• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If PC Gaming Era was a football tema it would be...

• England

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Belgium

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • France

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Toronto Raptors

Votes: 102 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
the whole unreal assets share switching to 88-12 kind of supports that idea that you should at the very least challenge the fees valve, apple, google and everyone else are asking

i'm really puzzled why anyone would just 'trust' companies to be reasonable, you always need to see the receipts

i'm guessing the game makes up for it by having pretty deep gameplay mechanics, or at least progression systems that keep you engaged past the point of needing a story

i'm generally story-driven so for me that's kind of disappointing, but that approach is super valid and it has worked for me in other games like dragon's dogma in which the story is very barebones but the setting is appealing and the gameplay is really fun so i don't have much of a problem

This is why people end up getting burned on Mon Hun while other people swear by it. It takes quite a bit of time investment to even ask yourself if you like the game due to how deep the combat and mechanics are but if you find out that you can't get into the game still then you've wasted at least 15 hours coming to that realization. It does not have anything else to keep it going if the gameplay does not appeal to someone.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I was wondering what happened to the PC Gaming thread. Didn't see it for days. Just found it again after using the search function. Thought it had been locked or deleted instead it was renamed and stickied. Wtf

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting Rome 2.

If I'm going to regret something, it's best that it's a game.
I was wondering what happened to the PC Gaming thread. Didn't see it for days. Just found it again after using the search function. Thought it had been locked or deleted instead it was renamed and stickied. Wtf
It's stickied in gaming at literally the top of the page... and IIRC was linked at the end of the old thread.

you... you can't miss it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

The Community Spotlight system does actually assume everyone who's a regular poster in a thread Watches it, and uses the All Watched Threads page. :o

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Hows the Driver San Fran port? Worth ~$12?

PCGW doesn't have much info, and doesn't state whether it goes to 4K so I'm kinda skeptical.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
the whole unreal assets share switching to 88-12 kind of supports that idea that you should at the very least challenge the fees valve, apple, google and everyone else are asking

i'm really puzzled why anyone would just 'trust' companies to be reasonable, you always need to see the receipts
im not the most economics guy but when someone who owns a large market share suddenly lowers their prices or pays it's suppliers more than its competitors it's seen as a predatory practice to force others with lower market share out. when people ask for steam to do that it has never made much sense to me

i mean I agree that we should always be questioning what we believe with new evidence all the time. but epic paying people more for assets isn't really equivalent to game sales. If valve still had their paid mod experiment going then that'd be something much more akin we could directly compare it to

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Companies can be trusted to be reasonable up to a point, because otherwise they start having anti-competitive or market-share investigations. Like, MS was stupidly unreasonable when they bundled IE with Windows in the browser wars, because anyone could see it was anti-competitive, and the resulting investigation left a mark for everyone to see.

As has been noted, there's a lot of costs in digital distro, and some of them are just assumed to not be "costs" - server maintenance is an obvious one. But there's other things, like the "free" Steamworks API development is actually built-into the 30% that Valve take. There's no extra cost for them, no, but the 30% means the dev/pub is helping to pay for Valve staff to make sure the trading card market is maintained, or the gifting system can't be gamed with stolen credit cards, or for VAC, or for Steam Controller development.

Steam's a really weird one, in that there's a ton of dev/pub benefits that any other company would charge extra for, or would pass the costs onto the consumer (obvious example there is paying for online play).

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Well so Monster Hunter World got rid of the really tedious stuff. You don't need to maintain weapon sharpening stones and hunting down monsters involves finding some sign of the monster (footprint, scratch, mucus, etc.) and letting your scout flies help find out what direction they went. The more you find of a certain kind of monster, the easier your scout flies are able to find one. At that point you are just killing monsters so you can get materials so you can build better weapons and armor so you can take on bigger monsters. Rinse and repeat. When you kill a monster you get info on that monster type's weaknesses so you can better prepare to kill more of those monsters quickly to get your materials. There's also some farming to get materials for special ammo and food, but World makes that really easy by marking everything on the map. Oh, and there are a ton of different weapons types to try that all play differently.

There is a story, but it's really basic big dragon stuff and mostly told in a few larger set piece missions you reach along the way.

As someone who is mostly into narrative games I thought I would find it boring but it is a weirdly compelling gameplay loop. Although the giant multilevel environments and kitties help a lot.
multilevel environments and kitties sound great! and annoying stuff getting removed sounds interesting, tho maybe i feel like i'm playing a less monster hunter-y monster hunter, huh

but yeah i get what you mean, and honestly i've gone through most of god eater with that game having such a shit story so yeah, the gameplay loop in these kinds of games is pretty satisfying either way

This is why people end up getting burned on Mon Hun while other people swear by it. It takes quite a bit of time investment to even ask yourself if you like the game due to how deep the combat and mechanics are but if you find out that you can't get into the game still then you've wasted at least 15 hours coming to that realization. It does not have anything else to keep it going if the gameplay does not appeal to someone.
yeah, this is the reason i'm not buying it on launch, if the game is so decided by having fun combat mechanics then i'm gonna wait until it's a cheaper risk :T

im not the most economics guy but when someone who owns a large market share suddenly lowers their prices or pays it's suppliers more than its competitors it's seen as a predatory practice to force others with lower market share out. when people ask for steam to do that it has never made much sense to me

i mean I agree that we should always be questioning what we believe with new evidence all the time. but epic paying people more for assets isn't really equivalent to game sales. If valve still had their paid mod experiment going then that'd be something much more akin we could directly compare it to
yeah you bring good points. this is kind of i'm not taking any strong decisions based off of it, but it's something that came out of nowhere and when i see people have it stuck in their heads that these numbers are ideal, fair and set in stone, this just looks like a reminder that they're probably none of those

Companies can be trusted to be reasonable up to a point, because otherwise they start having anti-competitive or market-share investigations. Like, MS was stupidly unreasonable when they bundled IE with Windows in the browser wars, because anyone could see it was anti-competitive, and the resulting investigation left a mark for everyone to see.

