• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 gifts from an anonymous user

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from an anonymous user!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Anonymous said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Cook, Serve, Delicious! - Won by BoosterDuck BoosterDuck (16 entries)
  • Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! - Won by weemadarthur weemadarthur (33 entries)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm spending Saturday morning on Nexus downloading Witcher 3 mods...

Finally time to see how this game shines on PC. (Finished it all years ago on PS4)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I am already. :p

I'm trying to go for the HD Retesture stuff and this Phoenix Lighting, among others. Damn near everything has some pre-requisites it seems. My Mod list is going to look insane.

Most issues I had was with mods that kinda do similar things. For example changing duration of day/night cycle, Friendly Meditation and similar mods that control ToD can be tricky to put to work together.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
JccK6fo.png

Don't forget to vote for the Game of the Year/Game of the Decade! Drop me a PM for the voting form. Voting closes this weekend!

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
GOTD voting made me double check the release dates for my list, and I'm surprised at how many there launched during the first 2 years of the decade:

Portal 2 (2011)
Dark Souls (2011)
Mount & Blade: Warband (2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)

I hope the new decade will start as strongly as the last one did.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Send in my GOTY / GOTD vote. If anyone is interested:

PC GOTY
1. RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2
2. Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice
3. A Plague Tale: Innocence
4. Baba Is You
5. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order™

Ongoing GOTY
Celeste - Chapter 9 was Celeste at its best and it's crazy that this was a completely free update.

Turd Of The Year
Trials Rising - Not a bad game, because the gameplay and tracks are pretty much the best in the franchise but the overall structure and technical problems are so just so deeply disappointing that I have a love/hate relationship with this game.

PC GOTD
1. FEZ
2. DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy / 逆転裁判123 成歩堂セレクション
4. The Witness
5. Portal 2
6. 428: Shibuya Scramble
7. Celeste
8. Return of the Obra Dinn
9. Alien: Isolation
10. Bayonetta

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I have been thinking of getting an Android TV and I guess game streaming would be important, so anyone here has experience with it?
Thanks!
Edit:

-I need an Android TV addon, not a new TV!

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I have been thinking of getting an Android TV and I guess game streaming would be important, so anyone here has experience with it?
Thanks!

I have Samsung QLED TV with Steam Link with wired connection and i had no issues. My X1S gamepad (one with BT) connects to TV without issues and works with Steam Link with no issues, same goes with BT M&K.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

I have Samsung QLED TV with Steam Link with wired connection and i had no issues. My X1S gamepad (one with BT) connects to TV without issues and works with Steam Link with no issues, same goes with BT M&K.
OK, will edit this :

May 30, 2018
OK, will edit this :
shield tv and it's not even a contest. i bought mine in 2015 and it's still getting updates and runs like a dream.

you could get that shield tv stick version they just released but i don't have any experience with that so i can't comment. but shield tv is king.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Voted. I didn't play nearly as many games as most people, because

a) I'm pretty bad at games, and it takes me forever to get through even relatively short games (case in point: a 99% run of Ori on Normal difficulty took me just over 20 hours)
b) My top 2 GOTD games were basically all I played for like 3 years this decade.

2019 GOTY:
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
2. GreedFall
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Metro Exodus
5. Glass Masquerade 2

GAMES OF THE DECADE
1) Age of Empires 2 (2013)
-I played this for just under 1400 hours. I was never into it back when I was an RTS junkie in early 2000s, because back then teenage me craved flashy, Blizzard-like stories and presentation. But coming back to it in 2015, (I think), this became by go-to comfort food. I'm a history nerd; This game covered an incredibly interesting historic period where the world wasn't yet dominated by Western Europe. The 3 new expansions that got released for HD continued to expand that scope; And then there was the custom content- Both on the Workshop, and older, legacy stuff (nearly 2 decades' worth by now!) on Age of Kings Heaven. I joined the community, I reviewed scenarios and gave feedback to people who went on to be recruited by Forgotten Empires to work on the DE versions of AoE games; I started watching pros play AoK, and watched strategy videos- I had no intention of going online, but I enjoyed watching others play the game I love on such a high level; Also watching the best player in the world struggle through single player campaigns was a barrel of laughs;
I can't imagine this decade without AoK HD. It's as simple as that.

2) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
-Hard to be unbiased, since I read all the books, TW1 is one of my most replayed games EVER, and I'm an unabashed GOG fanboy. Still, Witcher 3 is probably the ultimate complete package of a game. It raised the bar for open-world RPGs in terms of writing and quest design; it created a world that was astonishingly fun to explore; it gave a moving main story, that served as a good enough canvass for the mind-blowingly good and memorable, character-driven side-stories.
I love this game. I never finished "Blood & Wine" because at one point in the story I was faced with a choice that I did not want to make, because I kne that either outcome would be bad for characters I cared about. I walked away, and never booted it up again. It's the only game whose story hit me like that.

3) Batman Arkham City
-I love the entire Arkham series, but City is my most-played, and it is still the perfect blend of world-building, open-world-ish metroidvania, side missions, and the satisfying combat+stealth loop. The story is a convoluted mess spliced by epic boss fights; Batman as a character is flat, one-dimensional and boring; but the game itself is a joy to play. It's the perfct expression of the formula, and one I wi;l probably keep coming back to.

4) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
-A very sudden entry to this list, but since it's my GOTY, I guess it makes sense. It's a sublime game that opened an entire genre to me; It is the best combat-focused game I ever played; I had a ton of fun exploring every nook and cranny, and I am looking forward to more, similar games.

5) StarCraft II
-I bought "Wings of Liberty" on Day 1, in retail. I've loved Blizzard ever since first playing WarCraft II back in 1998 (I think?). I subsequently fell out with them after they pivoted towards always-online with Diablo III; I did not finish "Heart of the Swarm" that I played in 2018, because their storytelling is terrible compared to the heights of StarCraft and WarCraft III; and yet, it's impossible to deny that the mission design in StarCraft II is peak high-budget RTS. (I love Total War games, but I don't consider them RTSs the same way). IWings of Liberty is also probably responsible for getting me to give a damn about achievements in games; so that in itself is a big deal.

6) DeusEx: Human Revolution- Director's Cut
-My evolution from an RTS junkie to a more well-rounded player started with Deus Ex. I wanted a "thinking shooter", and so I found myself playing it. Then Invisible War. Then Bloodlines. And then, in 2006, i realized that this was largely it (except for System Shocks, and other experiments). The "Shooter with powers" genre that offered you multiple approaches to your mission was pretty barren. So when I heard about Deus Ex 3, I was all over that. I joined the Eidos forums; I found RockPaperShotgun through those forums and it became my favourite place on the internet for a while; And I played the game Day 1 on my crappy laptop, after checking out the "leaked demo" to make sure I could run it on an intgrated GPU (I could! my 19-inch Toshiba Satellite was, and still is, a mechanical wonder!)
Objectively, in most ways, Mankind divided is a much better game. But Human Revolution gave me a few memorable moments, both in exploration and in the way I played the immersive sim to find unorthodox solutions- that continue to stick with me to this day.

7)
Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
-If AoK HD was my comfort food RTS, Darksiders was my action-adventure blanket. I miss Legacy of Kain; I miss it so much it hurts sometimes; I've been playing all kinds of AA hack'n'slash and eurojank RPGs to try to recapture that magic, that feeling of an amazing story and a mishmash of concepts transcending clunky gameplay. Darksiders isn't it, but it's the closes I've come. A no frills action-adventure with some light character-building progression, a suitably Gothic tone and a convoluted backstory. The game is fun to play, it's huge, there's that whiff of Metroidvania in coming back to old places with new gadgets; and Death looks and moves a lot like Raziel; Darksiders III was one of my top games of 2018, and Genesis was a pleasant, albeit not ultra-memorable 2020 game. This game stands for all those like it I've tried and had some fun times with.

8) Shadowrun: Dragonfall- Director's Cut
-Shadowrun Returns was the first game I kickstarted. Dragonfall was the promised "second city" stretch goal that evolved into a brand new game- one I got for free as a backer. I loved the books as a kid, and I've always been fascinated by settings where magic and technology co-exist. Dragonfall is the best expression of that formula, but more than that, it symbolizes (to me) the promise of crowd-funding and the renessaince of genres we have seen because of it. Being my first crow-funding experience-and being so incredibly positive- meant I became really involved in Kickstarter, participating in a whole bunch of projects (and still occasionally contribute- see Chernobylite, for example). Kickstarter was a huge part of the decade, and Dragonfall, aside from being an excellent x-com-lite RPG, is my symbol of that.

9) Alpha Protocol
-I bought this in a Steam Sumer sale; I played it through like 6 times straight. THIS game is what made me an Obsidian fan. THIS is why I kickstarted Project Eternity; THIS is peak, Obsidian, best choice & consequence model in any RPG. In the words of Richard Cobbett " Would somebody please steal this design already? " I NEED more games like this. It was janky; it was low-budget; it was broken in some sections (Taipei especially). But it was also BRILLIANT. Sega, sell the IP to Microsoft, PLEAAASE.

