• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker?

The text-to-speech function for questioning the patients is bloody awful!

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but, I am looking for a way to stream my PC games to a handheld device due to health reasons, what is the most efficient way to do this? I am thinking along the lines of a handheld device which is like the switch, for example, using my tablet and adding a controller maybe?

Or does a device exist that I can buy which will allow me to steam my PC to it handheld?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but, I am looking for a way to stream my PC games to a handheld device due to health reasons, what is the most efficient way to do this? I am thinking along the lines of a handheld device which is like the switch, for example, using my tablet and adding a controller maybe?

Or does a device exist that I can buy which will allow me to steam my PC to it handheld?
GDP Windows handheld is that thing you are looking for. Nvidia Shiel too but not sure if that thing stil lexists.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
The Steam Link app can stream to Android devices and has bluetooth controller support. Not sure if IOS is available yet, I know it was originally delayed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Fellow PC folk, I have a noob question! Because I'm a PC noob! Would you say that the biggest graphics setting curlprit for performance issues would be shadows? Of course when it comes to graphics settings everyones PCs are different, but is there a general consensus in terms of what settings you first try to lower before others to get the most FPS out of a game without making it look like a potato?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Let's start this year nice :D I have Google Project Stream Setup Code that you can use to try AC Odyssey and according to Ubisoft and Google will grant you free Odyssey on linked UPlay account if you play game for 1h or more on Project Stream. But you need to be from US or go through many hoops and loops if you are outside US (you will probably need to rent virtual machine or use VPN with really good latency). Also i am not sure if Setup Code is tied to my email but i don't think so. So if somebody here is from US and wants AC Odyssey quote tis message and i will send you Setup Code. I really hope that Code will work :D

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Fellow PC folk, I have a noob question! Because I'm a PC noob! Would you say that the biggest graphics setting curlprit for performance issues would be shadows? Of course when it comes to graphics settings everyones PCs are different, but is there a general consensus in terms of what settings you first try to lower before others to get the most FPS out of a game without making it look like a potato?
Shadows are usually the first thing I turn down when I don't get smooth 60FPS (and the difference between medium and ultra shadows isn't worth the cost in most cases imo).

You can also read through this article. It's from 2013 but it should still give you an idea about the different settings.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Switched to Easy in Momodora 4 and now I'm stuck: I got 3 fragments and explored the map so I don't see any untaken paths outside of 2 areas:
1 requires a green cube and the other requires the Krast Key.
Where can I find these items to find the last crest?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Shadows are usually the first thing I turn down when I don't get smooth 60FPS (and the difference between medium and ultra shadows isn't worth the cost in most cases imo).

You can also read through this article. It's from 2013 but it should still give you an idea about the different settings.

Thanks I appreciate it. I started playing Kona today, and the performance wasn't feeling right. I play around and around. Ultimately I settled for ultra settings on most everything, but dropped shadows down to medium and performance felt much better while looking pretty. Those damn shadows man...

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any hints towards the Settlers history collection showing up on Steam or GOG? I think it's weird they decided to make it, of all things, an Uplay exclusive.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks I appreciate it. I started playing Kona today, and the performance wasn't feeling right. I play around and around. Ultimately I settled for ultra settings on most everything, but dropped shadows down to medium and performance felt much better while looking pretty. Those damn shadows man...
Yeah shadows are the biggest strain on performance on pc games. I tend to disable it myself.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
^ while we're talking about Uplay zeknurn, I have another noob question. I got Anno 1404 on Steam a while ago. When I actually play it, what will happen? Will a pop up appear telling me I need to download a Uplay launcher and register a login or something? (but...why sell it on Steam then. :|) I'm still a bit confused on Uplay games on Steam...

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam Link app can stream to Android devices and has bluetooth controller support. Not sure if IOS is available yet, I know it was originally delayed.

Not on ios, Doesn't seem Apple is willing to let it on Store, even after multiple changes. So I'm quite sure it's safe to say it dead.

Have there been any hints towards the Settlers history collection showing up on Steam or GOG? I think it's weird they decided to make it, of all things, an Uplay exclusive.

Well, Ode was never released on Steam or GoG, so doesn't seem likely.

^ while we're talking about Uplay zeknurn, I have another noob question. I got Anno 1404 on Steam a while ago. When I actually play it, what will happen? Will a pop up appear telling me I need to download a Uplay launcher and register a login or something? (but...why sell it on Steam then. :|) I'm still a bit confused on Uplay games on Steam...

Anno 1404 on Steam doesn't use uPlay.