As has been noted, there's a lot of costs in digital distro, and some of them are just assumed to not be "costs" - server maintenance is an obvious one. But there's other things, like the "free" Steamworks API development is actually built-into the 30% that Valve take. There's no extra cost for them, no, but the 30% means the dev/pub is helping to pay for Valve staff to make sure the trading card market is maintained, or the gifting system can't be gamed with stolen credit cards, or for VAC, or for Steam Controller development.

Steam's a really weird one, in that there's a ton of dev/pub benefits that any other company would charge extra for, or would pass the costs onto the consumer (obvious example there is paying for online play).
oh yeah valve contributes a lot, it's not a coincidence that steam is as big as it is, and they've done a lot of things right over the years

i just want to remind people that it's ok to question the way things are because that's how progress works. steam was born out of valve questioning physical games, and there's no reason to believe this iteration of steam is the best

Today I am reminded how many trash NeoGAF accounts resurrected here.

None of you of course. You are all fabulous.
....but i'm the trashiest....

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It's pretty hot, was looking up the solution to that sliding puzzle because fuck those(tho I messed up enough that I had to finish it on my own) and was blown away by the difference.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently on May square Enix told they were working on a fix for Type 0 issues due to a Win10 update, we are in July still nothing.
SE and patches, lol.
Meanwhile they keep selling the game even if it's unplayable (with no workaround at all) on updated Win 10 pcs.

Also I'm curious if they will release the stand-alone version of Comrades on Steam, because the multiplayer is simply DEAD. Comrades should be really free with in-game cosmetic options to me, it's the only way to save the game. I'm pissed because I had fun with Comrades, the weapons modification is a nice and funny system and the Monster Hunter-like mood (way easier) and short missions were ideal when you had nothing else to play, but there's too much grind and the game really lacks variety or more missions. I guess the summer update should be big enough if they hope people will spend money on the stand-alone version of the game.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably better than SE avoids patching Nier: Automata. It would only corrupt Yoko Taro's genius.

This is the only possible explanation.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
05FEFA54062BBFDAE91D77017732B9D2E7CBA097
The environmental textures are so good ungh. The detail, the readable text when you zoom in, etc.

Of course it is just textures so it's not as tho the game has modern tessellation

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i'm guessing the game makes up for it by having pretty deep gameplay mechanics, or at least progression systems that keep you engaged past the point of needing a story

i'm generally story-driven so for me that's kind of disappointing, but that approach is super valid and it has worked for me in other games like dragon's dogma in which the story is very barebones but the setting is appealing and the gameplay is really fun so i don't have much of a problem
Eh that doesnt really make much sense. It's a asset store, not a game store. Doesn't really take as nearly much to run. They also only did it because they have a multi billion dollar game that makes them being able to afford such a move, a move made entirely to boost their business further by making more Devs use Unreal.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Try changing the haptic feedback type in controller configuration
I can't find any such setting, just Rumble on or off.

Also, looks like this isn't a Steam problem, it's a Windows problem? I just tried out Overwatch, which of course doesn't use Steam, and the controller also stops vibrating after vibrating for a few seconds. Really easy to happen playing as Bastion.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Both the Xbox One and PS4 Controllers do it, they're connected via Bluetooth.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Anyone picking up the new Adventure Time game?

Seems it'll be $40, but I'll at least aim to get it down the line when it is cheaper ;P

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
If it's good, haven't been many previews and I'm bit bummed it's a turn based jrpg style game. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I doubt the combat system will be particularly interesting along the lines of your SMTs.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I was going to say oh my god Shattered Memories devs and then realized they also did those mediocre Assassin's Creed platformers so eh.

Adventure Time is brilliant and ripe for a big budget game but sadly unlikely to happen given how Cartoon Network has handled it as of late and the show finally ending. Alas, hopefully this is decent to good.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
iS THERE a way to make the mouse cursor appear when playing games in big picture mode? I can't get my cursor to show up when I have xanadu next running using it :V

Ouch, from Sudeki (i know, i know) and Shattered Memories devs reduced to make game based on some kids cartoon.
Nothing wrong with making games based on kid shows, esp. when said kid show is good and fun.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
What's going on with Amazon?

LewieP has been commenting on it on his Twitter:

and

Edit:

Also, via the Frostpunk thread on Gaming-side

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/8yrgaq/amazon_frostpunk_299_i_think_this_is_a_screw_up/

I decided to pay $3 to play detective. It's piracy. Someone took the GOG version of the game, repackaged it with their own installer signed and published by "Ace Media Group LLC" and submitted it to Amazon. The installer looks fairly legit but the uninstaller doesn't work. They left GOG-specific metadata files and Galaxy64.dll (for GOG Galaxy client integration) in the install dir.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Got in touch with Amazon support chat and they OK-ed the refund.

Sounds like Amazon needs some C U R A T I O N

While still in early access, it is essentially already finished with everything the developers initially had promised.
Everything they're doing now basically just additional support.
I see thanks for the info. It is USD 10 atm but I don't think I'll be able to play it anytime soon D;

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
That's fucked up. I knew that price was too good to be true.

It is kind off funny though considering CD Projekt started out by selling cracked copies on CD's. We've come full circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.