• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 gifts from sixteen-bit

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from sixteen-bit sixteen-bit!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
I have a less than 6 months old logitech g502 hero. When i hold down the left mouse button, it sometimes stop working and will only work if i release the button and hold it again.

This screws me over in shooting games. Is it time for a new mouse? 😑

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I need to buckle down and get back to playing Disco E this week. It's the only thing keeping me from doing my goty stuff.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
oh yeah, I did start it but didn't get too far. I guess I should give it some more time.

should I be playing it on the "intended" difficulty or is that only for masochists?
It's definitely the intended difficulty in that it really requires you to balance the survival mechanics with the necessary story missions and copious optional content while trying to keep npcs you care about alive. Just isn't enough time in the day to save everyone or come close to seeing every event and it really works thematically.

Can adjust on the fly if you really hit some impossible wall but I'd definitely start on default at least and look for tips before lowering it. Is an achievement for staying on the default difficulty if you want that hot gamerscore still lol

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
The Gog galaxy 2 integrations keep disconnecting and it makes it unusable for me, too much of a hassle to keep reconnecting to every service and put credentials over and over again. Then there is the steam controller that i want to use sometimes which means i have to open the shortcuts on steam anyway if i want different profiles.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC screenshot thread needs love 😭

I always wanna post in that thread but I'm too nervous. Last time I did, some people were really rude to me because I don't use screenshot programs and keep the HUD on since I like 'gameplay accurate' screenshots. Hopefully those people aren't there now but it still makes me nervous.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Uzzy being banned there's no way to put in any votes for GOTY/GOTD.

624289297599692814.png

lol, the fix is in!

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanna post in that thread but I'm too nervous. Last time I did, some people were really rude to me because I don't use screenshot programs and keep the HUD on since I like 'gameplay accurate' screenshots. Hopefully those people aren't there now but it still makes me nervous.
I stopped browsing the PC screenshot threads for similar reasons. That was way back on GAF though but it doesn't sound like things have improved much! :(

SteveWinwood You are welcome. :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Those same people probably wonder why the thread is dead too

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Steam Link app is really good. Been replaying GTA IV and doing my first play through of The Witcher 3 lately and both I've been playing exclusively through the Steam Link hardware and Steam Link app on my Apple TV.

Yesterday I had some friends over and we played some GTA IV. Neither one of them could tell that it wasn't running on hardware in the same room.

Edit: my one gripe is that for some reason it streams in limited RGB, not full RGB. Wonder if it's a limitation of my GTX 970's hardware encoder.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped browsing the PC screenshot threads for similar reasons. That was way back on GAF though but it doesn't sound like things have improved much! :(

SteveWinwood You are welcome. :)

No, this happened on ERA.

Yeah like, I totally get that taking fancy screenshots is a skill/art and I admire them, but I really just want a place to post fun moments from games, or out-of-context hilarity like this:

bTncnqS.jpg

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, I totally get that taking fancy screenshots is a skill/art and I admire them, but I really just want a place to post fun moments from games, or out-of-context hilarity like this:
We've gone a good long while without incident. Last year, I added a new rule to the OP that said "don't be a dick." I didn't include it this year because I didn't think I needed to. People are much more chill now.

It's true there are some people that have an overly idealized vision for what that thread should be... but I personally think that screenshot threads on the forum with the most users in the world should be more inclusive. If anyone starts poopooing screenshots posted there, they'll be ousted. Morrigan will back me up. I think :)

But since you guys aren't visiting... FINE. I'll post a few of my recent Witcher 3 shots here. Mods keeping this game looking like it could still have been released last year. I'll resize them so I'm not taking up a ton of space :)

icHPqP.png

icFHO5.png

iUFX07.png

iUHKOC.png

iU1mrz.png

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice to hear, Jim2. I'll try posting there some time, then!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
We've gone a good long while without incident. Last year, I added a new rule to the OP that said "don't be a dick." I didn't include it this year because I didn't think I needed to. People are much more chill now.

It's true there are some people that have an overly idealized vision for what that thread should be... but I personally think that screenshot threads on the forum with the most users in the world should be more inclusive. If anyone starts poopooing screenshots posted there, they'll be ousted. Morrigan will back me up. I think :)

But since you guys aren't visiting... FINE. I'll post a few of my recent Witcher 3 shots here. Mods keeping this game looking like it could still have been released last year. I'll resize them so I'm not taking up a ton of space :)

icHPqP.png

icFHO5.png

iUFX07.png

iUHKOC.png

iU1mrz.png
That last shot especially is amazing, I visit the thread sometimes but not regularly.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
damn i shouldn't be reading this thread while i don't have a pc

im currently playing witcher 3 on console and those screenshots...🥺

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to do my modded TW3 playthrough. I was gonna do the whole series again but I got 10 minutes into TW1 and was like "why am I doing this". I've beaten 1 and 2 like 5 times, I am 100% never touching them again lmao

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I can indeed back up Jim in that the thread feels more welcoming and chill lately, at least I think so!

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys using mods and stuff to take these screen shots? I've always wondered.

uWHBqkp.png

Games I stalled on and have no real desire to go back to them. Well two of them I dropped due to tecnical reason.
4 of these games were last played in 2016 and 2017.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys using mods and stuff to take these screen shots? I've always wondered.

uWHBqkp.png

Games I stalled on and have no real desire to go back to them. Well two of them I dropped due to tecnical reason.
4 of these games were last played in 2016 and 2017.

Did Bayonetta start getting horrible crashes for you halfway through too?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

icHPqP.png

icFHO5.png

iUFX07.png

iUHKOC.png

iU1mrz.png
Is this vanilla Witcher 3?