For games that use uPlay, Steam will automatically install uPlay when needed and first time you need to register/login. You can link uPlay account with Steam, which eliminates need for login.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
OWlN3kF.gif

Fuck you 2019, fuck youuuuuu.
Ya my day started with me waking up and thinking I was blind for 5 mins because of the hangover. Like I'm 20 all over.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not the correct place for this, but what's the lowest I can get Dragon Age: Inquisition complete for during the current Origin sale? And can someone trade for it with me (I'll pay through paypal or something). The game's not available in my region for whatever reason.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Crossposting since everyone loves stats. Right?

Since 2018 is over, here are some stats for my list:
2017: 68 games (455.4h)

Completed in 2018:
01. Metro: Last Light Redux (PC) | 9.6h | Jan 10 | ★★★★​
02. Quantum Break (PC) | 10.5h | Jan 18 | ★★★​
03. Dishonored 2 (PC) | 13.5h | Jan 25 | ★★★★½​
04. Back to the Future: The Game (PC) | 10.5h | Jan 31 | ★★★​
05. Max Payne 3 (PC) | 9.6h | Feb 01 | ★★★★​
06. ICARUS.1 (PC) | 2.1h | Feb 02 | ★★½​
07. Tacoma (PC) | 2.5h | Feb 03 | ★★★★​
08. Black The Fall (PC) | 2.7h | Feb 07 | ★★★½​
09. Hollowed (PC) | 1.4h | Feb 08 | ★★★½​
10. The Order of the Thorne - The King's Challenge (PC) | 1.7h | Feb 09 | ★★½​
11. The Fidelio Incident (PC) | 1.9h | Feb 12 | ★★★½​
12. Off-Peak (PC) | 0.8h | Feb 12 | ★★★½​
13. Kingdom Come: Deliverance (PC) | 110.6h | Feb 21 | ★★★★​
14. Gone Home (PC) | 2.5h | Feb 27 | ★★★​
15. Overgrowth (PC) | 1.9h | Feb 28 | ★½​
16. Prince of Persia (PC) | 8.9h | March 02 | ★★★½​
17. The Wolf Among Us (PC) | 7.6h | March 08 | ★★★★½​
18. A Normal Lost Phone (PC) | 1.5h | March 09 | ★★★½​
19. Replica (PC) | 1.8h | March 10 | ★★★½​
20. Mafia (PC) | 13.8h | March 13 | ★★★★​
21. Ghost of a Tale (PC) | 16.7h | March 15 | ★★★½​
22. #WarGames (PC) | 1.7h | March 17 | ★★​
23. Orwell: Ignorance is Strength (PC) | 4.3h | March 23 | ★★★½​
24. Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon (PC) | 3.3h | March 25 | ★★★★​
25. State of Anarchy (PC) | 1.4h | March 26 | ★★½​
26. The Norwood Suite (PC) | 1.7h | March 26 | ★★★½​
27. Batman: The Enemy Within (PC) | 8.7h | March 27 | ★★★★​
28. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (PC) | 3.2h | March 28 | ★★​
29. SUPERHOT (PC) | 2.1h | March 29 | ★★★★​
30. A Raven Monologue (PC) | 0.1h | April 16 | ★★½​
31. SOMA (PC) | 7.1h | April 18 | ★★★★​
32. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC) | 8.0h | April 20 | ★★★½​
33. God of War (PS4) | 41.4h | April 30 | ★★★★½​
34. Dead Space (PC) | 10.2h | May 10 | ★★★½​
35. Epistory - Typing Chronicles (PC) | 6.7h | May 11 | ★★★★​
36. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC) | 7.8h | May 18 | ★★★​
37. The Pillars of the Earth (PC) | 12.0h | May 30 | ★★★★​
38. Beyond: Two Souls (PS4) | 9.1h | May 31 | ★★★​
39. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC) | 35.5h | June 16 | ★★★★½​
40. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC) | 3.6h | June 17 | ★★​
41. The Order: 1886 (PS4) | 6.9h | June 18 | ★★½​
42. Gears of War 4 (PC) | 7.9h | June 20 | ★★★½​
43. Portal (PC) | 3.2h | June 21 | ★★★★½​
44. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PC) | 2.2h | June 25 | ★★★★​
45. Marie's Room (PC) | 0.5h | July 03 | ★★★½​
46. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) | 6.0h | July 04 | ★★★​
47. CAYNE (PC) | 2.8h | July 04 | ★★★½​
48. Mercury Blue: Mini Episode (PC) | 0.7h | July 05 | ★½​
49. KC:D – From the Ashes (PC) | 5.9h | July 06 | ★★½​
50. AER Memories of Old (PC) | 3.1h | July 08 | ★★★½​
51. Dead Horizon (PC) | 0.3h | July 09 | ★★★​
52. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC) | 6.9h | July 11 | ★★½​
53. Yakuza 0 (PC) | 66.9h | Aug 23 | ★★★★​
54. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PC) | 9.2h | Aug 27 | ★★★★​
55. Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC) | 15.3h | Sep 02 | ★★½​
56. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC) | 9.3h | Sep 04 | ★★★★​
57. LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (PC) | 15.4h | Sep 12 | ★★★​
58. Life is Strange (PC) | 10.3h | Sep 17 | ★★★★½​
59. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PC) | 17.0h | Sep 21 | ★★★★​
60. Little Nightmares (PC) | 3.0h | Sep 25 | ★★★½​
61. Last Day of June (PC) | 2.2h | Sep 26 | ★★½​
62. Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC) | 6.3h | Sep 27 | ★★★½​
63. For Honor (PC) | 6.4h | Sep 28 | ★★★​
64. Subsurface Circular (PC) | 2.1h | Oct 02 | ★★★½​
65. Until Dawn (PS4) | 7.9h | Oct 04 | ★★★½​
66. The Last of Us (PS4) | 14.5h | Oct 07 | ★★★★½​
67. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) | 2.0h | Oct 08 | ★★★★½​
68. Valley (PC) | 3.6h | Oct 11 | ★★★½​
69. KC:D – Adventures of Sir Hans Capon (PC) | 9.8h | Oct 17 | ★★★​
70. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC) | 35.9h | Oct 28 | ★★★★​
71. Burly Men at Sea (PC) | 1.9h | Oct 29 | ★★½​
72. The Red Strings Club (PC) | 4.1h | Oct 30 | ★★★★​
73. The Darkness II (PC) | 5.7h | Nov 01 | ★★★​
74. Grand Theft Auto V (PC) | 36.9h | Nov 13 | ★★★½​
75. 11-11 Memories Retold (PC) | 6.3h | Nov 15 | ★★★★​
76. Battlefield V (PC) | 6.6h | Nov 20 | ★★★​
77. Detroit: Become Human (PS4) | 11.2h | Nov 25 | ★★★½​
78. Attentat 1942 (PC) | 2.8h | Nov 26 | ★★★​
79. Star Wars: Battlefront II (PC) | 6.0h | Nov 28 | ★★★½​
80. NeonCode (PC) | 1.2h | Dec 14 | ★★★​
81. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) | 12.4h | Dec 15 | ★★★½​

