install their client (never played Fortnite, never will) and suffer through their strictly inferior store. I'm practically drowning in a sea of games that all compete for my limited time, and so far what they've got just makes me shrug and go 'oh, that's a shame, guess I'll play in 2020'.

Admittedly, if they moneyhatted something I was super hyped for, that would be a much harder decision.

Edit: Also didn't know reee was the autistic screeching thing, yeah that's kinda bad. For some reason I always assumed it came from the JoJo wrrrryyyyyyy thing.
I had it installed for Fortnite and Shadow Complex, and then just grab the free games. I do want to play Metro, but wasn't planning to for a while, so I may just wait for Steam release. I have mixed feelings on EGS, but I think the biggest thing for me is people look at the Valve cut from games and they don't realize how many things the developer gets from that partnership. They just see the 30% and call Valve thieves or whatever.

But the whole Metro thing is such a shitshow. I also had similar feelings with Ashen as I was planning playing that on PC with GamePass Play Anywhere, and now I have to wait a year, if the timed exclusive has been confirmed. If Epic wants exclusives, cool, whatever, but swooping in at the last minute to gate off players is so shitty.

Anyone do the Steam survey today? GTX 1060 is the most popular GFX card. My 1050 in third place.

I have a GTX 980, I thought it was a much popular card than it really is.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Its hard to see ever dropping the 12% . Is the one sole thing they have going for it. It's a shitty, terrible store with no features, and giving up their only thing they have would get massive amounts of backlash.
They bank on gullible PC gamershypertoxic computer cowboys to stock up on games, so that inertia will make it harder for them to get rid of their EGS baggage.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They bank on gullible PC gamershypertoxic computer cowboys to stock up on games, so that inertia will make it harder for them to get rid of their EGS baggage.

They bank on the games media doing their PR for them by feasting on Valve hate, like from Nathan from Kotaku.

Like pro-consumer toxicity? Mumbo jumbo to somehow attack Valve for providing consumer friendly features.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

There's also the waiving of the UE royalty fee. That will definitely remain in place, I think, regardless of circumstances.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Honestly, Uplay is more feature complete than Epic. At least I get local prices.
oof accurate, that and games enthusiast media doing free PR for them

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only other thing Epic has going for it is the bunch of free games they give any random with a YouTube channel.
I don't think Devs will like it, tho.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The only other thing Epic has going for it is the bunch of free games they give any random with a YouTube channel.
I don't think Devs will like it, tho.

I love it that people are acting like free games is such a new paradigm for PC gaming.

As if every store avaliable hasent been doing that.

Shows you how much attention this place puts on PC gaming

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I don't know why i bother pre-loading cos I just end up waiting ages to unpack >_>

I've read this a million times since pre-load was a thing. Because of this, I myself have never pre-loaded a game and have always downloaded them at release instead. Usually pretty fast with my internet.

Is unpacking pre-loads slow even with SSD's though? Is it a processor thing? Everybody says the unpacking is slow, but nobody ever mentions their specs so I am curios.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are the chances that Valve will create something like SteamPass? I would love that.
Would publishers join in?

EDIT: Of course not for the whole Steam store. Limited to 10 or so titles you can choose or something like that.

EDIT 2: I think it's a bad idea for indies devs. Sorry.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I've read this a million times since pre-load was a thing. Because of this, I myself have never pre-loaded a game and have always downloaded them at release instead. Usually pretty fast with my internet.

Is unpacking pre-loads slow even with SSD's though? Is it a processor thing? Everybody says the unpacking is slow, but nobody ever mentions their specs so I am curios.

Well i've an i7 4790k with 16GB RAM and an SSD, plus a GTX970 fwiw

It's an older rig to be sure but it's still holding quite well and by no means slow in general =/

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if you only take the "hyper toxic" out of "hyper toxic pro-consumer" and prepend it to everything it makes it sound negative instead of just stupid.
Don't think that's the intended effect, just saying.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
People are mainly complaining because of the monopoly Steam has on PC gaming. They are using Half Life 2 not being on other platforms as an example of a game being exclusive on one platform. While I did criticize EGS for making Metro Exodus an exclusive, that was only due to how close it was to the release date and how it was available for pre-orders. It would still be released on Steam, just not this year. Those whom mostly criticize EGS mainly talk about their "exclusives" or lack of features as compared to Steam or about its current limited games library rather than its security vulnerabilities or lack of a support forum for their specific games.
Jesus wept

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
Are you one of those newfangled pro-Epic alt-accounts popping up everywhere lately that'll go off the rails sooner or later?

Are people not allowed to sit the epic store or think what they are doing is fine all of a sudden?

I personally have no issues with competition to steam. Steam in my eyes has been terrible for years and with no competition, they haven't been forced to improve. If epic stealing a few games forces them to have to compete in other ways, all the better

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Are people not allowed to sit the epic store or think what they are doing is fine all of a sudden?

I personally have no issues with competition to steam. Steam in my eyes has been terrible for years and with no competition, they haven't been forced to improve. If epic stealing a few games forces them to have to compete in other ways, all the better

No competition. No improvements. Yet Epic has to moneyhat games to compete because they can't catch up with a store that hasn't been improving for years.

Also where did you suddenly come from? Did I call out your alt?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Well i've an i7 4790k with 16GB RAM and an SSD, plus a GTX970 fwiw

It's an older rig to be sure but it's still holding quite well and by no means slow in general =/

Oh I wasn't saying you have a slow rig! I was just curious about the specs since everyone always says pre-load unpacking is slow.

I guess I will keep avoiding it. Also it just seems like unnecessary "wear and tear" (hope that's the right expression) on your SSD.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what people mean with 'Steam being terrible for years'. The only really bad incident I recall was a Christmas morning when data from other users being exposed on different profiles. Other than that everything has been fine?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Valve has added more to Steam then Epic has added to the Epic store;

And Epic has a whole list of features they haven't even hit the basics of the basics yet.

Like cloud saves.

Epic in 2018-2019 is worse then Steam was 10 years ago.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Still no free AC Odyssey from Project Stream test :(
Well, instead you can get Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China for free from Uplay! That's the same, right?

Look. I'll shit on Steam for days. I do so on the regular, they've got issues. But to imply that Steam hasn't been improving year after year, that they don't have features that literally no one else has? That's disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.