10) E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
Before Eidos Montreal released Human Revolution in August of 2011, there was July 2011. There was E.Y.E.
E.Y.E. is a mess. It looks and plays like a Source mod.
E.Y.E. is amazing. Its guns feel punchy, its ragdolls fly everywhere, the physics engine allows you to conjure up pillars of fire, stack up cars, and jump as high as flying gunships to smash them out of the sky with your Hammer of Doom.
E.Y.E. is obtuse. Its character creation is incomprehensible; it bombards you with mechanical aug upgrades, psy powers, X-com-like research system a whole armory for you to pick from, and background Lore and dialogue that was hardly coherent in its native french and makes basically no sense in translation (fans had to make a mod to make the text make sense).
E.Y.E. is brilliant. It is a game that lets you min-max to do WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT in its loop of "shoot-stab-magic-hack-crush with cybernetics", provided you put in the time and spend your points wisely.
E.Y.E. is ugly. Some levels are drab and embody the worst of grey and brown of the last 2 genereations.
E.Y.E. is stunning. Other levels, like The Electric Sheep are examples of brilliant art direction (and there's a residential building with a winding staircase straight from the Matrix- and you can do some amazing stunts on it)
E.Y.E. is broken. The story makes no sense, you need to watch in-game tutorial videos (15 of them, I think) to understand ANYTHING.
E.Y.E. is genius. The gameplay is the purest expression of being a badass EVER.

You can dual wield a power katana and a pistol, deflectign bullets with the sword as you advance and shoot at the same time. You need to "research" a medkit before you can heal yourself. The hacking is a minigame, and losing means whatever you've been hacking - be it an enemy soldier, or an ATM- HACKS YOU BACK- and you end up with either a UI overlay saying "Hacked" or dead. The game bombards you with terminology like "Secretora Secretum" and "The Metastreumonic Force" and plays it straight. some enemies are literal behemoths that can one-shot you if they see you- but you can stil beat them. There's psy-powers to toss fireballs, spawn clones, spawn clones FROM INSIDE ENEMIES, like an alien chest-burster; not to mention tossing cars around with telekinesis. Put enough points into your cyber-legs and you can jump ON TOP of flying gunships where they can't hit you- or jump down and reduce an enemy to red pulp.

I love this game. It is the boldest take on Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Diablo, and Warhammer 40k rolled into one, dipped in some outlandish French sensibilities; It is one of the finest examples of the batshit brilliant things PC is capable of. And it is the best 20 bucks I've ever spent on a Day 1 indie game.

I may have gotten carried away a bit. But I have a lot to say about some of these games, :)

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
So the problems i had with Origin games occasionally not working with the Steam controller and Steam input in general are most likely solved by running steam as an administrator, i say most likely because i haven't tested it much.

Deleted member 55295

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm not a minecrst fan but any GOTD list with it missing from the top 10 ain't worth shit right? There's no denying the influence that games had on the industry

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a minecrst fan but any GOTD list with it missing from the top 10 ain't worth shit right? There's no denying the influence that games had on the industry
I mean there's an element of your own opinion/experiences in there as well.

I'd never deny Minecraft's influence, but I'd never put it on any personal favorites list either. I've never played it.

1 gift from an anonymous user

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from an anonymous user!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Withering Kingdom Arcane War - Won by Garchia3.0 Garchia3.0 (8 entries)

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Hopefully this doesnt come across like too much of a snob post however...144hz is a dangerous luxury. I have been playing a lot of Overwatch over the last few weeks and tonight accidentally made the settings default while in the menus which turned on a 60 fps cap.

Upon entering gameplay I could tell instantly something was wrong and the game just didn't seem to look right. It looked really jittery in motion. Never thought I would consider 60hz to look stuttery as the initial jump up when I got the monitor seemed smoother but not mind blowing...but now I am used to it I couldn't go back, at least in this game.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Hopefully this doesnt come across like too much of a snob post however...144hz is a dangerous luxury. I have been playing a lot of Overwatch over the last few weeks and tonight accidentally made the settings default while in the menus which turned on a 60 fps cap.

Upon entering gameplay I could tell instantly something was wrong and the game just didn't seem to look right. It looked really jittery in motion. Never thought I would consider 60hz to look stuttery as the initial jump up when I got the monitoseemed smoother but not mind blowing to me at the time but now I couldn't go back, at least in this game.