Click on the game title for a short write-up.

Games completed: 81
Total playtime (not including BFV MP): 778.6h (+323.2h from 2017)
Average playtime per game: 9.6h (was 6.7h in 2017)
Average rating: 6.8/10
Platform breakdown: PC (73 games; 673.2h or 86.5%), PS4 (8 games; 105.4h or 13.5%)
Most time spent with: Kingdom Come: Deliverance including DLCs (126.2h or 16.2% of my total playtime)
Shortest game: A Raven Monologue (0.1h)

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017

For what it's worth, I think a lot of the performance issues in this case come from the game itself. I only played the first ~20 minutes or so of Kona but it ran pretty badly on my 1080ti with all the graphics turned up.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Consider the anti aliasing options first and foremost.
It's a complete game-to-game basis here, I can't say just say "use FXAA instead of the rest", both because the performance impact is quite varied, but also because it's the easiest way to get horrible image quality with poor AA.
I do tend to like to inject AA with reshade (and to add some more sharpening and/or contrast) rather than use the very poor FXAA as only offer for many, many games. I remember people freaking out in Nier Automata when propping up an already poorly optimized game with 8xMSAA ended up in shitty framerate...

But yes, shadows are definitely the first to get hit if you want better performance beyond that.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Anno 1404 on Steam doesn't use uPlay.

For games that use uPlay, Steam will automatically install uPlay when needed and first time you need to register/login. You can link uPlay account with Steam, which eliminates need for login.

Huh, that's really cool then, I guess it's the other Anno games that require Uplay? Bit of a hassle to register and link stuff, but if it's only the one time at the beginning then shouldn't be a an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of the performance issues in this case come from the game itself. I only played the first ~20 minutes or so of Kona but it ran pretty badly on my 1080ti with all the graphics turned up.

That does make me feel better hah. Now I'm thinking about the FOV. What do you all usually use? Case by case basis or one number you use on all games?