RR30

Oct 22, 2018

You have a list of graphics mods you're using? Playing through for the first time now and didn't use any of them. But don't mind trying some.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Did Bayonetta start getting horrible crashes for you halfway through too?

I don't recall having much issues with Bayonetta last time I played. Did this happned at a later point in the game? because I didn't get very far.
Darksiders 3 frame-rate took a nose dive (I couldn't find any information to way that was happening). Remember Me had random controller issues and odd graphic/animation glicthes in some sports — the former pretty much made the game unplayable.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on Escape from Tarkov after playing a bit over the last 2 days.... The main difficulty of that game is being able to only play a few minutes ever 20minutes because it takes 10 to 15 min to matchmake into a raid... Makes it super frustrating trying to get better when you can barely play...

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking to play a horror type game similar to amnesia or alien isolation. I have quite a few thanks to epic store freebies and a small collection over time. Not sure which to play, also have xbox game pass and just not that interested in pathologic 2 atm.

Here are a few candidates:
Outlast
Penumbra overture
Soma
Conarium
observer
layers of fear

Plus some games on xbox pc game pass...
Blair Witch
State of mind?

These are just the games I am aware of.

I am looking for a game that is not super heavy on dialogue or reading, that is not intense mechanically and is horror and/or sci fi.

I loved alien isolation and amnesia darkest descent. But have not played through entirely a game like it in years.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall having much issues with Bayonetta last time I played. Did this happned at a later point in the game? because I didn't get very far.
Darksiders 3 frame-rate took a nose dive (I couldn't find any information to way that was happening). Remember Me had random controller issues and odd graphic/animation glicthes in some sports — the former pretty much made the game unplayable.

I got to like Chapter 9 or so then the game just wouldn't boot no matter what. Annoyed, I still wanted to finish it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking to play a horror type game similar to amnesia or alien isolation. I have quite a few thanks to epic store freebies and a small collection over time. Not sure which to play, also have xbox game pass and just not that interested in pathologic 2 atm.

Here are a few candidates:
Outlast
Penumbra overture
Soma
Conarium
observer
layers of fear

Plus some games on xbox pc game pass...
Blair Witch
State of mind?

These are just the games I am aware of.

I am looking for a game that is not super heavy on dialogue or reading, that is not intense mechanically and is horror and/or sci fi.

I loved alien isolation and amnesia darkest descent. But have not played through entirely a game like it in years.

OK, I don't want to talk it up too much, but I loved Soma and you should definitely play it. It is a great sci fi story by the Amnesia devs but is not as scary.

As for the others on your list:

Outlast - I didn't get past the opening because it scared the pants off me. Maybe you want that.

Layers of Fear - so filled with jump scares that it stops being scary because you can start predicting them. Can't recommend.

Blair Witch - same devs as Layers of Fear and better, but has some of the same issues as the game goes on.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Man, escaping from the flooding Water Tree in Ori was tough. But now I can swim, AND I got a slam attack!

Is it bad that I'm more compelled to keep playing this than going back to Halo? There I stopped in the middle of a mini-mall evacuation facing a bunch of brutes and both squaddies and civvies constantly get in my way or charge the enemy on higher ground, so I can't just snipe them methodically.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So, this article is a year old but I just stumbled onto it today. It talks about the first crop of Steam Early Access games (primarily Kenshi), and also raises some interesting points.

Really worth a read in full, but I'll highlight the most thought-provoking portion from the end:
At a time when big-tech companies are being increasingly scrutinised for their social responsibilities, Valve's hands-off approach to managing Steam is not a good look. It's hard to know precisely what percentage of Early Access projects have been successful, how many have failed, and how many linger on like Kick It. But even if only a small percentage of the fruit in a greengrocers is rotten, it shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to avoid it. It should be off the shelves.

With Kenshi, there's no question that Early Access has been of great benefit to the game. If Kick It! remains in limbo, Kenshi will be the last of the original 12 games to see a proper launch. For Hunt, it's a curiously melancholy moment. "To me it means I can start a new game, finally. I'll still continue fixing stuff, the important stuff, but it's the point where I can find time for another project," he says.

I've never really considered Valve's responsibility in terms of Early Access before, but the grocer comparison is apt. Games that are abandoned mid-development should be marked as such and moved into their own category so as to make it clear to everyone.
They redesigned Geralt for a reason, you know.

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I don't want to talk it up too much, but I loved Soma and you should definitely play it. It is a great sci fi story by the Amnesia devs but is not as scary.

As for the others on your list:

Outlast - I didn't get past the opening because it scared the pants off me. Maybe you want that.

Layers of Fear - so filled with jump scares that it stops being scary because you can start predicting them. Can't recommend.

Blair Witch - same devs as Layers of Fear and better, but has some of the same issues as the game goes on.

Thx for the thoughts.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
So, this article is a year old but I just stumbled onto it today. It talks about the first crop of Steam Early Access games (primarily Kenshi), and also raises some interesting points.

Really worth a read in full, but I'll highlight the most thought-provoking portion from the end:

I've never really considered Valve's responsibility in terms of Early Access before, but the grocer comparison is apt. Games that are abandoned mid-development should be marked as such and moved into their own category so as to make it clear to everyone.

That's why for about 95% of early access titles (Similar to games going into kickstarter) I just go "Oh that looks neat, maybe it will be cool eventually" and wishlist it or follow it and ignore or forget about it until it actually exists as a game.

The last early access game I ended up getting was Risk of Rain 2 and thats because I loved the first one and they showed off their development plan followed by sticking to it. So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.