I'm not making the jump until my wallet can join me because of this reason. I can still adjust down to thirty but I know once I hit above 120 there will be no going back lolol.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite was influential, but I bet people would whine if it was on people's GOTD list.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had my fun with minecraft for like 20 hours in the creative mode, definitely would have been hooked with it if I was a bit younger. Now if I could craft a functioning copy of Victoria III inside it, then its GOTD chances would skyrocket.

Oct 25, 2017
Doom is starting to feel right several levels in. I enjoyed the early levels but it could have ramped up a lot quicker. I set it to hard for a reason. Makes me want Serious Sam.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I haven't played probably most games that people would consider "influential" or "best".

Doesn't mean I can't have my own subjective opinion about games I have played.

Mentalist Good choice with Arkham City being on your GOTD. It's my favorite Arkham game too.

If you tally up the hours across the initial release with GaWFL, and the subsequent GOTY version, Arkham City's easily gonna be my 2nd most played game on Steam by a significant margin. (Witcher 3 won't count, because I played in on GOG). I did 100% NG+ runs on that game at least 3 times.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Somehow only just discovered the Game Filter feature in GeForce Exp. Using "Detail" with some modest changes and it really does improve every game lol. This is amazing.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I might play a subnautica-like in the Minecraft engine, but otherwise it's just a genre I have no interest in

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with Tarkov for a while....

I really want to love the game and the little I've played is really fun but the 10-15min matchmaking every raid is completely killing my interest in playing... I practice offline but at some point I need to go online to learn the game but fuck waiting 15min to get like 5 min of playtime before you get killed... I'm never gonna learn like that.

Also I found out today that the SCAV cooldown timer is not going down while outside of the game? That's really fucking dumb....

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm done with Tarkov for a while....

I really want to love the game and the little I've played is really fun but the 10-15min matchmaking every raid is completely killing my interest in playing... I practice offline but at some point I need to go online to learn the game but fuck waiting 15min to get like 5 min of playtime before you get killed... I'm never gonna learn like that.

Also I found out today that the SCAV cooldown timer is not going down while outside of the game? That's really fucking dumb....
What is the SCAV cooldown for, if you don't mind explaining? I don't play Tarkov.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
What is the SCAV cooldown for, if you don't mind explaining? I don't play Tarkov.
SCAVs are the NPCs populating the maps during raids in addition to the other players.

You have the option to spawn in a raid as a SCAV yourself. You get the very barebone random loadout that the SCAVs uses but otherwise it plays exactly like when you are playing with your real character. If you manage to escape alive you can keep anything you have looted throughout the raid but if you die you don't really lose anything since you're not playing your real character. In a way it's "free loot" but it's also a very good way for newbies to practice the game online without risking losing the little gear and money they have when starting the game.

They put a cooldown on the ability to spawn as a SCAV so that it doesn't get abused. It was originaly 1 hour when the game first came out, they dropped it down to 20min a while ago.

You can eventually unlock upgrades to your hideout homebase to reduce the cooldown but you never get rid of it completely.

I get why the cooldown is there but the fact it only counts down while you are online is really stupid... So you wait 20min for the option to become available again and then you click Ready and you have to wait another 10-15min for the matchmaking to finally put you in a raid. The timer starts counting down again only once you are out of the raid.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
SCAVs are the NPC populating the maps during raids in addition to the other players.

You have the option to spawn in a raid as a SCAV yourself. You get the very barebone random loadout that the SCAVs use but otherwise it plays exactly like when you are playing with your real character. If you manage to escape alive you can keep anything you have looted throughout the raid but if you die you don't really lose anything since you're not playing your real character. In a way it's "free loot" but it's also a very good way for newbies to practice the game online without risking losing their stuff (which is a much bigger deal for a newbie that has no cash and barely any gear).

They put a cooldown on the ability to spawn as a SCAV so that it doesn't get abused. It was originaly 1 hour when the game first came out, they dropped it down to 20min a while ago.

You can eventually unlock upgrades to your hideout base to reduce the cooldown but you never get rid of it completely.

I get why the cooldown is there but the fact it only counts down while you are online is really stupid... So you wait 20min for the option to become available again and then you click Ready and you have to wait another 10-15min for the matchmaking to finally put you in a raid. The timer starts counting down again only once you are out of the raid.
Ok, I can see why that's irritating. Those wait times are brutal.

I get bored with two minute queues in Overwatch as a tank... so I dunno how anyone does the longer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.