Consider the anti aliasing options first and foremost.
It's a complete game-to-game basis here, I can't say just say "use FXAA instead of the rest", both because the performance impact is quite varied, but also because it's the easiest way to get horrible image quality with poor AA.
I do tend to like to inject AA with reshade (and to add some more sharpening and/or contrast) rather than use the very poor FXAA as only offer for many, many games. I remember people freaking out in Nier Automata when propping up an already poorly optimized game with 8xMSAA ended up in shitty framerate...

But yes, shadows are definitely the first to get hit if you want better performance beyond that.

Yeah AA has been the most complicated setting to wrap my head around in my research so far.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Happy New Year everyone, I hope 2019 treats you all fantastically
Into the Breach was my game of 2018, though Slay the Spire is utterly fantastic too, who needs AAA games?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Happy New Year everyone, I hope 2019 treats you all fantastically
Into the Breach was my game of 2018, though Slay the Spire is utterly fantastic too, who needs AAA games?

I dunno, there's been quite a few really great AAA games in recent years that caught my interest, most notably Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. That's as AAA as it gets, but really scratched an itch for me (watching Xena in my youth might have something to do with that).

Still, the number of indie games that are exploring different genres and themes and subjects are ever growing in number and quality.

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017
Happy New Year nerds. Finished Battletech recently, it's a great game. Brings me back the feelings as a kid playing those Front Mission games on dem Gameboys.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
they literally just gave away Sins Rebellion for free weeks ago and now its in a bundle :p

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I started using my PS4 controller on my PC with Steam and now even when it's connected by cable (to my PC) it no longer does the fading color thing to indicate the battery is charging

Is there a way to change this so I can see if my the battery is charging?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I will write my GOTY votes in here to share them too:

Lets start with the normal games, from lowest to top position_

5. Monster Hunter World. It is Monster Hunter, on PC. It improves a lot on what monster hunting should be with the areas feeling much better connected without any loading between them. Hunting feels responsive and there hasnt been too much dumbing down of mechanics to target the main stream. A great game. However, the lackluster number of monsters as well as PC being treated as a secondary target, with waiting time for content puts it down.

4. Two-point hospital. A great tycoon game that brings back the feeling of the early 2000s with that classic sense of humor and complex simplicity. 2018 was a great year for tycoon games, and this one was the best.

3. Frostpunk. An interesting take on citybuilding, where your morality is taken into account and where there are no easy choices. One of the best approaches to what surviving would take a toll on us and whether or not it was worth it. Similarly to two-point hospital, 2018 was a great year for citybuilding games (and 2019 looks to follow on that!) and Frostpunk was probably the best.

2. Into the Breach. It was going to be hard to make a game that was better than FTL. And somehow Subset Games managed to do it. Tons of replayability. Much more complex than it seems and just... great

1. Dragon Quest 11. DQ is most likely not the best game I played in 2018. DQ is probably not the best RPG I played in 2018. But the inner DQ fanboy in me is just too happy first to see a new DQ coming to the west, with impressive grafics and a nice and classic DQ feeling. I never though I would see DQ in PC and yet here it is.

Now, DLC of the year is hard. Lots of nice DLC and expansions were launched but in the end I was inbetween Stellaris (with both Apocalypse and Megacorp changing the game abruptely) or what ended up being the winner: CK2's Holy Fury. How is it possible to release an expansion 6 years after the game has launched and after it has received so many updates and be able to make the best content for the game? It greatly enhances the role playing ability, with many more events, dueling and ability to try and make rivals and friends easily. It revamps Crusades and Christianism, making it feel more dinamyc and less gamey. It completely changes how Pagans can reform religion, giving more options to the player and creating more interesting playthroughs. It adds a whole new area with Mali and heavily redesigned the map. And to top it off, it add the ability to randomize the map giving it nearly limitless playing options (and Holy Furry being a fucking great joke content). Just unbelievable that this expansion could come in and add so much to an already nearly perfect game.

EA of the year- Slay the Spire. It was hard to find an EA game that had started this year and Slay the Spire did launch in late 2017. However this year is where most of it came to fruition. A pretty interesting and deep combat style with lots of nice interactions and replayability. Heads up to buy it before the sale ends as it will soon leave EA and there will be a small price increase.

Turd of the year- Fallout 76. I was lucky not to have the displeasure of playing or owning it, however seeing some of my more Bethesda fans just oblierate this game and feel so dissapointed, as well as the huge mess that the game was, and is, and probably will be forever, it just needs to be my turd of the year. Bethesda has been coasting by for two generations with an open world simplified RPG with no major updates to its style despite other companies continuously improving their Open Worlds. It seems that the honey moon period with Bethesda has finally ended and gamers have realized that there are better options... and that they dont have to be as buggy. Hopefully Bethesda learns something and greatly improves everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.